Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Billy_Delicious
Sep 3, 2018
I'm completely new to MTG and am hooked following a couple days worth of Arena. Just a brief question: are there any particularly good beginner resources at all? Youtube or text is fine, I just need to understand the core principles of the game really.

Also, a bonus question: in any TCG I usually play mill/discard decks, are any decks currently viable playing in my favourite assholish style?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Billy_Delicious posted:

I'm completely new to MTG and am hooked following a couple days worth of Arena. Just a brief question: are there any particularly good beginner resources at all? Youtube or text is fine, I just need to understand the core principles of the game really.

Also, a bonus question: in any TCG I usually play mill/discard decks, are any decks currently viable playing in my favourite assholish style?

Mill is not a very strong strategy atm, the experience of most people here who run into the occasional mill deck is to look on in a sort of detached amazement and beat them way more often than not.

There was some talk on the previous pages about cheap starter decks, and Blue/Green flash seemed to be the consensus option, so look into that if you want. It is kind of an assholish way to win as well, so you might still like it. If you want to build a mill deck later it might even have share some cards with Blue/Green flash. But honestly, don't build a mill deck.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Even when you're in a decent matchup with mill against some non-field control you still run into the situation where they play a couple 1-2 drop creatures and you're suddenly checkmated because removing or countering them leaves you vulnerable to their actual big threats but the piddling damage those creatures do each turn is also a faster clock than what you have.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
It should be noted that there's a couple special variant formats that come up every once in awhile (Pauper and Singleton) where a card named Persistent Petitioners makes mill much more viable. This is more due to other options being bad and Persistent Petitioners not being affected by the limits of those formats.

Billy_Delicious
Sep 3, 2018
That's a shame, but ah well, I understand its usually a pretty reductive archetype.

Ill check out that blue/green deck, thanks for tge recommend. Any good youtubers to follow in particular? Instructional or just good watches?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

ChrisBTY posted:

I only play fields and Golos because I incidentally pulled 4 fields and 3 Golos.
And it's not very different from my Yarok builds. And I do love me some Yarok decks.

Bruh just put Yarok in your deck she combos with BOTH Golos and Field

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Billy_Delicious posted:

Also this is a couple years out of date but it's the actual good beginner explanation of the game linked in the Arena client: https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/level-one/level-one-full-course-2015-10-05 It doesn't teach you the rules but important concepts of game strategy (like card advantage and tempo).

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Bust Rodd posted:

Bruh just put Yarok in your deck she combos with BOTH Golos and Field

I DID! I made my opponent scoop when I played Golos after, grabbed fields #3 and #4 and promptly poo poo out 14 zombies with Ethereal Absolution out.
I hate that I actually really like this deck. I love making stupid amounts of ETB triggers happen.
Unless those ETB triggers result from me attacking with Krenko with multiple Seasons of Growth out.

Doctor_Acula
May 24, 2011
I pretty much play exclusively aggro decks and I still dread Field matches.

Card needs to die. It just makes playing unfun when it's the same deck over and over.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
I'd be down with crafting golos except the mirror sounds absolutely miserable.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Doesn't jeskai fires just clarion away the zombies and beat them down with planeswalker dragons before they really come online? What you guys should do is hate jeskai fires out of the meta. Just make a deck dedicated to losing to golos and beating fires, until people stop playing fires. Then maybe golos will see a ban.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Darox posted:

Even when you're in a decent matchup with mill against some non-field control you still run into the situation where they play a couple 1-2 drop creatures and you're suddenly checkmated because removing or countering them leaves you vulnerable to their actual big threats but the piddling damage those creatures do each turn is also a faster clock than what you have.

What about the 5/4 flier for 2 that checks graveyards to attack/block? No good because it's an artifact?

E: costs two not three!

BrianBoitano fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Oct 8, 2019

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

A Moose posted:

Doesn't jeskai fires just clarion away the zombies and beat them down with planeswalker dragons before they really come online? What you guys should do is hate jeskai fires out of the meta. Just make a deck dedicated to losing to golos and beating fires, until people stop playing fires. Then maybe golos will see a ban.
The jeskai fires matchup isn't actually favored I don't think. They have ramp and you don't. It's maybe 50/50? Going second you're just going to be so behind without a perfect draw.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Oct 8, 2019

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
You have 4 Fires, but they have more than 4 ways to answer it (and also more ability to find those answers and, if you're on the draw, have ramped up to the point where they can answer your Fires on the same turn you play it). I think you're definitely disadvantaged on the draw, but maybe slightly advantaged on the play?

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
I guess I'm going to build Azorius Flyers but I want to know if there's a viable Angels and/or Vigilance deck around, which is what I've been playing so far.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Kraps posted:

I guess I'm going to build Azorius Flyers but I want to know if there's a viable Angels and/or Vigilance deck around, which is what I've been playing so far.

there isn't.

there was a bad angels deck before rotation but it lost key cards and now no longer exists.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Lagomorphic posted:

Trying to avoid bans is pointless. You're way more likely to "lose wildcards" just by your deck no longer being t1 once the next set comes out and they won't refund any wildcards for that.

what are the wildcards that would even be lost? I think aside from Golos and Fields, every other rare in the deck is played somewhere? Teferi, lands, Krasis... I guess agent of treachery isn't. anything else?

off the top of my head I can't think of any and I'm FAR too lazy to look at a decklist.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Azorious fliers also would be an awful deck to craft.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

Paul Zuvella posted:

Alright, what's an example of a good deck to craft with white in it.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Paul Zuvella posted:

I have to disagree.

It's probably not tier 1, but you can craft a decent Azorius flyers deck pretty easily because it incorporates a lot of commons and uncommons. That's really the nice thing about it, it's a decent deck on a budget. imo a pretty good option for someone new, or anyone with a limited amount of those precious R/MR wildcards. I'm at work so I'll try to remember to post mine later. You won't win any tournaments with it but you can play some Magic!

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Oct 8, 2019

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Kraps posted:

Golos field? :v:

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

Chomp8645 posted:

I have to disagree.

It's probably not tier 1, but you can craft a decent Azorius flyers deck pretty easily because it incorporates a lot of commons and uncommons. That's really the nice thing about it, it's a decent deck on a budget. imo a pretty good option for someone new, or anyone with a limited amount of those precious R/MR wildcards. I'm at work so I'll try to remember to post mine later. You won't win any tournaments with it but you can play some Magic!

Yeah that's really all I want, I'll be glad to see your deck.

Drewjitsu posted:

Golos field? :v:

I'd rather stab myself in the dick. Not very hard though tbh.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Billy_Delicious posted:

here you go

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/budget-magic-27-mono-blue-mill-standard-magic-arena

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Kraps posted:

Yeah that's really all I want, I'll be glad to see your deck.

I'd rather stab myself in the dick. Not very hard though tbh.

How about selesnya advenures? It's not a great deck, but it's okay (maybe like tier 2, 2.5)
4 Edgewall Innkeeper (ELD) 151
4 Faerie Guidemother (ELD) 11
4 Giant Killer (ELD) 14
4 Lovestruck Beast (ELD) 165
4 Shepherd of the Flock (ELD) 28
1 Trostani Discordant (GRN) 208
4 Venerated Loxodon (GRN) 30
4 Conclave Tribunal (GRN) 6
2 Flower // Flourish (GRN) 226
4 Once Upon a Time (ELD) 169
4 Raise the Alarm (M20) 34
2 Castle Ardenvale (ELD) 238
4 Temple Garden (GRN) 258
7 Plains (ANA) 56
8 Forest (ANA) 60

2 Devout Decree (M20) 13
3 Gideon Blackblade (WAR) 13
2 Glass Casket (ELD) 15
2 Knight of Autumn (GRN) 183
3 Questing Beast (ELD) 171
3 Vivien, Champion of the Wilds (WAR) 180

Billy_Delicious
Sep 3, 2018
Thanks for the link, will take a look at that list and see how much of it I can do. Any other advice is much appreciated!

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Kraps posted:

why does the deck have to be white, is this a freemagic thing?

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

I've encountered a couple grixis control builds with Ashiok, Unmoored ego, and Thought Erasure and it can really put a damper on golos field if you stumble a bit at the start. The mono black cat oven deck can be an issue if I don't draw Casualties of war also.

The deck does turn the corner really well if you can stabilize.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

TheTofuShop posted:

I've encountered a couple grixis control builds with Ashiok, Unmoored ego, and Thought Erasure and it can really put a damper on golos field if you stumble a bit at the start. The mono black cat oven deck can be an issue if I don't draw Casualties of war also.

The deck does turn the corner really well if you can stabilize.

I don't think the cat oven deck is that good against it, mainly due to Krasis, but it's pretty lol the first time they try and play Agent of Treachery, mouse over your cards for 30s, and end up stealing the oven.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Propaganda Hour posted:

At least it better have efficient land destruction in different colors than black/green. Ravager Wurm doesn't give me a lot of hope tho.

https://twitter.com/The_Sysbit/status/1180989574555799553?s=19

What makes it worse is the timing combinations of Field + Spell cast. I have a pure land destruction deck that can't touch it because by the time I destroy the Field they already produced two or three more zombies with Circuitous Route or Golos.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Lone Goat posted:

why does the deck have to be white, is this a freemagic thing?

No women too, aka the Jeff Hoogland special

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
I'm surprised I don't see more artifact destruction, what with Golos and all the powerful artifacts in Eldraine.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
If Golos is in play its already done its job, destroying it doesnt solve that

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Billy_Delicious posted:

Ah if only you started playing a few months ago you could've had the time of your life playing a Nexus (get an extra turn) self mill deck

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

AnEdgelord posted:

If Golos is in play its already done its job, destroying it doesnt solve that

Same with a lot of other artifacts, mainly the food tokens. Danse wants you to destroy its artifacts too.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I play a janky Ashiok deck that is pretty fun, it did a lot more damage against Scapeshift but will still lock out Golos's ETB

Edit: The thing I want to do with it for this Standard is somehow get a Narset - Folio of Fancies prison up

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Billy_Delicious posted:

That's a shame, but ah well, I understand its usually a pretty reductive archetype.

Ill check out that blue/green deck, thanks for tge recommend. Any good youtubers to follow in particular? Instructional or just good watches?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-UZjHl2kZ-6XKBLgbFgGAQ
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaxar6TBM-94_ezoS00fLkA
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd0kth9C1hqJiaoedeBZ0cQ
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3ZqFbpwxyp-sseip6nD9Iw
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXBcGBlVd14LN-gGk7GqX4A

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

IMJack posted:

I'm surprised I don't see more artifact destruction, what with Golos and all the powerful artifacts in Eldraine.
What cards are you expecting people to maindeck? Ugin, Knight of Autumn, and that's it I think.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc
Field is really stupid because it practically can't fail to go off, usually goes off stupidly quickly and the thing you need to do to activate it (ramp) is already insanely rewarding in itself. On top of the whole impossible to interact with thing. It should have been like 9 unique lands. I really shouldn't be facing down an active field on turn four.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Yeah that's the mill deck that beat my Fields deck. Fields mills itself pretty hard. I put in a single "shuffle your graveyard into your library" cantrip for that deck and the mirror (I decked myself in a mirror).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
https://twitter.com/VTCLA1/status/1181627010474483712?s=19