Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Darchangel posted:

Ooooooo... I actually liked the Baretta's styling in the Indy or Z-whatever body kit. That would fix the glaring wrong-wheel-driveness.

I had a 1990 GT for years and loved it, though the 3-speed slushbox on the V6 was kind of a drag.

The wheelbase of a C5 is 28 mm longer than that of a Beretta. Gonna file this one under "lottery projects".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

KozmoNaut posted:

They have a bunch of songs praising the resistance movements in various countries.

Yeah, and an ode to how cool the Bismarck was. A ship that had one offensive operation, got a lucky shot off against an aging HMS Hood that caused her magazines to detonate, then was run down and pounded into scrap and scuttled after her steering was crippled by a biplane torpedo bomber. In 1941.

All in total the ship was in commission nine months and three days.

They do a lot of this, glorifying war without any consideration to the context it happens in, and it comes down to making excuses for how cool the armies were even if they were used to commit atrocities on civilians.

I'm pretty sensitive to this because it comes up all the time in miniature wargaming from people who argue about liking the Wehrmacht 'aesthetic', but then quietly start putting out feelers to see if the group will put up with them being more and more openly bootlicking fash. So I may be reading into it too much, but I'm far from the only one.

Edit to add: Doesn't help that they keep 'mysteriously' taking gigs from far right groups, like the concert in Crimea for the Night Wolves bike club in Crimea.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Oct 9, 2019

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

toplitzin posted:

Made some twice cooked pork.

That looks fuckin' bangin!

UnkleBoB
Jul 24, 2000

Beginner's Version, Copyright,
1991 - Please Copy and Distribute

toplitzin posted:

Made some twice cooked pork.

Dang. I'd eat it.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I was That Guy at AutoZone tonight. Went to dump used oil and one of my drain pans cracked literally as I took it out of the Jeep. No oil in the Jeep, but an increasing trail of it as I walked through the store.

Apologized profusely and bought a new pan from them.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

meltie posted:

Ooooooft. Yeah, be really careful, burnout is on your immediate horizon.

(ditto - maybe it's something inherent to the line of work we both do?)

KozmoNaut posted:

After seeing a number of colleagues get ground down by stress, seeing my girlfriend almost break down over her PhD and working conditions, and flirting with a stress breakdown myself, you need a break.

Not just a day. You need to take a several week sick leave, and reduced responsibility/tasks when you come back. Trust me on this.

A stress breakdown fucks up your brain for a long time. No job is worth that.

Aaaaaand we got two winners. Laid up for three weeks then a slow start again at work.

And apparently it’s happy hour: my brother got the exact same deal the exact same day.

To reiterate: if you don’t say stop your body will say stop for you, and it’s neither pleasant nor efficient. Take care of yourselves goons. :hug:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

I wish I knew how to express that to my boss. I'm managing two shifts right now and am completely out of fucks after trying to give good leadership across 1pm to 8am.

Ansith
Nov 8, 2010

Elongated Baked Bean
Just got back from the Mazda dealership after going to make a deal on a new Mazda 3 for my mum.

I told her beforehand to say no to anything extra they offer (paint protection, tint, extra warrantys). The only extra she went for was floor mats because the ones with the hooks aren't too bad. I also talked her into going for something above base model because she was regretting not doing it last time.

Sales guy was good, didn't push the extra poo poo. Came up on the trade in value after I gave him a few numbers from similar cars, went a bit lower on the price of the car. My mum looked a few days previously, and came up with a higher price but without the worthless extras and with me pushing back on the price, she came out with a much better deal of a couple thousand less and a higher trim model.

Signs off on it all good, then the after sales lady comes out to do the sales pitch on paint protection, tint, and other useless poo poo. I straight up say no. She starts interrogating me about why not, then tells me that the paint will fail with no hope of warranty claims without paint protection, that the windows "without tint" have no UV protection at all, then asks why it matters to me since I won't be driving the car. I actually cracked over the last one and told her I'm ready to walk out the door if she keeps going with the aggressive sales pitch. Amazingly she didn't try anything else and was happy with a no thanks.

Now I really understand the dealership hate. Sales being sneaky is one thing but staring me down, being aggressive, and lying is just on a whole new level.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

I swear the one thing more expensive than owning a 4wd is owning a spa.... UV sanitiser unit failed and rusted out the allegedly stainless steel housing and was leaking. $600 later for a dual UV/Ozone unit, and then I have to fit it.

And I’ve gotta replace the covers too, and all the insulation in the cabinet cos it’s full of mouse damage from when our spa was beached in a sheep paddock.

Combined with $1600 for new shocks for the landcruiser this has been an expensive week!

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Ansith posted:

Tells me that the paint will fail with no hope of warranty claims without paint protection, that the windows "without tint" have no UV protection at all

"But our cars are terrible! You just have to buy these extras or your car won't last any time at all!

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Dealers are terrible snakes. Sadly they're a necessary evil for service, test drives, etc. Just wish they weren't so shady.

Not really sure how it's working out for Tesla, though. Would like to see what the experience there is like despite not wanting their vehicles.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Car dealers and the funeral industry are right up there with shady as gently caress types.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Don't know if anyone here is into baseball at all, but I took my son to a playoff game last night (Rays vs Astros) and it was amazing. The Rays play in a dome, it was packed full and LOUD, I've never been to a baseball game that was that loud with everyone going nuts, my son loved it and we had a great time. Best MLB game I've ever been to.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
great game too, i am supporting my ALE bretheren the Tampa Bay DevilRegular Rays

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Regarding burnout:
Before I worked at my current job (internal medicine) I spent two summers in psychiatry and had the fortune to work with a neuropsychiatrist. This meant that I, among other patients, saw my fair share of people that had "burned out". It's really scary. If you are unlucky you will be at such a reduced level of functioning that you can be unable to even walk into a grocery store. It should be taken very seriously, which is why I was surprised (or to be honest, not a all surprised) that in countries like the US, it's not even a medical problem but a workplace related problem. Scary to think how much life must suck for burnout paitients in the US.

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Oct 9, 2019

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

great game too, i am supporting my ALE bretheren the Tampa Bay DevilRegular Rays

I've been going to games since they came into the league in '98 and it was easily the best game with the best play (The Relay) I've ever seen in person.

Go Rays! One more game in Houston then bring on the Yankmees :v:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

IOwnCalculus posted:

I was That Guy at AutoZone tonight. Went to dump used oil and one of my drain pans cracked literally as I took it out of the Jeep. No oil in the Jeep, but an increasing trail of it as I walked through the store.

Apologized profusely and bought a new pan from them.

Nah. *That Guy* would have laughed about it and left, doing nothing.

MrOnBicycle posted:

Regarding burnout:
Before I worked at my current job (internal medicine) I spent two summers in psychiatry and had the fortune to work with a neuropsychiatrist. This meant that I, among other patients, saw my fair share of people that had "burned out". It's really scary. If you are unlucky you will be at such a reduced level of functioning that you can be unable to even walk into a grocery store. It should be taken very seriously, which is why I was surprised (or to be honest, not a all surprised) that in countries like the US, it's not even a medical problem but a workplace related problem. Scary to think how much life must suck for burnout paitients in the US.

In the US, *anything* mental is pretty much ignored and/or disregarded by insurance and workplace alike, despite lip-service to the contrary, and similar lip-service to "living healthy", "work-life balance," etc.. Out of sight, out of mind... oh, I guess it really is, only *you're* the one who's out of mind.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Suburban Dad posted:

Dealers are terrible snakes. Sadly they're a necessary evil for service, test drives, etc. Just wish they weren't so shady.

Not really sure how it's working out for Tesla, though. Would like to see what the experience there is like despite not wanting their vehicles.

Apparently it was much better before the push to go mass market with the Model 3, now you can find tons of horror stories on twitter and the main Tesla forum about delivery and service issues. Things like people returning the car within 7 days, and two months later their $50k hasn't been refunded. However, other people report great service, so it may depend on your location, the phase of the moon, if Mercury is in retrograde, etc. My sister has had one for a while and has no complaints at all.

Random question but this seems like the best spot for it - has anyone done the drive from Los Angeles to Prescott, AZ? More specifically, I'm wondering how the 60 to 71 to 89 part is. My buddy and I are looking at going to a special mead event there in November, but we'd have to leave at 7pm, and the last 120 miles look like they might be especially not fun to do late at night at the end of the long drive.

If anyone likes mead, I highly, highly recommend Superstition Meadery's Berry White, however it's $85 per 500ml bottle, and super hard to get unless you buy it at their special Berry White Day event.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

MrOnBicycle posted:

Regarding burnout:

I didn't notice until it started hurting my work, but now that I look back on it I haven't left the house more than a dozen times this year for anything but work.

Its October.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

bolind posted:

Aaaaaand we got two winners. Laid up for three weeks then a slow start again at work.

And apparently it’s happy hour: my brother got the exact same deal the exact same day.

To reiterate: if you don’t say stop your body will say stop for you, and it’s neither pleasant nor efficient. Take care of yourselves goons. :hug:

poo poo, mate, I'm really sorry :ohdear:

I hope our warnings helped you realise pretty quick what was happening?

The path to burnout is simple; it's the product of two factors:
1) stressful situations
2) a lack of support

People don't burn out if the support to deal with stress is built in to their working environment. For example; lifeguards, firefighters, pilots, all have stressful jobs but in their more mature professions there's an ingrained culture of support.

Something at your work is going to have to change as a result of this. Hopefully your burnout will be enough to get them to make actual changes?

Me? I'd known something was up for months but I didn't have the experience to know what it was. I had a midweek breakdown triggered by an innocent email. I took my line manager aside, wobbled a bit, said "I can't do this" and left for the day. I was signed off sick for three weeks by my doctor, then came back working a few days per week for about a month. Then I booked a spur-of-the-moment vacation somewhere warm for three weeks.

I returned to work, and now, a year later, neither factor has changed despite assurances and "concern".

meltie fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Oct 9, 2019

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Man, I'm glad buying the new car has been a headache. We have two house repairs beyond my skills that need to be sorted before it snows and I'm just going to dip into my down payment fund so we don't have to finance anything.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
My god did I just make the biggest mistake by forgetting to add a zero to the price of the car I'm selling, effectively putting out an ad for a $4000 car for $400. I got absolutely bombarded by mostly illiterate people, and people even took the time to find my name from the reg plate (we can do that in Sweden), looked at my address and then proceeded to stalk find my girlfriends name and number and bombard her with calls because they couldn't find my number.
People are crazy. I can't do much more than laugh to be honest.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I would have immediately dropped the add and waited a few weeks for it to calm down, but jesus that's crazy.

Being able to look up a name via tag is no bueno.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Suburban Dad posted:

I found a surprisingly decent dealer. They admit they sell nothing but beaters; nothing on the lot is over $5k. Picked up an Outback for $2k out the door (talked down from $2500 before any fees/taxes), and they gave me better than what junkyards were offering for the Saturn (... not by much, but the owner told me he would be sending it to auction, and that he expected to get $150-$300 for it... so he threw me $300). And a handshake deal on the loan. No interest, no lienholder on the title (wtf?!), just honesty (though I only owe them another $700, so even if I skip out on them, they've still made a profit). I just need to show up every month and hand them SOME amount of money until it's paid off.

Small town family dealers can be pretty good. This is a husband and wife operation that sells beaters intended to get you to/from work.

Same lot that had the Scion xB I was wanting to check out, but once I found out they don't really do any financing (unless it's below 1k), that was a no-go.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

STR posted:

Picked up an Outback.

Oh god. I hope your cheap Outback is better than the one I had. Nothing but trouble.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Liquid Communism posted:

I didn't notice until it started hurting my work, but now that I look back on it I haven't left the house more than a dozen times this year for anything but work.

Its October.

Its completely insidious too isnt it- You dont realise it at the time but it just creeps up on you.

Throw a physical injury in on top of it and its a whooooole barrel of laughs too- I've severely strained my left Rotor Cuff from my job, despite me reporting it to my manager MULTIPLE times that the workloads were way too much, despite everyone else who's done the part of the job that i've taken over all carrying some form of back or shoulder injury, despite them having FOUR risk assessments on the task that all say "The risk of pyhsical injury is very high due to the nature of the work and must be undertaken by two staff to reduce the risk" they kept telling me that there was no way to get someone else to help me until welp, shoulder let go.

Now I'm facing 6+ months of physical therapy, plus meds to try and get it back to being fully functional, and im stuck in working somewhere that obviously doesn't give a flying gently caress about employee welfare in a job thats NOTHING like what the advertisement made it out to be. Its perfect weather to do poo poo around the house and I cant do diddly gently caress that involves two arms, and if I do poo poo that involves just one, like starting to paint my workshop walls, it wrecks me harder than a pack hike. Its physically painful and mentally destructive- its triggered my depression hard, which manifests in me being narky and negative. Which I got talked to at work about too, so that was fun.

I'm on annual leave at the moment and I had to physically force myself to leave the house this morning to run errands, because otherwise I'd just hide at home all day. Im not even AT work, and havent been for two weeks, and its still messing with my head.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

slothrop posted:

Oh god. I hope your cheap Outback is better than the one I had. Nothing but trouble.

I'm sure it will be fine

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

angryrobots posted:

I'm sure it will be fine

You guys, I think he's out of the woods

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Boxer engines are known for their reliability and ease of repairs

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

angryrobots posted:

Well they’re easy to remove and throw away!

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

angryrobots posted:

I'm sure it will be fine

It probably will, couldn’t be worse than my experience and that was mostly due to trusting a lovely mechanic.

STR what gen Outback did you get?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

slothrop posted:

It's not pissing gas on the exhaust or leaving a pool of gas almost as wide as the car when I park, so it's already miles ahead of the Saturn.

angryrobots posted:

:laffo:

Ferremit posted:

Well they’re easy to remove and throw away!

This. Hopefully it doesn't turn into a kastein Subaru. Decent amount of room under the hood thanks to it being designed for the H6, but plugs looks... interesting. And I'm not even going to bother trying to replace the leaky valve cover gaskets.

slothrop posted:

STR what gen Outback did you get?

2nd. 2003 with 143k, timing belt sticker says the belt is good until ~180k. It's rough around the edges, needs the FR axle and an oxygen sensor, and the PO clearly was a fan of parking by braille, but it drives well and the interior is in good shape. Most importantly, everything (AC!) except for the power mirrors works. New battery and OEM alternator. Engine was stone cold when I got there, but I made sure to listen for knock knock jokes and piston slap when I started it.

Why the hell does it have a weather radio? That would have been great when I lived in Dallas, but the weather here is boring.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Oct 10, 2019

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Check the PCV and valve cover breather hoses if you've got any blow-by.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I planned to replace the PCV valve and all fluids. It has regular green coolant in it (I have no clue if these used long life coolant of some kind or not), and I know it's been about 50k since the timing belt/water pump were done (going by the sticker on the timing cover).

This thing has been all over the place too. It's been registered in NM, WA, BC, and TX. The BC part had me concerned, but the automatic rustproofing has clearly done its job very well.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I would have immediately dropped the add and waited a few weeks for it to calm down, but jesus that's crazy.

Being able to look up a name via tag is no bueno.

I'm too cheap to pull the ad and was laughing too hard at peoples idiocy for for first 20 minutes to care. I got the ad changed within the hour at least. But yeah it was pretty insane, and now I've seen first hand why people hate selling stuff on these sites. Got some sensible people though that might be potential buyers at least.

Humphreys
Jan 26, 2013

We conceived a way to use my mother as a porn mule

MrOnBicycle posted:

I'm too cheap to pull the ad and was laughing too hard at peoples idiocy for for first 20 minutes to care. I got the ad changed within the hour at least. But yeah it was pretty insane, and now I've seen first hand why people hate selling stuff on these sites. Got some sensible people though that might be potential buyers at least.

Here in Queensland you can publically access the year, make, model, engine and other options from a rego place. There has to be some sneaky way to reverse search this database for criminals to filter for cars they have and duplicate that plate for various crimes.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Ferremit posted:

Its completely insidious too isnt it- You dont realise it at the time but it just creeps up on you.

Throw a physical injury in on top of it and its a whooooole barrel of laughs too- I've severely strained my left Rotor Cuff from my job, despite me reporting it to my manager MULTIPLE times that the workloads were way too much, despite everyone else who's done the part of the job that i've taken over all carrying some form of back or shoulder injury, despite them having FOUR risk assessments on the task that all say "The risk of pyhsical injury is very high due to the nature of the work and must be undertaken by two staff to reduce the risk" they kept telling me that there was no way to get someone else to help me until welp, shoulder let go.

Now I'm facing 6+ months of physical therapy, plus meds to try and get it back to being fully functional, and im stuck in working somewhere that obviously doesn't give a flying gently caress about employee welfare in a job thats NOTHING like what the advertisement made it out to be. Its perfect weather to do poo poo around the house and I cant do diddly gently caress that involves two arms, and if I do poo poo that involves just one, like starting to paint my workshop walls, it wrecks me harder than a pack hike. Its physically painful and mentally destructive- its triggered my depression hard, which manifests in me being narky and negative. Which I got talked to at work about too, so that was fun.

I'm on annual leave at the moment and I had to physically force myself to leave the house this morning to run errands, because otherwise I'd just hide at home all day. Im not even AT work, and havent been for two weeks, and its still messing with my head.

Hope your shoulder heals up well! I'm trying to arrange to talk to a professional, because I'm about to go into 'LC doesn't see the sun for three months' winter and I'm not sure I'll be able to keep my job if I don't get my head on square before the seasonal sadbrains kick in.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Just bought a sump gasket.

Is shipping gaskets like this normal? They have always been flat packed when I have ordered them in the past. This is cooler but is it gonna get all wiggly when I try and use it?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

As long as the dowels are big enough that the gasket didn't rip, it should be fine. It may be a bit fiddly to put in place, but once all the bolts are through it should stay lined up. Just go easy when tightening everything down so it doesn't pinch and break it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Humphreys posted:

Here in Queensland you can publically access the year, make, model, engine and other options from a rego place. There has to be some sneaky way to reverse search this database for criminals to filter for cars they have and duplicate that plate for various crimes.

Weirdly I was wondering about this very thing yesterday.