Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Vox Nihili posted:

Grabbed a bottle of New Riff, which is supposed to be "the craft bourbon that's actually good." Single barrel, four years old, cask strength, straight Kentucky bourbon. I'm modestly excited.

Will update after cracking it this weekend.

So I tried this one last night. Very bold and flavorful, with lots of oak character despite its youth, but still pretty rough around the edges and hot even for its proof.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asciidic
Aug 19, 2005

lord of the valves

60 Hertz Jig posted:

The Lasanta isn't as complex as I remember. Tasty and easy drinking though. I've had so much peat and Irish swill lately that this is a nice change. Will probably pick up the A'bunadh next time from all the praise it gets here.

I tried Lasanta after seeing this post. I like the smell more than I like the taste, and I like the taste quite a bit. That bottle didn't last long. :)

My brother asked me for some recommendations for getting into whisk(e)y, which made me realize I pretty much only know bourbons. So we've both been spending way too much money, grabbing up a lot of different bottles, sniffing them pretentiously in our glencairns and pairing them with cigars. I'm leveled up enough now that I love Talisker 10 whereas a year ago I thought it tasted like a tire fire in a dentist office and wondered why anyone would intentionally drink such a thing.

Ardbeg Uigeadail might be my favorite thing right now, especially when paired with a medium cigar; it kind of cancels out some of the smoke taste and makes it easier to get all the flavors hiding under it. The reviews weren't exaggerating though. It is like drinking a camp fire.

Teeling Single Grain is my favorite Irish so far, but Bushmills 16 wins the award for weirdest. The nose reminds me of mosquito spray and a hospital cafeteria. The brothy taste and mouthfeel make me feel like I'm eating beef stew.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/10/02/us-to-impose-tariffs-on-eu-products-after-wto-victory.html

"25% duties on single-malt Irish and Scotch whiskies, various garments and blankets from the U.K."

Goes into effect on the 18th, time to stock up.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Trying to come up with a response to that that isn’t just, “gently caress” but, well, gently caress.

All over dicking around with airplane prices 15 years ago?

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

What in the actual gently caress. Is it really specific to single malts? Multiple news outlets specifically say so, but I'm wondering if someone along the grapevine just doesn't know the difference.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

zmcnulty posted:

What in the actual gently caress. Is it really specific to single malts? Multiple news outlets specifically say so, but I'm wondering if someone along the grapevine just doesn't know the difference.

I’d lol if it’s because grain whiskies from those countries are produced with a percentage of American crops / corn. It’s also a much, much larger market and maybe they haven’t been so emboldened to raise the stakes that far. It would invite those countries to impose more tariffs on bourbons and such.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Oct 3, 2019

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

zmcnulty posted:

The link above contains the document with the list, though the actual authority will be once it's published in the Federal Register. It says "Single-malt (or straight) Irish and Scotch Whiskies (described in 2208.30.30)."

That said, there is a ** that states that "Only a portion of HS8 digit is to be covered." The HS8 in this case refers to 2208.30.30, which to my reading is all Irish and Scotch whiskey. The "portion" refers to the tariff only applying to single-malt and straight whisky, so blends I suppose will be unaffected.

Edit: Also this is just whisk(e)y from the UK, so not all Irish whisk(e)y will be hit.

Enigma fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Oct 3, 2019

asciidic
Aug 19, 2005

lord of the valves

Looks like I stocked up just in time! :unsmith:

I managed to snag a couple bottles of Yamazaki 12 yesterday. A liquor store out in the sticks with a clerk that could have been Slingblade's grandma surprisingly had 6 of them for $99 ea when the only other place I've seen it recently was selling it for $150. They also had Talisker Storm for the lowest I've seen, but their Buffalo Trace and Eagle Rare were $50 and $70 respectively.

Roll Fizzlebeef
Sep 9, 2003

I guess I picked a good time to get into bourbon and rye. Hopefully this will blow over before the pendulum swings and I want scotch again.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

asciidic posted:

I managed to snag a couple bottles of Yamazaki 12 yesterday. A liquor store out in the sticks with a clerk that could have been Slingblade's grandma surprisingly had 6 of them for $99 ea when the only other place I've seen it recently was selling it for $150. They also had Talisker Storm for the lowest I've seen, but their Buffalo Trace and Eagle Rare were $50 and $70 respectively.

How is the Talisker Storm? I love peat, the more the better, but I'm lukewarm on any non-peated scotch I've tried.

asciidic
Aug 19, 2005

lord of the valves

Enigma posted:

How is the Talisker Storm? I love peat, the more the better, but I'm lukewarm on any non-peated scotch I've tried.

Not as intense of a peat flavor as the 10 year but it still tastes like Talisker, plus a saltiness that reminds me of the smell of sea foam and an oily mouthfeel that I found pleasant. I'll have to get another bottle of 10 to decide which one I like more.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

asciidic posted:

... how many hours drive from NYC would that be? jk god knows you bought them all

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

asciidic posted:

Buffalo Trace and Eagle Rare were $50 and $70 respectively.

Jesus Christ what a rip off

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Buffalo Trace Antique Collection review samples are out to the usual suspects and the first reviews are coming out. First reviews are not good, and it looks like this is a year to skip except for maybe WLW.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Japan is not the UK. With a 25% markup on the latter I suspect "Japanese whisky" will have a lot more customers.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

zmcnulty posted:

Japan is not the UK. With a 25% markup on the latter I suspect "Japanese whisky" will have a lot more customers.

Japanese whiskey already basically has that mark up by nature of being japanese whiskey though :confused:

Tambreet
Nov 28, 2006

Ninja Platypus
Muldoon

asciidic posted:

Not as intense of a peat flavor as the 10 year but it still tastes like Talisker, plus a saltiness that reminds me of the smell of sea foam and an oily mouthfeel that I found pleasant. I'll have to get another bottle of 10 to decide which one I like more.

I need to try the 10 again, I guess. I love the Storm, but Dark Storm is a bit much on the saltiness and brininess for me.

For peat lovers, I'm a huge fan of anything Ardbeg too. The 10-year and UIGEADAIL are both fantastic.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
I made an order from fine drams the other day and it showed up safe and sound this week. I...ordered too much, but the highlights that I’m really itching to try are:

Longmorn 19 cask strength Gordon & Macphail
Glenfarclas 1990(bottled 2018) cask strength sherry hogsheads
Deanston 9 year Bordeaux finish cask strength

I’ll report back with my findings. Also ran into a store with SIX bottles of EH Taylor Single Barrel yesterday, first time I’ve seen the single barrel in a store, ever.

asciidic
Aug 19, 2005

lord of the valves

DoctaFun posted:

jelly, been hoping to find this in a bar or have someone else buy a bottle and let me try it. I have a bottle of Black Art 1990, which I really enjoy, but not enough to want to spend that kind of money on a single bottle again.

DoctaFun posted:

Also ran into a store with SIX bottles of EH Taylor Single Barrel yesterday, first time I’ve seen the single barrel in a store, ever.

My brother got EH Taylor single barrel and small batch recently. I haven't tried the small batch but the single barrel is really nice. Maybe my favorite bourb so far.

Tonight I had Glenlivet 14, which is finished in cognac casks. My brother poured it without telling me what it was and I thought it was a bourbon at first. I didn't get much of a cognac taste out of it. Just sweet with no peat. It's like drinking apple juice after all the more intense scotches I've been drinking lately.

Also had some Weller Special Reserve after snagging the last bottle for 24 bucks. Great for the price, but it's similar to Eagle Rare which I think I like a little more.

e: on 2nd tasting, not liking Weller as much on its own. I think the cigar aftertaste was improving it.

asciidic fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Oct 5, 2019

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

I stopped in at Total Wine to grab a few bottles and there were a few people clearly stocking up/panic-buying pre-tariff. That said, it the store didn't seem to be out of stock of anything.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Hi all -

Forgive if this isn’t welcome here, but due to some really misfortunate family medical bills, I’m needing to part with a significant portion of personal my whiskey collection. You may have seen my posts in various industry threads, but in case you haven’t, I buy for a bunch of bars so I get some sweet allocations and have a nice home collection. If you’re skeptical, I can send you my LinkedIn or media reel but I don’t want to post that here.

Mods - if this isn’t allowed, I’m happy to remove.

If you’re interested in anything, PM me. Make me a reasonable offer that’s close to market value. I’d rather sell these babies to goons than randoms or have to make a reddit acct. All bottles are sealed from the distiller and have been kept in my home at appropriate temperatures. I can send you barcodes or SKUs If you like. I have photos of all. I will ship them out Monday with insurance. I prefer Venmo.

Van Winkle 15yr x2
EH Taylor 4 grain
Macallan Ed 2
Ohishi Sherry Cask
Cream of Kentucky 11.5yr x2
Lagavulin 8yr 200th Anniversary
Four Roses Limited 2016 small batch
Parker’s Heritage Barrel finished x2
Old Fitzgerald 11yr
WL Weller Barrel Proof
Elijah Craig 18yr
Four Roses Elliot’s Select 2016 Limited

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I live overseas so it's too much hassle shipping, but I wish you good luck and it's a drat shame that the US is the way it is when it comes to medical expenses! (And many other things)

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

:smith: good luck

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Hi all -

Forgive if this isn’t welcome here, but due to some really misfortunate family medical bills, I’m needing to part with a significant portion of personal my whiskey collection. You may have seen my posts in various industry threads, but in case you haven’t, I buy for a bunch of bars so I get some sweet allocations and have a nice home collection. If you’re skeptical, I can send you my LinkedIn or media reel but I don’t want to post that here.

If you’re interested in anything, PM me. Make me a reasonable offer that’s close to market value. I’d rather sell these babies to goons than randoms or have to make a reddit acct. All bottles are sealed from the distiller and have been kept in my home at appropriate temperatures. I can send you barcodes or SKUs If you like. I have photos of all. I will ship them out Monday with insurance. I prefer Venmo.

Van Winkle 15yr x2
EH Taylor 4 grain
Macallan Ed 2
Ohishi Sherry Cask
Old Fitzgerald 11yr
WL Weller Barrel Proof
Elijah Craig 18yr

God I want all of those, especially the 4 grain, but with this exchange student and all my dumb hobbies I'm tapped out of funds to blow on poo poo. Also my wife says if I'm going to buy a stupid and extravagant car for my 40th birthday i have to put 50% cash down like an adult.

If you start a gofundme post it here so i can donate.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Hi all -

Van Winkle 15yr x2
EH Taylor 4 grain
Macallan Ed 2
Ohishi Sherry Cask
Old Fitzgerald 11yr
WL Weller Barrel Proof
Elijah Craig 18yr

PM sent!

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Hi all -

Van Winkle 15yr x2
EH Taylor 4 grain
Macallan Ed 2
Ohishi Sherry Cask
Old Fitzgerald 11yr
WL Weller Barrel Proof
Elijah Craig 18yr

I haven't kept up on the secondary market since they shut down the Facebook group I occasionally browsed--do you happen to know what the going market rate is for your bottles? Particularly the Four Roses, Weller, and VW15 I guess. PMs are fine, but I don't think anyone will freak out if you post the general ranges here, either.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

DoctaFun posted:

I made an order from fine drams the other day and it showed up safe and sound this week. I...ordered too much, but the highlights that I’m really itching to try are:

Longmorn 19 cask strength Gordon & Macphail
Deanston 9 year Bordeaux finish cask strength

I’ll report back with my findings. Also ran into a store with SIX bottles of EH Taylor Single Barrel yesterday, first time I’ve seen the single barrel in a store, ever.

That Deanston is a beautiful, tannic winebomb.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Vox Nihili posted:

That Deanston is a beautiful, tannic winebomb.

I'm excited to open it up and try it! Almost did tonight, but I poured a small bit of Willet Family Estate small batch rye, which I think is my favorite rye that I've had.

What do you guys like for ryes?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

DoctaFun posted:

I'm excited to open it up and try it! Almost did tonight, but I poured a small bit of Willet Family Estate small batch rye, which I think is my favorite rye that I've had.

What do you guys like for ryes?

Rittenhouse or Sazerac are perfectly good and decent bargains (if the Sazerac isn't marked over $30). Knob Creek barrel picks can be good bargains and are near cask strength. Whistlepig barrel picks are also good-to-great but they'll cost you upwards of $90. Willett's ryes are also solid, as you note. Rendezvous Rye used to be a great option (it is/was mostly sourced MGP) but it keeps getting younger and more expensive. It's still good at $50 but you can probably find better deals on MGP product. My personal choice for MGP rye is Bonesnapper, which is a cask strength option, typically around 4 years old.

Don't bother with craft stuff unless you're certain that it's good.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Fred Minnick did a blind taste test of the 2019 BTAC vs a number of good easy to get bourbons and ryes. Rare Breed came out on top over everything. So now I have to worry that one of my daily drinkers will disappear off of shelves. His ranking was Rare Breed, Eagle Rare 17, William Larue Weller, George T Stagg, Evan William's Single Barrell, Old Forrester 1920, 4 Roses Small Batch Select, and Makers 46. BTAC Handy and Saz came out on top of the ryes.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

I was on vacation in Scotland last week and it made me realize I should probably find this thread. Spent a few days on Islay and an afternoon at Usquabae in Edinburgh. Wild trip all around.

Highlights were definitely: touring Laphroaig, Ardbeg 23, and Bruichladdich Black Art 6.1(which I really need to chase down a bottle of)

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

I was on vacation in Scotland last week and it made me realize I should probably find this thread. Spent a few days on Islay and an afternoon at Usquabae in Edinburgh. Wild trip all around.

Highlights were definitely: touring Laphroaig, Ardbeg 23, and Bruichladdich Black Art 6.1(which I really need to chase down a bottle of)

Edinburgh is my favorite place I've ever visited. How was Islay?

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Enigma posted:

Edinburgh is my favorite place I've ever visited. How was Islay?

It was really beautiful. I'd like to spend a lot more time there, probably in the offseason. Maybe one day...

asciidic
Aug 19, 2005

lord of the valves

Yuns posted:

Fred Minnick did a blind taste test of the 2019 BTAC vs a number of good easy to get bourbons and ryes. Rare Breed came out on top over everything. So now I have to worry that one of my daily drinkers will disappear off of shelves. His ranking was Rare Breed, Eagle Rare 17, William Larue Weller, George T Stagg, Evan William's Single Barrell, Old Forrester 1920, 4 Roses Small Batch Select, and Makers 46. BTAC Handy and Saz came out on top of the ryes.

I picked up a bottle of Rare Breed with LL/GK code today. It was about 42 bux and I can confirm it is good. Definitely punches above its dollar weight. Not sure if I'd put it over the EH Taylor single barrel I just killed off but if someone handed me a glass without telling me what it was other than a bottle is $100+, I wouldn't have cause to not believe them.

Also picked up a bottle of Penderyn Celt. Haven't tried it yet but the bottle smells like citrus, honey and peat. I'm looking forward to getting it into my face.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

Yuns posted:

Where can I check this out?

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Odd Mutant posted:

Where can I check this out?
His youtube stream died so he ended up using Instagram Live for it and I'm not sure that it's archived anywhere. He lists the winning order in his twitter and instagram but I don't see a way to replay the video.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

asciidic posted:

I picked up a bottle of Rare Breed with LL/GK code today. It was about 42 bux and I can confirm it is good. Definitely punches above its dollar weight. Not sure if I'd put it over the EH Taylor single barrel I just killed off but if someone handed me a glass without telling me what it was other than a bottle is $100+, I wouldn't have cause to not believe them.

Also picked up a bottle of Penderyn Celt. Haven't tried it yet but the bottle smells like citrus, honey and peat. I'm looking forward to getting it into my face.

LL/H* is decent as well, but very different. More dark caramel and toffee. I think LL/G is better, but H is still a decent value imo

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

I know LL/GK is what you guys are raving about but I've found a couple LL/GH. Same ballpark or nah?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Absolute garbage, might as well pour it down the drain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender
LL/JK is where it's at :c00lbert:

Realtalk: I had a pour of Springbank 21-year the other day at a whiskey bar and it was delicious. Made me and my companion wonder: are there any 18+ year old whiskeys/whiskys that aren't delicious? Kinda seems like anything aged that long is going to be pretty great. (I'm sure some stuff is not worth its average price, but I wonder if anything is roundly considered to be actually bad or even just not worth getting over the, say, 10/12/15 year expression.)