Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

Doltos posted:

Players who don't want to spend money shouldn't be catered to, especially in a CCG.

I mean I did spend money on MTGA but lmao this is such a weird thing to say.

Drewjitsu posted:

I think massacre girl is floating around in the sb of Golgari adventure as a 2x.

Also, don't pay attention to Kawabawa. He left in a huff eariler in the thread, and now he's upset about being behind on content, now that he's slipped a bunch of sets. It's not worth it.

I didn't leave in a huff at all, I got to high Mythic in my first 2 weeks in MTGA only using monou and regulars in the thread were condescending and salty as gently caress that I could play that one deck better than them. The same way you're condescending. It's good to be back, folks! :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Mono-colored mythic faceroll poster has a nice ring to it.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Kawabata posted:

On a side note I'm getting asked about bi/tricolor decks with such a level of enthusiasm that I'm deliberately withholding information on shock lands for fear of scaring them the gently caress away forever.

Incredible that the poster that thinks dual lands are Too Scary (emphasis theirs) is mad that Mono-X Shitters isn't viable any more, maybe they'll have some luck if Devotion comes back in Theros. Hopefully they don't throw a fit that they have to play Castles and whatever other rare lands get printed!

Kawabata posted:

I didn't leave in a huff at all, I got to high Mythic in my first 2 weeks in MTGA only using monou and regulars in the thread were condescending and salty as gently caress that I could play that one deck better than them. The same way you're condescending. It's good to be back, folks! :)

lmao at all this

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

*plays into sweeper every game and concedes on turn 5* gently caress U WIZZARDS

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Kawabata posted:

Take a break, Kawabata.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I played my 3rd ranked game after doing the tutorial and I got stomped by some guy running a tricolor deck and a bunch of crazy cards that broke wctoob economy. That was ah... Fun. Is matchmaking always that bad?

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

Lone Goat posted:

oh man the salt is still there almost 1 year later

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Funny, to me, to return from working out at the gem for a full year and to find you here, still posting about a childrens card game. Pitiful.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
If red had a really strong one-drop the meta would be totally different. Fields is obviously busted, but part of the problem is that Circuitous Route isn't too slow when it absolutely should be.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

Lone Goat posted:

Also this is a really a bad post, even for you, because how do you not play into sweeper with Cavalcade monored. Either they have it or they don't my friend, it's the aggro life.

Huxley posted:

If red had a really strong one-drop the meta would be totally different. Fields is obviously busted, but part of the problem is that Circuitous Route isn't too slow when it absolutely should be.

Not sure it's because the red 1 drops are necessarily lacking. Circuitous Route is a much bigger problem, I agree. Also the healing, 0/2 and 0/3s always blocking you early, and so on.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Kawabata posted:

Also this is a really a bad post, even for you, because how do you not play into sweeper with Cavalcade monored. Either they have it or they don't my friend, it's the aggro life.

Not sure it's because the red 1 drops are necessarily lacking. Circuitous Route is a much bigger problem, I agree. Also the healing, 0/2 and 0/3s always blocking you early, and so on.

No, it’s entirely that there are hardly any good 1 drop creatures. This deck existed before rotation and got annihilated by aggro.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
There has to be an aggro deck strong enough to punish a gameplan that looks like tapland, Growth Spiral, Circuitous Route, Golos. You have to have cards that make "Teferi, bounce a guy" a coinflip of a speedbump and not the last meaningful action of the game.

You can't even goldfish a T5 kill right now. I'm an aggro guy, and I get why people don't love playing against it. But being forced into a healthy respect for the beatdown deck is, in my experience, the most important ingredient to a good meta.

Huxley fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Oct 10, 2019

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

Time posted:

No, it’s entirely that there are hardly any good 1 drop creatures. This deck existed before rotation and got annihilated by aggro.

I wasn't playing before rotation but Fervent Champion, Scorch Spitter, Dodger and Footlight Fiend are acceptable. Certainly not as good as Ghitu or Firebrand but it's not why I usually lose or see people lose. I find stuff like Arboreal Grazer or Goose absolutely devastating for aggro, for example. They look like bland, unimaginative cards that aren't fun to play or to play against, only there to mess with an archetype. Let's not even mention Oko.

The metas where aggro is weak are also usually the worst in CCGs, way more obnoxious and time consuming than the ones where aggro is on par or better.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011

MRLOLAST posted:

Hi MtG goons. I am a recent HS transplant and want to get in to MtG. I haven't played Magic since University and even then I just dabled in it a bit with a mono black Rotlung Reanimate deck.
So I installed the client + played the tutorial through. Where do I go from here? Open my wallet and get busy?

Hey there friend. Try Legendvd videos! Right now he has one upgrading the basic mono white and green, you can do those while you complete your quests and gather gold/gems

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Kawabata posted:

I wasn't playing before rotation but Fervent Champion, Scorch Spitter, Dodger and Footlight Fiend are acceptable. Certainly not as good as Ghitu or Firebrand but it's not why I usually lose or see people lose. I find stuff like Arboreal Grazer or Goose absolutely devastating for aggro, for example. They look like bland, unimaginative cards that aren't fun to play or to play against, only there to mess with an archetype. Let's not even mention Oko.

They aren’t acceptable and there aren’t enough good low cmc creatures to support these decks. Oko wouldn’t be as big of problem if you had a real curve of threats that could knock them down to single digits before they could afford to make a dude or sac for life.

This deck is just fine, it’s dominant because they did a bad job replacing low cmc guys rotating. It was tier 2 at best in the prior meta and oko would maybe have buffered that a little

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Huxley posted:

There has to be an aggro deck strong enough to punish a gameplan that looks like tapland, Growth Spiral, Circuitous Route, Golos. You have to have cards that make "Teferi, bounce a guy" a coinflip of a speedbump and not the last meaningful action of the game.

You can't even goldfish a T5 kill right now. I'm an aggro guy, and I get why people don't love playing against it. But being forced into a healthy respect for the beatdown deck is, in my experience, the most important ingredient to a good meta.

I beat a Golos Fields deck on T4 on the play because they didn't have Grazer or interaction and I had a near perfect draw with a deck designed to beat Golos Fields! Accomplishment! (It folds utterly to Simic decks)

T1 Forest > Pelt: Opp @20
T2 Mountain > Wildborn Preserver > Pelt grows to 2 > Swing for 2: Opp @18
T3 Forest > Pelt Collecter #2 > Pump WP to 4 > Swing for 6: Opp @12
T4 Gruul Spellbreaker Hasted > PC#1 grows to 3, PC#2 grows to 2 > Swing for 12: Opp @0

Opp did T1 scryland, T2 Growth Spiral, T3 Circuitous. I won that match in game 3 after another quick start on the play with Questing Beast and Collision // Colossus.

I wish this deck were good against anything but Golos Fields though. It folds to Simic decks, Golgari Midrange, and control decks with loaded sweepers.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Lone Goat posted:

The most boring and hostile metas are the ones where the game always ends on turn 4, if RDW is the best deck in the format that means it's loving garbage.

Lol, enjoy playing golos mirrors for the next few weeks. Its exactly what you deserve.

Sjonkel
Jan 31, 2012

Internet Explorer posted:

I played my 3rd ranked game after doing the tutorial and I got stomped by some guy running a tricolor deck and a bunch of crazy cards that broke wctoob economy. That was ah... Fun. Is matchmaking always that bad?

If you play an unmodified starter deck, the game is supposed to try to match you with similar decks. But if nobody else is queuing at the same time, then you can meet pretty much anything.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Kawabata posted:

oh man the salt is still there almost 1 year later

buddy you're the one drowning in your own tears because the deck you love sucks.

if you can only get to your mythic playing a single deck, perhaps you were never that good to begin with?

born on goblin chainwhirler and thought they hit a triple.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Kramering into the thread to remind everyone how good I am at magic by talking how I'm playing bad decks with no cards and can't win

please, never change

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
I think the original complaint that the meta sucks and aggro isn’t viable is a real and valid one

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I mean if you boil down the complaint to its simplest form and ignore both the complainer and the rest of what they said, sure

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Sjonkel posted:

If you play an unmodified starter deck, the game is supposed to try to match you with similar decks. But if nobody else is queuing at the same time, then you can meet pretty much anything.

He said he's playing ranked so that is not true.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

AnEdgelord posted:

Lol, enjoy playing golos mirrors for the next few weeks. Its exactly what you deserve.

The most satisfying game of constructed I've played this season was dance vs golos, where I won because they had 6 cards left in their deck and none of them were lands so they conceded. I was not milling them.

I'd rather play five 20 minute games than twenty 5 minute games.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Lone Goat posted:

He's delusional, get him out of here!

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Lone Goat posted:

I'm the total opposite, but it's pretty obvious 20+ years on that a healthy meta has room for both and part of the appeal of this game is that it usually supports playing it both ways with some degree of success. If MTG were just two decades of midrange slogs the game wouldn't have made it out of the cradle.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

MikeCrotch posted:

It feels like the lack of decent aggro is allowing these multicolour piles since having lands come into play tapped isnt punished

Also lol at the fact that while standard is ruined Eldraine might be the best limited set ever, except the bots are also completely jacked up for drafting it

I just wanted to say that I am somewhat of a connoisseur of red text avatars, and that yours is probably the best one I have ever seen. So *petty*. So *specific*. So *absurd*.

:discourse:

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
"My favorite game was smashing two busted rear end decks together for 55 draws" is one hell of a take

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

Bust Rodd posted:

Kramering into the thread to remind everyone how good I am at magic by talking how I'm playing bad decks with no cards and can't win

please, never change

Nah I expressed the opinion (shared by many in and out of this thread unless you're Doltos and you like 30 minute games) that the meta is very bad because aggro is bad, got very specific too, but I immediately got the "lmao it's kawabata the circlejerk regulars don't like him, don't listen to him" reply.

The thread is richer if you listen to everyone's opinion, regardless of personality and whether you like another poster or not. You can always use the "hurrrr kawabata" old excuse when I actually have a controversial opinion, which is not now.

Kawabata fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Oct 10, 2019

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
on the other hand you could try to be less constantly abrasive instead of telling people that they should listen to you in spite of your personality

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.
Jesus Christ, fix your broken client, Wizards. Constant disconnects and failed to reconnect bugs in BO3 draft. Sent in two tickets, no response except "these look like duplicate tickets so we'll close this one!" gently caress. Off. Returned to the subreddit to take a quick look and others are raging about this too. For once it's deserved.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I mean your post immediately delegitimizes itself when you start off with “what kinda bullshit is Massacre Girl” when that card hasn’t been on anyone’s mind since literally War dropped.

Aggro isn’t bad right now because removal is too good or whatever, it’s bad because you can just clog the floor with an infinite number of free 2/2s while casting other spells.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

flatluigi posted:

on the other hand you could try to be less constantly abrasive instead of telling people that they should listen to you in spite of your personality

Be honest now, this time I wasn't abrasive to anyone and I was attacked first for absolutely no reason, the posts are there for everyone to see.

Anyway, I almost finished Golgari Adventure and the variant Wyatt was playing yesterday. I'll try them and see how they do before I give up and impulse craft Golos. Still very perplexed about the state of monored and monou. Or lack thereof for the latter.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Oh yeah, he's my favorite gimmick poster in the thread. He was like, 1000000th in legend once in HS so 2 weeks is totally enough time to know everything in MTG except now his 1 super easy deck rotated.

Also has anyone tried that mono-white aggro deck from fandom legends? It seems reasonably strong, especially if you can block a board wipe just 1 time by making your guys indestructible.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Oceanbound posted:

Jesus Christ, fix your broken client, Wizards. Constant disconnects and failed to reconnect bugs in BO3 draft. Sent in two tickets, no response except "these look like duplicate tickets so we'll close this one!" gently caress. Off. Returned to the subreddit to take a quick look and others are raging about this too. For once it's deserved.

I had a few disconnects last week, but nothing as crazy as this:
https://twitter.com/CubeApril/status/1182313716274143232?s=19

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Sjonkel posted:

They were doing ranked, so that protection isn't part of it.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

A Moose posted:

Oh yeah, he's my favorite gimmick poster in the thread. He was like, 1000000th in legend once in HS so 2 weeks is totally enough time to know everything in MTG except now his 1 super easy deck rotated.

Uhhhhh try 42 times legend, and 3 top 200 finishes back when HS was actually good. All while leading a healthy lifestyle and without professional HS anything aspirations. Also monou wasn't easy at all to pilot correctly, especially for a new player.

Bust Rodd posted:

I mean your post immediately delegitimizes itself when you start off with “what kinda bullshit is Massacre Girl” when that card hasn’t been on anyone’s mind since literally War dropped.

Aggro isn’t bad right now because removal is too good or whatever, it’s bad because you can just clog the floor with an infinite number of free 2/2s while casting other spells.

Not that Massacre Girl is ubiquitous or anything, but I'm finding it reasonably often and it's soul crushing for aggro, especially in a meta that's already so hostile to the archetype. I think some degree of frustration is acceptable there and it doesn't delegitimize my other posts at all.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Kawabata posted:

Uhhhhh try 42 times legend, and 3 top 200 finishes back when HS was actually good. All while leading a healthy lifestyle and without professional HS anything aspirations. Also monou wasn't super easy at all to pilot correctly, especially for a new player.

First ballot HoF post right here imo. Just a career best, you don't see a five tool post like this often these days

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

zoux posted:

First ballot HoF post right here imo. Just a career best, you don't see a five tool post like this often these days

Thanks, after Doltos saying 30 minutes games are the best and no CCG should ever cater to people not wanting to spend money I felt the thread needed a good post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Oceanbound posted:

Propaganda Hour posted:

I had a few disconnects last week, but nothing as crazy as this:
https://twitter.com/CubeApril/status/1182313716274143232?s=19

Much better devs than WotC's nascent in house team have wrestled with trying to make a Unity Engine game with good performance and failed.

It's going to keep getting worse as the game gets bigger.