Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Neither are really ready now. Probably wait another few months before deciding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Man, Ultimate Admiral: Dreadnought looks amazing. Definitely going to pick up the alpha when I have more cash, especially if it's not hitting early access until mid next year.

sum
Nov 15, 2010

I can understand why they did it but the massively magnified scale for the battles really bothers me for some reason. I hope there's an option for a realistic scale.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
So, in what I can only determine is insomnia due to illness, I scoured the net in order to figure out why my copy of Squad Leader would not let me change ANY options.

And it ended with me re-installing the game cleanly with a new ISO and now its fine and gently caress now I want to LP it.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Jobbo_Fett posted:

So, in what I can only determine is insomnia due to illness, I scoured the net in order to figure out why my copy of Squad Leader would not let me change ANY options.

And it ended with me re-installing the game cleanly with a new ISO and now its fine and gently caress now I want to LP it.

:justpost:

Dimitris
Apr 11, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
Command: Modern Operations – User interface and experience, Part II: http://www.warfaresims.com/?p=4975

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

So I'm seeing some chatter on the official forums that there's a way to enable an early version of the campaign in UA: Dreadnoughts in the current build?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

So I'm seeing some chatter on the official forums that there's a way to enable an early version of the campaign in UA: Dreadnoughts in the current build?

I saw a youtube video of someone who found some campaign info in the help menu, but not anything about someone figuring out a way to play the campaign.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I saw a youtube video of someone who found some campaign info in the help menu, but not anything about someone figuring out a way to play the campaign.

Same. They describe some stuff in the help files.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Galaga Galaxian posted:

https://forum.game-labs.net/topic/31675-combat-feedback/page/2/#comments

Last post on that thread by Jatzi.

Figured there might be some text file edit that unlocked it or something. Definitely would give me more reason to pick it up sooner rather than later.

Mr Luxury Yacht fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Oct 9, 2019

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
People playing Dreadnoughts, would you say it's worth it right now? Are there enough scenarios to keep it interesting for more than a few hours?

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Popete posted:

People playing Dreadnoughts, would you say it's worth it right now? Are there enough scenarios to keep it interesting for more than a few hours?

It's extremely promising and you can have fun with it for a few hours, but probably not $50 interesting for a few hours. I'd say wait until campaign is released at least.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Popete posted:

pedro0930 posted:

It's extremely promising and you can have fun with it for a few hours, but probably not $50 interesting for a few hours. I'd say wait until campaign is released at least.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

The ship creator is triggering a special kind of brainworms for me when some of the scenarios want you to create a pre-dreadnought but you can give it oil-fired diesel electric engines and hydraulically powered, auto-loading, triple-barrel 14" turrets and deck mounted triple-tube torpedo launchers and other absurd poo poo.

I'm sure it'll be more sensible in a campaign but man its just messing with my sensibilities :psyduck:

TacticalNecromancy
May 25, 2015

Well, I couldn't let Dreadnought go by without taking a look. Sadly somewhat more restrictive than RtW but hey.

Initially, I decided to embrace the spirit of the age by making a ship that can fight on both broadsides at once.

This progressed to attempting to out-do the Agincourt.

Followed by a diversion into cross-deck firing to create the Saddest Yamato

Finally... this.

All in all, very promising but give it a while unless you're super into making boats.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Nice, VR Designs new Shadow Empire has been announced https://www.matrixgames.com/news/shadow-empire-is-announced

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

Falkenberg's Legion? lmao. So grog.

Release distant worlds 2 you cowards

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Oct 10, 2019

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
Radio Commander is now available to purchase/play on Steam - $15

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I got Battlestar Galactica but I'm not 'getting' it. It feels extremely simplistic and there's not much more to it than 'point guns at enemy ships, one at a time'.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

AARP LARPer posted:

Radio Commander is now available to purchase/play on Steam - $15

Seems pretty fun so far. I got a helicopter full of wounded soldiers shot down!

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Is there an option to just napalm the entire map and win?

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Popete posted:

Is there an option to just napalm the entire map and win?

They tried that irl and it didn't work

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
You've got napalm, you've got attack helicopters, you've got artillery, you've got APCs and recon and special forces, you've got all kinds of ways to accidentally murder alpha platoon because you nudged the counter with an enemy infantry counter and didn't notice you'd knocked it out of place.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I'm glad it's finally out; downloading now.

I hope one day we get Telegraph Commander which is the same sort of thing except on a ship in World War II

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
Horseback Commander where you're writing letters to your generals all day

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Unironically yes, I'm kind of fascinated by how hard it was in the past to send orders and get/track information and I'd be all over games hat are about wrestling with the constraints of a time period

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Foo Diddley posted:

I want Austro-Hungarian commander, where you have to write letters in 5 different languages and some of them are in cyrillic.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

BattleMaster posted:

Unironically yes, I'm kind of fascinated by how hard it was in the past to send orders and get/track information and I'd be all over games hat are about wrestling with the constraints of a time period

It would be pretty cool, yeah. The Scourge of War games do the writing letters thing to a certain extent, but I'm bad enough at the lower difficulty levels so I haven't really played like that much

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Ok who will with me witp? Up for basically anything, although grand campaign preferred.

Lotti Fuehrscheim
Jun 13, 2019

Foo Diddley posted:

In the 1990's I played the cardboard hex wargames of "The Gamers" Civil War, Brigade (CWB) Series, where you wrote orders for your divisions, in text, that would take time. Meanwhile your cardboard counter troops would have to operate within their current orders, honor system.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgamefamily/119/civil-war-brigade-cwb-series

That was a great system.

That company had a similar line of games in WWII, the Tactical Combat Series, but there, instead of writing orders in a letter, you would draw Operational Sheets on drawing maps with planning times.

It could be tantalizing, seeing the enemy in an unexpected move, and not be allowed to react upon it beyond your current plan.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeeCaHcl3g908iGJEMhmJfUGcVm5J_lZz0Bw67Be2GZe9yCxA/viewform

unity of command 2 beta

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Lotti Fuehrscheim posted:

In the 1990's I played the cardboard hex wargames of "The Gamers" Civil War, Brigade (CWB) Series, where you wrote orders for your divisions, in text, that would take time. Meanwhile your cardboard counter troops would have to operate within their current orders, honor system.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgamefamily/119/civil-war-brigade-cwb-series

That was a great system.

That company had a similar line of games in WWII, the Tactical Combat Series, but there, instead of writing orders in a letter, you would draw Operational Sheets on drawing maps with planning times.

It could be tantalizing, seeing the enemy in an unexpected move, and not be allowed to react upon it beyond your current plan.
Their (relatively) new ACW system also uses a similar order system, by the way. Line of Battles. I got the first game in the series ages ago but never got a chance to try it.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

Alchenar posted:

I got Battlestar Galactica but I'm not 'getting' it. It feels extremely simplistic and there's not much more to it than 'point guns at enemy ships, one at a time'.

Lack of depth is ultimately why i shelved it. Units are too similar and there's a lack of nonlinear advantage to be gained.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Tekopo posted:

Their (relatively) new ACW system also uses a similar order system, by the way. Line of Battles. I got the first game in the series ages ago but never got a chance to try it.

LoB is an updated version of the Regimental Sub System, which is a (obviously) sub system of the Civil War Brigade Series. It's all the same :) They're fantastic games, I just couldn't get past the order writing. I think an electronic version would be fun though.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Radio Commander is proving, uh, interesting.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Yooper posted:

Radio Commander is proving, uh, interesting.

:eyepop:

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

what

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
lol come again, coleman?

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
It's Gary Coleman I bet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I was watching some gameplay footage and there was some odd dialog in it, it kinda felt like it was written by a non native English speaker.