Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goldreallas XXX
Oct 22, 2009
I can't believe there's been no mention of Doom House ITT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antiquated Pants
Feb 23, 2011

Oh god I'm so lonely in here...
:negative:

I don't want to be a Carpenter Fanboy, but I watched Christine for the first time last year and really enjoyed it. It's not a scary movie, but it was really fun to watch a sentient car go on a murder spree. I really enjoyed some of the car crumpling/regenerating effects too.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Goldreallas XXX posted:

A doom house?!?

Belbos Computer
Nov 20, 2005

Fiat Lux, Big Bang, seven days, seven minutes, seven seconds, and a universe is born before your eyes.
Slippery Tilde

Goldreallas XXX posted:

I always get a kick out of the IMDB reviews

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
As long as we're talking about Doom House and Mood House, I like to go back and read this analysis every few years: https://bigother.com/2011/05/18/from-doom-house-to-mood-house-how-simple-aesthetic-strategies-can-create-experimental-films-part-1/

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Not necessarily a Halloween movie, but I found a movie on Prime one night a couple of years ago and was pleasantly surprised with all the bad horror movies I've seen. Intruder (1989) is a good, claustrophobic slasher that takes place almost solely in a grocery store.

The Prowler is another one I stumbled across and while it's not a great story, Tom Savini's special effects are top notch.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Growing up as a kid I watched a movie as a kid that scared the poo poo out of me that I don't see mentioned much, Prophecy from 1979. The premise is "A log company's waste mutates the environment, creating a giant killer bear-monster." I haven't seen the movie in decades at this point but as a kid that bear scared the poo poo out of. Especially watching the movie living in mountains of North Georgia in a rickety house.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKvruwE6P1k

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Did Chopping Mall get brought up?

If you're a fan of 80s vibe it's dripping with it, and as a bonus also fuckin owns.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
We watched Chopping Mall on the Scream Stream one night and it was a hit. So ridiculous.

I watched Near Dark last night but I was quite drunk so I don't remember most of it. I'll have to watch it again. It was not quite what I expected.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Ravenous also has the best soundtrack.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

We watched Us last night, the second time after having seen it in theaters when it first came out.

I still really like this movie, but after having seen it a second time, there were a few things I didn't like. And I fully admit this might just be because I'm overthinking things or just being stupid and missing things.

The overall story hook is amazing and creepy and weird. The concept of the doppelgangers is interesting and every single actor does an amazing job of portraying their "normal" character and the doppelganger. The music is great and there are some really great memorable scenes.

But:

I don't fully understand Red's plan. So they're going to come up and kill everybody? Then just stand there? Are they taking over the US after that? I'm fine if there's no real plan beyond that, but it felt weird to portray her as a mastermind that organized the Tethered, but her big plan was just "kill everybody and then we'll figure it out"

Other than that it's the best movie about spooky underground events since CHUD.

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014

A Fancy Hat posted:

We watched Us last night, the second time after having seen it in theaters when it first came out.

I still really like this movie, but after having seen it a second time, there were a few things I didn't like. And I fully admit this might just be because I'm overthinking things or just being stupid and missing things.

The overall story hook is amazing and creepy and weird. The concept of the doppelgangers is interesting and every single actor does an amazing job of portraying their "normal" character and the doppelganger. The music is great and there are some really great memorable scenes.

But:

I don't fully understand Red's plan. So they're going to come up and kill everybody? Then just stand there? Are they taking over the US after that? I'm fine if there's no real plan beyond that, but it felt weird to portray her as a mastermind that organized the Tethered, but her big plan was just "kill everybody and then we'll figure it out"

Other than that it's the best movie about spooky underground events since CHUD.

she was a child when she got locked underground and probably just thought hands across america was the be all end all solution

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Mordor She Wrote posted:

she was a child when she got locked underground and probably just thought hands across america was the be all end all solution

I'm cool with that.

Especially since it continues the theme of "the oppressed can actually do things if you let them". In reality we kinda/sorta pulled off hands across America. The tethered actually did it. So it's a childish plan but at the same time, they loving showed us who's boss.

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!
I watched The Autopsy of Jane Doe the other night. I didn't care for it but I still think it's a worthwhile watch. My problem is that the movie establishes a reason for the characters to be isolated and also trapped but then has an outside character show up. The ending also did a thing that I personally didn't like*.

Movie fits in the "is this person crazy or is something spooky going on" genre from this post

Facebook Aunt posted:

I like the "is this person crazy or is something spooky going on" genre of horror movies. The isolation comes from not being able to ask for help, not from everyone else in the world being incompetent.

Ending Spoilers
*Everybody Dies

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Drunken Baker posted:

Ravenous also has the best soundtrack.

Yeah, 'the cave' does such a great job of contributing to the tension of the sequence and I'm a huge fan of the banjos and other rustic instruments used in most of the soundtrack.

Here's the creepy track without the scene it's from.
https://youtu.be/yy5xlq5lKKE

Telebite
Aug 23, 2018

"Fractured" just came out on Netflix today. Same director as Session 9 and The Machinist. In fact, one might think of Fractured as The Machinist 2.

Altair Knight
Jun 1, 2006

Don’t be a Halloweenie. Pete & Pete S02 Ep06

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6qbf70

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Is In the Tall Grass as bad as I assume it is?

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

I watched it and ya it was bad, but that's to be expected for anything based on a Stephen King story

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Oldstench posted:

don't worry, professor oak comes out and saves you

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Traxis posted:

I watched it and ya it was bad, but that's to be expected for anything based on a Stephen King story

Misery, Salem's Lot, Shawshank Redemption, Needful Things...all good to great.

e: gently caress I forgot Running Man?!

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Oldstench posted:

Misery, Salem's Lot, Shawshank Redemption, Needful Things...all good to great.

e: gently caress I forgot Running Man?!

Stand By Me, The Green Mile, The Shining

arguably The Mist, Pet Sematary, Carrie, Cujo, Christine, and Children of the Corn

I've never seen Firestarter but my mom liked it

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Most Stephen King stuff is at least slightly entertaining besides bottom tier awful garbage like Cell, Dolan's Cadillac (lol this movie is so drat bad so maybe it is worth watching), or The Mangler.

Stand by Me, Carrie (the original only, stay as far away as possible from the recent remake), Shawshank Redemption, and Christine are easily the standout Stephen King adaptations. Also really like The Dead Zone and the recent 11/22/63 TV series where James Franco absolutely kills it as the lead character.

Then there's excellent films like The Green Mile and The Shining that are awesome movies... but can't really be called Stephen King adaptations because they're such stark departures from the original novels.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The movie version of Salem's Lot was probably very scary when it first came out, but now it's just MST3K fodder.

Telebite
Aug 23, 2018

Oldstench posted:

Directed by Vincenzo Natali (Cube, Cypher, Splice, Haunter).

It's good. Not really great, but it holds your attention.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

ultrafilter posted:

The movie version of Salem's Lot was probably very scary when it first came out, but now it's just MST3K fodder.

Yeah, that movie is comically bad. Way too slow for its own good with a setup that takes forever and ultimately goes nowhere, horribly cheesy acting, hilariously dumb "action" scenes, and a wet fart of an ending.

The scene where the dude gets impaled by antlers is cool as hell though, but nothing else holds up compared to iconic horror movies from that era like Alien, Nightmare on Elm Street, Rosemary's Baby, etc.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
On the topic of Netflix movies based on King stuff, 1922 ain't bad. It's not great and more of a tension kind of thing that big jump scares, but that's to be expected of a flashback style movie.
It's a farmer writing his last will and testament about mistakes he made and mosfortunes he brought upon himself when he murdered his wife in 1922. Most of the movie is more about how he conceals the crime and what other sins he has to commit to keep things going.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Sorry, but Salem's Lot owns.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

From Netflix, "the boys in the trees" is a good Halloween movie, though it's not especially spooky. Two boys in their last year of high school reunite on Halloween, one a social outcast and the other one of the cool crowd, their childhood friendship separated by their peer groups. Less a horror film and more a meditation on growing up and growing apart, it has some good moments and is worth the watch.

To chime in on the Feast series, the first was solid for a low-budget garbofest, but the sequels are pretty naff. The second one features a pretty great scene subverting your expectations of self-sacrifice in the face of danger, and the ending of the third is hilarious because the writer clearly stopped giving a poo poo and just needed a way to finish the thing

DJ Fuckboy Supreme fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Oct 13, 2019

Telebite
Aug 23, 2018

bitterandtwisted posted:

It's best to go in knowing as little as possible so I'll just say it's on Shudder and you should all watch it because it deserved to make literally 1000x its budget

Speaking of Shudder, check out Incident in a Ghostland if you're a subscriber.

b mad at me
Jan 25, 2017

This was the only good story in V/H/S

Telebite
Aug 23, 2018

b mad at me posted:

It's interesting that the one guy she doesn't like is the guy who stops the date rape. She only likes bad guys maybe?

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

b mad at me posted:

It was legit creepy though,the panicked ending is intense.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I just saw Annabelle Comes Home. I liked it! It's pretty standard stuff really, but still I enjoyed the movie. It was better than the La Lorena one at least. And it was fun to see the Conjuring actors again in this Conjuring Universe movie.

It wasn't very scary sadly. Also, it had a lot of material for more potential spin-offs. I liked the Ferryman and the TV that showed you a couple of minutes of the future

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

b mad at me posted:

It's probably my favorite one, but I also really like the one with the guys going through a "haunted house" that turns out be a real haunted house. The couple on their honeymoon one is also incredibly creepy.

I also really enjoyed V/H/S 2 - specifically the alien one. I watched that by myself at like 1 in the morning and it really freaked me out, mostly the sound design.

V/H/S: Viral is so bad though. I hated it when it first came out and recently rewatched it on Shudder to see if I was being unfair to it. No, it still sucks and actually sucks worse than I remembered.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

I watched The Sixth Sense last night and it's overall good but lol at the twist being that Bruce Willis is dead.

He gets shot at the beginning, then the story advances a year and never mentions him getting shot again. He doesn't ever interact directly with anyone except his widowed wife who is supposed to look like she's mad at him for prioritizing his job over her. It's the most obvious thing ever that she is remembering him by going places they shared and watching wedding videos constantly.

Also M Night Shyamalan loving loves making cameos in his own movies.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

b mad at me posted:

Nah man that thing was pretty solid, had some interesting ideas for each film.

None of them hold a candle to Safe Haven from the sequel, that one was bananas :psyduck:

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I remember thinking 2 sucked rear end, I'll have to give it another chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Parrotine posted:

Nah man that thing was pretty solid, had some interesting ideas for each film.

None of them hold a candle to Safe Haven from the sequel, that one was bananas :psyduck:

Yes, Safe Haven is INSANE. Once it gets going (and it gets going very quickly) you have no idea what the gently caress is going on, just that it's very bad and very weird.

On the anthology kick - if you have Shudder you NEED to check out the new Creepshow TV show. It's amazing. Nothing will ever match the original movie, but holy poo poo is this a fun and spooky tribute to one of the best horror movies ever made. So far I'd rank the segments as such:

1) All Hallow's Eve (kids go trick or treating, but there's something sinister going on)
2) The House of the Head (a little girl finds out her dollhouse is haunted and tries to help the doll family deal with it)
3) The Finger (DJ Qualls finds a finger which quickly grows into a little pet/murder machine)
4) The Man in the Suitcase (a stoner kid gets the wrong suitcase from the airport - and there's a guy inside)
5) Bad Wolf Down (US soldiers in WW2 get trapped behind enemy lines and find a gruesome scene in a prison)
6) Gray Matter (a terrified son tells the story of his dad turning into.... something)

They've all been good, but All Hallow's Eve and House of the Head are absolute classics. Bad Wolf Down isn't great but gets major points for having 3 different kinds of werewolves (Howling, American Werewolf, and The Wolfman styled) all in one short. Jeffrey Combs probably could have been used more but he's still great. and Gray Matter is perfectly fine, but weak when compared to everything else the show's presented so far.