Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

quote:

"Chris wanted something never seen before and that's an Earth that is completely open to exploration."

Yes, one can only imagine a game set on "Earth." Never been done before! Truly the future is now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

I cant believe Bellular still shills for this game every now and then on his news channel. Its sad.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Quality rumours.

About time they got back to milking people for land claims.

Cameroon_TLPC
Jun 15, 2018

CEO, Lead Designer and Game Director

playlovepledge.com
Just announced: we have partnered with outside, independent space journalist to give you up to date information about Love Pledge and other space game!
https://twitter.com/CoastCourt/status/1182510992539844608

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

TheAgent posted:

• internal planet build of Earth has taken thousands of man hours but "worth it"

I hope they showcase this poo poo because it's going to be great to compare it to Flight Simulator.

Wow! A thousand years into the future the Earth looks like poo poo!

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

TheAgent posted:

hello
  • Chris Roberts is now worth over 30m USD, excluding any shares or valuations of CIG
  • this makes him the richest crowd funded CEO ever, and "the highest paid games CEO that hasn't released a product"

Didn't Chris take all that backer money, use the money to found a company that he owned, then turn around and have the company use it's funds to buy the Star Citizen intellectual property from *checks notes* one Christopher Roberts for a hefty sum?

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

TheAgent posted:

hello part 2 (from someone waaaaay different)
  • "Chris wanted something never seen before and that's an Earth that is completely open to exploration."
Hold on just a minute. Isn't Space Engineers made in a way that it will always spawn in an "Earth" when placing a planet, but scaled differently? They made just one planet model but with different landing spots and scaling it always feels like a different place. But even then, that's an "Earth" completely open to exploration.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

TheAgent posted:

• internal planet build of Earth has taken thousands of man hours but "worth it"
  • land claims first to debut in the Sol/Home/Domus system: "Stake your claim on Earth, the moon, Mars and beyond."
  • prices for land claims will increase "massively"
  • build fortified bunkers, farms, population towers, player usable banks/stores and planetary defenses
  • "It isn't ready, but it will be ready very quickly after we show it. This groundwork is half a decade in development."
  • player controlled orbiting rest stops, cafes (the gently caress), fueling stations and defense platforms all planned for sale
  • "Chris wanted something never seen before and that's an Earth that is completely open to exploration."
  • "As we strive for realism and fidelity, these parcels of land will eventually be worth much more than their cost."

Oh god I hope this is all true, and is shown off in a flashy demo at CitCon. The Citizenry would go ape poo poo and literally throw their money at the Crobbler’s feet. Spectacular new heights of whale milking is one of my few remaining wishes for this mess.

But I just find it hard to believe that they really have anything in the tank (no matter how unfinished/broken), other than the pathetic “progress” like a new hair pipeline that they’ve been showing in their videos all year. They have been hunkered down in survival/expectation management mode. To come out swinging like this with Chris’ old scope busting swagger would be a massive change in direction.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Oct 11, 2019

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Remember years ago when they were talking about how star citizen was gonna be SO big it'd take up 100 whole gigabytes and now we're at the point where games are coming out that are nearly double that

(Rdr2 is 150, new call of duty is 175)

Sankis fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Oct 11, 2019

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

Strangler 42 posted:

Didn't Chris take all that backer money, use the money to found a company that he owned, then turn around and have the company use it's funds to buy the Star Citizen intellectual property from *checks notes* one Christopher Roberts for a hefty sum?

Also I highly suspect he borrowed funds from CiG set up his own mocap studio then CIG just happens to use his studio exclusively... then he pays back the loan with all the revenue from the mocap studio ... Now we can show all money going towards development on the books but line our pockets at the same time.

If he was honest and it's just him selling his SQ42 shares by getting investors in CIG ... Based on the first transaction of where he netted 5 million for 10% of the company

For 30M has sold 60% of CIG...

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

TheAgent posted:

• land claims first to debut in the Sol/Home/Domus system: "Stake your claim on Earth, the moon, Mars and beyond."
  • build fortified bunkers, farms, population towers, player usable banks/stores and planetary defenses
  • "It isn't ready, but it will be ready very quickly after we show it. This groundwork is half a decade in development."
  • player controlled orbiting rest stops, cafes (the gently caress), fueling stations and defense platforms all planned for sale
  • "As we strive for realism and fidelity, these parcels of land will eventually be worth much more than their cost."

Has Chris remembered to stake a claim for his own mansion down on earth?

Are there going to be plenty of statues of Chris in this future earth?

Chris wanted something that's never been seen before and then asked for the only thing that's been seen before.. earth. Jokes aside has Chris not discovered Google Earth?

Be ready right after we show it... Weeks not months ?

If the rumours are true... The cherry ontop will be when the backers ask for where all this stuff is on the road map... After half a decade of unreported development.

Why will parcels of land be worth more than there cost? Do they honestly think they will have a single universe where land is scarce?.....

I mean given 50 players causes everything to implode and everything is wiped constantly just to get the sever to limp along and clip through itself, it seams ambitious.

DigitalPenny fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Oct 11, 2019

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Sankis posted:

Remember years ago when they were talking about how star citizen was gonna be SO big it'd take up 100 whole gigabytes and now we're at the point where games are coming out that are nearly double that

(Rdr2 is 150, new call of duty is 175)

Things have changed my man, with less that 1% of all systems complete SC will need plenty of petabytes.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Since there's no actual game in SC yet what the gently caress is even taking up all that storage space? Is everything just completely uncompressed and duplicated a thousand times?

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

it'll be like Deus Ex and savegames will be duplicates of the map files with the objects moved.

i'm serious about that btw, DX did that. the savegames are huge.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Hands down the best MMO thread running for 7 years.

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

Financial filings are up.

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/08882924/filing-history
https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/08815227/filing-history
https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/08703814/filing-history
https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/10934694/filing-history

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Uh is it typical for U.K. companies to report exactly zero net profit because admin expenses equals growth? That seems extremely weird.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
Long live the thread, and all its body parts!

Star Citizen: It isn't ready, but it will be ready very quickly after we show it

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Midnight Voyager posted:

Don't they have like a miniscule handful of planets that you can land on and they're much smaller than actual planets and in cases like the city planet, large portions of them are unable to be explored or even flown low over?

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

TheAgent posted:

Lol, Crobblers just found out about those Elite leaks (assuming those are also true) and just wants to beat it to planetary player bases.

Also, lol at the MS Flight Sim devs because obviously they do not know about earth development.

MedicineHut fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Oct 11, 2019

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

How the hell are you going to stake your claim on Earth? Earth in 2019 is pretty much all claimed.

*plants claiming stick in the ground in Alabama, immediately gets shot by future redneck in space pickup*

lalaland
Nov 8, 2012
Huh so Chris and his family are multi millionaires and probably became so in a "legal" way thanks to the dumbest people on earth handing him cash for loving dreams. That man is a winner.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

lalaland posted:

Huh so Chris and his family are multi millionaires and probably became so in a "legal" way thanks to the dumbest people on earth handing him cash for loving dreams. That man is a winner.

Never figured it would end any other way once I heard the words "Robert's Family Trust".

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

Uh is it typical for U.K. companies to report exactly zero net profit because admin expenses equals growth? That seems extremely weird.

The UK side of the CIG business only has one client: Its parent company in the US. They should be getting at the least exactly what they claim to spend in order to avoid any whale panic.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

What do you think accountants get paid for? Or money managers?

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

Hollywood accounting possibly.

They key is to never show a profit to the taxman.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Chris made 30 million dollars selling spaceship jpgs, the american dream is still alive! We can probably get that number to 40 or 50, keep pledging citizens.

The UK accounting thing is perfectly normal. For example Starbux have never had a single day of profit in the UK.

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time
Starting to work through the accounts and seeing the most basic mistakes all over the place that are sometimes awkward to decypher so I decided to go with something easy that shouldn't need explanation. Employee numbers and salaries. I learned something about addition development. See if you can spot the copy/paste seam in these accounts. I've put a big red circle around it to save time.

While I was tempted to say £5.9m for every year, the data is:
2018 - 338 employees, total £16.9m, 50k average including employer NIC
2017 - 318 employees, total £14m, 44k average including employer NIC
2016 - 221 employees, total £9.9m, 44.8k average including employer NIC

Asimov
Feb 15, 2016

Well, you just determine what your pension costs for the year should be and adjust everything from there.

Want to hire Lumberyard developer. Pension share = 0.791235. Simple.

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate

lalaland posted:

This is totally fine. When you back a crowdfunded game you run the risk of losing all your money. I backed because of CRs dream and I have gotten thousands of hours of entertainment. You're just mad I got to give free money to a company who did nothing for 8 years. His salary of 30 million over 8 years is comparable to <CEOfromactualcompany> Frothing at the mouth - Someone on reddit probably.

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time

This is the cash flow statement of the UK group. To explain the numbers, this is what it means nearly line by line:
1. At the end of 2017 they had cash and cash equivalents of some £4m in the UK group.
2. During 2018 through the normal course of trading, the UK group spent £3.7m more in cash than it received.
3. During 2018 they received £16.5m in cash from outside investment (The Calder money).
4. During 2018 they repaid the outstanding bank loans of £1.5m.
5. Using the above, at the end of 2018 they had £4m - £3.7m + £16.5m - £1.5m = £15.3m cash remaining.
6. £15.3m - £4m means that cash reserves increased by £11.3m during the year

So basically, at the end of 2018 they were already tucking into the outside investment by some £5.2m, or roughly a third was already gone. Obviously there is more to it but this info is a rough guide.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Inacio posted:

i mean, multi-planet ~galaxies~ or whatever down to planet scale down to fps scale eg being able to pick up poo poo in first person is pretty neat tech, it's just a shame that it's in a trash game "space sim" instead of a good game

Unless I'm mistaken, No Man's Sky already does this and actually works? I suspect their planetary bodies are even smaller than the ones in Star Citizen but they have actual stuff to do on a lot of them, at least.

TheAgent posted:

hello
  • Chris Roberts is now worth over 30m USD, excluding any shares or valuations of CIG
  • this makes him the richest crowd funded CEO ever, and "the highest paid games CEO that hasn't released a product"
  • Sandi Roberts has invested in or opened her own production studio (couldn't get a biz name so ???)
  • it supposedly aims to "produce and distribute films in touch with modern events, including feminist, LGTBQ and gender issues"
  • Erin Roberts now worth upwards of 10m USD
  • massive payouts to Roberts family and top execs occurred simultaneously with "several large investments" in 2017, 2018 and June 2019
  • Chris recently re-upped contract with close partners and family members (???)
  • "abysmal" working conditions continue, but with no end in sight for the crunch
  • "These are their lives. They are going to spend the majority of their twenties working 60 and 70 hour weeks, just so executives can hit their bonuses. I cannot be more disgusted with how our crunch is handled."
  • turnover continues at a rapid pace: "We need developers loving like rabbits and producing happy, subservient baby developers to keep up with everyone getting the gently caress out."
  • special parties, bonuses or vacations given to certain employees (no reasons given): "It has caused a huge rift; there is an enormous amounts of backstabbing and bus-throwing to get that prize."
  • and well, this: "Shut the gently caress up, Jared. We are unprepared? We are unprofessional? How you've managed to hold on to your job has to be some sort of devil's bargain. The pained groans that come from realising we are scheduled to appear with you are matched only by torture and child birth. PLEASE get the gently caress out and find a job you can handle without trying to gently caress over everyone more competent than you."

:eyepop:

TheAgent posted:

:allears:

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

shrach posted:

This is the cash flow statement of the UK group. To explain the numbers, this is what it means nearly line by line:
1. At the end of 2017 they had cash and cash equivalents of some £4m in the UK group.
2. During 2018 through the normal course of trading, the UK group spent £3.7m more in cash than it received.
3. During 2018 they received £16.5m in cash from outside investment (The Calder money).
4. During 2018 they repaid the outstanding bank loans of £1.5m.
5. Using the above, at the end of 2018 they had £4m - £3.7m + £16.5m - £1.5m = £15.3m cash remaining.
6. £15.3m - £4m means that cash reserves increased by £11.3m during the year

So basically, at the end of 2018 they were already tucking into the outside investment by some £5.2m, or roughly a third was already gone. Obviously there is more to it but this info is a rough guide.

Interesting - given this

quote:

2018 - 338 employees, total £16.9m, 50k average including employer NIC

is the absolute minimum they need to raise annually to keep the lights on (not accounting for new hires/departures and given this was last year's data)... if the run rate stays the same, how soon before they run out of cash?

On a side note, if there are errors in a Companies House filing, who bears ultimate responsibility - the auditors/accountants who prepared the books, or the director(s) who signed off on them when they're clearly wrong?

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

TheAgent posted:

also I can bundle that with my crippling pornography and sex addiction so it's a win win win win win

Are you ok, commando? :ohdear:

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug

TheAgent posted:

hello
  • Sandi Roberts has invested in or opened her own production studio (couldn't get a biz name so ???)
  • it supposedly aims to "produce and distribute films in touch with modern events, including feminist, LGTBQ and gender issues"
  • Erin Roberts now worth upwards of 10m USD
  • massive payouts to Roberts family and top execs occurred simultaneously with "several large investments" in 2017, 2018 and June 2019
  • Chris recently re-upped contract with close partners and family members (???)
  • "abysmal" working conditions continue, but with no end in sight for the crunch
  • "These are their lives. They are going to spend the majority of their twenties working 60 and 70 hour weeks, just so executives can hit their bonuses. I cannot be more disgusted with how our crunch is handled."
  • turnover continues at a rapid pace: "We need developers loving like rabbits and producing happy, subservient baby developers to keep up with everyone getting the gently caress out."
  • special parties, bonuses or vacations given to certain employees (no reasons given): "It has caused a huge rift; there is an enormous amounts of backstabbing and bus-throwing to get that prize."
  • and well, this: "Shut the gently caress up, Jared. We are unprepared? We are unprofessional? How you've managed to hold on to your job has to be some sort of devil's bargain. The pained groans that come from realising we are scheduled to appear with you are matched only by torture and child birth. PLEASE get the gently caress out and find a job you can handle without trying to gently caress over everyone more competent than you."

chris / sandi if you want to spend some of your wonga on internal security then shoot a PM my way

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time

Jonny Shiloh posted:

Interesting - given this

is the absolute minimum they need to raise annually to keep the lights on (not accounting for new hires/departures and given this was last year's data)... if the run rate stays the same, how soon before they run out of cash?

On a side note, if there are errors in a Companies House filing, who bears ultimate responsibility - the auditors/accountants who prepared the books, or the director(s) who signed off on them when they're clearly wrong?

The problem with knowing how long they have in cash is that we will never really know the position in the US. Taking the 2017 figures that were blogged at face value, they should be fine through 2020. Additionally, they have used the Calder money to pay off the loans in the UK so they probably are debt free in the US, so they could go back to that well again. I don't really want to estimate how much they had been "spending" on their video "content" and promotion/marketing in the US.

It's the directors that are responsible for the accounts. That's really the main role of a company director. eg: Have an easily identifiable human that is personally responsible for administration of a company.

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

shrach posted:

The problem with knowing how long they have in cash is that we will never really know the position in the US. Taking the 2017 figures that were blogged at face value, they should be fine through 2020. Additionally, they have used the Calder money to pay off the loans in the UK so they probably are debt free in the US, so they could go back to that well again. I don't really want to estimate how much they had been "spending" on their video "content" and promotion/marketing in the US.

Thanks friend, I had assumed that there would some form of "official" oversight in the US as well, but i take it from what you're saying that CIG US is free to self-report without any need for audit? Or is auditing done behind closed doors solely for the benefit of, say, shareholders or super special backers like the Calders?

shrach posted:

It's the directors that are responsible for the accounts. That's really the main role of a company director. eg: Have an easily identifiable human that is personally responsible for administration of a company.

So is there any sanction if the accounts are wrong when filed with Companies House?

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

SRQ posted:

it'll be like Deus Ex and savegames will be duplicates of the map files with the objects moved.

i'm serious about that btw, DX did that. the savegames are huge.

Are you talking about the original Deus Ex?

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time

Jonny Shiloh posted:

Thanks friend, I had assumed that there would some form of "official" oversight in the US as well, but i take it from what you're saying that CIG US is free to self-report without any need for audit? Or is auditing done behind closed doors solely for the benefit of, say, shareholders or super special backers like the Calders?
I think as a private company in the US the responsibilities basically only extend to what they need to produce to back up tax returns and as you say, for shareholders behind closed doors.

Jonny Shiloh posted:

So is there any sanction if the accounts are wrong when filed with Companies House?
It's one of those things that only ever becomes a problem much later down the line when there is a bankrupty and creditors.

It's much more common for there to be issues when not filing accounts. The directors can be held criminally liable for failure to file accounts and there are company fines for late filing. Companies House will reject accounts that do not have proper formatting but that usually doesn't extend much beyond them spotting the wrong name or company number on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marumaru
May 20, 2013

holy poo poo dudes i stand corrected this is truly the most accurate representation of Earth in a video game ever. truly incredible
bravo roberts

e: these are leaked please dont tell sandi i got them

marumaru fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Oct 11, 2019