Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Also part of what made Sting go,"gently caress this noise" and spend a year in the rafters was because after all the benefit of the doubt he gave to Luger and going to bat for him when others talked poo poo about him, the moment nWo Sting showed up Luger didn't show the slightest hesitation in believing Sting had betrayed him and the rest of WCW.

Sting/Luger was so loving great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
he'll be your hero

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Benne posted:

Doesn't really count as a squash but Goldberg/Lesnar at Mania 33 is one of the best 5-minute matches of all time

That was the last time I watched a wrestlemania with a group of people as it was happening and all of us indy loving workrate smart fans were losing our goddamned minds at how fun that match was

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
still hilarious how much better they booked Goldberg the second time around

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

I'm watching Dynamite atm and JR and Schiavone are talking about Jericho's "longevity" in the business, which made me curious about something, so I looked it up: Ric Flair debuted in 1972, and his last World Championship win was in 2000, 28 years later. Jericho's debut was in 1990, and he's currently a World Champion in 2019, 29 years later. They weren't kidding. Has anybody in American wrestling topped that? I'm sure there's some guys in Mexico who went 30+ between debut and final top title win but they also seem to stay active and prominent way longer than in the US, or that's the impression I've gotten anyway.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

terry funk is up there, starting in 1965 and winning the ecw title in 97. gonna assume that counts since during that time it would be more credible than anything in america today other than wwe and aew in terms of business notoriety

Cavauro fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Oct 11, 2019

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Aesop Poprock posted:

That was the last time I watched a wrestlemania with a group of people as it was happening and all of us indy loving workrate smart fans were losing our goddamned minds at how fun that match was

To add to the match, me and my friends did a Price is Right thing where we each tried to guess on how long the match would go. Very exciting when added to all that finisher spam.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Jerusalem posted:

Also part of what made Sting go,"gently caress this noise" and spend a year in the rafters was because after all the benefit of the doubt he gave to Luger and going to bat for him when others talked poo poo about him, the moment nWo Sting showed up Luger didn't show the slightest hesitation in believing Sting had betrayed him and the rest of WCW.

Sting/Luger was so loving great.

Sometimes I really miss WCW. I was always a WWF kid growing up and while I watched Nitro every week, too, it was never necessarily my favorite. Anytime the Sting/Luger/nWo stuff comes up I just want to go back and watch it all.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Shine posted:

I think Brock's 2014 squash of Cena got four stars. Cena had two brief hope spots, but otherwise got destroyed for like 15 minutes.

https://i.imgur.com/3xeWnGI.gifv

Goddamn that match was beautiful :allears:

We couldn't enjoy that match as much as we would've liked because we were at my friend's house for the PPV and his wife's special needs little brother was there and he was inconsolable as a huge John Cena fan.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Pope Corky the IX posted:

We couldn't enjoy that match as much as we would've liked because we were at my friend's house for the PPV and his wife's special needs little brother was there and he was inconsolable as a huge John Cena fan.
ah drat

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

fez_machine posted:

When people talk about MJF and Cody they frequently mention Lex Luger and Sting.

What were they like? (Plus Lex Luger is a beef boy and Sting is a crow ghost, how did they have friendship?)

So it was basically like you're seeing right now. Luger was a giant rear end in a top hat but he was still friends with Sting who was a surfer dude at this point. Sting was a giant goodguy and he was always down for going after the heels except for Luger. They may have fought once or twice but they always got back together

The other faces would always get in Sting's face and be like why the gently caress are you defending this dick and Sting was like because he's my bestie.

Then suddenly Sting started showing up with the nWo and all the faces including Luger were like What the gently caress bruh. But Sting insisted that it wasn't him. They were like but we saw you dude and he was like come on after all the times I gave you all the benefit of the doubt please trust me. They told him to stuff it.

Here comes War Games WCW vs nWo which has Sting on the team. As the match goes on Luger and Sting are about to lock up until Sting comes out from the back and loving destroys bad Sting. The bad Sting was Fake Sting the whole time! So Sting says gently caress you to all of WCW, goes goth, buys a vulture and starts living in the rafters with a baseball bat.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Title reigns aren't necessarily the best way to measure longevity, though it mostly cuts out all the mostly-retired guys. Jushin Liger is up there, but falls short of Flair and Jericho.

Gypsy Joe had a 40-year run between his first tag title and his last, but you're probably not interested in guys like that.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

TriffTshngo posted:

I'm watching Dynamite atm and JR and Schiavone are talking about Jericho's "longevity" in the business, which made me curious about something, so I looked it up: Ric Flair debuted in 1972, and his last World Championship win was in 2000, 28 years later. Jericho's debut was in 1990, and he's currently a World Champion in 2019, 29 years later. They weren't kidding. Has anybody in American wrestling topped that? I'm sure there's some guys in Mexico who went 30+ between debut and final top title win but they also seem to stay active and prominent way longer than in the US, or that's the impression I've gotten anyway.

Verne Gagne made his debut in 1949, and won the AWA World title one final time in 1980, a difference of 31 years.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
the other issue with Mexico is that titles aren't the important thing there: its the mask/hair stip matches that are the big thing. Like no one in Mexico really cares who the CMLL World Heavyweight Champion is; that's why the titles have very long reigns with massive defence gaps.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
jesus gently caress I cant wait for crow cody

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

shiksa posted:

jesus gently caress I cant wait for crow cody

We can probably rule out Stardust being his alternate

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Randaconda posted:

Things like this make me really miss NWA/WCW

:smith:
I have great news! They're both back!

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

LividLiquid posted:

I have great news! They're both back!

Something that is really loving me up since I realized it, is that since AEW Dynamite is Nitro (but the good bits you remember), I was a far deeper seated WCW fan than I originally thought I was during the past decade.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I feel so terrible for both him and that little kid who kept yelling "Let's gooooo CeeeeeeNaaaaaaah" the whole match.

Poor kids. They're the best wrestling fans, but sometimes you have to watch them get their hearts broken and it's so sad.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

LividLiquid posted:

I feel so terrible for both him and that little kid who kept yelling "Let's gooooo CeeeeeeNaaaaaaah" the whole match.

Poor kids. They're the best wrestling fans, but sometimes you have to watch them get their hearts broken and it's so sad.

One of the best parts of indy shows is kids interacting with heels

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

El Gallinero Gros posted:

One of the best parts of indy shows is kids interacting with heels

will chuck taylor ever get the chance to scream at children in aew, i hope so

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2zP6Vx6yik

https://www.wwe.com/videos/sasha-banks-brings-bayley-s-biggest-fan-to-tears-nxt-takeover-respect-october-7-2015

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Really pumped to see Crow-dy Rhodes rappelling down from the ceiling in a three-piece suit once MJF double-crosses him.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He's going to be the Phoenix Joker.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Aphrodite posted:

He's going to be the Phoenix Joker.

Does that mean he'll settle his issues with MJF at Hell Incel?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

TriffTshngo posted:

will chuck taylor ever get the chance to scream at children in aew, i hope so

One of the best things I've ever seen at wrestling show was little kids throwing a bag of popcorn at Chase Owens, and Chase Owens selling for it like it was simultaneously the worst indignity he'd ever suffered, and also, like it was a stiff forearm or something. One of the reasons I always stick up for him, because I think stuff like that demonstrates that Chase understands that you can get over big by showing rear end and making people want to hate you rather than being a cool heel, but at the same time you don't need to pull a Rockin' Rebel and get cheap heat through racism

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I sincerely doubt Cody wears face paint ever again

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Just put him back in the mask

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

His face is his mask.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Poor Banjo :smith:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I always loved the story about little kids following Larry Sweeney around at FIP shows just furiously yelling at him the whole time :allears:

Spikegal posted:

So Sting says gently caress you to all of WCW, goes goth, buys a vulture and starts living in the rafters with a baseball bat.

God, pro-wrestling is the best.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Watch that Sting promo where he has his back to the camera and abandons WCW.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

Coaaab posted:

Poor Banjo :smith:

:golfclap:

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Who is the WWE Lineal Champion? Is it Brock Lesnar?

TransatlanticFoe
Mar 1, 2003

Hell Gem

Defiance Industries posted:

Who is the WWE Lineal Champion? Is it Brock Lesnar?

I read a forum post somewhere saying Roman was the champ going into Wrestlemania. I forget the rules, but if it can only be defended in singles matches I think it’s Samoa Joe?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

TransatlanticFoe posted:

I read a forum post somewhere saying Roman was the champ going into Wrestlemania. I forget the rules, but if it can only be defended in singles matches I think it’s Samoa Joe?

If Roman was the champ going into Mania, then it passed to Rowan. Then he took it back the next week.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

More importantly, where's the lineal custody of Dominic?

Kaveman
Jul 25, 2009

NEVER!!!

Do we know when NXT UK contracts are up? There's a few people in there that AEW could use, mainly the women.

Professor Skittles
Jul 10, 2008
Does anyone have a powerbomb as a finisher in wwe currently?? If not why is it so rarely used ?? I always thought it was one of the cooler moves but rarely if ever see it anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Professor Skittles posted:

Does anyone have a powerbomb as a finisher in wwe currently?? If not why is it so rarely used ?? I always thought it was one of the cooler moves but rarely if ever see it anymore.

Walter does.