Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Blast Fantasto posted:

Get ready to load up Infinity War, a brutal slog of a movie a bunch of people convinced themselves was good because the marketing told them it was “the conclusion of a saga” when it obviously wasn’t but bought it anyway

It was the conclusion of an epic saga of post-credit teaser clips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Bogus Adventure posted:

Bring in Tommy Wiseau to direct The Great Lakes Avengers/Champions/Defenders/X-Men, or whatever Mr. Immortal and Flatman are calling the team today.

If you wouldn't totally watch the hell out of that, you have no soul.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

RBA Starblade posted:

Sorry you fell for it

this half-hearted burn attempt doesn’t even make sense in context of my post. I’m literally the one criticizing the movie

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I'm not going to say that IW is some marvelous self-contained thing, and yes it's payoff to a bunch of breadcrumbs, but where they go with the ending is legitimately fun if you're in the moment.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I forget what it was but there was a few years ago some short animated film of Wonder Woman in a 1970s retro style that was pretty cool. I would watch a feature length done in that style.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
infinity war resorts to hollow name-calling in order to try and criticise its fascist protagonist, because the antagonist tony stark is already 'thanos, but not an rear end in a top hat', and being-an-rear end in a top hat is the thing that's worthy of criticism in the mcu, not the fascism

see also how thor fails to kill thanos because he's a jerk who wants thanos to suffer, rather than because of anything thanos does

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe

Grendels Dad posted:

Somehow this doesn't bother me as much as the Black Panther/CIA thing. Maybe it's because of general desensitization, or because of Top Gun and Green Lantern et al. doing this thing overtly since forever. Or maybe it's because BP's cause of representation seemed to be a bit more genuine at the time so it hit a bit harder when I realized that Martin Freeman's role in the movie is loving awful.

Christ, the CIA thing again? If you focus less on the awesome black characters who do everything, and more on the white guy who happens to work for the CIA but is treated like a glorified human puppy, then that's on you, not the movie.

But yeah, Captain Marvel looks boring as poo poo.

quote:

Get ready to load up Infinity War, a brutal slog of a movie a bunch of people convinced themselves was good because the marketing told them it was “the conclusion of a saga” when it obviously wasn’t but bought it anyway

Up until reading this post I thought, as a well read adult with a post graduate degree and my own home, that I enjoyed Infinity War and Endgame as entertaining well made popcorn movies. Thank you for making me realise that I was wrong and am really a deluded sheep.

CityMidnightJunky fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Oct 12, 2019

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

CityMidnightJunky posted:

Christ, the CIA thing again? If you focus less on the awesome black characters who do everything, and more on the white guy who happens to work for the CIA but is treated like a glorified human puppy, then that's on you, not the movie.

black panther is a movie where it's treated as a good thing that a CIA agent interferes with the succession of an outside nation. it doesn't really matter if the agent isn't initially respected, doubly so when he still gets his big heroic moment during the climax

End of Shoelace
Apr 5, 2016
Regarding the notion that the Infinity Stones themselves have a will to interpret wishes made to them in a way that is positive for the non-disturbance of the "natural order" in the world:
The stones pulled a trick on Thanos by interpreting his wish to destroy the stones as destroying the SPECIFIC stones that Thanos used, not all of them in the entire multiverse. They also could have easily erased people's memory of the stones so they have no agency to even try anything, destroyed half of his forces or even Thanos himself because he didn't specify WHO gets snapped etc.

In that vein, Stark's wish to return everybody to life that was killed by Thanos could have easily been interpreted to include Stark himself, as he is indirectly killed by the actions caused by Thanos. However, the objects that change reality at will, that arguably have a will of their own to interpret wishes in a slightly arbitrary way, specifically choose NOT to resurrect Stark.

Either the stones have a sense of the "sacrifice play" concept, or the loving fundamental forces of the universe themselves hate Tony Stark.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Brother Entropy posted:

black panther is a movie where it's treated as a good thing that a CIA agent interferes with the succession of an outside nation. it doesn't really matter if the agent isn't initially respected, doubly so when he still gets his big heroic moment during the climax

On a broader thematic level the movie's argument is that superpowers are obligated to guide lesser nations through foreign intervention, and if that's not pro-CIA propaganda I don't know what is.

End of Shoelace
Apr 5, 2016

Up until reading this post I thought, as a well read adult with a post graduate degree and my own home, that I enjoyed Infinity War and Endgame as entertaining well made popcorn movies. Thank you for making me realise that I was wrong and am really a deluded sheep.

Ah, the eternal "the media I enjoy is amazing, but also garbage that you dont need to think hard about" defense.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

End of Shoelace posted:

Regarding the notion that the Infinity Stones themselves have a will to interpret wishes made to them in a way that is positive for the non-disturbance of the "natural order" in the world:
The stones pulled a trick on Thanos by interpreting his wish to destroy the stones as destroying the SPECIFIC stones that Thanos used, not all of them in the entire multiverse. They also could have easily erased people's memory of the stones so they have no agency to even try anything, destroyed half of his forces or even Thanos himself because he didn't specify WHO gets snapped etc.

In that vein, Stark's wish to return everybody to life that was killed by Thanos could have easily been interpreted to include Stark himself, as he is indirectly killed by the actions caused by Thanos. However, the objects that change reality at will, that arguably have a will of their own to interpret wishes in a slightly arbitrary way, specifically choose NOT to resurrect Stark.

Either the stones have a sense of the "sacrifice play" concept, or the loving fundamental forces of the universe themselves hate Tony Stark.
By that point Banner had already wished to reverse the snap (although that didn't include anyone who was killed by Thanos in other ways, let alone indirect deaths). Stark wished to destroy Thanos and his subordinates.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

What do the awesome black characters do again?

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

It must rule to have zero familiarity on how the catastrophically the CIA has hosed up developing countries throughout its history, and why presenting them as the comic relief in a plot to overthrow the government of an African kingdom makes for a bad look in a film.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

KVeezy3 posted:

What do the awesome black characters do again?

Supers coolness with humor?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

SleepCousinDeath posted:

Hell Yes!

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

SleepCousinDeath posted:

teagone posted:

Hell Yes!

I'm ready for it

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Tart Kitty posted:

It must rule to have zero familiarity on how the catastrophically the CIA has hosed up developing countries throughout its history, and why presenting them as the comic relief in a plot to overthrow the government of an African kingdom makes for a bad look in a film.

Black Panther is a film based on the Congo Crisis which firmly supports the killing of Patrice Lumumba.

Majkol
Oct 17, 2016

Did you pay for your education? Cause if you did, you were fuckin robbed my man.

End of Shoelace
Apr 5, 2016

Irony Be My Shield posted:

By that point Banner had already wished to reverse the snap (although that didn't include anyone who was killed by Thanos in other ways, let alone indirect deaths). Stark wished to destroy Thanos and his subordinates.

oh right. im dumb

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

What if Tony used his wish on restoring Titan.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

What is Tony wished Thanos and his armies were good guys instead of killing them.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

teagone posted:

What is Tony wished Thanos and his armies were good guys instead of killing them.

that was the end of one of the power ranger series; zordon sacrifices himself and sends out this wave of energy across the galaxy that turns all the past antagonists like zedd and rita into good people

it owned

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Brother Entropy posted:

that was the end of one of the power ranger series; zordon sacrifices himself and sends out this wave of energy across the galaxy that turns all the past antagonists like zedd and rita into good people

it owned

And before people start coming in about the monsters that got wiped out- almost all of those weren't real, living beings.

Most of Zedd's monsters, for instance, were golem-creations he made out of magic.

As far as we could tell Ecliptor was a robot thing of some sort.

The ones we know for dead certain that were real living beings with souls were the guys that got purified and became good people

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Brother Entropy posted:

it owned

Well it also kills most of them. Burkion and his Elgar erasure

Someone should make a gif where the zordon wave does the end of Endgame or the Tony snap does the end of Power Rangers in space

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Elgar had no soul

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Lol at loving power rangers having a more satisfying sacrifice than the biggest franchise in movie (not cinematic) history

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Aw, lookit that funny little agent! Who did a good little wetwork? Yes, you did!

But seriously, you can't be this dense. Freeman's character is able to explain Killmonger's tactics to us and the heroes because that's how the CIA taught him to do it, and it's never brought up again how hosed up that is. He just remains the "glorified human puppy" who also saves the day by drone striking some planes out of the sky.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Brother Entropy posted:

it owned

Amazing. Zordon's ascent into legend owns. Stark truly is/was/forever will be the worst kind of hero.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

McCloud posted:

Lol at loving power rangers having a more satisfying sacrifice than the biggest franchise in movie (not cinematic) history
Weird things happen when the suits are like "oh yeah do whatever".

Sometimes you get Spiderverse!

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Brother Entropy posted:

In this specific fictional case, it clearly was a good thing. In the real world if the CIA had been able to interfere with Kim Jung Un's succession to power in North Korea in favor of someone who was less of an evil crazy person that would also have been a good thing. Of course, if they'd tried they probably would have hosed it up, just as they've hosed up a lot of places for a lot of people.

pospysyl posted:

On a broader thematic level the movie's argument is that superpowers are obligated to guide lesser nations through foreign intervention, and if that's not pro-CIA propaganda I don't know what is.

I wouldn't classify Wakanda as a "lesser nation." The main conflict in the movie was about preventing Killmonger from taking Wakanda on a path to "foreign intervention" through revolution and global conquest.

Tart Kitty posted:

Except that the CIA "agent" attempting to overthrow that kingdom's government was Killmomger. Scott was acting as T'challa's ally and even subordinate in attempting to restore and preserve the legitimate government of Wakanda. Scott even owned Killmonger as "one of ours" and someone trained to do bad things for "good" reasons.

I get how the optics aren't great but I really don't see Black Panther as being some kind of CIA propaganda piece even unintentionally.

Everyone fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Oct 12, 2019

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

FilthyImp posted:

Weird things happen when the suits are like "oh yeah do whatever".

Sometimes you get Spiderverse!

Every creative in the show was like "Well we're definitely getting cancelled after this season. Pretty good run for a kids show let's go out with a bang"

Then next season they're renewed and they're like "poo poo how was last year such a success? Was it the outer space!? How do you top outer space? Uhhh... Double outer space!? What have we got to work with? An animal spirit based show that takes place mostly in the forest? gently caress it, we'll do it live!"

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Necrotizer F posted:

Scott even owned Killmonger as "one of ours" and someone trained to do bad things for "good" reasons.

lol no he didn't. He just explained that that's how the CIA does it, everybody shrugged and the movie continued.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

McCloud posted:

To be fair Power Rangers put way more effort into it too

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Necrotizer F posted:

I get how the optics aren't great but I really don't see Black Panther as being some kind of CIA propaganda piece even unintentionally.

!yensiD liah llA !yensiD liah llA !yensiD liah llA

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Necrotizer F posted:

you've already proven that it is by bringing up kim jong un and comparing killmonger to him. the CIA needs to save us from the crazy evil people! who decides who the crazy evil people are? why, the CIA of course!

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Also Kim Jung Un is manifestly not crazy. The only countries the USA doesn't gently caress with are ones with nukes. Ask Qaddafi how disarming to get in our good graces works out.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Necrotizer F posted:

Scott even owned Killmonger as "one of ours" and someone trained to do bad things for "good" reasons.

Also, who the gently caress is "Scott"? Martin Freeman's character in BP isn't called Scott.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Every creative in the show was like "Well we're definitely getting cancelled after this season. Pretty good run for a kids show let's go out with a bang"
The run from PRiS to TimeForce is a comic cavalcade of turning poo poo into Gold.

PRiS: "last season, write whatever" + Oh btw the "in space" stuff from the sentai pr reel is confined to some weird Internet Based gameworld and there's no real 'In Space' poo poo narratively good luck.

PRLG: "Space sells! Make more space" = this season is some hippy bullshit Bout GaiaSpirit animals and nature and gently caress it let's go we're getting crazy cash next year for Movie 3!

PRTF: "So we're cancelling the movie" + 'Remember how the PRiS reel was about space and the show wasn't? Yeah, that again except with Time Travel' + BONUS 9-11 means less dark bad guy stuff guys!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Lmao. gently caress off.