Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

el oso posted:

"And may the road rise up to meet your wheels." One of the funniest scenes of the series and played to perfection by Forster, among his many other roles. As much as I appreciate Michael Ontkean as Truman, Forster was such a gentle, steady presence in The Return that I can't help but wonder what could have been.

I'm so grateful for The Return, and now with Catherine Coulson, Miguel Ferrer, and now Robert Forster all having passed on it will only mean more in subsequent viewing.

Peggy Lipton as well :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Oh god not the new girl :stonk:

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

I can't believe Cooper is loving dead

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

THE END

Nice murder mystery soap opera show. What was that weird red room about, guess we'll never know

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

El Jeffe posted:

I can't believe Cooper is loving dead
Seriously. Who's the protagonist of seasons 2 and 3??????

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009
Dougie. Did you even watch them?

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

This one really fits with the theory I saw that Audrey is the dreame/protagonistr, twin peaks is her escape from her real life of being molested by her father. The scene in One Eyed Jack's alluded to this too. Sorry if this has been talked about.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Best line: "James is sweet, but he's so dumb" and everyone looks awkwardly at each other. I love that she doesn't seem to mind that he's dumb, though. It's just annoying how sweet he is. Kind of mirrors Catherine and Pete. She gets so annoyed when Pete goes all sappy on her.

Leo's whole "look what you made me do" attitude is just so pathetic, it's kind of brilliant. You really get the impression that he is a small time crook compared to Hank. Just too emotional.

Audrey semi-accidentally selling herself into prostitution (with a hint of incest sprinkled in there) is maybe one of the scariest moments in all of Twin Peaks to me. Only Fire Walk With Me ever taps into that same kind of anxiety again.

We see Leland strangle Jacques in an outfit similar to the one Josie wears when shooting Cooper. It's the ballsiest triple red herrings I've ever seen. You know Leland is guilty of at least one crime, so you're less likely to think he's guilty of shooting Cooper or murdering Laura.

Andy shooting Jacques Renault casually sets up the best shootout in The Return (there are a few good ones), and I love it for that even more.

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009
I hope Vince McMahon is in Season 4.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrEuyxlTAZk

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

James has always been dumb

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

My Lovely Horse posted:

James has always been dumb
:yeah:

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

One mis-step I always felt the series took was in the quasi-switch of Catherine and Josie as villain/victim respectively. I could never really buy Josie as manipulating or working any angles, and Catherine's appeal to Pete to remember the spark of their initial attraction feels very much like she's just exploiting him for her own purposes. I can't really get a read on how we're supposed to feel about her getting screwed over by Ben, and even when she saves Shelly it feels like she is doing it under protest.

Pete going into the fire to try and find her though... :shobon:

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

One mis-step I always felt the series took was in the quasi-switch of Catherine and Josie as villain/victim respectively. I could never really buy Josie as manipulating or working any angles, and Catherine's appeal to Pete to remember the spark of their initial attraction feels very much like she's just exploiting him for her own purposes. I can't really get a read on how we're supposed to feel about her getting screwed over by Ben, and even when she saves Shelly it feels like she is doing it under protest.

Pete going into the fire to try and find her though... :shobon:

I think Catherine was always meant to come off as manipulative, even after her reappearance. Josie though, I don't really know what they were trying to do with her. It's like they tried to make the audience sympathize with her, right up to the wooden end. She wasn't likable, but she wasn't believable as an underworld criminal either. And then the reveal that she shot Cooper. It's like... okay? At that point in the series, that loose end wasn't exactly begging to be tied up. I had pretty much forgotten about it.

Honestly the lodge/mill backstabbing was some of the most soap opera-ey poo poo in the whole show and I could never get on board with it. Gotta love Pete in every one of his scenes though.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

wa27 posted:

Honestly the lodge/mill backstabbing was some of the most soap opera-ey poo poo in the whole show and I could never get on board with it. Gotta love Pete in every one of his scenes though.

Speaking of which, Leo getting shot while a similar scene is airing on the wonderfully awful daytime soap on television is so great :)

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

So we're starting season 2 tonight. Does anyone want to watch 2 episodes a week to get through it quicker? That way we'd get through it in 11 weeks instead of 22.

We don't have to, but there are definitely some episodes in season 2 that don't require much analysis.

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
I'd be on board with that.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Me too! If not from the start of S2, at least after the main Laura plot concludes (s2 E9?).

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Me too! If not from the start of S2, at least after the main Laura plot concludes (s2 E9?).

I second this. It's really just S2E8-E21 that need fast tracking.

But do we start an hour earlier or go an hour later? (Hopefully earlier)

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

I've fallen a bit behind, trying to keep up on the horror challenge, but I would agree that moving two episodes a night after the conclusion of the story arc would be a good thing.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah, if we can keep it to 1 a week till the Laura plot concludes, then a couple episodes a week to get through the rough stuff, that would be great.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Okay, we can do that! 1 a week until the Laura arc finishes, then 2 a week after that until the end of season 2 it is.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Make sure the finale gets its own week

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Also were we going to watch the International Pilot at any point or is that more of a "do it in your own time" type of thing?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Escobarbarian posted:

Make sure the finale gets its own week
Yeah, for sure.

Jerusalem posted:

Also were we going to watch the International Pilot at any point or is that more of a "do it in your own time" type of thing?
Uhh, maybe a do it in your own time thing. We're past the point in the story where all of the stuff from the international pilot comes together, right? Like we've already seen Bob and Mike and the Black Lodge. Are there more plot points in there that aren't covered by the rest of season 1/season 2?

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3IEMqv6LIg

Creamed corn alert :tinfoil:

El Jeffe fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Oct 20, 2019

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

How were season 1's ratings? Like was "Cooper is loving dead" close to being the end of the series? That would've been so unfulfilling.

e: This is a long rear end credits sequence hahaha

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Oct 20, 2019

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Does this include a gratuity? :roflolmao:

Easily a top 10 scene in the entire series.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

El Jeffe posted:

Does this include a gratuity? :roflolmao:

Easily a top 10 scene in the entire series.
The milk will get cool on you pretty soon! :haw:

e: Half dead Coop giving the thumbs up owns

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

"I will tell you 3 things."

Exactly like the beginning of S3 :tinfoil:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

- There's a man in a smiling bag.
- The owls are not what they seem.
- Without chemicals, he points.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I think Ben should go too :stare:

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

As long as you keep the fear out of your mind. Fear is the mind killer.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

"Just give me a couple hours to get dressed."

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHH mairzy doats and dozy doats and liddle lamzy divey

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005