Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

TraderStav posted:

A dusted up Narn is something that will be in my nightmares.

Neuron by neuron!

I was gonna ask how close you were to that episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Vavrek posted:

Neuron by neuron!

I was gonna ask how close you were to that episode.

That was incredible. Having him enter his mind of all people?! Christmas AND Easter baby.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
That's also the bit with "I have always been here. Only now is your mind quiet enough to hear me.", right? It's been a while for me and I haven't started S2 rewatch yet.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Vavrek posted:

That's also the bit with "I have always been here. Only now is your mind quiet enough to hear me.", right? It's been a while for me and I haven't started S2 rewatch yet.

Still absorbing that whole component of the episode. He said something similar to Sheridan on the season opener too.

Love how this is all unfolding.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

TraderStav posted:

Still absorbing that whole component of the episode. He said something similar to Sheridan on the season opener too.

Love how this is all unfolding.

So are we. You can see the squee from orbit.

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

Gonna give another goon recommendation and thumbs up for The Name of the Pod. Very good for driving and something to listen at work. No real cursing, incendiary political asides, or terrible guests. I like it!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

gileadexile posted:

Gonna give another goon recommendation and thumbs up for The Name of the Pod. Very good for driving and something to listen at work. No real cursing, incendiary political asides, or terrible guests. I like it!

Two great unexpected thoughtful derails recently:

- How would they restructure Seasons 1 and 2 if B5 were to air today as 'prestige' television (10 episodes)
- Who would they recast everyone as, both comically and earnestly

I also really enjoyed the S1 exercise of putting all of the characters on an alignment chart.

I think Kosh is moving from True Neutral to Neutral Good in Season 3

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Mira Furlan, Bruce Boxleitner, and Claudia Christian would be just fine reprising their roles.

Joe Keery as Marcus Cole obviously. Known for his hair, good with melee weapons.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
Can Joe Rogan act? He springs to mind as a decent Garibaldi, but it might just be his resemblance to Jerry Doyle

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
Has Boxleiter aged... at all? He was on Supergirl last season as the President and he looked just like when he was President of the Galaxy in B5.

Burning_Monk fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Oct 14, 2019

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Burning_Monk posted:

Has Boxleiter aged... at all? He was on Supergirl last season as the President and he looked just like when he was President of the Galaxy in B5.

drat... didn't know that would happen...

e: Please be kind and spoiler the 25-year old TV show.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
I apologize, forgot the thread "rule" for spoilers. Edited my post above.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

TraderStav posted:

- Who would they recast everyone as, both comically and earnestly

I'd like to hear who they say for Londo, because how would you ever.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I feel like Garibaldi's part would be played very differently today. So much about him seems like it's couched in the way that the 90s were full take-no-prisoners hardasses, maybe something to do with the 90s spike in crime, but also to do with a bunch of different dark works piggybacking off of eachother. Now they'd either tone down the police violence or step up the way that he's kind of a bad cop who only got the job because his good buddy hired him and he was too entrenched by the time the next guy came along.

I feel like the politics would be different, but I'm honestly not sure how. I guess maybe there'd be a lot more double bluffs? More confusion and chaos? And some writer would stick in the line "Make X Great Again", no power on this Earth could stop them.

TraderStav posted:

drat... didn't know that would happen...

I'm not sure it actually does, I think that's just referring to him remaining the naked snake big boss of Babylon 5.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

CainFortea posted:

Mira Furlan, Bruce Boxleitner, and Claudia Christian would be just fine reprising their roles.

Joe Keery as Marcus Cole obviously. Known for his hair, good with melee weapons.

Mira Furlan, sure, no problem.

Boxleitner and Christian are getting a bit old to be playing space captain and space commander. Ivanova didn't strike me as someone whose career was in a dead-end (or if it was, she had just taken the turnoff from the road), and that goes double for Sheridan.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

David Harbour could do a good Garibialdi.

Unrelated, I can't stop thinking of Fifth Element Bruce Willis for him.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Also a B5 remake would be really interesting just from the perspective that the Sinclair->Sheridan thing would probably not happen, so the story would already be substantially different.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Hugh Laurie as Londo, if not that as Reefa 2.0

head58
Apr 1, 2013

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

I'd like to hear who they say for Londo, because how would you ever.

Peter Capaldi or Wentworth Miller.

We also did a “miscast” recasting, going for comically bad choices. There we picked John Colicos or Danny DeVito.

Full listings are in the show notes here:
https://www.ilinxilinx.com/nameofthepod/2018/2/22/the-long-dark
https://www.ilinxilinx.com/nameofthepod/2018/2/16/a-distant-star

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I wonder what JMS thought of that more recent Duck Dodgers cartoon. I liked it a lot as a kid.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Also a B5 remake would be really interesting just from the perspective that the Sinclair->Sheridan thing would probably not happen, so the story would already be substantially different.

Alternatively, they'd try pulling a Game of Thrones and start disappearing characters at random to keep the audience guessing.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

This should help.

Belatedly, but drat do I want that was a giant wall poster.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

TraderStav posted:

Unrelated, I can't stop thinking of Fifth Element Bruce Willis for him.

Same. Back when both things were new I had trouble telling them apart.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

head58 posted:

Peter Capaldi or Wentworth Miller.

Ah, well... that's pretty anticlimactic and not very helpful to me, since I've only ever even heard of the one, and never seen either, that I know of.

I could've said the same for Jurasik, though, both before and after B5.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Data Graham posted:

Same. Back when both things were new I had trouble telling them apart.

During one of the episode commentaries, Doyle talks about how easy it was to get past the gate guards when visiting Boxleitner's community.

"Hey, I'm here to see Bruce Boxleitner—"
"Sure thing, Mr. Willis, come right in."

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

This I feel is Peter Capaldi's seminal work. He's also played a crazy creepy old man as Dr. Who and a total bastard political manager in The Thick of It. I don't know how well he'd look wearing a Centauri crest though, although I suppose if they did a remake, they'd probably rework the anatomy anyways.

What if Levar Burton plays Lennier and then Bill Mumy goes and plays Geordi in Picard.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

SlothfulCobra posted:

This I feel is Peter Capaldi's seminal work. He's also played a crazy creepy old man as Dr. Who and a total bastard political manager in The Thick of It. I don't know how well he'd look wearing a Centauri crest though, although I suppose if they did a remake, they'd probably rework the anatomy anyways.

I watched this and now I can see it. Change him to a Dracula accent, and put a crest and about 40 pounds on him, and he's Londo.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Peter Capaldi should be G'Kar, not Londo. He's got the range of wry amusement to bloody rage needed, and can carry a genocide-sized chip on his shoulder for the Centauri Republic. And can be an underhanded bastard when it suits his ends.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

SlothfulCobra posted:

I wonder what JMS thought of that more recent Duck Dodgers cartoon. I liked it a lot as a kid.

Nothing, probably. B5 was a WB show, and Garibaldi's love for WB cartoons was product placement.

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

Ah, well... that's pretty anticlimactic and not very helpful to me, since I've only ever even heard of the one, and never seen either, that I know of.

You've never seen Tron? Mend that poo poo, son.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I have, long ago. I didn't know he was in that. I don't remember much about it.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Jurasik's role in Tron was relatively minor compared to Boxleitner's. Important, but brief.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

Miller was Leonard Snart/Captain Cold on The Flash and Legends of Tomorrow, end he just chews on the scenery like he’s famished.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fiQI5yB6w1k

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Vavrek posted:

Jurasik's role in Tron was relatively minor compared to Boxleitner's. Important, but brief.

To be exact, he's the program Flynn fights in the ring game and refuses to kill.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

No.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Garibaldi - Timothy Olyphant
Ivonava - Cara Gee
Sheridan - Alexander Skarsgard
Bester - Walter Goggins

Comedy Options
Mr Mordin - Ryan Gosling ("What do you want?")
Zathras - Donald Glover

CainFortea fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Oct 15, 2019

head58
Apr 1, 2013

CainFortea posted:

Ivonava - Cara Gee

I request that they just reboot B5 with the cast of The Expanse. Shohreh Aghdashloo as Delenn.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Two minutes into "Point of No Return"

:stonk:

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

13 minutes in

:ohdear:

Trying
Sep 26, 2019