Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

p. much my reaction every time i see vir

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Yeesh this is a three parter?? Guess I'm staying up late.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

TraderStav posted:

Yeesh this is a three parter?? Guess I'm staying up late.

Yes. Yes you are. I've shown the three-parter to people who weren't likely to pick up the show, treating it like "just" an SF movie. It's been universally well-received.

Did The Coming of Shadows blow your boots off ? The show is about to make you eat them.

SlothfulCobra posted:

This I feel is Peter Capaldi's seminal work.

I had just opened a new window to go find that when I thought for a second, said "Nahhh" and relied on someone else to link it. Thank you.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Good grief, superb.

Middle of the season, too! That was something you'd normally see at the end and beginning with a blue ball cliffhanger for six months.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

TraderStav posted:

Good grief, superb.

Middle of the season, too! That was something you'd normally see at the end and beginning with a blue ball cliffhanger for six months.

Originally there was a month gap between Point of No Return and Severed Dreams - not quite as bad but enough to be annoying!

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Saw B2, and man, Babylon 5 bet HARD on being able to do a long-term plot...and it couldn't really cash that check that it wrote. Real cool though. And not just old Sinclair, but that Centauri noblewoman's prediction of B5 falling and Sinclair's flash forward to what I assume would've been the final battle. And JEEZ, did Delenn choose a terrible day to leave the station.

(spoilers for much later I guess?) [no traderstavs]
So basically Zathras was a Vorlon agent, wasn't he? It makes me wonder how different the Vorlon/Shadow conflict was in the original draft, since future Sinclair clearly has dedicated himself fully to helping the Vorlons banish the Shadows as opposed to seeing the two as parasitic and self-serving. Old man Sinclair's not banishing the Vorlons to beyond the galaxy, he's helping in the first fight where the Vorlons are setting up future weapons against the Shadows. As an old man, so presumably the series wouldn't go on long past that moment.

In not spoilers, do the Centauri have fake teeth or is it just a coincidence when Vir and Londo look like they have fangs?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

TraderStav posted:

Good grief, superb.

Point of No Return/Severed Dreams is a real highlight of the show. Basically from where you are until the end of season 4 is loving bananas all the time. There's like one or two minor stumbles in there.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

TraderStav posted:

Season 2, episode 20

Oh, I don't think I like Londo anymore.

Friendship with Londo has ended
Friendship with G'Kar has begun

A few days late on this one, but I gotta say that The Long Twilight Struggle is my personal favorite B5 episode, mostly because of the circumstances that I saw it in. You see, I was home from college in the summer of 1995, and at the time Babylon 5 was on a weird mid-season break. S2E18 had aired in May but S2E19+ weren't going to air until October.

PTEN, man, it was a mess. :sigh:

Anyway, I was home in the NW burbs of Chicago and my mother (who worked for a local newspaper and tended to run into odd bits of local knowledge) mentioned that there was a comic book convention going on in Rosemont, only 15 minutes away. I called around to see if any of my friends wanted to go with me, but everyone was busy or uninterested. So I went by myself, browsed the dealer's room for comics I couldn't afford as a dirt poor college student, then noticed that JMS was in to give a Babylon 5 presentation in the main hall. Well, I was a fan of B5 so I made my way over and JMS gave a little talk about the show....then revealed he had a full print of an episode that he was going to premiere for us!

That episode was this one, S2E20, The Long Twilight Struggle. And if you thought watching that particular episode on Amazon was cool and impactful, as I'm sure it was since it's really well done, imagine watching it in a hall full of hundreds of your fellow fans, knowing that you were getting to see it months earlier than anyone else in the world! It was probably the highlight of my B5 fandom, and that episode remains my favorite because of it.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Jedit posted:

Nothing, probably. B5 was a WB show, and Garibaldi's love for WB cartoons was product placement.

JMS says he had to fight to get permission to use Daffy. Again, B5 was produced by a different part of the corporation than the regular TV and movie parts, and they didn't like having the competition.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

jng2058 posted:

Well, I was a fan of B5 so I made my way over and JMS gave a little talk about the show....then revealed he had a full print of an episode that he was going to premiere for us!

Print... like a film? Or just a video tape?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

TraderStav posted:

Good grief, superb.

I want you to remember that you said this when you get to the end of Season 3.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

SlothfulCobra posted:

So basically Zathras was a Vorlon agent, wasn't he? It makes me wonder how different the Vorlon/Shadow conflict was in the original draft, since future Sinclair clearly has dedicated himself fully to helping the Vorlons banish the Shadows as opposed to seeing the two as parasitic and self-serving. Old man Sinclair's not banishing the Vorlons to beyond the galaxy, he's helping in the first fight where the Vorlons are setting up future weapons against the Shadows. As an old man, so presumably the series wouldn't go on long past that moment.

Basically entirely different with seemingly little relation to the end product we got.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Print... like a film? Or just a video tape?

I dunno for sure, but it was shown projected like a movie. :shrug:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Narsham posted:

JMS says he had to fight to get permission to use Daffy. Again, B5 was produced by a different part of the corporation than the regular TV and movie parts, and they didn't like having the competition.

Really? Wow. That must be the only time a showrunner ever demanded to have product placement and the company said no.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jedit posted:

Really? Wow. That must be the only time a showrunner ever demanded to have product placement and the company said no.

It can happen if they think it will taint or affect the brand, and whomever manages the Looney Tunes side of things might not have wanted their characters associated with an adult show with relatively-prominent violence and implied sex.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It can happen if they think it will taint or affect the brand, and whomever manages the Looney Tunes side of things might not have wanted their characters associated with an adult show with relatively-prominent violence and implied sex.

Good night, everybody!

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

implied sex.

Still mad it took me decades to realize the bit about the dark star it's an anus

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Good night, everybody!

Animaniacs generally got away with their content by deliberately cramming in an excessively-inappropriate joke with the expectation the censors would waggle a finger at it and be happy with a "change" to the joke they actually intended to use. Sometimes things somehow went through unchallenged.

Still though, :golfclap:.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I'm more referring to how the original Looney Tunes shorts were aimed at adults, accompanying, as they did, feature films (either before or after the newsreel), so they had a lot of sexual innuendo and violence. That stuff's all on brand.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Jedit posted:

It happens a whole lot, like for example how ET used a candy everybody forgets about instead of M&Ms, or how a lot of series are forced to use weird off-brands instead of any real stuff.

Although that's not technically product placement, since I don't think many people in the 90s were thinking in terms of selling old cartoons, and the concept that's building up steam today of depicting characters in fiction as fans of works of fiction in a weird synthesis with attempting to inspire people to be fans of your work in a similar way hadn't taken off yet. It falls more into IP law, and at that point in time WB had really fallen off using the Looney Tunes for anything, and Space Jam wouldn't reinvigorate the concept of the franchise until 3 years later. So it's no surprise that corporate factionalism would fight against some wackadoodle with a crazy sci-fi drama idea that's probably going to bomb anyways.

And if you wanna really wanna confuse things, the original Loony Tunes/Merry Melodies/Silly Symphonies series were created with the purpose of linking into the music collections that their respective companies had the rights to and boosting record sales.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

SlothfulCobra posted:

Appreciated this, each spoilered section is a landmine for me. So tempting to hover and hard to resist.

Grand Fromage posted:

Point of No Return/Severed Dreams is a real highlight of the show. Basically from where you are until the end of season 4 is loving bananas all the time. There's like one or two minor stumbles in there.

I'm not sure I'm ready. So far the groundwork is completely paying off in untraditional ways and it's so enjoyable.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

TraderStav posted:

Appreciated this, each spoilered section is a landmine for me. So tempting to hover and hard to resist.

There's no hiding place (from spoilers)

head58
Apr 1, 2013

MrL_JaKiri posted:

There's no hiding place (from spoilers)

How will this end?
~In spoilers.~

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

You’re all starting to sound a lot like Kosh.

~Good~

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Doctor Zero posted:

You’re all starting to sound a lot like Kosh.

~Good~

~one spoiler of perfect beauty~

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

~The spoilers have already fallen. It is too late for the shits to post~

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Do you know what a poster has to do in order to avoid picking up stray spoilers?

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Do you know what a poster has to do in order to avoid picking up stray spoilers?

Watch every episode?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Watch your back, in case someone puts spoilers there, and you turn round suddenly, accidentally seeing them.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Delenn stops using Cones of Dunshire for her later rituals, doesn't she? That's a shame.

(s1 finale)
Oh hey, Garibaldi's investigation totally ruined because one of his subordinates was A-OK with extrajudicial murder and didn't bother asking any further questions. Great work on training that security force, dumbass.

Kind of a shame that marriage didn't work out. Either of them.

Oh hey, S2 finally has Centauri crests that aren't totally frayed. Or maybe Londo has just finally started taking care of himself. And there's that Star Control 2 ship in the opening. And don't spoil the season in the opening, Sheridan, jeez.

Oof, the existance of Tibet and the Dalai Lama in the distant future.

SlothfulCobra fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Oct 17, 2019

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

A Late Delivery from Avalon

Fifteen minutes in, what the hell is this poo poo?

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

edit: i'm thinking of a different episode

head58
Apr 1, 2013

TraderStav posted:

A Late Delivery from Avalon

Fifteen minutes in, what the hell is this poo poo?

Possibly the worst episode of the entire series. Worse than TKO. Worse than Infection.

Plotac 75
Aug 8, 2007
Mysteries of the ancient lizardman sealed by ancient, mysterious lizard magicks lost in the mysterious realm of ancient lizardmen from ages far, far ago.
But it made a very satisfying "Thump" when it hit the ground!

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I'm mostly okay with it, aside from the fact that it's entirely a retread of the time David Warner came to B5 looking for the holy grail without really adding much.

Doesn't help that it's trying to suppose more supernatural mysticism except about something that's never really been treated as religious reality.

SlothfulCobra fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Oct 17, 2019

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

SlothfulCobra posted:

I'm mostly okay with it, aside from the fact that it's entirely a retread of the time David Warner came to B5 looking for the holy grail without really adding much.

I just took it as another look at that episode you are referencing where it turns out he does have a mental health problem

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

I just didn't get it from how it fits in. Sure, it's a nice story and bit of writing on its own, but in context it is... Bad

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

TraderStav posted:

I just didn't get it from how it fits in. Sure, it's a nice story and bit of writing on its own, but in context it is... Bad

Pretty sure it's our most detailed look at the start of the Earth/Minbari war (until In the Beginning at least), so there's that. Not much current arc significance.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Pretty sure it's our most detailed look at the start of the Earth/Minbari war (until In the Beginning at least), so there's that. Not much current arc significance.

Yes, that was good. The other 47 minutes though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

TraderStav posted:

JMS wanted Michael York to be Sheridan. Network said no. JMS wrote an episode for him.

That's pretty much it.

(Personally, I have a fondness for it, but I'm not going to argue that it's a good episode. Worse than TKO though?? :raise: )