Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Davros1 posted:

Hardyz are famous for this

There's a match where Jeff does the job for Waylon Mercy and Jeff barely looks old enough to drive. Mercy just loving annihilates him with a brainbuster at one point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Jeff also carried King Mabel on his throne in 95.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Ken Shamrock jobbing in 1988 blows my mind.

Also the Hardy's did mocap work for one or both of WrestleMania 2000 and No Mercy.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Also the Hardy's did mocap work for one or both of WrestleMania 2000 and No Mercy.

It was Attitude.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Ken Shamrock jobbing in 1988 blows my mind.

Makes sense why it all looked so good.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

The moves in the AKI games were hand-animated as far as I know. Warzone and Attitude used mocap, and all the moves looked godawful.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Doc M posted:

The moves in the AKI games were hand-animated as far as I know. Warzone and Attitude used mocap, and all the moves looked godawful.

yeah it didn't really matter how good the Hardys are, mid-90s mocapping technology did them absolutely no favors

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

scotty too hotty did a lot of jobbing in the early 90s

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Dlo Brown worked as a job guy for a bit. Scott D’Amore also got some work in the mid 90s.

Mike Bell was another really common jobber but I don’t think he was under contract

oh but seriously I posted:

i think around "The Goon" period they were experimenting with having a regular jobber crew with crazy gimmicks

Yeah The Goon, Who, Alex Porteau and TL Hopper were all brought in as jobbers with gimmicks. There may have been a few others too.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Has there been a worse top babyface in WWE than Seth fr*cking Rollins?

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Vince McMahon, speaking through the body and with the voice of Roman Reigns, was extremely bad. I think the current state of the product is maybe giving people rose tinted glasses about Roman on top but I bet there wouldn't be much difference in public opinion if you transplanted 2015-16 Roman with 2019 Seth and vice versa.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I was just reminded of one of my favorite lower-mid level guy who really leaned into it in WCW. "Above Average" Mike Sanders.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

I still want to think Diesel is worse due to just tanking the entire business for the fed during his run but the Wyatt feud is sure making a good case for Rollins

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Yeah The Goon, Who, Alex Porteau and TL Hopper were all brought in as jobbers with gimmicks. There may have been a few others too.

Freddie Joe Floyd and Salvatore Sincere, too.

They all started around the 1996 King of the Ring.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

rollins was also a very failed top heel, let's not forget this

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

TriffTshngo posted:

Vince McMahon, speaking through the body and with the voice of Roman Reigns, was extremely bad. I think the current state of the product is maybe giving people rose tinted glasses about Roman on top but I bet there wouldn't be much difference in public opinion if you transplanted 2015-16 Roman with 2019 Seth and vice versa.

Every top babyface is the worst top babyface in WWE TYOOV 2019

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Doc M posted:

The current series back when it was still Smackdown and then Smackdown vs. Raw was hand animated for quite a while too. The mocapped stuff looks slower, weaker, and most importantly meant the death of Create a Finisher.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Aphrodite posted:

The current series back when it was still Smackdown and then Smackdown vs. Raw was hand animated for quite a while too. The mocapped stuff looks slower, weaker, and most importantly meant the death of Create a Finisher.

Also if you hand-animate you don't need wrestlers to pull punches or work unsafe moves. The Steiner Screwdriver in No Mercy is you just straight dropping a dude on the crown of his head like a railroad spike and you can practically see his spine move two inches towards his rear end in a top hat. Now everyone's working safe, and if I wanted that I'd just watch wrestling

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I think Colt Cabana has been involved in a lot of the mocap for recent WWE 2k games, they were sponsoring his podcast during release month because of that the last few years.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

SatoshiMiwa posted:

I still want to think Diesel is worse due to just tanking the entire business for the fed during his run but the Wyatt feud is sure making a good case for Rollins

Rollins is tanking the entire business.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Lid posted:

Rollins is tanking the entire business.
It'd be Reigns if it weren't Rollins. It'd be Cena if it weren't Reigns, though eventually, Cena figured out ways to succeed in spite of how WWE booked him.

They don't know how to book a top guy and never have. Name the last one who got over because of them instead of in spite of them.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

The Young Bucks and Ohno were doing Mocap for a couple of the games in the last few years. I remember the SAFETY OF THE MOVES being totally ridiculous at times. I think it was either 12 or 13 that featured a Package Piledriver which was a package piledriver setup, but then delicately dropping the wrestler on their chest instead of their head.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4e_EeDx99U

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007
Without evil there could be no good, so it must be good to be evil sometime !

Diabolik900 posted:

It was Mattitude.

Fixed that for ya.

On the subject of jobbers, it amazed me that quite a few midcarders became jobbers back in the Hulkamania era. Guys like Jim Powers and the Killer Bees for example. The one that stands out the most is Paul Roma, who went from midcard to jobber, back to midcard with Power and Glory, and then to WCW where he did... stuff ?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

LividLiquid posted:

It'd be Reigns if it weren't Rollins. It'd be Cena if it weren't Reigns, though eventually, Cena figured out ways to succeed in spite of how WWE booked him.

They don't know how to book a top guy and never have. Name the last one who got over because of them instead of in spite of them.

BRAUN

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

extradite THIS! posted:

Does anyone have the excellent and incomprehensible "davebnmeltzer" post lying around somewhere? I can never find it when I want to read it :( I should probably save it.
I got you fam

Daniel Bryan posted:

Honestly whatvdvabenmeltzter said about Dean Amanda's do flux every telling. Also th where at r wee sees himself as a a superstars in the friend

pro tip for finding it again in future google “daniel bryan “dean amanda” site:forums.somethingawful.com”

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

jesus WEP posted:

I got you fam

pro tip for finding it again in future google “daniel bryan “dean amanda” site:forums.somethingawful.com”

Hell yes, thank you :worship: My problem is I can kind of remember the post but recall the particular typos that would make it easy to search for wrong. "dean amanda" is a good keyword to remember.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Also if you need the other all time classic just google ‘sramaker "request to being banned" fools’

An Actual Bear
Feb 15, 2012

jesus WEP posted:

Also if you need the other all time classic just google ‘sramaker "request to being banned" fools’

Is this the gamergate guy? :allears:

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

LividLiquid posted:

Agree 100% and I think if Cena hadn't found a way out he'd only be tanking things slightly less than the other two at this point but then again he might actually just be winning his matches instead of that HiaC bullshit.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

STONE COLD 64 posted:

The Young Bucks and Ohno were doing Mocap for a couple of the games in the last few years. I remember the SAFETY OF THE MOVES being totally ridiculous at times. I think it was either 12 or 13 that featured a Package Piledriver which was a package piledriver setup, but then delicately dropping the wrestler on their chest instead of their head.

Isn't that the Neutralizer?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

An Actual Bear posted:

Is this the gamergate guy? :allears:
It sure is op

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Schneider Heim posted:

What are the best heel promos of all time? (No slurs)

It's heel Jake the Snake and his cocaine sweats all the way down.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
There's this one Jake promo I can barely remember the context for, where he confesses that he doesn't know why he's always been driven to be bad just for its own sake, and keeps repeating "It's not my fault!" Wish I could find it.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Jake had that creepy promo about Elizabeth.

"In time, I can mold her into something even I can love." or something like that

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

I'm going to say Lex Luger. He was basically Vince's attempt to replace Hogan, but without any of the explosive charisma or the ability to win important matches.

His run as top guy goes as thus:

- Badass, albeit random, face turn where he shows up via helicopter at the USS Intrepid to bodyslam Yokozuna.

- Builds towards his SummerSlam title match via the Lex Express. Those segments were death to watch.

- Even though it's stated that SummerSlam is his one and only shot against Yokozuna for the title, Luger wins via count-out and celebrates as if he won the title.

- Pivots into a feud with Ludvig Borga (aka Dumpy Lesnar) and does win the feud via being the sole survivor in the Survivor Series main event.

- Gets to be in the Royal Rumble as his "okay, but after THIS, no more opportunities at Yokozuna's title" window into the championship. He co-wins with Bret Hart and the post-match reaction from the crowd makes it apparent that Bret is way more popular.

- In the WrestleMania X mini-tournament, Luger gets first shot at Yokozuna. Right before the match, it's announced that Mr. Perfect (who hadn't been heard from in months) is the special referee. Perfect proceeds to screw Luger over and the two get in a pull-apart brawl backstage. Perfect immediately vanishes off TV, meaning Luger has no way of getting his heat back.

- Luger spends the next half a year feuding with the Million Dollar Corporation, which could presumably help him bounce back into the main event. Instead, he loses the feud at Survivor Series. He spends the remainder of the WWF run in a tag team with the British Bulldog. Bulldog turns heel and Luger is a left in the dust. His last major appearance is at SummerSlam, where he does a run-in to help Diesel, but Diesel beats him up anyway.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Yeah but torture rack > curb stomp

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Helicity posted:

Yeah but torture rack > curb stomp

But Luger didn't do the torture rack in WWF.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Gavok posted:

But Luger didn't do the torture rack in WWF.
He def at least started doing it, because I distinctly recall the "Rebel Rack" being called and I didn't watch WCW. But yeah that wouldn've been way after his run as a potential top face. Pretty sure he just used the loaded forearm for the majority of his WWF run (with the face commentators suddenly having no problem with the "steel plate" after he turned, ha).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Randaconda posted:

Jake had that creepy promo about Elizabeth.

"In time, I can mold her into something even I can love." or something like that

“I could cultivate her into something I could want!” is the capstone to that promo, and it’s somehow the least creepiest thing in the entire promo. The most is him, heavily breathing, begging Macho to bring her with him the next time they cross paths. It just builds and builds:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXuo6In8d_w