Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Okay... now this guy sounds about the same age as me. So maybe I misremember what being a kid was like, but if I had to sit though this bullshit at any point I could have called a child, I think I would find something better to do with my time. About the only time I could see liking that would be as a toddler, I'm sure the colors and swooshy sounds would be great entertainment back then.

Edit: GIS-ed "boring cat Imgur" tax

Viscous Soda fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Oct 15, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

Mirificus posted:

"There needs to be enough players with entry level ships so that they see it as a positive and privilege to be invited to work on my larger ship and become part of my crew. Their reward (apart from wages) will be to explore and adventure in places they would never survive solo. All in all it's a win win situation to own and crew a larger ship which will then be part of a fleet."

It's almost as if people play video games to experience something other than "real life." :confuoot:

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

https://twitter.com/890Jump/status/1184236143795228672

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

https://twitter.com/CitizenSerie/status/1184213881536819201

Fidelity

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

skeletors_condom posted:

It's almost as if people play video games to experience something other than "real life." :confuoot:

Come with me on an adventure in IT where i have two lists i have to compare and generate tickets from.

Come to think of it, Eve is an ender’s game for budding accountants

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Kinda out of the loop, but what's the deal with Banu Defender? It's one of the first alien ships, but I see nobody hyped over it. Is it "meh" for Citizens, because it's just another pew-pew ship, just with another look?

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

Hav posted:

Come with me on an adventure in IT where i have two lists i have to compare and generate tickets from.

Come to think of it, Eve is an ender’s game for budding accountants

I've never played Eve. From I've read it seems like an interesting concept, but not for me.

I would rather play something like Rise to Ruins (a rimworld-like base builder), which just got it's 1.0 release:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/328080/Rise_to_Ruins/

It's challenging, it's fun and the gameplay is good. it's not a polished turd infested with monetization parasites like most "AAA" titles.

I am not even talking about Star Citizen. IMO, it's not really a game. Although to be fair, I think many "AAA" titles aren't really games either. They are more like criminal conspiracies to run unlicensed gambling schemes.

Sanya Juutilainen posted:

Kinda out of the loop, but what's the deal with Banu Defender? It's one of the first alien ships, but I see nobody hyped over it. Is it "meh" for Citizens, because it's just another pew-pew ship, just with another look?

Seems like a generic fighter ship with generic "alien" styling. It totally does not justify the lies they made about "restructuring the pipeline to support alien ships." So more of the same.

skeletors_condom fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Oct 16, 2019

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
https://twitter.com/Lukas_Genever/status/1184049677404114944

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

And this, ladies and gents is the actual game.

This is why these guys throw thousands of dollars into this black hole. This is why they aren't really perturbed by any lack of progress or any bugs.

Theorycrafting and fantasies is what the game is for them, writing these kinds of 1800+ word essays about a better digital life they'll lead someday™.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

I'm going to hang out on his medical ship and give band-aids to miners, obviously, because what else am I going to do? It's not like I can afford a space ship in this space ship game.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

Quavers posted:

175 upvotes and 100 comments so far... :homebrew: :munch:

You are not suppose to feel pride for buying things.

Also no one cares. No one cares if you are a day one purchaser of WoW or Ultima Online or if you played Avatar on PLATO in 1979.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

XK posted:

I'm going to hang out on his medical ship and give band-aids to miners, obviously, because what else am I going to do? It's not like I can afford a space ship in this space ship game.

The band-aids are 20 dollars each, you're a nice man

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Daztek posted:

Star Citizen is hitting Steam Early Access!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOtCDd3pyyM

holy gently caress lol, they actually built Star Citizen

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Daztek posted:

Star Citizen is hitting Steam Early Access!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOtCDd3pyyM

Oh drat this looks not terrible! Is there a thread for this?

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Beet Wagon posted:

CIG is the only studio not building Star Citizen.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

kilus aof posted:

You are not suppose to feel pride for buying things.

Also no one cares. No one cares if you are a day one purchaser of WoW or Ultima Online or if you played Avatar on PLATO in 1979.

"support our dream game"

It still hasn't clicked with many of them the fundamental issue. There is no common dream game for them all. There are backers who want a PvP paradise and those who want a PvE paradise. Some want max realism while others would prefer fun take priority over realism.

Its like a game of musical chairs. As CIG remove a possibility (a chair) by actually implementing something, there will be someone left standing (not getting what they want).

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Nice, using an apparent link to celebrities to endorse your own vacant positions, even though neither of those celebrities work for CI¬g and were basically "rented" for a limited time.

My point is, loads of other games have celebrity cast for in game characters, but this is the first time I've ever seen a company use them as a hiring tool/aid. That's sad tbh.

"Come work for us and you might get to talk to Gary Oldman" :D

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sabreseven posted:

Nice, using an apparent link to celebrities to endorse your own vacant positions, even though neither of those celebrities work for CI¬g and were basically "rented" for a limited time.

My point is, loads of other games have celebrity cast for in game characters, but this is the first time I've ever seen a company use them as a hiring tool/aid. That's sad tbh.

"Come work for us and you might get to talk to Gary Oldman" :D

I read it as: 7 years in and we still haven't got the AI sorted for our single player game that we are meant to release next year. We are sooooo boned right now. Please, if you know anything about AI programming, come and work for us! We have celebs on tap!

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Beet Wagon posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNuu4dxu4Rw

Holy poo poo they actually did. A 3 person team.

loving LOL CROBBITS.

e: for any CGI jerkoffs or their supporters reading this, THIS is what pre-alpha gameplay looks like. All the features are in and working. The graphics are just kinda shoddy, but things 95% work. And how much does this cost? $16. SIXTEEN loving DOLLARS. NOT SIXTEEN THOUSAND.

The Rabbi T. White fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Oct 16, 2019

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Bofast posted:

Wait...
Placing a turtle on the floor of your space chariot kills you? How does that even happen?!? Does the physics engine send the turtle flying into your character fast enough to kill you or something?

Code whisperer Crobbear has been working on the physics engine day and night, which amounts to him randomly selecting stuff and pressing delete.
And that should answer your question.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The Rabbi T. White posted:

loving LOL CROBBITS.

e: for any CGI jerkoffs or their supporters reading this, THIS is what pre-alpha gameplay looks like. All the features are in and working. The graphics are just kinda shoddy, but things 95% work. And how much does this cost? $16. SIXTEEN loving DOLLARS. NOT SIXTEEN THOUSAND.

loving this x1000

The graphics aren't amazing but I'm 100% gonna pick this up and play around with it esp. for $16.

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

Some of Star Citizen could work if they toned down the "Fidelity" that is choking everyone's networking and servers and graphics cards. But no, Chris had to make it super realistic, spend almost 300 million to figure out why it was a bad idea, and scale it back some to maybe get a working mmo out of an engine built for a single player game. Any other company would have this sorted out on day one but Chris has been out of gaming for so long he has no clue what modern games are capable of and what the limitations are. You have to learn what the limitations are before you break them you loving clod!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

So for real I've been watching this dude play EA for Stars End and he hasn't crashed yet and the tutorial actually works? loving amainzg.

The Character models are a little weak but the environment looks decent so far.

EDIT: OMFG Doors and elevators work???? What sort of magic is this?

MarcusSA fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Oct 16, 2019

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Oh poo poo I'm just getting to the end and he has someone join the stream who is a Scam Citizen fan. Ha.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Oh poo poo I'm just getting to the end and he has someone join the stream who is a Scam Citizen fan. Ha.

They clearly don't know how to do game dev because his game hasn't crashed once...

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Star(s) Citizend: [insert witt here]

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Agony Aunt posted:

I read it as: 7 years in and we still haven't got the AI sorted for our single player game that we are meant to release next year. We are sooooo boned right now. Please, if you know anything about AI programming, come and work for us! We have celebs on tap!

:lol:

It’s worth revisiting this segment from late 2018, practically the last Chris & Sandi hosted ATV. Listen to them both carefully because there’s a lot of great stuff here. It feels like an eternity ago even though it’s less than a year old!

They speak with some apparent pride about finally getting a Squadron roadmap together and out. Chris lets us know they’re “on the downhill slope of Squadron production” now.

Chris: “By the end of ‘19, we’ll have pretty much all our features done. Q1 of ‘20, we’re doing the optimization phase, and polishing... Q2 will be the Beta phase.”

Sandi: “So i should keep my time free next summer?” (:lol:)

Chris keeps laying out his delusory case for the pending wrapup of Squadron development. He states that OCS was the last big R&D hurdle to clear, so should be easy going from here.

Sandi pretty much cracks his nuts here by bringing up the garbage AI. Chris is like “oh yeah, that’s a risk factor, too.” As it happens, Chris thinks they need twice as many AI programmers as they have if they’re going to keep to the schedule.

A year later, they’ve bungled their SQ roadmap targets all year and obviously haven’t solved their AI staffing challenges. Sandi seemed to anticipate that they’d come up short on AI staffing last year and, in a very rare moment of deft punchline delivery, snarks, “well I nominate you, just in case we can’t find that extra programmer.”

And then, once again, Chris openly pleads during a fan show for AI programmers to apply at CIG. A year later, the schedule was a pipe dream, Chris and Sandi both seem like they’ve gone into witness protection and yet CIG is still pleading for AI help...

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
has anyone said fart citizen yet

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
shart shitizen

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

loving LOL CROBBITS.

You don't understand, they cant go back and polish the graphics now... They cant just rework animations because they don't have pipelines in place. This is a complete lack of vision by newb developers who hacked everything together and took all the short cuts.

Look at the fidelity... It's terrible no one asked for quake 1 in space.

Also you don't have pay $16 for star citizen just wait for a free fly weekend.

Do some research before you go spreading hate.

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

IronicDongz posted:

shart shitizen

There was a no follow through after the jet of hot smelly air in star citizen.

There is never any follow through.

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

$16. SIXTEEN loving DOLLARS. NOT SIXTEEN THOUSAND.

That's what, 5 euros ? I could buy an idris for 500 baguettes.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Stars End is whack.

I did not die while using a ramp.

All the doors and elevators work.

Game didn't crash once.

1/10 crobears.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Any quality comments?

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

G0RF posted:

:lol:

It’s worth revisiting this segment from late 2018, practically the last Chris & Sandi hosted ATV. Listen to them both carefully because there’s a lot of great stuff here. It feels like an eternity ago even though it’s less than a year old!

They speak with some apparent pride about finally getting a Squadron roadmap together and out. Chris lets us know they’re “on the downhill slope of Squadron production” now.

Chris: “By the end of ‘19, we’ll have pretty much all our features done. Q1 of ‘20, we’re doing the optimization phase, and polishing... Q2 will be the Beta phase.”

Sandi: “So i should keep my time free next summer?” (:lol:)

Chris keeps laying out his delusory case for the pending wrapup of Squadron development. He states that OCS was the last big R&D hurdle to clear, so should be easy going from here.

Sandi pretty much cracks his nuts here by bringing up the garbage AI. Chris is like “oh yeah, that’s a risk factor, too.” As it happens, Chris thinks they need twice as many AI programmers as they have if they’re going to keep to the schedule.

A year later, they’ve bungled their SQ roadmap targets all year and obviously haven’t solved their AI staffing challenges. Sandi seemed to anticipate that they’d come up short on AI staffing last year and, in a very rare moment of deft punchline delivery, snarks, “well I nominate you, just in case we can’t find that extra programmer.”

And then, once again, Chris openly pleads during a fan show for AI programmers to apply at CIG. A year later, the schedule was a pipe dream, Chris and Sandi both seem like they’ve gone into witness protection and yet CIG is still pleading for AI help...

It certainly seems to be a problem for them.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Agony Aunt posted:

Any quality comments?

Nah not really. Guy is $600 in. It’s just hilarious that you can tell he is building up to it.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Agony Aunt posted:

You mean their Intelligence is a problem?

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Agony Aunt posted:

Stop your uncertain fearful doubting!

3.7 has solved all FPS AI issues. They simply run straight at the player now...

Are 3.7 AI better or just super agressive?

When is the last time FPS AI scared you? PSA Bring an extra gun.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

Jesus loving christ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010