Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

A ticket came in to attempt to power on and FDR ~30 ancient BlackBerry 8830 & 8703e. And record whether or not these devices, which were found in a storage room, powered off, without batteries, will power on so they can be FDR'd.

:smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe
Not only that but we found that a few vendors were somehow added to this DL too.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

dragonshardz posted:

A ticket came in to attempt to power on and FDR ~30 ancient BlackBerry 8830 & 8703e. And record whether or not these devices, which were found in a storage room, powered off, without batteries, will power on so they can be FDR'd.

"They are all completely broken" There, that took like 3 seconds.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Nth Doctor posted:

Hey can you remove me from this posting chain?

Most polite banme ever

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

taqueso posted:

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Renegret posted:

What's funny is that this really does fix about 90% of our IT problems in the contact center.

Yeah I know a lot of you don't have to deal with daily poo poo and are used to servers that aren't supposed to reboot but lol the average PC & User combination is a barely functional one. These people can't even read the words on the screen that's telling them exactly what their problem is. A huge chunk of them also won't even think to try restart/reset/reload if something acts up for a minute, it's immediately broken.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
What kind of users are you guys supporting whose jobs obviously depend on computers but don't know how to use them.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

Methanar posted:

What kind of users are you guys supporting whose jobs obviously depend on computers but don't know how to use them.

Most of them?

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Methanar posted:

The Human Macro, cheaper to baby along Dave from Finance and Tina in Accounts payable until they retire vs. firing them and trying to automate their jobs. Just barely cheaper.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

A senior VP posted:

We don't need to right-size because we're thin-provisioning

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

PirateDentist posted:

Most of them?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Datastore crash ahoy!

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Moey posted:

Datastore crash ahoy!

At best. People who don't understand storage and VM overhead should be 8n charge of neither.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

PirateDentist posted:

Most of them?

I was going to say pretty much anyone who works in a modern office. Also field workers.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

AlexDeGruven posted:

At best. People who don't understand storage and VM overhead should be 8n charge of neither.

Somehow our VMware infrastructure is even worse than our cloud stuff, it's truly impressive.

(They have us turning off unimportant VMs because we lost hosts and are hitting massive resource contention)

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Varkk posted:

I was going to say pretty much anyone who works in a modern office. Also field workers.
What I really don't get is how warehouse workers and the like are universally way better at just reading the screen than people who's primary task day-to-day is sitting at the computer and making the number into the other number.

nexxai posted:

we;lp been at this job for 323 days and despite my numerous suggestions to remove Send access to our company-wide distribution list, it was determined that removing access to anyone not in corporate communications wouldn't be a priority.

Obviously, you know what's been going on for the past hour.

Hit reply all: "told you so".

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Arquinsiel posted:

What I really don't get is how warehouse workers and the like are universally way better at just reading the screen than people who's primary task day-to-day is sitting at the computer and making the number into the other number.

Hit reply all: "told you so".

Because warehouse workers usually need to Make poo poo Work when it's not working, especially when you're talking about manufacturing workers, whereas office workers when poo poo is broken then can just say Thing Broke and not do work. That's my experience anyway.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

taqueso posted:

I mean, yes. It will take me longer to write out "Attempted to power on for FDR, device did not power on" 30 times than it will take to try to power then all on.

Methanar posted:

A good majority of them. I think I've sort of lucked out in that the people I deal with day-to-day are generally tech savvy but there are a few Human Macros here.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Also I think a problem with a lot of normal troubleshooting is that so much of it is route bullshit that people either skip it, or lie about it since it never works. I know when someone tells me to clear cache and cookies, I'll usually roll my eyes at it and 75% of the time I don't even bother.

Except in our contact center's case, most of the web based tools cache poo poo like crazy, so when there's an update you really do need to clear your cache for it to work. If I wasn't part of the high level troubleshooting and was just an end user getting information down from on high I don't think I'd believe it myself.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Clearing cache absolutely fixes Finesse login issues.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Bigass Moth posted:

That it does. P.S. FUCKKKKK Cisco finesse.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

That it does. P.S. FUCKKKKK Cisco

FTFY

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!

MF_James posted:

Because warehouse workers usually need to Make poo poo Work when it's not working, especially when you're talking about manufacturing workers, whereas office workers when poo poo is broken then can just say Thing Broke and not do work. That's my experience anyway.

Regular users have memorized the necessary actions to do their jobs, most don't know how to use a computer. When something unexpected happens, this thing that is familiar with them suddenly isn't, and it jams their brains into helplessness.

Someone who rarely uses computers isn't actively having their universe twisted, and no action they could potentially take is much less familiar than any other action.

How many situations have you dealt with where it would have been so much easier if everything was exactly the same except the user wasn't in their own head?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

xsf421 posted:

Somehow our VMware infrastructure is even worse than our cloud stuff, it's truly impressive.

(They have us turning off unimportant VMs because we lost hosts and are hitting massive resource contention)

But we're thin-provisioned, so it's all good.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

AlexDeGruven posted:

But we're thin-provisioned, so it's all good.

And here we are, full circle.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Bigass Moth posted:

The early days of Google Apps involved clearing cache and cookies once a week or so. And it really helped.These days their problems are much more subtle and insidious, but clearing cookies and cache still helps most of the time.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Bigass Moth posted:

What version of Finesse? We've been running it for years with no login issues. We're on 11.7 now but going to 12.5 next year. We make god drat sure everyone uses Firefox though. It by far works the best for Finesse.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

mllaneza posted:

The early days of Google Apps involved clearing cache and cookies once a week or so. And it really helped.These days their problems are much more subtle and insidious, but clearing cookies and cache still helps most of the time.

Office 365 wouldn’t sign you out properly unless you cleared your cookies for like, at least three years. It was a nightmare for my students using shared library computers.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Session cookies are the bane of my okta sandbox existence

I know I should just run in a private window but my users don't

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

AlexDeGruven posted:

A senior VP posted:

We don't need to right-size because we're thin-provisioning

Our CEO said this once, but it sounded better then.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

klosterdev posted:

Regular users have memorized the necessary actions to do their jobs, most don't know how to use a computer. When something unexpected happens, this thing that is familiar with them suddenly isn't, and it jams their brains into helplessness.

Sums it up pretty well. Our main software is an in house app that is old enough to buy smokes with big chunks of its core dating back to the mid 90s. People using it since the first version still don't have a clue how the box it runs on works, and there are a few people who've been with this company for over 35 years, it was computerized then, still know just barely enough to do their job. They've no interest in anything past what is needed. It's annoying to deal with but it's not like they can't do their job (most of the time) because of it.

CollegeCop
Jul 11, 2005

You're right. I'm not a real cop. Those are imaginary handcuffs. And in a minute, we'll be going to the make-believe jail.

Methanar posted:

1 - Overseas software developers. The guys that write the programs that computers run on. I physically cringe every time I see an overseas number come up on the caller ID. How you can write the programs, yet have no idea how to use the device the program runs on is complete mystery to me. And yet, here we are.

2 - People who use the computer everyday for one specific task, do not know how use it for any other task, and immediately go into vapor lock if anything is out of the ordinary with that one task they know how to do.

3 - People who have convinced themselves that they "Just aren't good with computers", and have built a mental block that thwarts any effort to get them to follow directions, no matter how simply stated.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

This just sounds like they are saying your job is safe because they are just going to work you to death

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

RFC2324 posted:

This just sounds like they are saying your job is safe because they are just going to work you to death

Fortunately, I don't manage the VMWare space (what was being referenced in the quote). But the problem is, there will be (have been) failures because of this mindset, and it won't be the SVP that pays for it.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

Methanar posted:

I think a big component of whether a user learns self support or becomes completely helpless when a computer does something unexpected is management style. In the warehouse worker example, the likelyhood of the worker getting his or her rear end chewed by their manager if poo poo doesn't get done is insanely high. Blaming the issue on the malfunctioning computer isn't going to fly either, as the warehouse manager has no interest in playing office politics and making IT look bad. They have product to move.

In the average office setting however the excuse of "can't work, computer's broke" is readily accepted and gleefully used by managers as an excuse to poo poo on IT.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

GreenNight posted:

What version of Finesse? We've been running it for years with no login issues. We're on 11.7 now but going to 12.5 next year. We make god drat sure everyone uses Firefox though. It by far works the best for Finesse.

Any version. My company uses IE so you know it's poo poo anyway.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

PremiumSupport posted:

I think a big component of whether a user learns self support or becomes completely helpless when a computer does something unexpected is management style. In the warehouse worker example, the likelyhood of the worker getting his or her rear end chewed by their manager if poo poo doesn't get done is insanely high. Blaming the issue on the malfunctioning computer isn't going to fly either, as the warehouse manager has no interest in playing office politics and making IT look bad. They have product to move.

In the average office setting however the excuse of "can't work, computer's broke" is readily accepted and gleefully used by managers as an excuse to poo poo on IT.

Or as an excuse for workers to not work.

"Program X isn't responding, can't do work." OK, Frank, close Program X and try again, possibly without asking it to sort a billion rows of financial data.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

dragonshardz posted:

Or as an excuse for workers to not work.

"Program X isn't responding, can't do work." OK, Frank, close Program X and try again, possibly without asking it to sort a billion rows of financial data.

If sorting all the data at once is wrong i don't want to be right.

Has anyone ever tried sorting the kernel?

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

AlexDeGruven posted:

Fortunately, I don't manage the VMWare space (what was being referenced in the quote). But the problem is, there will be (have been) failures because of this mindset, and it won't be the SVP that pays for it.

The useless leader of the virtualization team got fired though! It’s somehow his fault that all the hardware purchase orders haven’t been approved in close to a year because we’re now a “cloud first” company. (With 6000 vms still on prem)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

dragonshardz posted:

I would think they're already FDR'd since they're disabled AND dead.