Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

an cow
Mar 18, 2002

This post may lower your reputation
Got the crazy idea to make a jund sac deck work off the brawl dragon dude and a bunch of rats and have been moderately successful with the jank below. Any ideas on how to tighten it up? Idea is to ramp into Korvold and get him huge/ping people to death off the rat tokens he makes with mad ratter + card draw. Cats seem too slow for it plus they clearly wouldn't get along with the rats. So far haven't had any issues with the manabase but I feel like it can stall out a bit easily (although that might just be my not mulling aggressive enough like the r/b sac deck)

4 Blood Crypt (RNA) 245
2 Castle Locthwain (ELD) 241
4 Fabled Passage (ELD) 244
3 Overgrown Tomb (GRN) 253
3 Stomping Ground (RNA) 259
2 Swamp (ANA) 58
1 Mountain (ANA) 59
2 Forest (ANA) 60
3 Gilded Goose (ELD) 160
3 Gutterbones (RNA) 76
1 Claim the Firstborn (ELD) 118
2 Angrath's Rampage (WAR) 185
1 Assassin's Trophy (GRN) 152
2 Once Upon a Time (ELD) 169
3 Paradise Druid (WAR) 171
3 Piper of the Swarm (ELD) 100
2 Priest of Forgotten Gods (RNA) 83
1 Ayara, First of Locthwain (ELD) 75
2 Bedevil (RNA) 157
4 Mayhem Devil (WAR) 204
2 Mad Ratter (ELD) 130
2 Rankle, Master of Pranks (ELD) 101
2 Vraska, Golgari Queen (GRN) 213
1 Syr Konrad, the Grim (ELD) 107
3 Korvold, Fae-Cursed King (ELD) 329
2 Temple of Malady (M20) 254

2 Veil of Summer (M20) 198
2 Find // Finality (GRN) 225
2 Legion's End (M20) 106
1 Drill Bit (RNA) 73
3 Noxious Grasp (M20) 110
1 Bedevil (RNA) 157
2 Ashiok, Dream Render (WAR) 228
2 Assassin's Trophy (GRN) 152

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Propaganda Hour posted:

Aw come on I was about to do the drat thing.

Decklist - MTGO Standard PTQ Temur Reclamation - Finespoo

2 Quench (RNA) 48
2 Aether Gust (M20) 42
3 Shock (M20) 160
3 Mystical Dispute (ELD) 58
3 Flame Sweep (M20) 139
4 Breeding Pool (RNA) 246
4 Steam Vents (GRN) 257
4 Stomping Ground (RNA) 259
1 Ral's Outburst (WAR) 212
1 Sinister Sabotage (GRN) 54
1 Island (ELD) 254
2 Mountain (ELD) 262
2 Castle Vantress (ELD) 242
4 Temple of Epiphany (M20) 253
4 Temple of Mystery (M20) 255
3 Expansion // Explosion (GRN) 224
3 Chemister's Insight (GRN) 32
4 Wilderness Reclamation (RNA) 149
4 Opt (ELD) 59
4 Growth Spiral (RNA) 178
2 Niv-Mizzet, Parun (GRN) 192

2 Aether Gust (M20) 42
1 Mystical Dispute (ELD) 58
1 Flame Sweep (M20) 139
2 Negate (M20) 69
1 Narset, Parter of Veils (WAR) 61
3 Lava Coil (GRN) 108
2 Fry (M20) 140
1 Ashiok, Dream Render (WAR) 228

I fought this and I was super confused as to what was going on but then they died before getting an explosion off

kater
Nov 16, 2010

an cow posted:

Got the crazy idea to make a jund sac deck work off the brawl dragon dude and a bunch of rats and have been moderately successful with the jank below. Any ideas on how to tighten it up? Idea is to ramp into Korvold and get him huge/ping people to death off the rat tokens he makes with mad ratter + card draw. Cats seem too slow for it plus they clearly wouldn't get along with the rats. So far haven't had any issues with the manabase but I feel like it can stall out a bit easily (although that might just be my not mulling aggressive enough like the r/b sac deck)

Hey we played earlier. Neat. I was also playing a Jund mess.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
this deck seems kind of fun

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/budget-magic-92-wb-prison-standard-magic-arena

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

I'm assuming they meant to put Fabled Passage in, not Evolving Wilds?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I installed this this weekend because a couple of friends started playing it. I haven't played magic in a longass time and holy poo poo this version is way quicker and more fun to play than IRL magic. And, I don't have to spend cash I guess.

Also, absolutely loving the sounds swamps make. Can't believe I'm enjoying magic in tyool 2019 this much but game's good. :v:

Homers BBBq
Mar 11, 2008

Shooting Blanks posted:

I'm assuming they meant to put Fabled Passage in, not Evolving Wilds?

I thought that too but its because its the "budget" version. If you scroll down its included in the upgraded version. This deck seems fun. I played the doom dance deck a few times during the all cards event but didn't have a ton of success with it. I'm interested in trying to make doom work.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
Assuming Field gets banned, I can see Doom/Dance decks becoming viable again.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Homers BBBq posted:

I thought that too but its because its the "budget" version. If you scroll down its included in the upgraded version. This deck seems fun. I played the doom dance deck a few times during the all cards event but didn't have a ton of success with it. I'm interested in trying to make doom work.

I just see in the main text "Looking to stick it to the top deck in Standard" which made me wonder. If you put this together let me know how it runs, it looks fun but drat that's a lot of WCs for me.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
There is absolutely a playable Esper Dance deck somewhere in the format, it’s just one of the many viable strategies that is completely negated by 6-8 uncounterable power hitting the table 2-3 times a turn.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Drewjitsu posted:

It still seems a little light with 6 basics. I'd probably run 7 or 8 with swamp and mountain being the last two, just to prevent doubling issues. You can run into some fotd activation problems if you draw basics in your starting 7.

the manabase is super tricky, in addition to having diverse names for field, you also have to worry about actually being able to cast growth spiral on curve. if i put in a mountain or swamp i'd have to cut a spell for them. tbh i'm fine with the third circuitous route not being good or whatever

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Not sure what I should cut here:

The bots don't seem to be passing as many So Tinies or Merfolk Secretkeepers, at least in that draft.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Arivia posted:

Not sure what I should cut here:

The bots don't seem to be passing as many So Tinies or Merfolk Secretkeepers, at least in that draft.

forever young isn't great because you don't have many good creatures that you'd actually want in the late game, you could put it in the sideboard and just wish for it if you end up wanting it. lost legion is a fine card but not really enough to justify the risk of trying to hit BB on turn 3 off of 8 swamps. spinning wheel is an easy cut

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Propaganda Hour posted:

Aw come on I was about to do the drat thing.

Decklist - MTGO Standard PTQ Temur Reclamation - Finespoo

2 Quench (RNA) 48
2 Aether Gust (M20) 42
3 Shock (M20) 160
3 Mystical Dispute (ELD) 58
3 Flame Sweep (M20) 139
4 Breeding Pool (RNA) 246
4 Steam Vents (GRN) 257
4 Stomping Ground (RNA) 259
1 Ral's Outburst (WAR) 212
1 Sinister Sabotage (GRN) 54
1 Island (ELD) 254
2 Mountain (ELD) 262
2 Castle Vantress (ELD) 242
4 Temple of Epiphany (M20) 253
4 Temple of Mystery (M20) 255
3 Expansion // Explosion (GRN) 224
3 Chemister's Insight (GRN) 32
4 Wilderness Reclamation (RNA) 149
4 Opt (ELD) 59
4 Growth Spiral (RNA) 178
2 Niv-Mizzet, Parun (GRN) 192

2 Aether Gust (M20) 42
1 Mystical Dispute (ELD) 58
1 Flame Sweep (M20) 139
2 Negate (M20) 69
1 Narset, Parter of Veils (WAR) 61
3 Lava Coil (GRN) 108
2 Fry (M20) 140
1 Ashiok, Dream Render (WAR) 228

Hey, it's my favorite tier 3 deck! Still can't deal with a resolved Teferi. I still remember when this deck was good but man I can't remember the last time a deck was so thoroughly destroyed by a single card. Shame, it could be a good counter to golos

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Drafting with bots has always been not great, and not a real representation of how drafting actually works but until Eldraine its at least been a functional facsimile.

They are completely horrid in Eldraine, and I'd argue drafting this set on Arena is actively bad. Blue/Black is open like 90% of the time and its ludicrously easy to force. I got a p3p8 Revenge of Ravens this morning. it was the 3rd one I was passed. This is not a fun experience. Playing the mill deck 3-4 times in a draft run is not fun. Blacks always open so every deck is ludicrously grindy and filled with removal. Aggro is bad in paper too, but there is basically no way on the client to put any reasonable aggro deck together.

I might stop, or at least close to stop, drafting this set on arena unless they do something about it. its a shame, being able to draft whenever you want and take your time is such a good thing to have but the system is just broken.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Paul Zuvella posted:

Drafting with bots has always been not great, and not a real representation of how drafting actually works but until Eldraine its at least been a functional facsimile.

They are completely horrid in Eldraine, and I'd argue drafting this set on Arena is actively bad. Blue/Black is open like 90% of the time and its ludicrously easy to force. I got a p3p8 Revenge of Ravens this morning. it was the 3rd one I was passed. This is not a fun experience. Playing the mill deck 3-4 times in a draft run is not fun. Blacks always open so every deck is ludicrously grindy and filled with removal. Aggro is bad in paper too, but there is basically no way on the client to put any reasonable aggro deck together.

I might stop, or at least close to stop, drafting this set on arena unless they do something about it. its a shame, being able to draft whenever you want and take your time is such a good thing to have but the system is just broken.

Yea, with each draft I enter I'm getting more and more annoyed at the endless blue (optionally black) mill decks.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I have been able to regularly draft 3-4 Bake Into a Pie on Arena, because the bots are fine with letting that get to pick 5 regularly. It's gross

an cow
Mar 18, 2002

This post may lower your reputation

kater posted:

Hey we played earlier. Neat. I was also playing a Jund mess.

I was about to ask which Mythic ranked Golos Fires player you were. Sup.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Paul Zuvella posted:

I'm only still drafting because I am trying to get a full rare playset. Only about 16 more drafts to go (I've done 12 so far).

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Paul Zuvella posted:

Pretty much positive they set the bots to exclusively hunt rares and draft rares. Out of 10ish limited drafts and two traditional drafts I only hit more than 3 rares once. I don't mind if they still snap up all the rares they should at least stop hunting uncommons too so we stop seeing strong common cards flooding everything. This makes the mill even more ridiculous since the four secretkeepers that hit the board already might just be the tip of the iceberg in some peoples decks.

I just want them to get some playtesters to make limited decks, slot them into bots, and have those bots hunt those decks.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
why, why do I play sealed, this was so dumb. I have some decent green-black synergy, the rest of the colors are garbage.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

sephiRoth IRA posted:

why, why do I play sealed, this was so dumb. I have some decent green-black synergy, the rest of the colors are garbage.

You probably shouldn’t be playing tournament grounds in a b/g deck. Also probably shouldn’t be playing a quad black card (which the b/r hybrid guy is)

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Look Around You posted:

You probably shouldn’t be playing tournament grounds in a b/g deck. Also probably shouldn’t be playing a quad black card (which the b/r hybrid guy is)

I was thinking it would be a good late game damage engine with the food sacs, but you might be right.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
i'd sub out headhunter for reaper, one noble or pair for your paladin, and consider barrow witches over wolf's quarry since you didn't pick up any of the big food bombs

also what colorless artifacts do you have? i'd be shocked if you didn't open any usable ones

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

seriously though why is that tournament grounds in there?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

also that deck is like three artifacts away from being decent mono black, and now I'm curious about the rest of the pool to see if it could be a 14/3 Bx deck

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

sephiRoth IRA posted:

why, why do I play sealed, this was so dumb.
Your pool is excellent and you're playing trash maindeck with good cards in the board. I don't understand what you're complaining about.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Lone Goat posted:

seriously though why is that tournament grounds in there?

I'd guess for the headhunter?

edit:

Lone Goat posted:

also that deck is like three artifacts away from being decent mono black, and now I'm curious about the rest of the pool to see if it could be a 14/3 Bx deck

oh god yeah I didn't even look at that (because I like keeper of fables so much) but that's a really good point

show the full pool!

flatluigi fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Oct 16, 2019

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
I opened a single glass slipper. I made the recommended changes, went 1-3, going back to the play queue in shame.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Limited bad standard bad so what

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Arglebargle III posted:

Limited bad standard bad so what

modern... good?

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Paul Zuvella posted:

modern... good?

Someone's heavily invested in Mox Opal futures I see

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I think Modern is probably not super healthy at a macro level, but I’ve been going to paper events for the past few weeks an I haven’t had this much fun playing Magic in forever. God bless MH1.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Modern is the healthiest format in the game besides Commander

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Bust Rodd posted:

Modern is the healthiest format in the game besides Commander

Yeah that was whack that MTGA did Commander (or Brawl or EDH whatever the gently caress it's called) for a couple days and never followed up. I'd play that exclusively if I could. Especially if they did constructed or drafts instead of just the precons.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Zero VGS posted:

Yeah that was whack that MTGA did Commander (or Brawl or EDH whatever the gently caress it's called) for a couple days and never followed up. I'd play that exclusively if I could. Especially if they did constructed or drafts instead of just the precons.
Good news! There are brawl events next weekend which are *check notes* in your local store and give... Two commons and a rare on arena as well as... Card styles? Oh and you have to buy one of the precons, likely at an inflated price, or maybe not as the events are slightly unclear.

Also the codes will be emailed out, they aren't in the packages because... um... stuff

Yay! Arena is firing on all cylinders this season!

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Spiderdrake posted:

Good news! There are brawl events next weekend which are *check notes* in your local store and give... Two commons and a rare on arena as well as... Card styles? Oh and you have to buy one of the precons, likely at an inflated price, or maybe not as the events are slightly unclear.

Also the codes will be emailed out, they aren't in the packages because... um... stuff

Yay! Arena is firing on all cylinders this season!

The last time I tried to play magic at a local card store I felt like a pedophile. Yes, mid-thirties guy, just go into this basement with a bunch of 14 year olds to play with them, nothing strange about that.

edit: Said 14 year olds, of course, kicked my rear end in MtG.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

So if you're trying to cast mesmeric gaze (hypnotic sprite) with a lucky clover out, in a normal situation, there's no way it doesn't end up in the graveyard, right?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Zero VGS posted:

The last time I tried to play magic at a local card store I felt like a pedophile. Yes, mid-thirties guy, just go into this basement with a bunch of 14 year olds to play with them, nothing strange about that.

edit: Said 14 year olds, of course, kicked my rear end in MtG.

Whereabouts do you live? I live in what passes for a big city on South Carolina and our local game stores are almost exclusively dudes in their 30’s/40’s with a smattering of college kids and maybe 1-2 high schoolers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

resistentialism posted:

So if you're trying to cast mesmeric gaze (hypnotic sprite) with a lucky clover out, in a normal situation, there's no way it doesn't end up in the graveyard, right?

yeah, I think it has the same invalid target issue as all the other single-target adventures do when copied. they all probably should've been templated to say 'up to one target,' but I guess it never came up in testing (or might've even had a misruling in testing!)