Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

If anyone's on the fence about preordering, Amazon UK have a neat special box for the game that costs the same as the regular version and imo has much nicer art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Review copies are out, embargo ends November 1st.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I feel like the gameplay is going to be really divisive if a significant chunk of it really is just travelling and delivering cargo.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

So much of open world games is traveling and exploring, take Breath of the Wild and Red Dead Redemption 2. When done well that can be a lot of fun, very immersive. I like that they're trying something different, since do we need to run into a goon every few minutes to make that kind of thing engaging? Finding other ways to stay engaged seems cool.

Agreed that it may be divisive for some gamers, we've seen takes on that already, but I don't think that will review poorly or anything. As for me, I'm all for a game with less combat, I've taken countless digital lives this year already. The ol' trigger fingers could use some rest.

That said, we've seen that there are some MGS-esque stealth areas where you can put ropes on enemies etc. So that'll be in the mix a bit. And we've seen that you can choose to fight big monsters, although maybe you can avoid them as well it sounds like. And likely there will be boss fights that are part of the story I'm gonna guess. So even if this game has less combat in general, there's still tension and enemies in there. So it's not quite a pacifist chillax game overall.

And with so many games we're used to doing little side quests, fetch quests etc, would doing those without running into enemies be boring necessarily? Or would it be engaging for other reasons due to Hideo and co.'s attention to detail and interesting vibe, and I'd thank them that I didn't have to mash the triggers a bunch for a while? Definitely the latter, or ladder as MGS3 would say. Not that you're saying otherwise or anything.

I may end up playing this game and saying, this ruled, but I actually could've gone for even less combat. I look forward to seeing what we get, that's for sure.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

I'm interested to see if there will be times where you might engineer a void out to get past an obstacle or create new paths, and what the outcomes are if you destroy too many remaining societies, or all of them, instead of linking them up.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

Stare-Out posted:

Review copies are out, embargo ends November 1st.

This should be a good sign

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Kojima and Refn are talking about the game and movies right now: https://www.twitch.tv/rocketbeanstv

Refn isn't on the stage yet but he should be there soon.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
Wonder what the cutscene-to-gameplay will be like.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Adaptabullshit posted:

This should be a good sign

I think it's a really positive sign that reviewers have it this early. It tells me that they're confident it's good, that it's not a buggy mess and that it's going to be a decently long game.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
When can we expect prerelease leaks to show up now that reviewers have it? Hyped to see Norman Reedus pissing via cell phone footage of someone's TV screen

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

RatHat posted:

I feel like the gameplay is going to be really divisive if a significant chunk of it really is just travelling and delivering cargo.

Yep? I mean MGS4 was divisive in how it was just a movie and not a game.

But at the same time, I think most people interested in Death Stranding know going in its going to be weird and want it to be weird, so that mitigates a TON of potential issues with expectations there.

Also, they went ahead and made it a shooter after all, so I'm pretty sure there's gonna be a healthy bit of combat breaking up the travelling.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Zaphod42 posted:

Yep? I mean MGS4 was divisive in how it was just a movie and not a game.

But at the same time, I think most people interested in Death Stranding know going in its going to be weird and want it to be weird, so that mitigates a TON of potential issues with expectations there.

Also, they went ahead and made it a shooter after all, so I'm pretty sure there's gonna be a healthy bit of combat breaking up the travelling.

this. the problem with 4 was all the hype built up around it after the story conclusion of 2 and how deep 3 mechanic wise. instead it was kinda all over the place. DS being a new IP doesn't have to worry about that stuff. it can be as weird as it wants and people want that.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Wolfsheim posted:

When can we expect prerelease leaks to show up now that reviewers have it? Hyped to see Norman Reedus pissing via cell phone footage of someone's TV screen

They showed the safe house gameplay with taking selfies, I wonder if he can take any outside? Just chillin with this giant piss mushroom #bigpisshroom

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
kojima also seems really, really passionate about death stranding. i don't think he was exactly thrilled at having to make mgs4.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I love MGS4. While you see it being considered divisive a bit on forums, I think it was a bit too well received overall to be summed up as such. It sure gets remembered more than a lot of games from around 2008. It had big shoes to fill, picking up on MGS2's cliffhanger and wrapping up Solid Snake's saga. I think MGS4 was a tough job to do, but Hideo sure seemed passionate about it to me. Bold stuff with the story, man it moved me. But everybody digs different stuff.

That all said, it's fun to think that this game could have a lot of long cutscenes, I hadn't figured that. Since that's not the trend at the moment, especially in open world games, and MGSV was so light on them. I'd love to see a bit more cutscenes here, it's just interesting to see people still expect that from ol' Hideo.

And I do think we'll see things swing back that way on cutscenes being considered okay. We've explored the idea of most stuff being "in game" a lot, watching conversations and everything play out in real time while you spin your guy around or whatever. That can be cool, but I think a well edited & directed cutscene can do a lot of other things well too. So I say let's have more cutscenes, especially when done by somebody excellent like Hideo.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Saying MGS4 was a movie is unfair because the gameplay that was there is nearly as robust as MGS5. it was just woefully short in favor of 20 hours of cutscenes.

MGS4 and 5 had no difficulty balance whatsoever and made you insanely OP within hours. Personally I hope this isn't the case with death stranding.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

veni veni veni posted:

Saying MGS4 was a movie is unfair because the gameplay that was there is nearly as robust as MGS5. it was just woefully short in favor of 20 hours of cutscenes.

That's what calling it a movie means?? lol

If you wanted to say the gameplay was bad you'd say the gameplay was bad. And, I mean, it was solid but too short to really get a feel for anyways. The levels go down easy in like 10 minutes.

The one bad thing I'll say about the gameplay is the boss fights feel super repetitive and go on too long, and as a result of the rest of the gameplay being so short, they end up being the majority of what you actually play.

Although maybe I'm biased because I really did not like the Beauty & Beast unit. That's like peak Kojima design. A team of all sexy women who were all extremely traumatized by battle and now have weird animal names because they have robot parts. That's Kojima as hell.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

I loved the gameplay in MGS4, I loved the cutscenes in MGS4. The problem, from my perspective, was that once you were even a little bit good at the game, you could blow through the gameplay segments in less time than it took for the next cutscene to play. So you might spend 5 minutes slipping through an area then 20 minutes waiting to advance to the next one. Im pretty sure all the cutscene were skippable though (might be remembering wrong).

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

That's what calling it a movie means?? lol

If you wanted to say the gameplay was bad you'd say the gameplay was bad. And, I mean, it was solid but too short to really get a feel for anyways. The levels go down easy in like 10 minutes.

The one bad thing I'll say about the gameplay is the boss fights feel super repetitive and go on too long, and as a result of the rest of the gameplay being so short, they end up being the majority of what you actually play.

Although maybe I'm biased because I really did not like the Beauty & Beast unit. That's like peak Kojima design. A team of all sexy women who were all extremely traumatized by battle and now have weird animal names because they have robot parts. That's Kojima as hell.

I get what you are saying and I agree the amount of actual gameplay is way to loving low, but when people call it a movie I think it's doing a disservice to the actual gameplay which is really good.

B&B unit was dumb as hell but it was my kind of dumb and thoroughly entertaining, even if I couldn't help but facepalm during some of those backstories where I could practically hear Kojima jacking off in the background.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Oct 17, 2019

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
the war zone in act 1 and the compound in act 2 are loving sublime. can't say enough good things about them from top to bottom, really feels like sneaking through a war zone in a way that nothing ever has. and then that goes away and never comes back and you find out solidus was frozen in Carbonite.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Back in the 90s Hideo made TV shows on a disc, like Policenauts. This guy is doing his thang in the medium he happened upon. A lot of audio drama in his games too, I love that. I put the controller down quite a bit, and I don't mind. I just can't predict what Hideo's style with evolve into in these coming years. I look forward to finding out!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Sammus posted:

I loved the gameplay in MGS4, I loved the cutscenes in MGS4. The problem, from my perspective, was that once you were even a little bit good at the game, you could blow through the gameplay segments in less time than it took for the next cutscene to play. So you might spend 5 minutes slipping through an area then 20 minutes waiting to advance to the next one. Im pretty sure all the cutscene were skippable though (might be remembering wrong).

Harkening back to my last post, I think this is just as big of a problem in MGS5, which isn't all cutscenes. MGS went from a series where you actually had to plan your moves and play by the games rules, to a murderfest where snake can just buy his way into beating an area in minutes. The difficulty balance is just complete poo poo in MGS4 and 5. There's no challenge to be had in either game unless you force it on yourself. Honestly it's my biggest issue with both of them.

Gay Horney posted:

the war zone in act 1 and the compound in act 2 are loving sublime. can't say enough good things about them from top to bottom, really feels like sneaking through a war zone in a way that nothing ever has. and then that goes away and never comes back and you find out solidus was frozen in Carbonite.

:hai:

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I ain't widdit, I love all the Hideo games. MGS3 is also very forgiving on normal, leaving a screen if enemies are after you etc, and I dig it. I can't deny the bosses took some time, but I play MGS sloppy and kill tons of people. On RPG grinding a bit to make a game easy, that's an option in a lot of things, I'm cool with that. Death Stranding is not going to be as challenging as MGS2 in all likelihood, he's doing new stuff. It seems it's gonna be about ambiance, getting immersed in this wild situation, exploration, etc. And being open world with a bunch of options and angles, it's just not likely about fine tuned challenge I think. And that's cool with me.

Hopefully as my hands fall off with age, Hideo's games chill out and his last one is as tough as like a Wii Kirby game. I don't need a great film or book to kick my rear end, why does a great game need to kick my rear end. I mean hey, I'm a warrior, I can take it, I'm just saying.... on the battlefield.... what is... battle....

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat
I'd like to relink this video about MGS4 that I think has some good insights:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93-_r0w7ykI

The title is a little clickbaity but it's good.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I found MGS5 to be easier because the controls didn't feel like rear end, which is the first thing I notice whenever I go back to any of the pre-GZ Metal Gear games.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

drkeiscool posted:

The title is a little clickbaity but it's good.

No way it's an abomination, this video blows. One time when watching some MGS stuff with the boys we clicked on it as a goof, flipped through it a bit, it is a sham.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

Gay Horney posted:

i have to say, i enjoyed using stealth to actually support the rebels secure their zones in the first acts. hell, i think there's enough to the ideas and systems in the first acts that could be expanded to a full game someday. i'm pretty disappointed that MGSV never did anything like that, especially since we're fighting in morally gray, active combat zones like the African region

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

Heavy Metal posted:

No way it's an abomination, this video blows. One time when watching some MGS stuff with the boys we clicked on it as a goof, flipped through it a bit, it is a sham.

why do you say that?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Heavy Metal posted:

I ain't widdit, I love all the Hideo games. MGS3 is also very forgiving on normal, leaving a screen if enemies are after you etc, and I dig it. I can't deny the bosses took some time, but I play MGS sloppy and kill tons of people. On RPG grinding a bit to make a game easy, that's an option in a lot of things, I'm cool with that. Death Stranding is not going to be as challenging as MGS2 in all likelihood, he's doing new stuff. It seems it's gonna be about ambiance, getting immersed in this wild situation, exploration, etc. And being open world with a bunch of options and angles, it's just not likely about fine tuned challenge I think. And that's cool with me.

Hopefully as my hands fall off with age, Hideo's games chill out and his last one is as tough as like a Wii Kirby game. I don't need a great film or book to kick my rear end, why does a great game need to kick my rear end. I mean hey, I'm a warrior, I can take it, I'm just saying.... on the battlefield.... what is... battle....

It's less that I demand it to be challenging and more that I just thought it was dumb that you can just buy endless ammo and gadgets via menus. Made me feel way less engaged with it because nothing mattered. I guess some people love having all of those options but to me it was just an annoying temptation, when I just wanted to "get into it" but I always had all this OP crap I could just buy in the pause menu.

At least Ground Zeroes had all sorts of optional challenge stuff. MGS5 had almost none of that.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

drkeiscool posted:

why do you say that?

For one it's a 3.5 hour long Youtube video.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
I actually love the idea of death stranding having big open stretches of wilderness, given the footage released so far it seems like it could make for a cool environmental semi-puzzle as you try to cross the landscape in creative ways. It could be combined with survival aspects which I personally enjoy (though I know it's not everyone's bag).

Also, if the creatures - whatever they are - are actually quite rare in the wild and you never know when or if you'll stumble into them it would be great for maintaining tension.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Here's a 4 minute version that's probably funnier

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kNrIn8H32c

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

drkeiscool posted:

why do you say that?

I mean, you like it because it's a critique that you agree with, more or less? And to me it's an annoying tone guy saying stuff that I find to be a sham in a very long winded way. Which hey, some people feel that way about this game, some don't, it's not exactly an unexamined game. This video would be like electrocuting my rear end essentially.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

Heavy Metal posted:

I mean, you like it because it's a critique that you agree with, more or less? And to me it's an annoying tone guy saying stuff that I find to be a sham in a very long winded way. Which hey, some people feel that way about this game, some don't, it's not exactly an unexamined game. This video would be like electrocuting my rear end essentially.

eh, fair enough

Flimf
Sep 3, 2006

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

First leaks from journalists seem to indicate that - indeed - Kojima-san can take my heart and hold it together until gaming falls apart

e: also not much to talk about. An unsourced portuguese journalist who says it's a masterpiece and one of the best games ever made, but not for everyone. As a fan of RDR2 and MGS, I'm really looking forward to it

tuo fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Oct 19, 2019

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

MGS4 was bad because as soon as I got used to the controls, and started to enjoy it, all of the mechanics changed. Suddenly it was a rail shooter, and then I had to fight robots in a manner different than the humans I had been fighting, and then I was playing Virtual ON.

By the time I had to sneak around humans for the final mission, I lost all of my relevant MGS skill.

MGS4 is so much of a non-cohesive minigame fest that it should be a launch title for a nintendo console.

But on the main topic: if DS is just good gameplay wise, it'll be amazing just because of it's ridiculous story and setting.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

tuo posted:

First leaks from journalists seem to indicate that - indeed - Kojima-san can take my heart and hold it together until gaming falls apart

e: also not much to talk about. An unsourced portuguese journalist who says it's a masterpiece and one of the best games ever made, but not for everyone. As a fan of RDR2 and MGS, I'm really looking forward to it

Dan Ryckert of Giant Bomb has hinted that he's absolutely not enjoying it, but also he ended up really hating RDR2, so take that as you will.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

Pylons posted:

Dan Ryckert of Giant Bomb has hinted that he's absolutely not enjoying it, but also he ended up really hating RDR2, so take that as you will.

What has he brought up? Spoiler tags where appropriate, please.

Asteroid Alert fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Oct 19, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Adaptabullshit posted:

What has he brought up? Spoiler where appropriate, please.

Nothing specific (since it's still embargoed) he's just said things like a certain game that he's playing has made him retroactively have more appreciation for RDR2, that he's basically already stopped playing it because life is too short to play things you don't enjoy.