Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Pirate Jet posted:

Very weird to say that VR is dying when the Quest released to massive success like three months ago.

It's reality, consumer VR is nothing but a footnote. It's dead, Jim.

And, from what I'm able to find, the Quest has not been a "massive success" so far. When all you get from the company is "We’re so glad to see the excitement and interest in Oculus Quest" you can pretty much tell it's been a pretty tepid launch.

Lambert fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Oct 16, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Consumer VR was and still is riding the wave of massive hype from a couple years ago, it's basically just kind of a thing that exists at this point without any real sort of mainstream traction. Much like Stadia will be in a few years, assuming Google hasn't already killed it.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Can't wait to find out what happens when Google realizes that the market that isn't interested in buying consoles or PCs to play games is also the market that runs 802.11g on modem/router combos with the same channel as 30 of their neighbors

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Richard M Nixon posted:

Presumably the bulk would come from fees charged to the developer and publisher (I'm assuming that you have to pay Microsoft to make an Xbox game, etc) as well as any cuts that come from selling games in the stadia store. I'm sure that if they are launching a free service, there's a plan for turning stadia into a profit center that relies on something other than people buying controllers.

Expecting Google to have a plan on how to make a profit on a new product means you haven't been paying attention to them for the past 15 years. They are the masters of throwing poo poo at the wall to see what sticks, and even if it does they will get bored with it.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
VR is definitely dead, that's why:

Valve have released a top-of-the-market headset and have multiple VR games in development
Oculus continue to pour ludicrous money into R&D with some incredibly impressive results, their latest prototype looks like a pair of ski goggles, as opposed to a full-on headset
Respawn is making the next Medal of Honor VR exclusive
VR-related subreddits show consistent user growth
Hardware sales show consistent growth

Just because your grandmother doesn't own yet doesn't mean it's dead. VR needs more killer apps for sure, Beat Saber can only carry the market so far, which is why we're seeing multiple AAA studios developing full-length VR exclusive titles. Comparing any of this to Stadia is incredibly far-fetched.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
That's a super sad list if you were attempting to convince us that consumer VR isn't pretty much dead. As long as Occulus needs to pay developers to develop VR minigames like Medal of Honor (a dead franchise), it's obviously not a market that has taken off in any way. AAA studios aren't itching to develop VR-exclusive games at all.

Even Playstation VR, the most successful VR headset by far, was specifically pointed out as a problem area for Sony in past earnings reports. Hardware sales are very tepid throughout.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
The Valve thing seems honestly cool because they're the only ones approaching it from a tech standpoint and not worrying about hitting a consumer friendly price point. That said, while VR might never technically be "dead' it will certainly continue to be a niche section of the gaming industry for the foreseeable future.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Also lol at using the popularity of "vr-related subreddits" as a bullet point. Christ man.

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

nightwisher posted:

VR is definitely dead, that's why:

Valve have released a top-of-the-market headset and have multiple VR games in development
Oculus continue to pour ludicrous money into R&D with some incredibly impressive results, their latest prototype looks like a pair of ski goggles, as opposed to a full-on headset
Respawn is making the next Medal of Honor VR exclusive
VR-related subreddits show consistent user growth
Hardware sales show consistent growth

Just because your grandmother doesn't own yet doesn't mean it's dead. VR needs more killer apps for sure, Beat Saber can only carry the market so far, which is why we're seeing multiple AAA studios developing full-length VR exclusive titles. Comparing any of this to Stadia is incredibly far-fetched.

VR isn't dead because it's not even alive yet. Very few people know what a Quest or a Vive is compared to the legions of Xbox and PlayStation owners.

That being said, VR would go hand-in-hand with Stadia since body movement is at a much lower speed than mouse/controller, and beefy servers are much cheaper for consumers than a hardcore gaming rig required for quality VR.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Tetrabor posted:

VR isn't dead because it's not even alive yet. Very few people know what a Quest or a Vive is compared to the legions of Xbox and PlayStation owners.

That being said, VR would go hand-in-hand with Stadia since body movement is at a much lower speed than mouse/controller, and beefy servers are much cheaper for consumers than a hardcore gaming rig required for quality VR.

That's a good point, and it's a good thing that Google has an already developed platform for VR experiences that they could easily integrate into their Stadia platform to make that kind of integration smoother and more accessible to the consumer.

Oh, wait...

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Tetrabor posted:

The real problem is input latency, which VR is much more sensitive to and why Stadia isn't well-suited to VR at all.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice

Tetrabor posted:

VR and game streaming is a crazy combination. You need a higher framerate and very low latency or it's going to be a sickening experience every time you move your head. Lag that's "noticeable but fine" for button presses isn't good enough.

Edit: wait, didn't Microsoft talk about remote rendering for Hololens so you could view higher-quality models than the headset could create? And there are wireless VR headsets, or at least the option. But a local server isn't the same as a trip across the internet.

uvar fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Oct 17, 2019

Barudak
May 7, 2007

In general I do not trust Googles dedication to any project that isnt advertising based. Can they totally surprise me? Yes. Am I convinced on the current offering? No.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

Super Jay Mann posted:

That's a good point, and it's a good thing that Google has an already developed platform for VR experiences that they could easily integrate into their Stadia platform to make that kind of integration smoother and more accessible to the consumer.

Oh, wait...

Yeah but cardboard was half assed from the get go and had nowhere to go from there. It's probably one of the worst examples of VR I can think of and it never had much potential. And as stated by others already, any amount of latency in VR completely kills it, so it would never have been an option in the first place.

American McGay posted:

Also lol at using the popularity of "vr-related subreddits" as a bullet point. Christ man.

There's not many other metrics to judge community growth ouside sales numbers for games and headsets (which are almost always never quantified) so that's just something I've been able to see history on. Blah blah blah astroturfing sockpuppets with paid posts etc, it's better than nothing at all to go on.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Cardboard still exists in a weird lurching undead ish state, its DayDream, the sequel, that got killed.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Oct 17, 2019

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."

Richard M Nixon posted:

Look at me not reading the thread before posting.

I was pretty surprised when I realized what the point of stadia was, which is where my excitement comes from. I'm sure a lot of Google's audience saw the same thing I did and just wrote it off as another form of console.

I'm sure taking advantage of could gaming needs more than just a port and setting the graphics to 11. It definitely would need a AAA developer to spend the half billion dollars or whatever to actually fund a game. Will that ever happen? Who knows. Probably not, but I'd like to imagine that it's possible. Maybe we'll see a new contender like Netflix try and enter the market. Maybe Google will have some really great strategic partnerships. Maybe this is the idea that fails but it inspires Microsoft or whoever to try harder and their idea takes off.

I totally did blow the :10bux: because I want to vote with my dollars. It's a great concept, and I haven't seen a lot of discussion on that point. Maybe this implantation won't go well due to latency issues or lackluster hardware, but I still say that the idea is solid. We always hear about games being made for the lowest possible pc system or how a cross platform game has more limitations because it accommodated for a lesser console.

Building a game from the ground up that's meant for a system that would have cost a person $30k but instead is subsidized by subscriptions is pretty badass. Never worrying about system requirements and being able to essentially forcibly upgrade everyone's hardware simultaneously and at will is a very neat thing.

I won't be as sensationalist as saying it's as huge a development as the first gen 3d consoles, but I can absolutely see the first truly made for stadia game that takes advantage of limitless processing power being called the Super Mario 64 of cloud gaming.

Or maybe it'll fail and go onto the pile of Google tech that is now expensive plastic. I'd rather not lose my sense of wonder and hope quite yet. Let's save that until next month.

why pre-order now and not when this mind blowing Stadia exclusive game comes out. Voting for something that might happen is just lol

Like google gives a flying gently caress.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Google has no in house game development staff, so youre also hoping that a) a dev creates this for google and b) such a game does not come to PSNow or xCloud services.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I thought they created their own studio and put the gamer gate girl in charge of it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

American McGay posted:

I thought they created their own studio and put the gamer gate girl in charge of it.

I had to look it up and its Jade Redmond, no relation to gamergate other than being a woman gamers were loving weird as hell about, heading it up and it wasnt launched until Mar 2019 which means you can expect its first exclusive somewhere between 2022 and 2024.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

Barudak posted:

Cardboard still exists in a weird lurching undead ish state, its DayDream, the sequel, that got killed.

Whoops, got them mixed up. Blows my mind that cardboard still exists when DayDream got the axe, but hey this is google.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

nightwisher posted:

Whoops, got them mixed up. Blows my mind that cardboard still exists when DayDream got the axe, but hey this is google.

Some internal struggle must have happened with Google because from what I gathered after launching their DayDream headset and tech they didnt release any examples, way to share your applications built using it, or really support it or mandate compatability with it be incorporated to all phones like cardboard.

Like if you followed Googles support in the weeks after launch you knew it was sent to die, but nobody is sure why.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
https://twitter.com/verge/status/1184629465109991424

Sure, the xCloud demo lets you use good old Xbox controllers over Bluetooth, but a few feet of cable connecting the phone and controller while I'm playing on the bus is just as convenient!

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
:laugh::holy::derp::cawg:

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
Jesus christ google

there's no face and palm big enough to encapsulate this shitshow

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
VR owns, I have PSVR and really, Astrobot gave me that “wow” feeling that I haven’t had in so much time, kinda like playing Mario 64 for the first time after the SNES. And the PS hardware suck a lot.

I have great hopes for the tech.

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

ZZZorcerer posted:

VR owns, I have PSVR and really, Astrobot gave me that “wow” feeling that I haven’t had in so much time, kinda like playing Mario 64 for the first time after the SNES. And the PS hardware suck a lot.

I have great hopes for the tech.

Coincidentally, you can play Mario 64 in VR with an Oculus.

Which is probably more entertaining than Stadia will ever be.

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much

American McGay posted:

Current VR technology is pretty good for museums to give short experiences that otherwise would be impossible to do, such as sit in Apollo 11 as it launches.

To be used for gaming at home, ehhh not so much, the only really decent VR game is what, Beat Saber? Not really worth spending hundreds of dollars on.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Oh thats not that terrible, the primary use case for people who spend 130 dollars for this not a console console still get wireless play

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

“the Verge” posted:

Google is probably banking on the fact that it’s already much more common to plug things into our laptops, desktops, or phones, since they are usually just a few feet away from us anyway.

The entire trajectory of the past few years has been away from me plugging things in to my phone.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
I keep reading these articles and trying to get my head around a mental model for how Stadia works. I had understood that the controller was the console, effectively. It had its own WiFi connection and then you logged in to a client on whatever machine to see the results of your gameplay streamed on that screen. But if the controller only connects to the Chromecast wirelessly, and for the other clients it connects as a standard wired controller then what on earth is going on?

Like, this explanation makes no sense. https://www.engadget.com/2019/10/17/google-stadia-controller-wireless-limited/

“Engadget” posted:

Since the Stadia controller only uses Bluetooth for setup and connects via WiFi for gameplay, you truly can't use it without a cable at first.

And the post from the customer service person seems to open the door to the controller not working at all.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Stadia/comments/di92bp/damn_you_small_prints_there_seem_to_be_some/f3u7loq/

“community rep” posted:

When plugged in via USB cable, the Stadia Controller acts as a standard USB HID controller and may work on other platforms depending on the game and setup.

What on earth are founders paying $130 for? If any HID controller can drive the clients on laptop etc.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I believe the marketing team thought up the whole "it doesn't connect to your device, it connects to your WiFi and communicates directly with our servers!" as a fancy and impressive way to tackle both the latency concerns and the ease of use (switching between devices) and just decided to roll with it without really consulting their engineering team and they're just now realizing that it's really hard to get it to work that way.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

doingitwrong posted:

I keep reading these articles and trying to get my head around a mental model for how Stadia works. I had understood that the controller was the console, effectively. It had its own WiFi connection and then you logged in to a client on whatever machine to see the results of your gameplay streamed on that screen. But if the controller only connects to the Chromecast wirelessly, and for the other clients it connects as a standard wired controller then what on earth is going on?

Like, this explanation makes no sense. https://www.engadget.com/2019/10/17/google-stadia-controller-wireless-limited/

And the post from the customer service person seems to open the door to the controller not working at all.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Stadia/comments/di92bp/damn_you_small_prints_there_seem_to_be_some/f3u7loq/

What on earth are founders paying $130 for? If any HID controller can drive the clients on laptop etc.

The controller isn't the console. My understanding is that the controller connects to the Google servers directly via WiFi. Maybe the pairing of a controller to the user can only be done with a Chromecast for now?

Stadia on other devices can be used with any controller, and even mouse/keyboard. The Stadia controller is probably capable of acting like a regular wired controller as well.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The controller isnt the console. Theoretically your account is the console and pairing the controller to your account over the internet is what hooks that together. The issue, of course, is that at launch until ??? In 2020 you have to have the controller and the HD chromecast, so it effectively is a console.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
If the controller connects direct via wifi why does it need wires. Maybe I don’t understand what either “connect directly” or “wifi” means. Or maybe this has all been marketing bullshit.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

doingitwrong posted:

They are paying to beta-test a new product for Google.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

doingitwrong posted:

If the controller connects direct via wifi why does it need wires. Maybe I don’t understand what either “connect directly” or “wifi” means. Or maybe this has all been marketing bullshit.

My understanding was the controller should connect through the internet and then wherever you are accessing your account, be it chromecast, chrome, mobile phone it just works since it doesnt care what hardware youre viewing the game through. The issue is, while I understand needing a cord for power/setup the first time/using it for non-stadia gaming, for some reason this doesn't seem to actually be how it works since youll need a cord for phone and computer.

That said its also possible the reason it needs that cord right now is because Stadia in 2019 isnt launching on any other device but the chromecast, so its not fully ready for those other devices.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Richard M Nixon posted:

Presumably the bulk would come from fees charged to the developer and publisher (I'm assuming that you have to pay Microsoft to make an Xbox game, etc) as well as any cuts that come from selling games in the stadia store. I'm sure that if they are launching a free service, there's a plan for turning stadia into a profit center that relies on something other than people buying controllers.

I’m not sure why one would assume Google, a company that has not made a truly successful business out of anything but selling ads on web search, has a good plan for turning a profit on this service. If you start trying to think through the ways in which they might logically attempt to generate more revenue off a “free” tier, you'll realize why so many people are suspicious of Stadia's business model, irrespective of how well their tech works.

Google is not going to charge developers any significant licensing fees; if anything, they're going to pay developers to try and entice them to develop for Stadia, at least initially. The only significant revenue they're going to get on the “free” tier, for now, is their cut of the games sales - which is not going to be significantly different from the cut that MS, Sony, Valve, Epic, and all the other digital distributors get, because charging more would scare developers off.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

quote:

Google tells us it’s focusing on getting wireless play right on TV first, because it wants that big screen experience to be as good as possible.
What?

How is the way a controller connects in any way related to screen size?

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Combat Pretzel posted:

What?

How is the way a controller connects in any way related to screen size?
If you say you're "making it perfect" people will accept the bullshit broken promises as normal and still give you a bunch of money, then they'll double down because they already committed and for some reason everyone's goddamn terrified of saying "yeah i got suckered, oh well."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
RIP John McCain feel better xoxo 💋 🙏
Taco Defender
I kinda wonder what the gpus will be used for in off-peak hours. Are they any good for offline machine learning workloads? Render farms?