Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Did the Barzam song get taken off of YouTube? I can't find it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
That gundam has dragon store at the mall vibes.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Arcsquad12 posted:

Did the Barzam song get taken off of YouTube? I can't find it.

It's unlisted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIdfonmaKgc

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
I just finished Z Gundam, and yeah, it... just kind ends. Ok, I guess it's over now. Huh.

This is like my 5th Gundam series watched to completion, so I figured I should finally go back and watch this one, and now that's done. Huh.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
It just kind of ends because Zeta was only part I of the story, with ZZ picking up (almost) immediately afterward and continuing the threads that Zeta didn't finish. There's a massive shift in tone, as well as a largely new cast and a lot of people are not fans of the result, but it does continue it regardless and that was always the intention. ZZ started airing the week after Zeta finished, and was ever referred to as "Zeta Part II" in the original plans according to data books.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

tsob posted:

It just kind of ends because Zeta was only part I of the story, with ZZ picking up (almost) immediately afterward and continuing the threads that Zeta didn't finish. There's a massive shift in tone, as well as a largely new cast and a lot of people are not fans of the result, but it does continue it regardless and that was always the intention. ZZ started airing the week after Zeta finished, and was ever referred to as "Zeta Part II" in the original plans according to data books.

I'm currently watching ZZ (about 3/4 of the way through, just got to the colony drop and after the initial set of episodes with some broad comedy (the really unpopular bits, I didn't hate it mostly but the later stuff is better) it starts getting intense again and I've been enjoying it more than Zeta so far in that stretch. It is very defined by the differences between its main cast and the Zeta one, though, and that feels like an intentional point.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I've never been more excited for a gimmick than I am to see the WaDom transform

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

The third episode of ReRise is out and I'm actually starting to enjoy it. Only three episodes in and Hiroto and Par are trying to grow as characters, and even Kazami's arc of realizing this world is real is already being set up. It's neat how they integrate elements from the usual Gundam shows in here, like how there's a Frau, Letz, Katz and Kikka analogue with Maiya and the kids. It also looks like they're using this isekai setting to tackle how war is bad and how it affects civilians. I look forward to the Char of the show being a masked dog or cat person. :v:

The team battle was pretty great! It's like they actually learned from their mistakes in Try and Divers. The team utilized actual strategy! They all had roles to play! They covered each other's backs! My favorite part has to be Hiroto telling the others to let the enemies through. I thought it was leading up to Hiroto busting out the Mars Armor, but no, he actually relied on his skills to beat all four enemies. If the writers can keep up this quality for the team battles in future episodes then I think this might end up being a pretty solid show.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

tsob posted:

I never realized they were so closely connected for some reason.

How many ZZ episodes should I stay drunk through until it gets up to speed?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Early ZZ is good. it's just a bit of a shock going from the end of Zeta to chicken antics

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Pneub posted:

Episode 18 is where Haman shows up. Episode 20-21, the 'Tearful Cecilia' two-parter, is where poo poo gets real. The goofy comedy we get before that is pretty charming, though.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Darth Walrus posted:

Episode 18 is where Haman shows up. Episode 20-21, the 'Tearful Cecilia' two-parter, is where poo poo gets real. The goofy comedy we get before that is pretty charming, though.

To be fair 20 episodes is a long time

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

IMHO, the best sign of how much you'll enjoy the early ZZ stuff is how funny you find Mashymyre (I usually do.) My only real problem with early ZZ is how it carries on Zeta's tradition of treating Fa badly, which it's at least better so far with other protagonist female pilots later on. (Emphasis on so far, I haven't finished it yet.)

Also prepare for ridiculous 80's fashion. There's also the Moon Moon arc, which is mostly enjoyable in how completely absurd it is to have a Star Trek The Original Series episode going on in Gundam, plus a few good character beats.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

amigolupus posted:

The third episode of ReRise is out and I'm actually starting to enjoy it. Only three episodes in and Hiroto and Par are trying to grow as characters, and even Kazami's arc of realizing this world is real is already being set up. It's neat how they integrate elements from the usual Gundam shows in here, like how there's a Frau, Letz, Katz and Kikka analogue with Maiya and the kids. It also looks like they're using this isekai setting to tackle how war is bad and how it affects civilians. I look forward to the Char of the show being a masked dog or cat person. :v:

The team battle was pretty great! It's like they actually learned from their mistakes in Try and Divers. The team utilized actual strategy! They all had roles to play! They covered each other's backs! My favorite part has to be Hiroto telling the others to let the enemies through. I thought it was leading up to Hiroto busting out the Mars Armor, but no, he actually relied on his skills to beat all four enemies. If the writers can keep up this quality for the team battles in future episodes then I think this might end up being a pretty solid show.

It's just weird to me that only Hiroto gets to have a Gundam that can swap out parts and whatnot on the fly.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Solkanar512 posted:

It's just weird to me that only Hiroto gets to have a Gundam that can swap out parts and whatnot on the fly.

At least they demonstrate that he's an experienced veteran with the connections, game knowledge, and engineering smarts to pull off that sort of build. The rest of his team may have their own talents, but they're relative rookies who haven't got into the seriously advanced poo poo yet.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Gripweed posted:

Early ZZ is good. it's just a bit of a shock going from the end of Zeta to chicken antics

A common piece of advice is to take a small break between the end of Zeta and the start of ZZ, because the two are very different in tone. Intentionally so, but it's still a bit of a shock to have such a sudden change. A week or two like the show took between episodes due to scheduling (and the inclusion of a recap episode between the end of Zeta and start of ZZ) is probably long enough for most people.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Pneub posted:

gourdcaptain posted:

IMHO, the best sign of how much you'll enjoy the early ZZ stuff is how funny you find Mashymyre (I usually do.) My only real problem with early ZZ is how it carries on Zeta's tradition of treating Fa badly, which it's at least better so far with other protagonist female pilots later on. (Emphasis on so far, I haven't finished it yet.)

Also prepare for ridiculous 80's fashion. There's also the Moon Moon arc, which is mostly enjoyable in how completely absurd it is to have a Star Trek The Original Series episode going on in Gundam, plus a few good character beats.

If you didn't read the spoilers, sober up at Moon Moon is the method I took.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Warmachine posted:

I cannot take people who can't enjoy Captain Bright vs the Spaze Aztecs seriously.

Erd
Jun 6, 2011

Warmachine posted:

"Comedy" is peppered throughout. Just before the final battle there is wacky cross dressing hijinx. And the constant 'Glemy stares at naked child' scenes are worse than any of that.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Erd posted:

"Comedy" is peppered throughout. Just before the final battle there is wacky cross dressing hijinx. And the constant 'Glemy stares at naked child' scenes are worse than any of that.

Glemmy Toto is pretty much universally agreed to be the worst.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Erd posted:

Tigerbaum is a deliberate throwback to the old, zany antics of before, and it's there for a specific reason. Putting this in spoiler tags for Gourd The entire point of that arc is that you can't go back anymore. It literally kicks off with the Moon Moon girl telling Haman, you've got a choice to make soon, because at that moment Haman was just another refugee on the Nahel Argama, so, she had the choice to just... disappear, leave the war behind, she'd already been betrayed, she knew she wasn't going to win, hell she even knew Judau would protect her, because absolutely would. So she could just leave, things could go back to the way they were, and hey, this colony we've gone too, these kids are just as zany and crazy and dumb as the Gundam Team was back on Shangri-La, it's old antics again and silly and fun and oh the girl died... yeah... turns out you can't go back anymore. We're stuck on the paths we've chosen. Haman can't just quit, Judau can never go back to just being a junker, Beecha and Mondo can't go back to their antics, no one can anymore, even when or if the battle is over we're never going to be who we were, those people are gone.

It is a very deliberately set up arc for a very specific story reason and it works because it does manage to convince you just for a little bit, that things might be okay.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

ZZ Ep 37: Captain Beecha Oleg. You've intrigued me show, this is either the best or worst thing depending on how this plays out.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

gourdcaptain posted:

ZZ Ep 37: Captain Beecha Oleg. You've intrigued me show, this is either the best or worst thing depending on how this plays out.

I'm still mad we never get that in SRW.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

MonsieurChoc posted:

I'm still mad we never get that in SRW.

Yeah only time they even mention it AFAIK is in one of the DLC stages for V which doesn't do much with it

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I kind of like Beecha because a lot of the poo poo he does are things early-Zeta Kamille had also done. They both hijacked mobile suits out of spite, they both used mobile suits to terrorize MPs that gave them poo poo, and they both picked a fight with Wong Lee and got their poo poo kicked in. It's like Kamille never left. :v:

Elle and Roux are still my favorite of the ZZ kids though.

gourdcaptain posted:

Also prepare for ridiculous 80's fashion.

Their outfits during the desert arc were the most ridiculous. :allears: The winner has to be Mondo with his mustard-yellow sleeveless shirt, green short shorts with suspenders and bright red bowtie.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

I will admit my reaction to as they left for orbit Sayla suddenly showing up out of nowhere for a brief silent clip with a surprise alive Leina was to immediately think of this:

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

gourdcaptain posted:

I will admit my reaction to as they left for orbit Sayla suddenly showing up out of nowhere for a brief silent clip with a surprise alive Leina was to immediately think of this:

So Sayla is a weird case, because they intended to use her even in Zeta, but her VA was on safari I believe so they replaced her for Beltorchika, then they basically had an entirely separate anime planned for Double Zeta, before they'd even finished Zeta, like no mistaking they had an idea in mind, but there are parts of the pitch that just don't line up at all.

So they probably brought her back thinking "Okay we'll do something now" and again just... didn't.

https://pastebin.com/0SkxGTUt

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Zore posted:

Yeah only time they even mention it AFAIK is in one of the DLC stages for V which doesn't do much with it

The DLC stage is basically all about it. It has Beecha take over the ship again when everyone else with command experience is unavailable.

His complete lack of training meant that his opponents were baffled and unable to counter his half-assed, absurd strategies.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Okay, Build Divers: ReRise is absolutely a stealth Isekai.

Solkanar512 posted:

Designing something like that is a complex thing in of itself, because you'd have to mentally plan out how and where everything will attach to. Along with the delivery system and the part sets themselves. It's a good mark of his skills as a Gunpla builder to set him apart from the others.

Gripweed posted:

I've never been more excited for a gimmick than I am to see the WaDom transform

Do you mean the "No, it's a two-eyes" line?

I think it just refers to the bifurcated eyepiece, because Gunpla that can transform always have physical tells in the design. They have to, simply because they gotta be able to exist and transform as physical kits, and there's nothing extraneous in the WaDOM Pod's design.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

As someone who's not really interested in the Nuild Fighters stuff, I'm still excited to see the WaDom design get some love. (Turn A is also my fav Gundam series, but I think the designs in it are great if nonstandard and my fav Gundam mech design ever is the Turn X.)

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Do you mean the "No, it's a two-eyes" line?

I think it just refers to the bifurcated eyepiece, because Gunpla that can transform always have physical tells in the design. They have to, simply because they gotta be able to exist and transform as physical kits, and there's nothing extraneous in the WaDOM Pod's design.

I think if it was reference to the bifurcated eyepiece, she would've indicated the eyepiece in some way, we would've gotten a close up of it to establish that was what she meant, and then an amusing reaction from the kids at that lame excuse. But instead it's just a cryptic line that ends the scene.

And there is a tell, not in the design but in the show. Their plan was to funnel all the bad guys into a narrow canyon. If the WaDom Pod was a standard WaDom, you know what would've been really useful there?

The giant beam cannon inside it's head. But they didn't use that, and I think it's because it's not there. It's called the WaDom "Pod", there's no beam cannon in the head, it's because the head is a pod, there's something in the head, it's gonna come out at a dramatic moment like Nadleeh coming out of the Virtue.

We also haven't seen the Gunpla, maybe there'll be visible hinges on it that aren't supposed to be visible in the design. That's why they haven't shown the Gunpla, they want the transformation to be a surprise. unlike with the Valkylander, which has a transformation so obvious there's no point in trying to hide it.

I'm as confident about this as I was about the outcome of the 2016 election, but this time I'm right.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I've always been a fan of the transforming suits. I blame watching Robotech before Gundam Wing :v:

(Which is why I'm sad I can't find a ReZEL model but that's for a different thread)

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
"Two-eyes" is just what the furries call good guy gunpla. The WaDom Pod is mono-eye, so the kids thought it was a one-eye (what they call the bad guy gunpla). I don't think there's some deep secret here, she was just going "no, despite being mono-eye this is not an evil monster robot."

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lemon-Lime posted:

"Two-eyes" is just what the furries call good guy gunpla. The WaDom Pod is mono-eye, so the kids thought it was a one-eye (what they call the bad guy gunpla). I don't think there's some deep secret here, she was just going "no, despite being mono-eye this is not an evil monster robot."

Yeah, that was basically my take on it too.

Gripweed posted:

I think if it was reference to the bifurcated eyepiece, she would've indicated the eyepiece in some way, we would've gotten a close up of it to establish that was what she meant, and then an amusing reaction from the kids at that lame excuse. But instead it's just a cryptic line that ends the scene.

And there is a tell, not in the design but in the show. Their plan was to funnel all the bad guys into a narrow canyon. If the WaDom Pod was a standard WaDom, you know what would've been really useful there?

The giant beam cannon inside it's head. But they didn't use that, and I think it's because it's not there. It's called the WaDom "Pod", there's no beam cannon in the head, it's because the head is a pod, there's something in the head, it's gonna come out at a dramatic moment like Nadleeh coming out of the Virtue.

We also haven't seen the Gunpla, maybe there'll be visible hinges on it that aren't supposed to be visible in the design. That's why they haven't shown the Gunpla, they want the transformation to be a surprise. unlike with the Valkylander, which has a transformation so obvious there's no point in trying to hide it.

I'm as confident about this as I was about the outcome of the 2016 election, but this time I'm right.

The beam cannon's not missing, it's moved to the right arm. And it's been used a lot. If you compare it to the original design, it was probably so the drat thing has a decent field of fire. The rest of the changes are external armor over the weapons and head to reinforce it as what's functionally a walking tank.

The reason they most likely haven't shown the kit off yet is because it's not a standard model by any stretch and they've gotta design it from scratch.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Gundam Re Rise has some potential, but I want some more characterization for May other than "quiet lady" and I hope the antagonist won't be complete rear end, because doing nothing but fighting silent grunts will be lame.

Still though, it's not too bad. A big step up from divers. Having a different writer seems to have done a lot for the show.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Onmi posted:

So Sayla is a weird case, because they intended to use her even in Zeta, but her VA was on safari I believe so they replaced her for Beltorchika, then they basically had an entirely separate anime planned for Double Zeta, before they'd even finished Zeta, like no mistaking they had an idea in mind, but there are parts of the pitch that just don't line up at all.

So they probably brought her back thinking "Okay we'll do something now" and again just... didn't.

https://pastebin.com/0SkxGTUt

Is this the fabled original plan for Char prior to CCA getting greenlit? The one even Tomino says he can’t remember?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

HitTheTargets posted:

Is this the fabled original plan for Char prior to CCA getting greenlit? The one even Tomino says he can’t remember?

Apparently, like the link says it comes from a japanese book from 1991 which contained the original pitch for "Zeta Gundam Part 2".

https://twitter.com/TomAznable/status/955586425612840960

Seems confirmable

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Monaghan posted:

Gundam Re Rise has some potential, but I want some more characterization for May other than "quiet lady" and I hope the antagonist won't be complete rear end, because doing nothing but fighting silent grunts will be lame.

Still though, it's not too bad. A big step up from divers. Having a different writer seems to have done a lot for the show.

She's had some moments so far and has clearly picked up the same odd details Hiroto has about the "Story Mission". The only real difference between them is the show's perspective follows Hiroto rather than May.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Neddy Seagoon posted:

She's had some moments so far and has clearly picked up the same odd details Hiroto has about the "Story Mission". The only real difference between them is the show's perspective follows Hiroto rather than May.

The thing that's stopping me from really getting into Re Rise, which I hope will be resolved soon, is that right now the characters are functioning as a team but they aren't friends. It's a party put together by the Duty Finder. I assume that as they continue to work together they'll become friends, Hiroto will reveal his past, and May will come out of her shellpod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Gripweed posted:

The thing that's stopping me from really getting into Re Rise, which I hope will be resolved soon, is that right now the characters are functioning as a team but they aren't friends. It's a party put together by the Duty Finder. I assume that as they continue to work together they'll become friends, Hiroto will reveal his past, and May will come out of her shellpod.

I think that's what is appealing to me right now. It's dealing with the "how do you actually smash a group of randos who don't know each other together and get them to work as a cohesive team, and more importantly deal with each others' weaknesses."