Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

OscarDiggs posted:

I dunno why but the idea of setting up to fail deliberately makes my teeth itch.

Setting up to deliberately fail and simply NOT hacking your character to have perfect stats in everything aren't exactly the same thing

Just play the game by the rules how it was designed, and then you can play it as optimally as you choose. Just... don't cheat. Is that so hard and weird?

Cheating ruining a game isn't exactly a new concept.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I remade my character and now I appear to be locked into my starting hotel room. I've interacted with everything but the door won't open. What am I missing?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

oscarthewilde posted:

i'm not so sure. the depiction of the protagonist and its implication on the gameplay are unique and very impressive, but they're also very difficult and time intensive to write. this was a labour of love that took 5 years to write, obsidian might take some hints from Disco Elysium, but i'm not sure if they'll ever be in the position to properly take these lessons to heart. we might never see something quite like this again

Oh we'll surely see the many many sequels made with the huge pile of money the devs will make from this game. :ohdear:

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

drug quest how do i get in the lorry? none of the lorry drivers i find can help me with it, i know what the right one is, but i have only 2 options itneracting and none open it

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I'm running a INT 4/MOT 4 cop with 2 in both FYS and PYS, signature in Perception. I can persuade the bookseller to let me investigate a curse, but is there anything I can do there with my stats in Spooky Mysterious poo poo so low? I passed through the curtain, but I found nothing of interest in that next area.

Another question: If you spend a skill point to remove a Thought, does that create an empty space in your Thought Cabinet, or do you completely lose the slot and need to spend a skill point to unlock a fresh slot?

Harrow posted:

I remade my character and now I appear to be locked into my starting hotel room. I've interacted with everything but the door won't open. What am I missing?

Known bug. I think you need to entirely quit the game and restart it before you can properly start a new, non-bugged game.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i figured out the basement for others having problems with the door its timed, i went back to evrart and he told me i hosed up and waited too long

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

When's the book coming out in English?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
As someone who's currently doing a perfect stats run, I have to say that as effective as you are in checks, it's a real time-consumer of both real and ingame time. It's definitely something to do on a later run, since you're going to have to prioritize quests what you want to do, since you'll have whole ingame hours taken up by the voices in your head all chiming in here and there.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

theblackw0lf posted:

I honestly think Disco Elysium is one of those games that in a few years we will look back and realize it had a profound influence on the evolution of RPGs. Like a System Shock or Ultima Underworld before it. Games that weren't necessarily blockbusters sales wise, but developers played, went "holy poo poo" and embraced the innovative gameplay ideas.

I'm sure Obsidian is playing this right now thinking "holy poo poo why didn't we think of some of this stuff, and how can we incorporate it into our next game"?

I truly hope every major RPG studio has its designers playing this game

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
So just got my first game over screen after I died because I turned on a light while hungover and then tried to lift a barbell a few hours later

Game rules

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Davincie posted:

i figured out the basement for others having problems with the door its timed, i went back to evrart and he told me i hosed up and waited too long

So that means because I changed my mind on a later day to cooperate with Evrart, the quest autofailed? That's kind of dumb.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Davincie posted:

drug quest how do i get in the lorry? none of the lorry drivers i find can help me with it, i know what the right one is, but i have only 2 options itneracting and none open it

I just interacted with the cab and it gave me the option to bust the window its possible you can't progress in that before progressing in the murder investigation though

Basileus777
Jun 13, 2013

Davincie posted:

The lorry driver closest to the hostel will give you the key if you pressure him enough.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Is there any point in making my signature skill in a stat that is fairly low? I think I want my signature skill to be Shivers but I'm more interested in Int/Psy/Mot skills than I am in the other Fys ones. Should I pick something else and just put a lot of skill points into Shivers?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Einwand posted:

So that means because I changed my mind on a later day to cooperate with Evrart, the quest autofailed? That's kind of dumb.

highly possible

Basileus777 posted:

The lorry driver closest to the hostel will give you the key if you pressure him enough.

that option disappeared for me once i found out the identity of the person im looking for by another way

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Harrow posted:

Is there any point in making my signature skill in a stat that is fairly low? I think I want my signature skill to be Shivers but I'm more interested in Int/Psy/Mot skills than I am in the other Fys ones. Should I pick something else and just put a lot of skill points into Shivers?

You probably can't do that because stats cap the amount of skill points you can put into things.

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I'm running a INT 4/MOT 4 cop with 2 in both FYS and PYS, signature in Perception. I can persuade the bookseller to let me investigate a curse, but is there anything I can do there with my stats in Spooky Mysterious poo poo so low? I passed through the curtain, but I found nothing of interest in that next area.

Another question: If you spend a skill point to remove a Thought, does that create an empty space in your Thought Cabinet, or do you completely lose the slot and need to spend a skill point to unlock a fresh slot?
Haven't tried removing a thought yet, but p.sure it creates an empty space.

Re. curtains - obvious question, but you have a flashlight equipped, right? Can't think of what else would prevent you finding anything of interest, as your perception should be high enough with that 4 in MOT. How far could you go? Did you open the door further behind the curtains?

EdithUpwards posted:

When's the book coming out in English?

Some time next year.

Hub Cat posted:

You probably can't do that because stats cap the amount of skill points you can put into things.

True, but some thoughts increase caps for specific skills, including one for Shivers very early in the game. Namely, it's Hobocop.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Hub Cat posted:

I just interacted with the cab and it gave me the option to bust the window its possible you can't progress in that before progressing in the murder investigation though

was that linked to a certain skill? im not getting the option and im pretty far to what i believe is a point of no return

Urthor
Jul 28, 2014

theblackw0lf posted:

I honestly think Disco Elysium is one of those games that in a few years we will look back and realize it had a profound influence on the evolution of RPGs. Like a System Shock or Ultima Underworld before it. Games that weren't necessarily blockbusters sales wise, but developers played, went "holy poo poo" and embraced the innovative gameplay ideas.

I'm sure Obsidian is playing this right now thinking "holy poo poo why didn't we think of some of this stuff, and how can we incorporate it into our next game"?

I'm sure it's a game we'll look back on and say is absolutely amazing, but console players bought zero copies because none of them like reading text on a television, and all the money went to free to play mobile games.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Hub Cat posted:

Ah poo poo, okay. So if I want decent Shivers I have to go in on Physique?

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Davincie posted:

was that linked to a certain skill? im not getting the option and im pretty far to what i believe is a point of no return

You're checking the green truck at the bottom right?

Harrow posted:

Ah poo poo, okay. So if I want decent Shivers I have to go in on Physique?
Shivers shows up a lot on clothes and in some thought cabinet things so it depends on how "pure" you need your shivers to be

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Hub Cat posted:

You're checking the green truck at the bottom right?

Shivers shows up a lot on clothes and in some thought cabinet things so it depends on how "pure" you need your shivers to be

this one right?

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
I really hope this game makes all the moneys. It deserves every bit of the Planescape hype it's gotten and hopefully the adoring reviews will push it out to a broader audience.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Davincie posted:

this one right?

Yeah that is it not sure if you're having a bug or you need to lean on the drivers a little more. Try hassling the racist driver or the guy near the bottom across from the pawn shop if you haven't

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
where's the pawn shop located? money's getting a bit tight

Captain Billy Pissboy
Oct 25, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Oxxidation posted:

where's the pawn shop located? money's getting a bit tight

Head south from the Whirling in Rags down the main street. It'll be on the left before you reach the canal

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Hub Cat posted:

Yeah that is it not sure if you're having a bug or you need to lean on the drivers a little more. Try hassling the racist driver or the guy near the bottom across from the pawn shop if you haven't

done it all, simply bugged out i suppose then

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

so I am going to give you "WHAT ABOUT MY STATS" people some answers:

Is there a recommended stat distribution? Any optimal builds?

Short answer: no

Long answer: this isn't that type of game. Years upon years of RPG convention and systemic disgraceful design has, understandably, created huge concerns about "best experience" of a large game, but this one is bliss. There isn't any "optimal build" because there is no "optimal path" to do poo poo. Failing checks are supposed to happen and the entire game structure is built to accommodate and for you to fail. Here lies one of the absolute strengths of the game, and worrying about not failing will only hinder your enjoyment.

But I want to tweak myself into awesomeness anyway

Suit yourself. Unfortunately, this is the surefire way that you will get to miss content, and plenty of it is extremely good.

b--b-b-b-but FAILED CHECKS

Listen. This is a very literary game with a lot of philosophical flair about situations in life, and of course, in life, you don't get to be awesome at everything and even if you are, poo poo will happen anyway. Why worry? Enjoy yourself, get your guy to run naked and talk to people and see what inanity ensues. Again, this is not that type of RPG.

I am plagued by choice paralysis during my character build, please help?

The archetypes at new game are all very specialized and pretty good at getting you moving. Some of us have posted some templates trying to put some famous detective in the shoes of the player character. The best suggestion I can offer, though, is to approach the creation as "what sort of interesting character I can come up with?" instead of stat allocation against Fear of Missing Out.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
aces high disappeared, i didnt forget it (hadnt internalized it). or can you only have three of those?

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
Has anyone that's hit a softlock during the field autopsy (very minor spoiler) have a workaround? I'm too attached to my lovely cop to start over.

e: Figured it out. Don't select the option about you injuring the body.

Spiggy fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Oct 18, 2019

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

dead gay comedy forums posted:

The archetypes at new game are all very specialized and pretty good at getting you moving. Some of us have posted some templates trying to put some famous detective in the shoes of the player character. The best suggestion I can offer, though, is to approach the creation as "what sort of interesting character I can come up with?" instead of stat allocation against Fear of Missing Out.

Yeah, I think I just end up getting hung up on not being able to decide what kind of experience I want, since I know any build is going to miss out on things. It's not even so much min/maxing as "how will I have the most fun"

Mostly I'm stuck between being "the guy who notices everything and figures stuff out" and "the guy who influences people and has strong hunches."

Harrow fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Oct 18, 2019

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Captain Billy Pissboy posted:

Head south from the Whirling in Rags down the main street. It'll be on the left before you reach the canal

cheers

and while i'm pushing my luck - any idea where i can find fuel oil for the mural?

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

cheers

and while i'm pushing my luck - any idea where i can find fuel oil for the mural?
You need to cross the water lock. You can do this starting from Day 3.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

make this the thread title somehow

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Lmao that Kim just leaves you alone when you go into your little fish shack, to do tons of drugs without him having to see, the mental image of him watching you stumbling out wasted a couple minutes later holding a cigarette

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Perhaps a hamster posted:

True, but some thoughts increase caps for specific skills, including one for Shivers very early in the game. Namely, it's Hobocop.

Any clues for where to get said Thought? I'm considering going like 4/3/2/3 and making Shivers my signature, so something else that can increase the cap would be very nice.

Also does it raise the cap on anything else or just Shivers?

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Harrow posted:

Any clues for where to get said Thought? I'm considering going like 4/3/2/3 and making Shivers my signature, so something else that can increase the cap would be very nice.

Talk to the guy at the counter in the hostel

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Well I went to talk to Evrart again and he had nothing to say about failing the task, so I think there actually is a bug with that stupid basement."

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

gently caress yes I have a HAT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

Hub Cat posted:

Talk to the guy at the counter in the hostel
Yep, this. Then after the conversation you should be able to choose the relevant option. (Might need to have your partner with you throughout for option to appear, can't quite remember.)

Harrow posted:

Also does it raise the cap on anything else or just Shivers?

Just Shivers, but it also gives you more money collecting bottles, and makes more bottles to appear.