Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

the assumption is that if you have access to the hardware to the point that you can directly sniff the key material from the internal interconnects then you could have much more easily embedded a hardware keylogger and gotten it that way. they should still encrypt those communications as a matter of best practice, but its not a terribly realistic attack scenario compared to other options. probably don't even need to bother for most bitlocker installs since people don't bother with the pin/pass to release the key material from the TPM so the OS automatically boots and you can just execute some manner of RCE against that or UEFI and effectively bypass the entire drive encryption layer
With dtrace, which is in Windows now, I wouldn't be surprised if it's very easy to find the relevant bits if they're not in a separate kernel thread with encryption.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

if any bank these days has an SPF record that isn't in hardfail mode they should be banned from all forms of online banking

e: lol

bankofamerica.com text = "v=spf1 include:_newspf.bankofamerica.com include:spf-0000ec08.pphosted.com ~all"

*Extremely 90's era IT manager voice* We need to allow customers to get our emails at all costs

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Captain Foo posted:

poms over shagghdad

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-50080586

quote:

The issue was spotted by a British woman whose husband was able to unlock her phone with his thumbprint just by adding a cheap screen protector.

Unlocks with a thumbprint, just not necessarily your thumbprint

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

a friend of mine works at Pilz. they're now on holiday because every single computer in the company got cryptolockered. and all the backups also have it.

the entire company is completely halted right now, even the manufacturing control stuff is gone. their website is just a static html page.

ded

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Spatial posted:

and all the backups also have it.

what the gently caress kind of backups are these?

mystes
May 31, 2006

infernal machines posted:

what the gently caress kind of backups are these?
There are only two kinds of backups: backups that haven't actually been running for years when you check them and backups that are always just the current state of whatever you're trying to backup. This is clearly the latter.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

backup servers were either live disk arrays with snapshots or some kind of version repository backup to disk solution, and they put it all on the same domain so once a DA cred was popped it was game over for everything

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I saw one place get screwed because their "backups" were just the default VSS snapshots on the windows share. If you don't configure them, they will default to deleting old snapshots when free space gets low. Cryptolocker started doing its thing on the share, VSS helpfully purged all the snapshots to free up space for it, and by the time it was done they couldn't revert anything

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

is that some kind of start-up that sends you monthly loot boxes full of research chems or something

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

I saw one place get screwed because their "backups" were just the default VSS snapshots on the windows share. If you don't configure them, they will default to deleting old snapshots when free space gets low. Cryptolocker started doing its thing on the share, VSS helpfully purged all the snapshots to free up space for it, and by the time it was done they couldn't revert anything

...did they not have disaster recovery backups?

vss is great, but it doesn't do you much good if your array nukes itself and you have to rebuild from scratch

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Shame Boy posted:

is that some kind of start-up that sends you monthly loot boxes full of research chems or something

Looks like it's an industrial control and automation company, so after this and other threads I 100% believe that their backups were just to another machine on the network.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

gaaahahahhahah

quote:

Samsung Admits Major Security Flaw in Galaxy S10 Under-Screen Fingerprint Sensor

A major flaw in Samsung's Galaxy S10 smartphone has been discovered that basically means any fingerprint can unlock the device with the help of a cheap screen protector.

According to the BBC, a British woman discovered the authentication flaw after she applied a cheap gel screen protector bought off eBay to her Galaxy S10.

She soon discovered that she was able to authenticate as the owner by pressing her left thumbprint against the phone's onscreen fingerprint sensor – the problem being that she hadn't registered her thumb with the device's biometric authenticaton system.

Her suspicions were confirmed when her husband was also able to unlock the phone by pressing either one of his thumbs on the screen's built-in sensor. The screen protector was then applied to another relative's Galaxy S10 and the same thing occurred.

Responding to the incident, Samsung said it was "aware of the case of S10's malfunctioning fingerprint recognition and will soon issue a software patch."

Previous reports have suggested that certain screen protectors are "incompatible" with Samsung's fingerprint sensor because they leave a small air gap that can interfere with the scanning. The sensor relies on ultrasound to detect the microscopic ridges that make every fingerprint unique.

The Galaxy S10 is the latest in Samsung's flagship S series, which is usually regarded as the iPhone's annual rival. The Korean company launched the phone in March and referred to its under-screen fingerprint authentication system as "revolutionary."

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
https://twitter.com/Sta_Light_/status/1184475413252210688

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Shame Boy posted:

"nothing works right now," says CEO Thomas Pilz.

Volmarias posted:

Looks like it's an industrial control and automation company, so after this and other threads I 100% believe that their backups were just to another machine on the network.
yeah it's about what i expect.

a while back my buddy got a call from someone in a completely different country complaining that because of him they couldn't access loads of their production machines. why? he had spun up about 50 VM instances to test stuff and used up the tiny remaining space in the subnet all the sites were on. lol

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Shame Boy posted:

monthly allotment of Saskatchewan champagne

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

Hooooo boy just came across a secfuck at work. IT janitor decides to develop a php-based tool to manage folder permissions on a sensitive file share... by shell_exec()'ing everything using an admin service account. And of course it accepts direct user input with no sanitization or anything

Eeehhhhuuuummmmmm

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

ewiley posted:

Hooooo boy just came across a secfuck at work. IT janitor decides to develop a php-based tool to manage folder permissions on a sensitive file share... by shell_exec()'ing everything using an admin service account. And of course it accepts direct user input with no sanitization or anything

Eeehhhhuuuummmmmm

rip

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

infernal machines posted:

...did they not have disaster recovery backups?

vss is great, but it doesn't do you much good if your array nukes itself and you have to rebuild from scratch

of course not, VSS is backup

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

ah, of course

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

its the secfuck thread. imagine the dumbest possible explanation for a bad thing happening and the reality in inevitably worse.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Oh good; my new bank's online password system is hosed.

Passwords must be <= 15 characters long
Passwords cannot contain spaces or any of the following invalid characters: : * ! ; | / '

Guess who probably isn't sanitizing input and/or storing passwords in plain text or just MD5'ing them/and or both? :shepicide:

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

I'm not a developer but is it normal to include credentials inline in PHP?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

php maybe, but not in real languages

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007

ewiley posted:

Yes, this is very normal in PHP and one of the reason doing a Google dork for download.php?file= will yield so many juicy DB creds (when you edit the url to file=../config.php or w/e). When I was at Yahoo! we had developed an in house solution to read credentials out of a service at runtime. I haven't used PHP since then so I don't know if they have a better solution, but this isn't unique to you, but it is somewhat unique to PHP!

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

well this is fun, a remotely exploitable bug in the realtek wifi driver can cause a buffer overflow in the linux kernel

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

its the secfuck thread. imagine the dumbest possible explanation for a bad thing happening and the reality in inevitably worse.

yeah, like one guy in the ‘70s decided that storing the length of buffers was too hard and instead just said“make the last thing in the array null” lmao

mystes
May 31, 2006

Cocoa Crispies posted:

yeah, like one guy in the ‘70s decided that storing the length of buffers was too hard and instead just said“make the last thing in the array null” lmao
It's not like Dennis Ritchie knew that in the 2010s internet-connected devices would have security vulnerabilities as a result of this decision.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

ewiley posted:

yeah, any environment that supports shared hosting style ftp deployments was going to do this

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
storing credentials in a php file is a Best Practice when deploying to lovely shared hosting because you don't have anywhere to put them other than in a file and you don't have the ability to put them in a file that the http server won't serve to people. putting them in a php file at least means that navigating to the url of that file will run the file rather than serving it up directly.

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

mystes posted:

It's not like Dennis Ritchie knew that in the 2010s internet-connected devices would have security vulnerabilities as a result of this decision.

Not storing the size of the buffers/arrays at the begging is a real dumb oversight.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

The Fool posted:

php maybe, but not in real languages

Strongly disagree. Credentials/private keys/secrets are all over the place. It’s easy and people are lazy.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Janitor Prime posted:

Not storing the size of the buffers/arrays at the begging is a real dumb oversight.
I mean it's dumb, but I don't think the security implications were even a consideration at that point and there was never anything preventing people from using safe arrays/strings in C once they realized it was an issue.

If you drink an old mercury based cure for syphilis or kill yourself trying to use a flintlock rifle in 2019 is it the fault of the person who invented it?

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe
Not the inventor, but definitely the committee that oversees the C language for not having safe strings and related functions in the standard library in 2019 is a huge fuckup, considering that the stupid language is still necessary in all kinds of low level programming like this wifi driver.

No, actually even the inventor is dumb. Having the size upfront simplifies so many drat operations, it's a more obvious way of doing things with the benefit of not having all these stupid gotchas.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

but it will take one extra instruction to access a character of the string on some architectures and use an entire word of memory. are you mad? *iterates over the string for the 18th time*

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

Plorkyeran posted:

storing credentials in a php file is a Best Practice when deploying to lovely shared hosting because you don't have anywhere to put them other than in a file and you don't have the ability to put them in a file that the http server won't serve to people. putting them in a php file at least means that navigating to the url of that file will run the file rather than serving it up directly.

yeah I see it's not in the source when the server serves it up, but still there's got to be a way to have the webserver process run as creds, like an iis worker process does. Or have them in some protected include file at least...

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Volmarias posted:

Or you have a Twitter handle someone really wants, or someone wants to gently caress with you specifically, or

I know someone that's had their number forcibly ported serveral times despite having strong warnings supposedly listed in the customer notes. They are not, to my knowledge, a multi millionare.

yeah happened to a friend of mine with 150k instagram followers. someone with a physical fake id went into a spring store in another state and hijacked his sim.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Spatial posted:

but it will take one extra instruction to access a character of the string on some architectures and use an entire word of memory. are you mad? *iterates over the string for the 18th time*

code:
for (int i = 0; i < strlen(str); i++) {
    str[i] = tolower(str[i]);
}

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
putting the length at the beginning of a string is a terrible design because you can't form substrings without copying the string constantly, which is in fact much worse than repeatedly scanning it to compute the length. the right design is to pass around the length separately from the pointer, which was not obvious in the 70s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

ewiley posted:

yeah I see it's not in the source when the server serves it up, but still there's got to be a way to have the webserver process run as creds, like an iis worker process does. Or have them in some protected include file at least...

php has been able to read server and environment variables for a long time, people are just lazy