Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Big Show v Batista at the Hammerstein

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos

Lid posted:

Big Show v Batista at the Hammerstein

"You can't wrestle!"

"I don't have to!"

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005
Huge monsters like Big Show should be an occasional special attraction or the champion. Keeping them around for such a long time really kills what makes them special.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
I would say it’s movies where he’s in his underpants trying to save an orphanage.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

I am glad sentiment on Big Show has changed around here.

It helps that he hasn't been on TV in ages

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe
Anyone have the gif of Big Show accidentally putting his foot through a table in a table match? He had an amazing ...oh poo poo... expression.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Blast Fantasto posted:

Big Show was cool and the only controversial thing on his Wikipedia page is that he once got charged with assault because he punched some belligerent rear end in a top hat so hard his jaw broke.

didn't he whip out the little show at a lady one time

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i remember security cam footage of him pulling out his penis to pee right there in front of a woman with curly hair and she said, "and they call you the big show?"

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

This all having been said: If WWE still put out DVDs they would have a hell of a time filling out a 'Big Show's best matches' DVD.
I don't blame him though.
Hotter Take: Big Show had the potential to be an all time great if he were smaller and could go all-out during matches.
There's only so much you can do with your body when you're that big.
I mean the dude tried (this vid didn't show the 20 seconds it took show to get to the top rope)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7RTE6rE_Bg

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
hell, his legacy would be considered a lot loving better if Vince hadn't booked him like poo poo almost his entire run.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

extradite THIS! posted:

It helps that he hasn't been on TV in ages

I mean WWE in 2019 is so dire I don’t even think you could accuse people of wearing rose tinted glasses if they said they preferred the endless pointless goofy angles Show was involved in

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

CityMidnightJunky posted:

Anyone have the gif of Big Show accidentally putting his foot through a table in a table match? He had an amazing ...oh poo poo... expression.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

No, but you can have this.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Aesop Poprock posted:

I mean WWE in 2019 is so dire I don’t even think you could accuse people of wearing rose tinted glasses if they said they preferred the endless pointless goofy angles Show was involved in

Monsters in WWE exist to be immediately vanquished.
Like Big Show in 2012 when he spent a month terrorizing everybody after turning heel at a PPV only to be defeated by John Cena the show after.
(To their credit I think it was Cena + 4 other guys for once, but he still lost)
Or you know...The Fiend.
Or Kane when he fought the Undertaker for the first time...and lost.

Oh but before we leave the Cena track. Hell if I'm watching WWE right now but I think I'd rather have Seth poopoo and peepee himself then the John Cena "HOW WILL HE OVERCOME THESE OD...oh he just did. Let me at least finish the drat question John"

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Oct 18, 2019

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

TheKingslayer posted:

No, but you can have this.

Peak big show

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

1999 bossman was absolutely wild

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

jesus WEP posted:

1999 bossman was absolutely wild

heel bossman in the late 90s is unironically one of my favorite heels of all time

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

'With the deepest regrets, and tears that are soaked
I'm sorry to hear that your dad finally croaked
He lived a full life on his own terms
Soon he'll be buried and eaten by worms
But if I could have a son as stupid as you
I'd have wished for cancer so I would die too
So be brave, and be strong, get your life on track
'Cause the old bastard's DEAD and he ain't never comin' back!'

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

His greatest heel move was the deviation from the meter

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TheKingslayer posted:

:golfclap:

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

jesus WEP posted:

His greatest heel move was the deviation from the meter

And he was such a good guy irl that even Jim Cornette doesn't hold loving up catching him at Night of the Skywalkers against him. :unsmith:

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

big show was cool but his chokeslam looked like absolute poo poo after the glory days of WCW. he made up for it by doing that cool cobra-clutch backbreaker to helicopter throw for a bit which was absolutely top-notch. he has that jericho thing where he was a good worker searching for a satisfying finish for a long while until he realised "just hit a bitch in the face." we got there in the end but we had to suffer through the Hog Log along the way

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

TheKingslayer posted:

:perfect:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

It was from back when he was The Giant in WCW, but I have always loved the scene in The Waterboy where Captain Insano laughs so hard he starts crying :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ex7xsCFI_c8

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

ChrisBTY posted:

Hotter Take: Big Show had the potential to be an all time great if he were smaller and could go all-out during matches.
There's only so much you can do with your body when you're that big.
I mean the dude tried (this vid didn't show the 20 seconds it took show to get to the top rope)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7RTE6rE_Bg

Oh yeah. And he always said it was so much harder for him to stay in shape and eat properly while on a road schedule, so WWE 2008-2015 was peaks and waves of Show comes back in amazing shape —> why the hell is this fat gently caress still a heel/face —> Show gets time off and gets in better shape.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Jerusalem posted:

It was from back when he was The Giant in WCW, but I have always loved the scene in The Waterboy where Captain Insano laughs so hard he starts crying :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ex7xsCFI_c8

Within a year of that movie coming out, Adam Sandler released a song called "Seven Foot Man" and I always wondered if it was inspired by working with Big Show.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

It's really kind of incredible how much better WCW booked the Giant than WWE did the Big Show. Up until the very end when Nash finally Kevin Nashed him, the Giant was treated like walking death for whoever he was facing. It usually took gigantic scmozz finishes for the opponent to have a chance

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I would kill to see the rumored Giant Moonsault In His Prime.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

DeathChicken posted:

It's really kind of incredible how much better WCW booked the Giant than WWE did the Big Show. Up until the very end when Nash finally Kevin Nashed him, the Giant was treated like walking death for whoever he was facing. It usually took gigantic scmozz finishes for the opponent to have a chance

They did this for Sting from 96 - 98. He was like a normal sized dude who was like the only one who could take out the whole nWo. I also remember a match between the Giant and Sting where Sting busted out a toprope Scorpion Death Drop.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4np4c

Shard fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Oct 18, 2019

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe
What's everyone's favourite Jericho moment? The guy's gimmick is reinventing his gimmick and he's been doing it for nearly 3 decades so I'm sure there's a million of them.

Personally, I'm a big fan of 2001 Y2J before they hosed up his main event push. His feud with Regal was great.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I'm extremely fond of shirtless Jericho rambling on a random road in the middle of nowhere and cutting a promo on a tortoise. That one also got us "I'll see you on June 6 at Dominion... FUCKFACE!"

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Probably his WWF debut because I wasn't 100% sure it was going to be him. Then "JERICHO" appeared on the tron and the place went nuts, followed by him doing the iconic pose for the first time.

Underrated Jericho moment: telling Mankind that the only reason so many people read his book was to see if he died at the end.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
ARMBAR

I mean theres so many good Jericho moments, hes my favorite ever and I'm glad hes getting recognized as one of the best ever now but man of 1004 holds (with tights to prove it!) kills me every time.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I really enjoyed his run as best friends with Kevin Owens, culminating in the Festival of Friendship and I believe the first time someone turned heel on him instead of the other way around. And he sold it so well.

"...how come my name's on this?"

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe
Actually, I've just remembered my all time single favourite Jericho moment.

This feud is probably one of my favourite of all time. And it's because I genuinely believed that these two loving hated each other. Which is really rare, especially for the Rock. He's usually so cool and joking around, but Jericho got under his skin so well that it kind of turned Rock into a petty dick as well whenever they were on screen. It was awesome.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Actually, I've just remembered my all time single favourite Jericho moment.

This feud is probably one of my favourite of all time. And it's because I genuinely believed that these two loving hated each other. Which is really rare, especially for the Rock. He's usually so cool and joking around, but Jericho got under his skin so well that it kind of turned Rock into a petty dick as well whenever they were on screen. It was awesome.

Jericho's run as Undisputed champion was really bad but the lone bright spot was the leadup to his title defense vs Rock at Royal Rumble '02. Jericho losing his loving mind screaming his lungs out and demanding he not be dismissed, disrespected, or treated as a joke, only for the Rock to calmly stroll up the ramp, walk a little circle around Jericho, and confirm that he is, in fact, taking Jericho very seriously, and none of his usual Rock-isms about whooping candy asses and whatnot are in any way meant to be funny.

The few times Rock got quiet and serious were really effective. Jericho's run as a tantrum-throwing inept fluke champion less effective, but that particular promo was really good.

TriffTshngo fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Oct 18, 2019

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

So in WCW, Jericho hounded almost every cruiserweight, none more than Dean Malenko. He beats Malenko, takes his title and then makes fun of Malenko all the time after he takes time off to mourn the passing of his father.

This goes on for a while, all the while Jericho keeps dominating the cruiserweight division, sometimes never even taking his belt off in a match. All this leads to a big battle royal to crown his next challenger. Before the match starts Jericho introduces all the entries making fun of their names.

In the end it comes down to Juventude Guerrero and Ciclope who have a little chat followed by Juventude eliminating himself. Jericho gets in the ring to challenge him now only for Ciclope to take his mask off and ITS DEAN loving MALENKO THE ICEMAN THE MAN OF A 1000 HOLDS AND HE KICKS JERICHO'S loving rear end.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7g4dh

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I don’t know anything about wrestling. How do I know if a show/match/whatever I’m watching is good?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Austin and Jericho in the ring after the show goes off the air. Austin throws a beer to Jericho to tries to catch it behind his back all cool. He misses.

Jericho and Austin freeze, Austin staring at Jericho, Jericho looking like a deer in headlights.

Austin tosses him another beer, Jericho drops it and immediately throws a tantrum, knowing what's coming.

Austin calmly walks over and does a baby toss to Jericho, who has the look of someone that knows he hosed up and is accepting the condescension but is still mad about it.

Jericho drinks beer, eats Stunner. Absolute perfection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pollyanna posted:

I don’t know anything about wrestling. How do I know if a show/match/whatever I’m watching is good?

Are you enjoying it and having a good time? Then it's good. It's like any other entertainment, it's subjective.