Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

general chaos
May 20, 2001

HenryEx posted:

There would have also been this:

https://mkey.salthax.org/

edit: altough maybe that wouldn't have helped since you also need inquiry number for this

Yeah, that's the "Master key generator" I mentioned. I was finally able to use that when I escaped the inescapable profile page trap.

So I have two Wii Us now. I've only ever played Splatoon online so I was curious what my wife and I could tackle together. Especially with co-op in mind, but Vs will be fine too. We've played more than a few normal local multiplayer titles and loved the system for it.

I know there's Bayonetta 2 coop, MonHun 3, Mass Effect 3... Anything else worth looking at for multiplayer on 2 Wiius?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

night slime
May 14, 2014
edit; nevermind,

night slime fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Oct 3, 2019

FiestaDePantalones
May 13, 2005

Kicked in the pants by TFLC
I tried poking around on google, but found nothing. Does anyone here know about the possibility of modding Slay the Spire on a homebrewed Switch?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

FiestaDePantalones posted:

I tried poking around on google, but found nothing. Does anyone here know about the possibility of modding Slay the Spire on a homebrewed Switch?

Theoretically it's possible but it depends on how the game was ported / if someone is gonna put forth the work to bring PC mods over.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Wii homebrew question, bit of a stretch really, but for TimeSplitters 2 GameCube, does anyone have a 100% save file?

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Here, give this a shot

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b6jbp829h7wl4l3/4F-GTSE-MARC.son.gci

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

I said come in! posted:

Wii homebrew question, bit of a stretch really, but for TimeSplitters 2 GameCube, does anyone have a 100% save file?

edit: beaten by randomferret with the same save file.

How are you playing the game/using the saved games? Do you have an actual gamecube memory card in your Wii?

Dropbox link to .gci file is a dropbox link from some wordpress that says everything is unlocked but not all the awards are completed: The wordpress blog page with the save

If you're using a gamecube memory card plugged into the wii you can just use https://wiibrew.org/wiki/Gamecube_Saver to add it to your memory card.

If you're using nintendont and an emulated memorycard you'll have to follow this guide on gbatemp and use dolphin to convert the save to raw format: https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-convert-gci-gcs-or-sav-saves-to-raw.385808/

Not sure how making a new raw memorycard file with only one save on it will effect your other nintendont saves and the emulated memorycard since I've never used nintendont. I'd back stuff up just in case though I think you can just make nintendont look for multiple memorycards.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Using Nintendont. Thank you so much for the help!

[edit]
That save file it turns out is a user created map. :(

I tried that save file anyways and now TimeSplitters 2 just won't load period, my Wii turns off after 30 seconds. It's just this game specifically because I tried another game and it loaded just fine.

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Oct 9, 2019

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I checked GameFAQs because they've got 100% saves for everything but they surprisingly didn't have anything for this widely beloved game. :(

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

There must be something about TimeSplitter 2 save files that prevent sharing them. Next thing I want to figure out is cheat files with Nintendon't. I haven't been able to get this to work.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Is there a compelling reason to go with either WiiU method (temp vs cold boot) over the other?

compounded daily
Mar 29, 2007

:buddy:
Fun Shoe
Temp is probably safer if you have kids that might muck around with your files. Otherwise, coldboot is fine. Just don't delete the DS game you use for it. (It'll get renamed to something like, "DON'T DELETE ME," so you should know which one it is.)

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
I soft modded my Wii using a guide from Mar 2019, the guide recommended USB Loader GX and d2x v10 beta53 and beta 52. After the mod, I put in a couple genuine Wii discs to play games the old fashioned way, and the promptly requested to update my Wii system. Despite already running 4.3U, the updates ran and over wrote IOS 249. I never lost the Homebrew channel, but I eventually figured out how to re-install d2x back in IOS 249. I've read more about this and I think it might be possible for a retail Wii disc to not only overwrite d2x, but also brick my Wii.

Is there a way to prevent retail Wii games from attempting to update my console? I think I've seen that ModMii will replace a lot of system IOS files with the same file, but a higher version number thus preventing disc based games from updating. Is this correct, is ModMii safe to use?

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future

Crotch Fruit posted:

I soft modded my Wii using a guide from Mar 2019, the guide recommended USB Loader GX and d2x v10 beta53 and beta 52. After the mod, I put in a couple genuine Wii discs to play games the old fashioned way, and the promptly requested to update my Wii system. Despite already running 4.3U, the updates ran and over wrote IOS 249. I never lost the Homebrew channel, but I eventually figured out how to re-install d2x back in IOS 249. I've read more about this and I think it might be possible for a retail Wii disc to not only overwrite d2x, but also brick my Wii.

Is there a way to prevent retail Wii games from attempting to update my console? I think I've seen that ModMii will replace a lot of system IOS files with the same file, but a higher version number thus preventing disc based games from updating. Is this correct, is ModMii safe to use?

I think that's an option in Priiloader?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

From the standpoint of a hacked wii-u is there any reason I shouldn’t use a PAL system in the US? I imagine the HDMI out is fine, long gone are the days of 50hz PAL right?

Can it be hacked to read NTSC discs?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Dunno but you can certainly install NTSC games as if they were store titles, same net result I guess

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

So, because of this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F57nH6YAE8o

I got re-interested in Wii-U hacking, but because my son still regularly plays our Wii-U, I wanted a separate one to hack up and basically kill the "just works" kid friendliness of. If you have a Wii sitting around to steal the power cable and sensor bar from, the below machines arent a bad deal if you're looking for a cheap Wii U. Cheaper than the gamestop ones, and for whatever reason, my local FB Marketplace seems to still want $100-$150 for Wii-U's

https://www.ebay.com/itm/223536777293

My research indicates that once hacked, the PAL versions are the same as the NTSC ones

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?
I don't see what you could do to make it less kids friendly. Just avoid using the coldboot variant and there'll be no way to shoot yourself in the foot.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I imagine the HDMI out is fine, long gone are the days of 50hz PAL right?
For video games, effectively. However HD television broadcasts in PAL territories use 1080i50 and 720p50. Good times, that.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Bank posted:

Yeah, my problem now is trying to find a clean one. I'm pretty picky when it comes to my controllers. Most of the ones I've seen so far are grimy and/or have plastic scarring. Why oh why did Nintendo have to use such cheap glossy plastic.

New ones are pretty darn expensive. I might have to scour my local Gamestop to see what kind of garbage I can sort through.

Check Walmart. Mine had the afterburner wireless controller for WiiU for $7 or $9.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
While not, technically speaking, homebrew, I am more excited for this device than I should be:

https://twitter.com/analogue/status/1184484202772926466?s=21

super curious if my EZ Flash IV works on it

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

If it's anything like their other FPGA clones, it'll work with virtually anything the original systems worked with as long as it physically fits.

Edit: and since it's a flashcart you're asking about, there's usually a subsequent jailbreak that allows playing ROMs off SD cards anyway.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Analogue is such a beastly company.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

asecondduck posted:

While not, technically speaking, homebrew, I am more excited for this device than I should be:

https://twitter.com/analogue/status/1184484202772926466?s=21

super curious if my EZ Flash IV works on it

Yeah if my ez works on it (it should) I’m in!

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Judging from their past releases, there will probably be a way to directly load roms on to it so flashcards won’t be necessary.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah I saw that too.

My only other issue is that it’s $199 when you can get GBA clones for $60.

I really want to see some reviews before I jump in. I think if it were like $100-$150 I would be all over it but $199 is switch lite territory and they charge something like $30 for shipping (according to the retro thread).

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
What you're buying with Analogue is the utmost quality. I completely trust their build quality and apparently the screen on this thing is supposed to be otherworldly. It's also not software emulation but multiple (!) fpgas which is basically computer science alchemy for turning a single chip into actual hardware. I'm hugely nostalgic for all things Game Boy so I have no issues spending $200 if the device is anywhere near advertised.

If you're just looking for a handheld you can throw an SD card full of roms on and play retro games there's probably plenty of better suited devices out there for less than half the cost.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

American McGay posted:

What you're buying with Analogue is the utmost quality. I completely trust their build quality and apparently the screen on this thing is supposed to be otherworldly. It's also not software emulation but multiple (!) fpgas which is basically computer science alchemy for turning a single chip into actual hardware. I'm hugely nostalgic for all things Game Boy so I have no issues spending $200 if the device is anywhere near advertised.

If you're just looking for a handheld you can throw an SD card full of roms on and play retro games there's probably plenty of better suited devices out there for less than half the cost.

I absolutely agree I just can’t see blindly spending the $200+ on it with out some reviews and hands on. If it were cheaper I’d probably go in blind.

On paper it seems like everything I’ve wanted from a retro device.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
It's definitely a boutique product for the niche that wants accurate hardware emulation. If you are fine with the performance (and more importantly, performance vs. price) of the various Chinese handheld emulator devices by all means save your money. And yeah, while buying a used GBA is cheaper (even modding in a backlit screen), if the Analogue Pocket gets the jailbreak that allows rom loading from an SD card, you'd save a lot of money on GB/GBA everdrives for a real GBA for a (hopefully) identical experience.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I’m more excited about the Analogue Pocket than I am for 9th gen consoles. I’ll definitely spend the money if it’s as good as it looks and it could easily load roms.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Oct 18, 2019

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Ok, at my wits end here and google is not helping me. I'm following wiiu.hacks.guide, and I'm at the point where I should do a NAND backup. No matter what I do with my SD card, I get the error "first partition not fat32", and it crashes. I'm using guiformat, and I've done 16k, 32k and 64k allocations to no avail. Is there something I'm doing wrong? Is it not capable of reading a 128gb card or something?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Did you check all the partitions that are on it in Disk Management on your PC? Sorry if that seems like a silly question

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

kirbysuperstar posted:

Did you check all the partitions that are on it in Disk Management on your PC? Sorry if that seems like a silly question

Nothing's silly at this point. There's just the one partition. It's MBR, as it should be, and that's...it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Can I just run a 128gb SD card in my Wii U and skip the hard drive, or will it not read cards that big?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Can I just run a 128gb SD card in my Wii U and skip the hard drive, or will it not read cards that big?

The issue is that you can't install digital games to the sd card at all. Wii u isn't setup that way. You can put Wii homebrew and Wii or gamecube games on it though for Wii mode.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

MagusDraco posted:

The issue is that you can't install digital games to the sd card at all. Wii u isn't setup that way. You can put Wii homebrew and Wii or gamecube games on it though for Wii mode.

I would not recommend that though, the read speeds are kind of garbage! I tried playing Xenoblade through the Wii U SD card and it just did not have a good time.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

ChaosArgate posted:

I would not recommend that though, the read speeds are kind of garbage! I tried playing Xenoblade through the Wii U SD card and it just did not have a good time.

Good to know I had hardly messed with vWii mode really. 'Course I also am running around with a usb stick for my wii u "hdd." I didn't notice any real issues in mario 3d world and botw but I'm sure that could potentially cause load time or "oh the usb stick died. poo poo" issues

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Looks like the 128 gig card was the problem. Dropping to the 32 and doing the same process worked fine.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

You guys could pick up a DS lite, a DS card cart, AND a krikzz gba cart for $200.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Dr. Lunchables posted:

You guys could pick up a DS lite, a DS card cart, AND a krikzz gba cart for $200.

You guys could totally build a retropie device for $200.