Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Sickening posted:

What are the costs looking like?

We're fairly small, ingesting 40gb/month with the default 30-day retention. It's a little under $100/month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Sickening posted:

Update!

I gave my notice to my EVP. It apparantly took a few hours to reach my CIO as he sent me an email with only a subject.

The meeting itself was pretty boring. He told me I wasn't doing myself a favor as I was giving up a big raise he was setting up for me (news to me). He also asked me if I feel confident in my new place not violating my non-compete. Only problem is that I don't have a non-compete and lol at it being an issue. We ended the convo with him acting happy that I was leaving as he put it "If you dont' want to be here, I don't want you here either."

Technically I am not fired. My office is already cleared out. Going to work remotely Monday and maybe from here on out until he gets the hint. Whatever, life is good.

:toot: Enjoy your "work" from home days!

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Sickening posted:

Update!

I gave my notice to my EVP. It apparantly took a few hours to reach my CIO as he sent me an email with only a subject.

The meeting itself was pretty boring. He told me I wasn't doing myself a favor as I was giving up a big raise he was setting up for me (news to me). He also asked me if I feel confident in my new place not violating my non-compete. Only problem is that I don't have a non-compete and lol at it being an issue. We ended the convo with him acting happy that I was leaving as he put it "If you dont' want to be here, I don't want you here either."

Technically I am not fired. My office is already cleared out. Going to work remotely Monday and maybe from here on out until he gets the hint. Whatever, life is good.

Is Donald Trump your cio?

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
Who here has seen the Dice 2019 Tech Salary Report? (hosting mine)

Not to bring up salary discussions all over again, but I'm curious to know thoughts and reflections about it. Frankly I not surprised by people leaving for new jobs that paid more, but almost half said "better working conditions" was the cause.

And there were skills I'd never heard of. Golang? HANA?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Agrikk posted:

Not to bring up salary discussions all over again, but I'm curious to know thoughts and reflections about it. Frankly I not surprised by people leaving for new jobs that paid more, but almost half said "better working conditions" was the cause.

Probably note this is only applicable to the US.

Also I'm disappointed "blockchain" is in that list.

Also Golang is pretty popular, google it (heh, get it, it's made by google).

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I make the national average for my job title, not sure how I feel about that.

Also, I don't believe the the numbers for "merit increase" I feel like they should be lower.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I don't see Network Administrator on that list, which is disappointing.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

It's a weird incomplete list, almost seems like it has an objective. Doesn't even mention security. Also it's almost a year old at this point.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Agrikk posted:

Go is what the kids are doing these days. It's free concurrency, statically linked, and strong typing. It's basically everything wrong with everything else and a few things it gets wrong in a different way. It's replacing Python more or less where speed matters. It is made not to be the sole app inside your docker container but to be the container.

100 lines of go can get you a webserver performing a task that's good to 100k rps and a 5 figure connection count.

Edit: HANA sounds like data science (e.g. Neural networks) or data processing pipeline (e.g. Hadoop) with a new name.

H110Hawk fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Oct 19, 2019

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Pretty sure Hana is that piece of poo poo database manager from SAP.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

In memory db; somebody’s gotta buy those 24tb single system image nodes.

Heffer
May 1, 2003

Yeah HANA is SAPs in memory column store database. Useful for giant analytic loads. Why not use cheaper Microsoft tools, or free open source tools? Good question!

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Heffer posted:

Yeah HANA is SAPs in memory column store database. Useful for giant analytic loads. Why not use cheaper Microsoft tools, or free open source tools? Good question!

Cause companies want paid support.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

Heffer posted:

HANA can actually be used as a row-based or column-based store. One of our customers uses it for patient data (they are a public health insurance company), and they are still having problems to get performance where they need/want it to be. Still, SAP HANA + Tableau is quite a good fit for their needs, because they are dealing with quite a bit of data that needs to be aggregated etc. on the fly.

Also, "why not use the cloud" etc.? Regulations, for one.

Edit: Also, good luck getting your data out of BW etc. in a reliable, performant way if you want to use something else for analysis. Homemade problems and all, but that's SAP and :capitalism:.

Hollow Talk fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Oct 19, 2019

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

taqueso posted:

It was going to be the biggest raise in the history of the company!

He was going to promote him to Mega Boss!

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
No no he was going to promote him to CIO and fire himself. He hasn't met his own personal KPIs

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Agrikk posted:

I like that 48% are smart enough to not accept a pay cut for more remote work. I’m generally more productive and more flexible with my hours working from home, which benefits my employer.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

tomapot posted:

I like that 48% are smart enough to not accept a pay cut for more remote work. I’m generally more productive and more flexible with my hours working from home, which benefits my employer.

I think an average person can work two jobs 100% remote pretty easily. If I was closer to the start of my career that is where i would be.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Sickening posted:

I think an average person can work two jobs 100% remote pretty easily. If I was closer to the start of my career that is where i would be.

can't relate

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Sickening posted:

I could pull it off for a long time I think. I do travel to HQ 2-4 times a year though. That might get tricky. Could be done though

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Your vacations at one company are HQ time at the other.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

skipdogg posted:

I could pull it off for a long time I think. I do travel to HQ 2-4 times a year though. That might get tricky. Could be done though

Outsource to India if you don’t care about your reputation

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

jaegerx posted:

I outsourced my last job to the philippines. I just told everyone I was an insomniac and worked weird hours.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Methanar posted:

I outsourced my last job to the philippines. I just told everyone I was an insomniac and worked weird hours.

My next job if it’s in an office I’m gonna tell them I have narcolepsy and turrets so I can sleep at my desk and call them names.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

jaegerx posted:

That’s every F500 corporation and otherwise?

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Outsource your job to ICON OF JAVA Mr. Nagoor Babu Sir (M. Tech), Sun Certified and Realtime Expert

captaingimpy
Aug 3, 2004

I luv me some pirate booty, and I'm not talkin' about the gold!
Fun Shoe

jaegerx posted:

My next job if it’s in an office I’m gonna tell them I have narcolepsy and turrets so I can sleep at my desk and call them names.

Turrets:

Tourettes:

Though, watching a turret with the gunner having narcolepsy would be amazing.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Twat Waffle posted:

Turrets:

Tourettes:

Though, watching a turret with the gunner having narcolepsy would be amazing.

Tourettes, turrets. Whatever keeps people away from my desk is fine. :shrug:

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo
Hahahahahahaha leaving the office on Friday, on my drive home. The only owner of the company I hadn't met calls me and says "I don't think you're fitting in, your employment is terminated effective immediately."

Call the other two owners to talk about it. Dude who fired me? 51% owner.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Exit Strategy posted:

Hahahahahahaha leaving the office on Friday, on my drive home. The only owner of the company I hadn't met calls me and says "I don't think you're fitting in, your employment is terminated effective immediately."

Didn’t you recently give notice recently anyways, or is this your new job?

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo
It's the new job. Two weeks in. Received no negative feedback from direct managers or coworkers.

It's fine. Interview with a new place Monday, have a cushion financially.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
What’s it like to work for psychos?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

gently caress that poo poo. Good riddence.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

lol what the gently caress

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

lol what the gently caress

I feel like this should be the new thread title

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

CLAM DOWN posted:

I feel like this should be the new thread title

:agreed:

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Fired by a person you’ve never met sure is something.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Exit Strategy posted:

A person who calls you direct to fire you over the phone like that GOT OFF WHILE DOING IT. Simply no other explanation.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo
I'm just glad I took my keyboard with me to work on it some more this weekend. gently caress leaving that large of an equipment investment there.

But yeah, I keep getting the feeling of bullet-dodging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Exit Strategy posted:

It's the new job. Two weeks in. Received no negative feedback from direct managers or coworkers.

It's fine. Interview with a new place Monday, have a cushion financially.

What the actual gently caress...

Good luck on the interview monday.