Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Shut up Meg posted:

I mushed these two replies together when I read them and thought you had a really cunning plan where you put all the old poo poo in a U-Haul trailer, told people you were moving it to a new storage location and then 'accidentally' dropped a forklift off the warehouse roof onto it.

If only...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

Shut up Meg posted:

I don't wish to cause aspersions on your abilities, but being able to invisibly break stuff is a core skill of IT support.

One of the most important pieces of kit I carried back in my MSP days was what I called the "extended warranty validator". It was a nine-volt battery with loose leads I would drag across any exposed chip until the equipment in question mysteriously powered off.

Salespeople are going to push an extended warranty on you. Make sure you get your money's worth for it.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Shut up Meg posted:

I mushed these two replies together when I read them and thought you had a really cunning plan where you put all the old poo poo in a U-Haul trailer, told people you were moving it to a new storage location and then 'accidentally' dropped a forklift off the warehouse roof onto it.
He's onto us! :derp:

fishmech posted:

What kind of bizarre idea of "home users" do you have where they aren't using Chrome and using ungodly resource intensive ad-loaded websites?

"Light browsing" that avoids mainstream overloaded sites/applies filters and blockers to de-suck them, and having the discipline/general knowledge to keep tabs trimmed to a minimum, is more of a power user thing.
I feel like my browser sessions would make you very sad.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Wizard of the Deep posted:

One of the most important pieces of kit I carried back in my MSP days was what I called the "extended warranty validator". It was a nine-volt battery with loose leads I would drag across any exposed chip until the equipment in question mysteriously powered off.

Salespeople are going to push an extended warranty on you. Make sure you get your money's worth for it.

Isn't that fraud with extra steps?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Sickening posted:

Isn't that fraud with extra steps?

Wait, you can commit fraud with fewer steps than that? drat, dude, no wonder they made you management.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

dragonshardz posted:

I was hoping I would have a test unit I could point to as "demonstrably too hosed up to even try doing the FDR on". Now I have to get inventive.

Probably just discreetly disappear the batteries...

"Will not power on w/o battery, unit is dead."

No, because then they're gonna make you look for the batteries if they're all gone. They'd probably be considered missing assets if whoever put you up to this is already this pedantic about a bunch of old phones. Or worse; Order some. Just hide the good batteries, leave the bloated ones, and try to fob people away with them being dangerous and nobody should poke their nose near them until you've tossed the lot.

At worst, you need to break one or two just enough for testing that they looks intact, but imply that some or all of them are just as dead. Short a few battery leads with a paper clip or run just a little too much current through one to let the magic smoke out.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Oct 18, 2019

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

nexxai posted:

we;lp been at this job for 323 days and despite my numerous suggestions to remove Send access to our company-wide distribution list, it was determined that removing access to anyone not in corporate communications wouldn't be a priority.

Obviously, you know what's been going on for the past hour.
So after 4 different meetings, including no less than the CEO, you'll never guess which of my numerous suggestions they decided to take more seriously.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

nexxai posted:

So after 4 different meetings, including no less than the CEO, you'll never guess which of my numerous suggestions they decided to take more seriously.

Removing the carpet by the tech bench.

Except they'll just replace it with a more plush carpet.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Renegret posted:

Removing the carpet by the tech bench.

Except they'll just replace it with a more plush carpet.

A year from now, they'll lay off the cleaning staff, require you treat the tech bench like you treat your own home, and require you remove your shoes before entering the room.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

nexxai posted:

No, I got it

A ban on microwaving fish and popcorn in the breakroom.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Renegret posted:

What company in the world would be dumb enough to do something like this

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Jewel posted:

I mean you say that yet every major food retailer in the fuckin' world still throws out their food surplus instead of giving it to shelters,

This isn't true, just saying. Its a minority of them, but plenty donate or give away food. Churches still gives out they excess at the end of the day if you show up to collect it, and when I was homeless eating at shelters I got so loving tired of Red Lobster and Starbucks its not funny.

Problem with donating that stuff is that it doesn't keep well, and isn't one of the basic components which is what they need. There is no surplus flour/sugar/eggs, so there isn't actually much a shelter can take in all practicality.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Renegret posted:

No, I got it

i get fish, but popcorn is a dumb move.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

wargames posted:

i get fish, but popcorn is a dumb move.

No, popcorn fuckin' stinks and lingers. Not to mention the morons that leave it unattended and cause it to burn.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

TWBalls posted:

No, popcorn fuckin' stinks and lingers. Not to mention the morons that leave it unattended and cause it to burn.

true, but its such a basic snack, especially for basic people, that you would have some C levels secretary pissed off she can't have her popcorn

we literally have it in the free vending machine at work

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Truga posted:

I said nothing about it until people started posting about breaking a perfectly good laptop because it was old. Fine, your old blackberries are poo poo and useless. Old laptops? gently caress you, give it to someone who can use it.

and what the gently caress, I *am* a bottom level employee, i had to lobby my boss so we started doing that poo poo. I mean my company as in the place I work at

Truga posted:

yeah, i insisted on SSDs into everything and anything at work some 5 years ago and the response from everyone was amazing.

What kind of company are you working for? In most places a "bottom level" employee never even sees a C level, let alone has any input into company policy.

Truga posted:

a 5 year old office laptop is going to be fine for checking email, light browsing, playing warframe, or watching a movie. it can't handle 20 tab chome or bigass excel tables anymore, but home users don't need that.

lol no it isn't, 4 GB of ram and a 5400 RPM drive isn't going to be useful for poo poo, let alone loving Warframe. Is your company like that doctor's office that buys receptionists and nurses gaming laptops?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

My current work laptop has an i7 and 16 gigs of RAM but no dedicated GPU. I seriously doubt the Intel integrated graphics would run any recent 3d game well.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

RFC2324 posted:

true, but its such a basic snack, especially for basic people, that you would have some C levels secretary pissed off she can't have her popcorn

we literally have it in the free vending machine at work

Yes, and so is toast and I've worked at places that don't allow that either for the same reasons. People leave it unattended and then it burns.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

TWBalls posted:

Yes, and so is toast and I've worked at places that don't allow that either for the same reasons. People leave it unattended and then it burns.

Is there a microwave around in 2019 that doesn't have a popcorn button?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

https://twitter.com/kairyssdal/status/1185278295664783360

Immediate relevance.

gently caress fish in the microwave.

I don't worry about popcorn as we have managed popcorn machines in the kitchens by the slushie makers.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
We had our toaster oven privileges revoked after the first time someone left one unattended and it caught fire.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

lol no it isn't, 4 GB of ram and a 5400 RPM drive isn't going to be useful for poo poo, let alone loving Warframe. Is your company like that doctor's office that buys receptionists and nurses gaming laptops?

I'm sure he meant such a laptop with an SSD upgrade.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

TWBalls posted:

i think you mean smells wonderful, and makes the non-popcorn havers suffer with hunger.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Sickening posted:

the hell does that have to do with whether the popcorn is cooked correctly, i think I've had like one microwave in my entire life where the popcorn button didn't either undercook or overcook the popcorn if you left it to its own devices

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.
'Popcorn button'?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Zereth posted:

the hell does that have to do with whether the popcorn is cooked correctly, i think I've had like one microwave in my entire life where the popcorn button didn't either undercook or overcook the popcorn if you left it to its own devices

Every microwave with a popcorn button has worked with me as designed. Sorry for your loss?

Shut up Meg posted:

'Popcorn button'?

Most microwaves have preset buttons to cook certain things. You press the button and it auto cooks at a certain power settings for a preset time. You can put your popcorn in, hit the popcorn button, and come back to unburned popcorn.

Have I lived my life with superior microwave technology that the rest of the gooniverse doesn't possess?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Coincidentally, the popcorn preset is literally the only preset that I've ever had work correctly.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I have never used a microwave preset other than max power and I haven't burnt popcorn since I was a kid so :shrug:

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.
I had no idea such technology existed.

I thought the only way you could microwave popcorn was by using those special bags of popcorn that also gave you cancer.

What a world we live in!

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Shut up Meg posted:

I had no idea such technology existed.

I thought the only way you could microwave popcorn was by using those special bags of popcorn that also gave you cancer.

What a world we live in!
oh the buttons are for those prepackaged bags

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I think it's the fake butter that gives you cancer not the bag.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

taqueso posted:

I think it's the fake butter that gives you cancer not the bag.

You can find micro plastic fibers in rain drops and fresh snow and all of it slowly breaks down into carcinogenic components. Everything causes cancer who cares enjoy the synthetic popcorn butter hail the popcorn button and hail satan

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Nuclearmonkee posted:

You can find micro plastic fibers in rain drops and fresh snow and all of it slowly breaks down into carcinogenic components. Everything causes cancer who cares enjoy the synthetic popcorn butter hail the popcorn button and hail satan

You know what ALSO causes cancer? Oxidation. You know what two things we NEED to live that oxidize? Air and water.

"WARNING: The air you breathe and water you drink are chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer."

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

That reminds me, I need to renew my hazmat certification for handling dihydrogen monoxide

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I take it back, the bag, the fake butter, the popcorn kernels grown in roundup, and the microwave all give you cancer.

for real the microwave is probably fine

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Sickening posted:

I can't speak for others, but the one we have at work has a dial.

quote:

i think you mean smells wonderful, and makes the non-popcorn havers suffer with hunger.
It's been a few years since I could actually smell anything, but when I could, I hated the smell freshly popped corn. It's overwhelming.

TWBalls fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Oct 19, 2019

potato of destiny
Aug 21, 2005

Yeah, welcome to the club, pal.
apparently a couple of people did changes 'without adequately communicating the impact to our end users' so guess what everyone gets to spend the next three loving weeks doing

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

warframe runs passably on low on my chomebook, though it does have a SSD. one of my friends plays warframe on an 8 year old laptop (though it does have some low power radeon in it iirc) with a 5400 drive, and apart from load times being 10 seconds longer than us SSD havers, it runs fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
We can't donate / recycle computers anymore because some dipshit auditor/examiner was worried about drives not being wiped and important data getting out. So now every machine is sent for disposal.We are a citrix shop, so 90% of the computers out there have seen nothing running on them but citrix apps.

I had a talk with the people in charge of this, and said it was easy to have 2 people verify a drive has been removed. Log everything, keep track of drives, extremely easy to do, and its not like a lot of those people who do that are busy. They said that they still couldn't be sure, because what if someone makes a mistake. Just jaw dropping stupidity.