Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Definitely do all the things you listed. Also, I’d come up with a different border for the subwindows. Outlines and borders should be visually stronger than the thing they outline — not much, but a bit. So they should at least be brighter than the subwindow background.

Actually, I’m not sure about the arrangement of the subwindows either. Consider the shape of the space between them, which serves as a viewport to the models behind them. It’s this broken zigzag shape. If you want the player to be able to see the boat model, then there’s always going to be a subwindow in the way. So maybe have a little box with the ship stats in the top left and then put all the part stuff in a sidebar down the right-hand side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Question: what would you do to polish this screen further?

The background is a bit too simple IMO. Adding a paper texture and trying to make it look more like a blueprint would be a solid start.

Can you get like an actual ship schematic, or render one of your ships and photoshop it into like outlines or something maybe? Like this:

I guess you need it to match the current ship though, I was just thinking of a generic background design. But you could have a pile of generic ship schematics as the background and just put a single panel with the current ship somewhere?

I think that'd be better than just a blue grid. Have that but on a blue grid and now it looks like you're pouring over your ship schematics as you design it.

The blue boarders aren't working super hot, maybe like silver boarders? Needs some texture to it too, not just flat color. And I think the transparency may be a mistake, just have the windows be opaque so they read easier.

The text in the top left probably needs a background window too so it reads easier. White text with white lines intersecting it is a bit messy.

If you wanted to try something really far out,

What if the menu was like an admiral's desk? The background is mostly like, a wood texture. You have each of the menus be a piece of paper lying on the desk. They each just have a simple white paper texture for the background. Then you plop a couple cute knickknacks on the sides, like a "World's #1 Admiral" mug, and a toy plane, and some pens, and stuff like that?

Maybe wouldn't work, I don't fully know the context of where this menu is. But ideas :shrug:

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Oct 19, 2019

Lanth
Jun 15, 2007
Lipstick Apathy

Even if you miss the deadline (what deadline?), you've made some incredible progress. Game jams are more about buckling down and actually doing things than anything else IMO, and you are absolutely doing things.

Thank you for the encouraging words! I set my own deadline to have a little playable package by halloween since it fits thematically and I'm going to start working on client projects again around that time, so I know my time will be very very limited. We'll see.

The things that leap out to me are:

* Put a dividing line horizontally across the middle (where the grid looks like it's stretched; that's actually the two cameras seeing different grids)
* Put a border around the part preview display
* Put a border and background around the text in the top-left corner
* Maybe put a rubber texture on the grid to make it look kind of like a cutting mat for miniatures? Or a paper texture to make it look kind of like blueprints? I don't know.

Seconding Zaphod's blueprint idea, was about to post the same. Can you only render the outlines of the ship in white and make the actual mesh otherwise transparent or light blue?
I assume you need some shader fuckery for that though.

I'd also on first glance suggest using a blueprint-ish blue as the background, maybe with something like a faint uniform dot pattern like on some drawing paper.

Grouping all the elements on your screen should make it easier to read, i.e. the side and top view of the ship should be grouped together and maybe even labelled.
The stats should be all in on place for the ship itself, same for the cannon. You could think of it as a split-screen where the ship info is always on the left, and the part info is always on the right - that way I always know where to focus when comparing stats. The "split" could be invisible though, it's more about element placement and alignment.

Of course I might be reading the intent of this screen wrong though!

edit: Quick Mockup

Lanth fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Oct 19, 2019

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The things that leap out to me are:

* Put a dividing line horizontally across the middle (where the grid looks like it's stretched; that's actually the two cameras seeing different grids)
* Put a border around the part preview display
* Put a border and background around the text in the top-left corner
* Maybe put a rubber texture on the grid to make it look kind of like a cutting mat for miniatures? Or a paper texture to make it look kind of like blueprints? I don't know.

Everything is just kinda... Floating there. Do the windows move around based on context/your mouse/something else? If so, do something to make them look like they're discrete windows or tooltips. A more distinct border would help, along with a subtle drop shadow. If not, dock them so they aren't taking up so much space in the middle and they look like different parts of a UI. right now, everything kind of like like it's just... There.

I tried my hand a something similar a few years ago and while it's not pretty, maybe it will give you some inspiration.

https://youtu.be/rVyZISi9Gww

quote:

Man that looks great.

It occurs to me you could probably do some lizard-brain-tickling shaders just using the multiple-scrolling-textures-multiplied-against-each-other technique. They'd be responsive to the music by jerking the scrolling based on what's playing, kind of like how your fractal evolves in that video.

Thanks!

That's basically what the Kaleidoscope shader I posted before does except it's voronoi cells being layered on top of one another.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Oct 19, 2019

Lanth
Jun 15, 2007
Lipstick Apathy
Feast your eyes on the most beautiful menu ever:

Also, now that I see it in motion, I really like the signs over the ghosts heads!
This is starting to become colorful. I could probably animate the question/exclamation marks themselves at some point, but there's more important stuff for now.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Thanks for the advice, everyone! I realized, reading some of it, that the screenshot I posted was a bit misleading, so I recorded a video of the designer in action:

https://i.imgur.com/eUoOk1K.mp4

The main thing that I feel is important to emphasize here is that most of the time you're looking at the ship. You can duck into menus to pick different parts to put on the ship, and of course for things like save/load, but I don't expect you to be able to interact with both the ship and the parts menu at the same time.

megane posted:

Also, I’d come up with a different border for the subwindows. Outlines and borders should be visually stronger than the thing they outline — not much, but a bit. So they should at least be brighter than the subwindow background.
Yeah, that makes sense, thanks.

quote:

Actually, I’m not sure about the arrangement of the subwindows either. Consider the shape of the space between them, which serves as a viewport to the models behind them. It’s this broken zigzag shape. If you want the player to be able to see the boat model, then there’s always going to be a subwindow in the way. So maybe have a little box with the ship stats in the top left and then put all the part stuff in a sidebar down the right-hand side.

The subwindows are definitely kind of haphazard currently, so yeah, their positioning needs some work. The ship being visible behind them is mostly because, well, what else am I going to display behind them? But it's not meant to be the focus while the windows are up. I guess I could dim it? :shrug:

Zaphod42 posted:

The background is a bit too simple IMO. Adding a paper texture and trying to make it look more like a blueprint would be a solid start.

Yeah, I literally just threw together that grid background yesterday evening, and figured that before I put too much more effort into polish I should figure out what kind of polish I want.

quote:

Can you get like an actual ship schematic, or render one of your ships and photoshop it into like outlines or something maybe? Like this:

I guess you need it to match the current ship though, I was just thinking of a generic background design. But you could have a pile of generic ship schematics as the background and just put a single panel with the current ship somewhere?

I think that'd be better than just a blue grid. Have that but on a blue grid and now it looks like you're pouring over your ship schematics as you design it.

The blue boarders aren't working super hot, maybe like silver boarders? Needs some texture to it too, not just flat color. And I think the transparency may be a mistake, just have the windows be opaque so they read easier.

The text in the top left probably needs a background window too so it reads easier. White text with white lines intersecting it is a bit messy.

This is all really helpful, thank you!

quote:

If you wanted to try something really far out,

What if the menu was like an admiral's desk? The background is mostly like, a wood texture. You have each of the menus be a piece of paper lying on the desk. They each just have a simple white paper texture for the background. Then you plop a couple cute knickknacks on the sides, like a "World's #1 Admiral" mug, and a toy plane, and some pens, and stuff like that?

Maybe wouldn't work, I don't fully know the context of where this menu is. But ideas :shrug:

I admit I hadn't considered having the ship designer be a "place". It's a neat idea, and while it's a nontrivial amount of work to put together, it'd also potentially be a place to record the player's progress as they play through the campaign. Like, I could have a series of recon photographs of the bosses, medals in display cases, etc.

I don't want all of that to be visible when you're looking at the ship you're currently designing, but maybe in the parts menu it'd be OK. That'd mean making the menu basically modal, though -- you'd go from looking at the ship to looking at your parts (and the ship would no longer be visible), and then back to the ship once you've chosen a part.

Lanth posted:

Seconding Zaphod's blueprint idea, was about to post the same. Can you only render the outlines of the ship in white and make the actual mesh otherwise transparent or light blue?
I assume you need some shader fuckery for that though.

Yeah, the first bit of shader work I ever did was an attempt to set up an edge-detection shader so I could do outlines instead of fully-rendered parts. I didn't really know what I was doing and basically wasted a week with no progress, so I'm a little leery of returning to it...but on the flipside I have a much better understanding of shaders now.

I'd also on first glance suggest using a blueprint-ish blue as the background, maybe with something like a faint uniform dot pattern like on some drawing paper.[/quote]

I should really just go look at a bunch of blueprints and steal their color schemes, shouldn't I. :doh:

KillHour posted:

Everything is just kinda... Floating there. Do the windows move around based on context/your mouse/something else? If so, do something to make them look like they're discrete windows or tooltips. A more distinct border would help, along with a subtle drop shadow. If not, dock them so they aren't taking up so much space in the middle and they look like different parts of a UI. right now, everything kind of like like it's just... There.

I tried my hand a something similar a few years ago and while it's not pretty, maybe it will give you some inspiration.

https://youtu.be/rVyZISi9Gww

Hopefully the video I posted will help demonstrate how it's supposed to work. I don't think I want to try to implement a user-controlled windowing system, mostly out of fear it'd take the player out of the game. I don't want to be manipulating windows when I'm playing a game; that's a sign that the game designer couldn't set up a UI that works well in all situations.

Sounds like the general call is for a more diagetic blueprint-styled UI, then. Thanks y'all!

Lanth
Jun 15, 2007
Lipstick Apathy

Thanks for the advice, everyone! I realized, reading some of it, that the screenshot I posted was a bit misleading, so I recorded a video of the designer in action:

https://i.imgur.com/eUoOk1K.mp4

That definitely helps to understand what you're going for! I'm really digging the ship builder, it feels like I could spend some time min/maxing the parts and really "own" the ship.

Seeing it animated really highlights the impression of the floating windows (apparently) not following a set position though, and I need to readjust where I'm looking while navigating the menus - From what I assume is the first menu level (Parts, Hull, etc.) to the lowest (Bridges or Misc) the position of the windows and subwindows changes and is either in the center or left or right. Or, main menu in the middle, which opens up another menu to the left, which opens up the individual part and its stats to the right...

It kind of gets confusing quickly although I'm sure you can get used to it while playing. It might help to choose one direction to expand your menu to (left to right or right to left) so players can anticipate where the new information is appearing. Maybe you can keep it all contained in one window with a breadcrumbs navigation at the top?

If you want to keep the separation of the sideview and topdown view of the ship, maybe you can really make a whole menu out of the parts selector, place it in the middle and show the ship above and below?

In any case, those are all just suggestions. Wanna play dat game!

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
today I worked on implementing velocity smoothing and a first try at skidding!

https://i.imgur.com/mVTXiK1.mp4
(don't worry, I turned the smoothing way up for testing and I swear I'm not gonna have ice physics by default)

still a lot to be tweaked about the animation and particle effect, and there are some more things I want to do as well (like a little bit of running in place when you go from idle to full run, like in Mario 64) but I'm pretty happy that I got the general idea right. One thing I gotta figure out is making the code that turns the player around happen simultaneously with the skid, because right now it's off by a single frame and it shows :v: I tried bodging a solution by waiting to turn around for a frame but that just makes the skid sometimes happen the wrong way for a single frame. Maybe I can do the transition to skidding manually and then let the Animator take it from there.

Lanth posted:

Also, now that I see it in motion, I really like the signs over the ghosts heads!
This is starting to become colorful. I could probably animate the question/exclamation marks themselves at some point, but there's more important stuff for now.
it's great! :ghost: I kinda miss the light-up ghosts though. A combination maybe? As for animating the marks you could just give them a very simple bobbing up and down animation that loops, I think it would make everything a bit more lively.

looking wonderful though :spooky:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Lanth posted:

Seeing it animated really highlights the impression of the floating windows (apparently) not following a set position though, and I need to readjust where I'm looking while navigating the menus

Yeah, I would maybe try to put the windows in a consistent place like at the top of the screen, and just swap out which windows are visible, so the ship is always visible. The windows popping up and going away feels a little weird.

Feels like there's more room between the two ship views than there needs to be too, so maybe you could scrunch them together or shrink them slightly and then just have a permanent area for the selection and always have the ship visible?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Your Computer posted:

today I worked on implementing velocity smoothing and a first try at skidding!

https://i.imgur.com/mVTXiK1.mp4
(don't worry, I turned the smoothing way up for testing and I swear I'm not gonna have ice physics by default)

Just so much character in that little dude :3:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Zaphod42 posted:

Feels like there's more room between the two ship views than there needs to be too, so maybe you could scrunch them together or shrink them slightly and then just have a permanent area for the selection and always have the ship visible?

This is in part because some ships are bigger than others and some parts are taller than others. The ship designer always uses the same scale, so a bigger ship takes up more space and make require scrolling. That said, of course I can zoom in further / tweak the scaling to compact things more.

Here's an Iowa-class hull and its bridge, which are the largest ship and structure I've currently modeled:

The bridge is so tall that it actually gets cut off -- there's more "off-screen" from the side-view camera's view.

One of the reasons I wanted to keep a consistent scale is that there are some small parts that you may want to put on even large ships, such as searchlights and anti-aircraft weapons. If they're so small that they're borderline invisible, then the UI gets harder. I guess I could include zooming controls...

And yeah, those windows really are all over the place, aren't they?

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Lanth posted:

The signs should probably face the camera and not rotate with the ghosts, at least if you're gonna use a question mark.

Lanth
Jun 15, 2007
Lipstick Apathy

Olive! posted:

The signs should probably face the camera and not rotate with the ghosts, at least if you're gonna use a question mark.

I actually tried that, but I could not wrap my head around the right world coordinates and it screwed up every time...
Might try it again though, you're right.

Your Computer posted:

it's great! :ghost: I kinda miss the light-up ghosts though. A combination maybe? As for animating the marks you could just give them a very simple bobbing up and down animation that loops, I think it would make everything a bit more lively.

looking wonderful though :spooky:

Thanks! I definitely need to rework the ghost somewhat as it currently has three materials since the "visible through walls" shader screws up with just one... argh.
Gonna try re-implementing it though.

I was kind of surprised at first the marks didn't animate with the ghost although they are parented, but then I remembered I made the animation in Blender and not in Unity.
:shrug:

I could lose myself in these little things all day every day.

Lanth fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Oct 19, 2019

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Easy solution there is to just make the signs spin.

Lanth
Jun 15, 2007
Lipstick Apathy
Alright, so I tried out all the suggestions and turns out they work pretty well together!
Guess I needed some nudging to retry some of the stuff I failed at before for whatever reason, but all these little animations add a lot of character.

- Made the marks spin / look at the camera (kind of, guess it doesn't play too nice with isometric)
- Made the ghosts flash in their alarm colors again (red's tough for emission)
- Made the marks bounce up and down a little

I guess I could try to correct the angle on the marks but it being kind of skewed looks more entertaining, but we'll see how annoying it gets while playing.

Thanks goons!

edit: and here it is during play. Looks kind of goofy and looking at the camera barely works, but gently caress it, it's charming.

Lanth fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Oct 19, 2019

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Looking good!

I know the dithering and limited color selection is because you're converting to GIF, but I think it's kind of a neat aesthetic. I'm sure you could find a postprocessing effect that cuts you down to 256 distinct colors and adds a ton of dithering.

Here's an update on the ship designer UI:

https://i.imgur.com/4l9FFGC.mp4

I like the spotlight effect; I think it goes a long way to making the designer feel like it's at a drafting table. But it does create some issues. The UI panels can't be blue without being obviously inconsistent with the shaded blue background; in order to fix that, I'd have to put the UI actually into the scene, which sounds like a bunch of fiddly pain to me. And there's some fairly obvious and weird-looking shadows under the parts. That might be fixable by upping the ambient light level, but that worsens the vignette effect from the spotlights since they have to be dimmer to compensate. Maybe I should look into a postprocess effect to do the vignetting instead of using spotlights?

I also added zooming in/out. Currently that's unbounded; it just halves/doubles the cameras' orthographic sizes. It also doesn't try to keep the cursor in the same physical position, because I started trying to do the math and decided my brain wasn't up to it today.

If you look closely, the part preview camera isn't fully contained by its frame, because the frame has rounded corners and the camera doesn't. Any suggestions for handling that? Render to texture, use a shader to mask out the corners, then use that texture in an image element? That sounds kind of irritating, but I can't think of anything better...

al-azad
May 28, 2009

You should definitely use post processing for handling vignette effects, it basically costs nothing in performance. And yeah, I would look into using screen space camera or world to ensure the UI matches the scene. Overlay is best for static menus.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If you look closely, the part preview camera isn't fully contained by its frame, because the frame has rounded corners and the camera doesn't. Any suggestions for handling that? Render to texture, use a shader to mask out the corners, then use that texture in an image element? That sounds kind of irritating, but I can't think of anything better...

I think you could do this in a single pass just rendering normally with a shader that alpha's out the corner pixels?

Overall looks good. The light does indeed give a drafting table feel. I'd make the light falloff take a little longer, its pretty dramatic light/dark right now but I guess it does give the table spotlight feel strongly.

The consistent menu positions feels like an improvement :) having them fold out left seems good too, more predictable for the user so your eyes aren't bouncing around.

Trying to think of how to improve those windows. Maybe like a blue-black gradient background? Maybe put like a US NAVY watermark on it or at the top of each? (or FICTIONAL COUNTRY NAVY or w/e)

megane
Jun 20, 2008

That already looks dramatically better. If you want to give some texture to the windows, you could always just use a nice dark-tinted paper texture. Drop shadows behind text and windows always help things look polished, as well.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

al-azad posted:

You should definitely use post processing for handling vignette effects, it basically costs nothing in performance. And yeah, I would look into using screen space camera or world to ensure the UI matches the scene. Overlay is best for static menus.

How would you handle that, given that the menus and other UI elements span across a space covered by two cameras? As far as I can tell, if your canvas is in screen space-camera or world space, it's only visible to a single camera. Indeed, even if I did make the UI a physical object using some kind of render-to-texture shenanigans, I'd still have this problem. But I really don't want to give up on the simultaneous top- and side-views; they're really useful especially when dealing with parts that take up space underneath the deck.

Zaphod42 posted:

I think you could do this in a single pass just rendering normally with a shader that alpha's out the corner pixels?
Yeah, that's what I meant by a shader to mask out the corners. Have a texture that's white where the camera should be visible and black elsewhere, multiply the camera's output by the texture.

quote:

Overall looks good. The light does indeed give a drafting table feel. I'd make the light falloff take a little longer, its pretty dramatic light/dark right now but I guess it does give the table spotlight feel strongly.
Unfortunately as far as I can tell there's no way to control the penumbra of spotlights. :(

quote:

The consistent menu positions feels like an improvement :) having them fold out left seems good too, more predictable for the user so your eyes aren't bouncing around.
Agreed. I'm considering animating the stats stuff when it appears...though that might be excessive. Certainly it's not necessary at this stage.

quote:

Trying to think of how to improve those windows. Maybe like a blue-black gradient background? Maybe put like a US NAVY watermark on it or at the top of each? (or FICTIONAL COUNTRY NAVY or w/e)

Gradients are a pretty good idea. I suspect that trying to use official navy insignia would get me into trademark/copyright trouble though. And the player is a member of the US Navy. Maybe I can invent an official-looking insignia, though...hell, I have no idea what the actual Navy iconography looks like, this stuff just has to look plausible.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Unfortunately as far as I can tell there's no way to control the penumbra of spotlights. :(

Spotlights in Unity HDRP have an inner radius and outer radius. I know that doesn't help much if you're not using HDRP. Maybe you could use a cookie? You could also bring the light closer and increase the spotlight angle. That should make the penumbra wider, according to the documentation.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/DevSpacePrez/status/1185744143143854080?s=20

Gradients are a pretty good idea. I suspect that trying to use official navy insignia would get me into trademark/copyright trouble though. And the player is a member of the US Navy. Maybe I can invent an official-looking insignia, though...hell, I have no idea what the actual Navy iconography looks like, this stuff just has to look plausible.

As long as it looks like a logo and incorporates a boat anchor and says NAVY it'll be drat close

The official US Navy logos are all eagles holding boat anchors

You can pretty easily come close to that without actually infringing on it.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Yeah, that requires actual, like, graphic design skills...but maybe I can noodle something together.

Meanwhile, I've been trying to mask out the corners of the part preview display. It's getting late so my brain is failing me, but I have this shader set up to do the masking. Currently instead of affecting the alpha, I have it setting the red channel based on the mask texture. That produces this result:

Notice that in the corners of the image, outside the frame, the image looks unaffected by the shader, which is what we'd expect. Similarly, if I set the blue channel to be based on the mask alpha, then the corners look green (the blue is masked out) and the rest looks normal. But if I set the alpha channel based on the mask alpha, then nothing happens! That is, the corners are not masked out. This is my mask texture:

The mask texture's import settings look like this:

I'm stumped. Any ideas? I'ma go sleep on it.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I think it would look way better without rounded corners, actually.

While we're on the subject of graphics, you can't have a rave without an awesome volumetric light show!

I'll make them do more interesting stuff tomorrow.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Everything looks right to me... nothing jumping out as wrong. Shader seems fine...

If you manually set the window alpha to 0 does it all become transparent? Just sanity checking.

Maybe try using the rgb value of the texture instead of the alpha value of the texture. Use a white/black image and as long as you assign it to the output alpha it should have the same result as using the input image alpha. Maybe Unity is doing something weird with the alpha values?

KillHour posted:

Wow, that's a very convincing stage light setup! Super rad. :krad:

I need a second project like a need a hole in my head but I went ahead and started playing around with VR dev just a bit. Dipping my toes in.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Wow, that's a very convincing stage light setup! Super rad. :krad:

It really is and I'm super happy with how it came out. Unity really knocked it out the the park with the lighting in HDRP. If you showed someone the first image and said it was a photo, I bet they'd believe you. There's a little bit of ringing and aliasing but I think with all the other stuff going on, it won't be super noticeable.

quote:

I need a second project like a need a hole in my head but I went ahead and started playing around with VR dev just a bit. Dipping my toes in.

It's so much fun (other than the part where you have to keep putting on and taking off the headset for hours).

The instant gratification of "This is already cool and fun to play with and all I've done is [single trivial thing with physics or graphics]" is so compelling. I've completely stopped development on my usual pipe-dream projects because I know I can actually finish this before I die.

Edit: That's not to say I'm not having idiotic wild dreams about this project. The lights took me like 4 hours because the movement and color change commands are implemented via a central controller issuing commands to each light's queue - just like a real setup. I eventually want to have the ability to use real stage management software to build lightshows that can be played back along with the music so you could create your own virutal concert and share it with people.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Oct 20, 2019

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

But if I set the alpha channel based on the mask alpha, then nothing happens! That is, the corners are not masked out.
shot in the dark here but did you remember to set the rendering mode to cutout? :v:

KillHour posted:

I think it would look way better without rounded corners, actually.

While we're on the subject of graphics, you can't have a rave without an awesome volumetric light show!

I've never messed around with volumetric lighting before but drat that looks impressive

e:

Your Computer posted:

Maybe I can do the transition to skidding manually and then let the Animator take it from there.
you know, sometimes the easiest solution really is the best one and this worked like a charm :v: I know I went through and discovered all of this stuff before with the jelly project but it's a bit of a shame how the Animator can sometimes be a little unreliable. I'm wondering how I'm gonna handle the different player moves.

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Oct 20, 2019

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah, that requires actual, like, graphic design skills...but maybe I can noodle something together.

I had a bit of a side trip into graphic design when I was college age, and no such skill exists. There are a few notable exceptions, but in general they're all faking it.

Google for public domain line art of the thing you want to make a logo of and wiggle pieces around in an image editor until you get something kind of cool.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

If you need a nice emblem design I might be able to help you out.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
crouching!

I've ran into a problem though, or rather, the problem is starting to become too obvious. I rigged the character with IK in Blender and it uses constraints to keep everything in place, but Unity doesn't care about those constraints so when it does its automatic blending between animations it rips the limbs apart like so:

"my hands :stare:"

as I was writing this post I googled "Unity constraints" and found that Unity does have its own constraint system which.... seems like it could solve it?

(position constraint on left hand, nothing on right hand)

is this the right approach or will I run into trouble doing it this way? To be clear I put a position constraint on the bones (heh) themselves, as in the empty transforms. In this case that's a position constraint from Hand_L to Arm2_L_end, the same constraint that I use on the rig in Blender.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I actually think that at the speed shown in that gif, that issue is pretty much not noticeable.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

IronicDongz posted:

I actually think that at the speed shown in that gif, that issue is pretty much not noticeable.

that's my bad for not making it clear - it's unnoticeable in the gif because that transition is manually animated :v: It's the other transitions (like going out of a crouch) that breaks. Here's an example that shows the issue in motion

rapidly crouching and uncrouching which makes Unity automatically blend between the idle/crouching animations

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Been absent from gamedev for a minute, but I'm using devtober to get back into it with a small game. It started out in fusion, but now it's in Unity. It's essentially a really simple Zelda clone with Zelda Randomizer stuff built in aka a Moon Fields single player test.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Your Computer posted:

shot in the dark here but did you remember to set the rendering mode to cutout? :v:
:doh: that was it; hadn't put the shader into the right render queue, nor specified a blend mode. Thank you!

Reiley posted:

If you need a nice emblem design I might be able to help you out.

Thank you for the offer, and I might well take you up on it! I feel kinda obligated to at least try to make something myself first though. It's just my first gut reaction was "I have to draw something?" :v: Forgetting of course that I do in fact know roughly how to draw things, I'm just super-rusty at it.

anothergod posted:

Been absent from gamedev for a minute, but I'm using devtober to get back into it with a small game. It started out in fusion, but now it's in Unity. It's essentially a really simple Zelda clone with Zelda Randomizer stuff built in aka a Moon Fields single player test.

This is looking really nice! The player's sprite is kind of muddy with all the equipment they have on, but I kinda like it in a way. Reminds me of this drawing of Link with every piece of gear from the first game:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
so here's something I'm surprised I can't find a good answer to - scene transitions, how do you do 'em properly?

all I want is something that looks kinda like this, but in a way that scales and doesn't lag terribly:
https://i.imgur.com/Vm1NYpB.mp4

as you can see it lags on first load and on loading the bigger scene with things in it. It also doesn't scale with different resolutions and the image isn't even properly centered due to the way I did it. I feel like this shouldn't be as hard as it is, but I just don't know how to do it properly and I can't find any reliable and working info. Essentially the problems I'm trying to solve are:

- Stencil that can be animated to move/scale/rotate around with everything outside it rendered black (right now the skull is actually surrounded by a huge area of black pixels in order to cover the screen, this makes it impossible to center or scale/rotate the skull properly and also makes it stretch with screen sizes)

- A way to trigger the fade out animation, determine when the animation is done before loading the next scene

- Wait for the scene to fully load before triggering the fade in animation to avoid the stutter

:doh: that was it; hadn't put the shader into the right render queue, nor specified a blend mode. Thank you!
:pram: sometimes it's the simplest things

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Your Computer posted:

so here's something I'm surprised I can't find a good answer to - scene transitions, how do you do 'em properly?

I wish I knew how to load a scene in Unity without immediately transitioning to it. As far as I can tell its asynchronous scene-load is meant to be used for things like animated loading screens, not for loading stuff in the background.

I guess what I'd do though is something like:
  • When the loading trigger is hit, render the current view to a texture.
  • (optional) Pop up a "loading" text in the corner.
  • When the next scene is loaded, it loads with that texture overlaid on top of it (use a RawImage with a material set to use the texture).
  • Skull-fade the texture away to see the new scene.

That won't stop the loading lag, but it should at least make things consistent.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Unity has an option to load the scene in the background without actually moving you over to it and it has a way of checking if it's done. You can start that process at the beginning of the fade out and don't do the fade in until you see that everything is loaded.

https://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/SceneManagement.SceneManager.LoadSceneAsync.html

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

KillHour posted:

Unity has an option to load the scene in the background without actually moving you over to it and it has a way of checking if it's done. You can start that process at the beginning of the fade out and don't do the fade in until you see that everything is loaded.

https://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/SceneManagement.SceneManager.LoadSceneAsync.html
It works :toot: can't tell if I'm doing it right or it will cause problems down the road though. Like, do I have to worry about unloading the previous scene?

I wish I knew how to load a scene in Unity without immediately transitioning to it. As far as I can tell its asynchronous scene-load is meant to be used for things like animated loading screens, not for loading stuff in the background.

I guess what I'd do though is something like:
  • When the loading trigger is hit, render the current view to a texture.
  • (optional) Pop up a "loading" text in the corner.
  • When the next scene is loaded, it loads with that texture overlaid on top of it (use a RawImage with a material set to use the texture).
  • Skull-fade the texture away to see the new scene.

That won't stop the loading lag, but it should at least make things consistent.
I actually considered using a render texture for the skull effect since it's easy to use the UI with a stencil over another image (just not the screen itself) but that would make every transition a freeze-frame and I don't want that :negative:

I'm wondering if the proper solution would be to write another shader and do some UV trickery or something but honestly I wouldn't even know where to start. Maybe there's a way I could do a two-camera setup where everything outside of the skull doesn't get rendered? Again not sure where I'd start though :v:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

KillHour posted:

I swear when I tried calling that it transitioned to the new scene automatically. What I thought would be available would be something that says "start loading this scene, let me know when you're done, then I call this other function to switch over to the new scene." So for example, while the player is looking at the level intro cutscene, I can start loading the level itself, but I won't transition to the level until the player clears the final dialog box.

Maybe I'm not understanding how to use it correctly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I swear when I tried calling that it transitioned to the new scene automatically. What I thought would be available would be something that says "start loading this scene, let me know when you're done, then I call this other function to switch over to the new scene." So for example, while the player is looking at the level intro cutscene, I can start loading the level itself, but I won't transition to the level until the player clears the final dialog box.

Maybe I'm not understanding how to use it correctly.

https://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/AsyncOperation-allowSceneActivation.html

KillHour fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Oct 20, 2019