Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/TheCinemassacre/comments/djcsr3/talked_to_ryan_at_egx/

idk if any of this is confirmability but it sounds like james and co severed all ties with doug.

One of the people in that comment thread wrote over 2000 words defending the honor of Channel Awesome and calling the OP fake news. :yikes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Junpei Hyde posted:

is it time for me to post an effortpost about which shitposters I hate so I get demodded yet
just chain probate one of them until they start a qcs campaign against you

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Junpei Hyde posted:

is it time for me to post an effortpost about which shitposters I hate so I get demodded yet

Am I one of those shitposters?

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Eh, and then I'll complain about it and FAU will probate me.....

Wait a minute.. he's not an admin anymore! :getin:

Oh yeah, I heard about that. What happened to get FactsAreUseless demodded? Was it a thing like with Lornekates where he posted a two-thousand word list detailing his reason for probating someone? (which is what I assume Junpei is alluding to?)

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Max Wilco posted:

im just kidding i love all of you

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Junpei Hyde posted:

it is if you want a fire thunder driver

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Max Wilco posted:

Oh yeah, I heard about that. What happened to get FactsAreUseless demodded? Was it a thing like with Lornekates where he posted a two-thousand word list detailing his reason for probating someone? (which is what I assume Junpei is alluding to?)

There's some discussion of it in the SA Sagas thread, somewhere around here:

FactsAreUseless posted:

I'm done. I just want to be the one to post it in this thread.

e: that last bit was a joke but frankly it sounds off anyway

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Max Wilco posted:

there was an e/n saga that went to complete and utter real poo poo. FAU was 100% done afterwards

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Max Wilco posted:

Enough people noticed that the former E/N mod, Bobbie Wickham, actually kind of sucked and liked projecting her personal issues onto E/N posters and generally be weirdly controlling about people she'd claimed as her projects, and FAU felt like he'd poorly handled the whole matter since the last time this came up when Bobbie made the entire FabGoon thread hate her enough to decamp to a different subforum.

The QQCS thread about it is here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3897141. There's some more details in it about different ways Bobbie was not a great mod, if you want any more.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Oct 20, 2019

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
so what i'm getting from this thread is that i should watch hunter x hunter already

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Mr.Radar posted:

One of the people in that comment thread wrote over 2000 words defending the honor of Channel Awesome and calling the OP fake news. :yikes:

yeah i saw that one too. lol

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

The pud seems to have it out for Allison Pregler, because of course they would. So many creators on the net get harassment but she seems to get some of the worst.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Nuns with Guns posted:

Enough people noticed that the former E/N mod, Bobbie Wickham, actually kind of sucked and liked projecting her personal issues onto E/N posters and generally be weirdly controlling about people she'd claimed as her projects, and FAU felt like he'd poorly handled the whole matter since the last time this came up when Bobbie made the entire FabGoon thread hate her enough to decamp to a different subforum.

The QQCS thread about it is here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3897141. There's some more details in it about different ways Bobbie was not a great mod, if you want any more.

That summary works fine for me. Initially, it came across like FAU had a huge meltdown, but it seems like he just stepped down as a mod.

-

Anyway, I meant to post this yesterday, but LGR put up a video on Doom II: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNtHwWVXbDI

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Max Wilco posted:

He just stepped down, but you’re forgiven for assuming that he was forced out for doing something stupid or crazy since that’s almost always how it happens. In fact, fellow former admin R. Guyovich got de-adminned a short time later due to loving genocide denial, almost as if to preserve the status quo.

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

https://twitter.com/Calliethulhu/status/1185675535353073664
Nice to see the truth but man it is heavily smh.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Wow cool who coulda guessed

https://twitter.com/Calliethulhu/status/1185675541992660992

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Junpei Hyde posted:

im just kidding i love all of you

prove to me you love me by giving me a sixer

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Dapper_Swindler posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/TheCinemassacre/comments/djcsr3/talked_to_ryan_at_egx/

idk if any of this is confirmability but it sounds like james and co severed all ties with doug.

All good stuff.

It was a nice surprise to see Screenwave at EGX - had a very brief chat with Ryan. Nice dude,, can confirm hat he's very shy but seems chill.

That bloody Cybermorph boss in AVGN II though.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i have read the last few pages and still dont understand what the gently caress is happening. like i know contra was lovely towards None binary folks and apologized but maybe/kida/idk didn't and now people are "demanding accountability" toward her friends or something. and what the gently caress is breadtube?

"Bread"tube is, I think, referring to YouTube-videos about food.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

'Breadtube' is a super lame feeling name and I dislike it more every time.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i have read the last few pages and still dont understand what the gently caress is happening. like i know contra was lovely towards None binary folks and apologized but maybe/kida/idk didn't and now people are "demanding accountability" toward her friends or something. and what the gently caress is breadtube?

Left wing version of the Sceptic Community

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Dapper_Swindler posted:

okay, so Contra made a thread that was sort of about how binary trans people and nonbinary people have different needs, regarding pronouns, and although the Pronoun Circle thing could be a positive development, it made her feel bad by drawing attention to her transness. there was some sarcasm and hyperbole that did not translate well.

then there was a backlash

then she defended herself by saying there was a generation gap, and that she was, and I quote, an "old school transsexual"

both legitimate criticism and bad faith harassment followed. She deleted her twitter account. Later she reactivated, but claimed the account would be run by someone named Gwen, who had never been mentioned before. Opinions are divided as to whether Gwen even exists.

anyway, fast forward to her most recent video. Her oblique reference to the controversy is pretty flippant, but whatever, that's not really the issue. The issue is that, as she often does, she has quotes from authors read by special guests. and one of those guests was Buck Angel, a FTM adult film star. who is pretty vocally a transmedicalist, anti-nonbinary, and a friend of Glinner.

before people started to get really mad, Olly, who also did a voice in the video, tweeted about how proud he was to be involved in it. people got upset, which was a bit unfair, because it's not particularly likely he knew anything at all about Buck Angel at that point in time. I mean, it's impossible that Natalie didn't know. but as a cis straight man, trans community drama is outside his area of expertise.

but anyway, fast forward further, he makes a joke about how Natalie's going to get him cancelled, which was also not taken well, but now there had been enough time for things to actually percolate.

further fast forward, he makes another ambiguous, flippant tweet.

Is it fair for him to be the subject of criticism now? uh, not really. It's mostly about how people hoped maybe he would take this seriously, and given the otherwise radio silence, the little he did tweet could be read as a dismissal of the controversy. he just should have maintained complete silence. If all of Natalie's friends say nothing for long enough, the non-binary people on Twitter will just give up eventually. None of us have the attention span to hold outrage for very long. it goes somewhere else pretty quickly.

the lesson of all this is DON'T TWEET

ABSOLUTELY DO NOT TWEET.

Twitter was a mistake. when the revolution comes, Jack Dorsey will be against the wall and the servers will be smashed to bits.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

The Lindsey Ellis XOXO talk is pretty useful for understanding the logic of why no one is tweeting about it. It details the playbook for handling twitter storms. Once you reach this level, it's harmful to engage the crowd in any way, so just not tweeting is the best thing for everyone.

Never tweet.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Bug Squash posted:

Once you reach this level, it's harmful to engage the crowd in any way

All it takes is "Truscum are horrible" or something though, harmful is making GBS threads out dismissive smarmy tweets at a group of marginalized people feeling further trampled on.

And just not saying anything makes you look complicit when it comes to extremely valid gripes like what's going on. :shrug:

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

I think it's noteworthy that Ollie's mentions are full of people saying "I smell smoke". Both Olly and Natalie have created a following by teaching their audience to notice and engage with social issues, and that's exactly what their audience is doing now. They're repeating back the lessons they've been taught, only to be met with frustration when their concerns are dismissed.

It all just reveals how much influence content creators have, and how it isn't healthy for them or their audiences

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Bug Squash posted:

The Lindsey Ellis XOXO talk is pretty useful for understanding the logic of why no one is tweeting about it. It details the playbook for handling twitter storms. Once you reach this level, it's harmful to engage the crowd in any way, so just not tweeting is the best thing for everyone.

Never tweet.

Which is why Olly is getting the most attention besides Natalie , he didn't follow that playbook, instead posting things that could be taken as glib comments on the current thing.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

So nobody's actually being cancelled for this, right? how the gently caress is this still going on.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Farm Frenzy posted:

So nobody's actually being cancelled for this, right? how the gently caress is this still going on.

The power of dumb can perpetuate meaningless arguments for a long long time.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Farm Frenzy posted:

How the gently caress is this still going on.

Because Contra decided to tease some puppetmaster junk and philosophy tube dude decided to be a prick.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Wait a minute.. he's not an admin anymore! :getin:

And here I thought the mod situation on this website was unsalvageable!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Farm Frenzy posted:

because the people involved keep being pricks and the people being affected by it keep going 'this fuckin sucks'? Like, why do people keep trying to make this sound super complicated and hard to understand?

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Ms Fuchi posted:

I think it's noteworthy that Ollie's mentions are full of people saying "I smell smoke". Both Olly and Natalie have created a following by teaching their audience to notice and engage with social issues, and that's exactly what their audience is doing now. They're repeating back the lessons they've been taught, only to be met with frustration when their concerns are dismissed.

It all just reveals how much influence content creators have, and how it isn't healthy for them or their audiences

Or. more accurately,y their behavior is making a mockery of their own advanced positions.

quote:

then she defended herself by saying there was a generation gap, and that she was, and I quote, an "old school transsexual"

Which was particularly infuriating, (A) as it was basically appropriating the suffering of that age segment (the real OG trans folks got hit bad by AIDS), (B) a common truscum canard; it was also particularly risable coming from her, given how short a time she had been out comparatively, particularly when some of the ones objecting had been out more then a decade more then that janey come lately, coming on top of a recognizable pattern:

https://twitter.com/MerylSKavanagh/status/1185779537856126976

It may settle, but it will be back as soon as she does something lovely again (which she will), and grow further... particularly given what she promises in that video. Buck Angel was deff something a lot of folks will not forget.

quote:

Never tweet.

What do you call this then?

https://twitter.com/thelindsayellis/status/1185632471506833408

StratGoatCom fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Oct 20, 2019

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
Unfortunately these people are all very sick, very ill

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I thought Lindsey's point about clearing out your twitter mentions was a pretty good idea.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

sexpig by night posted:

because the people involved keep being pricks and the people being affected by it keep going 'this fuckin sucks'? Like, why do people keep trying to make this sound super complicated and hard to understand?

It feels like people are way too angry about this for it to just be the people involved being pricks. Normally when someone like a chapo host says something stupid it doesn't get more than a day of takes. I'm genuinely confused.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

The XOXO talk is really good, and she goes over this there. I think it's better to watch it than me paraphrase it here.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

everything is bad forever

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Her following her own advice from the talk.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Solitair posted:

so what i'm getting from this thread is that i should watch hunter x hunter already
And read(not watch) one piece, the greatest media this world has ever known

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
In other news, Allison, Phelous and Film Brain were on the Every Day podcast yesterday to talk about Event Horizon.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/every-day/id1436540406

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

watho posted:

everything is bad forever

CATS hits theaters on December 20, 2019. Things will be better then, everyone just needs to survive for now