Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Alec Eiffel posted:

It's like those Twitter threads where someone attempts to expose the seedy underside to some historical moment as if there aren't dissertations and books aplenty on the subject and they've only just found out about it and assume everyone else is equally ignorant.

Wow this post is really blowing up. While you're here please donate to my patreon page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Everyone knows we won the Vietnam War and beat the bad guys... but did you know some historians had a different take??

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Alec Eiffel posted:

It boggles my mind that a bunch of people think it's hilarious that there is a movie called "The Ugly Dachshund" (or any other example from these Twitter posts) as if these movies haven't always existed for most of them. These people act like they discovered some amazing treasure trove of comedic or obscure titles but it's goddamned Disney.

It's like those Twitter threads where someone attempts to expose the seedy underside to some historical moment as if there aren't dissertations and books aplenty on the subject and they've only just found out about it and assume everyone else is equally ignorant.

To be honest, you sound like you're angry that people have never heard of obscure cultural references from your childhood.

The fact is, most of these movies have been forgotten for a reason. Many of them aren't good, and haven't held up over time. They're not lost treasures, and just because there is some trove of awareness of these somewhere doesn't mean that the rest of society are morons for having never heard of them.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
This kinda fell under the radar, but Netflix put out Sion Sono's new film, The Forest of Love, and it's a full-on, ultraviolent, maximalist spiritual sequel to Cold Fish; the epitome of Sono's well-honed style. It's loving gnarly and pretty soul-numbing and really good

MasterSitsu
Nov 23, 2013

https://twitter.com/Disney_PIus/status/1184265938100723712?s=20

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Wait, what?

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Nihonniboku posted:

To be honest, you sound like you're angry that people have never heard of obscure cultural references from your childhood.

The fact is, most of these movies have been forgotten for a reason. Many of them aren't good, and haven't held up over time. They're not lost treasures, and just because there is some trove of awareness of these somewhere doesn't mean that the rest of society are morons for having never heard of them.

Nah, dawg, I was born in 87 and haven’t seen any of these movies, but I’ve heard of nearly all of them because they’re made by a major studio. And certainly I wouldn’t go onto the web and be like “Y’all ever heard of this? ‘The Apple Dumpling Gang?’ Pretty funny right.”

This is with regard to people would even purchase Disney+. They would probably be familiar with these garbage live-action movies, more so than anyone.

Edit: I guess I am mad because the jokes aren’t funny and they’re invading my personal space.

Alec Eiffel fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Oct 16, 2019

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

A good lad who likes his Anna's.
oh it's a parody lol

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Alec Eiffel posted:

Nah, dawg, I was born in 87 and haven’t seen any of these movies, but I’ve heard of nearly all of them because they’re made by a major studio. And certainly I wouldn’t go onto the web and be like “Y’all ever heard of this? ‘The Apple Dumpling Gang?’ Pretty funny right.”

This is with regard to people would even purchase Disney+. They would probably be familiar with these garbage live-action movies, more so than anyone.

Edit: I guess I am mad because the jokes aren’t funny and they’re invading my personal space.

You’re being weird hth

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Just wait until everyone rediscovers That Darn Cat.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Paul ReiserFS posted:

You’re being weird hth

Yeah.

I probably should've led with: I work in a video store and we have two or three used copies of that Kurt Russell/Disney 4-movie pack, which I took to mean that it was both ubiquitous and lovely.

wormil posted:

Just wait until everyone rediscovers That Darn Cat.

There was a remake with Christina Ricci!

Alec Eiffel fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Oct 16, 2019

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Alec Eiffel posted:

There was a remake with Christina Ricci!

With a kickin' rad ska theme!

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
In the Tall Grass

I can't honestly come up with how I feel about it. It was unsettling and I don't know if I enjoyed it or not.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Honest Thief posted:

In the tall grass is from the cube director so I'm a bit letdown over the reviews

I mean, Cube is completely nonsensical from a plot standpoint too. It's just that In the Tall Grass doesn't have Cube's bizarre aesthetic and "ancient pagan evil" is less interesting than "self-aware bureaucracy creates Hell in the form of a never-ending infrastructure project."

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I mean, Cube is completely nonsensical from a plot standpoint too. It's just that In the Tall Grass doesn't have Cube's bizarre aesthetic and "ancient pagan evil" is less interesting than "self-aware bureaucracy creates Hell in the form of a never-ending infrastructure project."

It's also missing a bit of the down-to-earthness of everything. Cube took place in an unknown place, with weird characters, but the consequences and dangers were immediately understandable. You pretty much understood the stakes and the setting right from the get-go, then the additional rules were spelled out and revealed over time in a way that felt natural. One of the many, many reasons why Cube 2 was so terrible was that when you start messing with supernatural elements that affect time and space, you lose all sense of consequences. In the Tall Grass had a similar issues with some of the elements that they used in the field, in my opinion.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Episode 9 of Wu-Tang An American Saga dropped on Hulu today.

If you're not watching this series, you're missing out. Not going to stop hyping this show because it's the best thing aired this year easily. It's so loving good.

We also need a Wu-Tang Kung-Fu show now after this episode. That poo poo was hilarious.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Philthy posted:

If you're not watching this series, you're missing out. Not going to stop hyping this show because it's the best thing aired this year easily. It's so loving good.

We also need a Wu-Tang Kung-Fu show now after this episode. That poo poo was hilarious.

Is this showtime thing? If not does anyone know how to watch it in Canada?

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

rngd in the womb posted:

Watched The Lives of Others on US Netflix last night, and I'm going to think about this movie for a long time. Watch it, yall!

Its end perfectly. Not a line wasted.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Tim Whatley posted:

Disney+ made a Twitter thread flexing on basically everything coming to the service on launch day.

Rest assured we can all relax because Brink will be there on day one.

https://twitter.com/disneyplus/status/1183715553057239040

There is some amazing animation in snow white (the well water near the start comes to mind immediately), but in a vacuum it's awful and a chore to sit through

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Starks posted:

Is this showtime thing? If not does anyone know how to watch it in Canada?

It's not as far as I know. It's a Hulu original.

Next week is the final episode of the season!

If they don't renew it, I'll know what Firefly fans felt.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

The Righteous Gemstones is a documentary.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Everyone should watch Righteous Gemstones,it’s so good.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

veni veni veni posted:

Everyone should watch Righteous Gemstones,it’s so good.

Omg every interaction with The sister and her boyfriend make me die laughing. I’m dead now because of BJ’s ear ring.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

beanieson posted:

Omg every interaction with The sister and her boyfriend make me die laughing. I’m dead now because of BJ’s ear ring.

They're both on an episode of the Comedy Bang Bang podcast from a few months back along with Adam Devine. Absolutely hilarious.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Beandip is one of my favorite CBB characters. Absolutely ridiculous.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Philthy posted:

Thanks for the heads up. I just got in to their music a year ago. I was majorly in to Tool and NIN and Radiohead so I gave them a pass when I was younger but a docu about them seems interesting.

Same thing with Compton I guess. Never thought I’d shed a tear for Easy E

Now ODB

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Wow, Eli is loving baaaad

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

veni veni veni posted:

Wow, Eli is loving baaaad

Very bad

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
I watched timetrap today and it was better than it should have been. Interesting premise and an unexpected ending since I was sure they’d somehow just reset everything back to normal

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Holy moley ATT&T TV Now (Directv Now) is raising prices again. $50-->65 and $70-->80.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Jose Oquendo posted:

Holy moley ATT&T TV Now (Directv Now) is raising prices again. $50-->65 and $70-->80.

These big telecom mergers come down like some kind of mafioso is running the place.

Ma Bell is rolling in her grave.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I honestly don't know why anyone would sub to that poo poo in the first place. You can get Prime, Hulu, Netflix and HBO for less than that combined

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

I honestly don't know why anyone would sub to that poo poo in the first place. You can get Prime, Hulu, Netflix and HBO for less than that combined

None of which provide live sports. YouTubeTV is a much better deal though.

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

A good lad who likes his Anna's.
anything good spooky or horror movies streaming on netflix/prime?

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

old.flv posted:

Ever check flixable.com ?

Meanwhile try Living with Yourself

There are some spooky moments I’m like 3 shows in

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

old.flv posted:

https://www.polygon.com/2019/10/11/20908495/best-horror-movies-netflix

https://www.polygon.com/2019/10/18/20918406/best-underrated-horror-movies-streaming-netflix-amazon-shudder

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

My wife is interested in watching it so, without spoilers if possible, why is Eli so bad?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

old.flv posted:

Hatchet movies are on Prime. Also checkout Microwave Massacre if in the mood for some cheese.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Thanks for the heads up. I just got in to their music a year ago. I was majorly in to Tool and NIN and Radiohead so I gave them a pass when I was younger but a docu about them seems interesting.

Same thing with Compton I guess. Never thought I’d shed a tear for Easy E

Now ODB

No problem. I'm not sure how true to life this show is, but they're all involved with it. Before this show I'd never even listened to any of their music and it still hooked me. It has what makes character shows so good, they're all well done, and there is a lot of mayhem going on. Drug deals gone bad, the Italian mob, murders, record execs being assholes, huge parties, and then their personal lives in-between it all. And of course trying to find time to make beats and rap in-between just trying to survive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

10 Beers posted:

My wife is interested in watching it so, without spoilers if possible, why is Eli so bad?

It's premise is held together by lazy writing
And the premise is drat lazy

Upsidads fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Oct 21, 2019