Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

the camera moves :aaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Hwurmp posted:

Yeah I really didn't expect so much evolution in something akin to an FMV game! This is neat.

OutofSight
May 4, 2017
I kind of miss Todd McCormick's Gage. Whatever he may lacked in acting ability, he was kind of a unique non-white goony action hero with a pony tail.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

The mindwipe sent him from :smug: to :shepface:

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
There's a lot I love about this game: while we'll have to wait until we are further down the story before I can comment, the ones I can mention are the great production values that can already be seen with the cutscenes and the environments, and the overall tone the game has already from the beginning. The interface is also extremely clean and easy to use.
If I remember correctly you can set Arthur's chattiness so that he will automatically comment without having to click the little thought cloud icon.
As for the new microphone, the audio levels seem to be good already in this first video.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Hwurmp posted:

The mindwipe sent him from :smug: to :shepface:

Not so smug about a mindwipe when it catches up to you, eh Gage? (Actually, I do kind of love that this game actually addresses that losing time like that would be genuinely traumatic.)

Hwurmp posted:

The interface is SO much improved in JMP3, as is the level of environmental detail.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Anticheese posted:

Yeah I really didn't expect so much evolution in something akin to an FMV game! This is neat.

It's a clever way to do it with the technology at the time; Looks like it's still a static render, but each spot is a fisheye panorama so you can look around in every direction.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
We finally see the Cyrollans!

Hwurmp posted:

everyone posted:

interface!
4 was cancelled, but I wonder if things had progressed enough that it could've made the jump to full 3D movement like a lot of first person adventures have since done.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Wow, it's amazing to see how far the series has come since the first game. Again it's peak 90s budget sci fi, and in the best possible way - trying in earnest and despite its flaws coming off well and managing to be really entertaining. I remember seeing adverts for this game when it was newly released and now feel like I really missed out!

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
Presto Studios had the rights to a fourth game, from what I understand it was almost completely written and designed, but they put it on hold to concentrate on Myst III: Exile.

quote:

"Whacked! for Xbox was Presto Studios' final title before closing its doors shortly afterward. Though still in decent financial shape, Presto was facing an uphill challenge in the transition from the PC to console game market. The directors of the company anticipated a rapidly shrinking PC game market and decided to close the company while it was ahead. A significant number of the creative staff moved on to high-profile roles in motion picture and animation production.

Which is fair enough, I can't blame them for going out on their own terms and advancing their careers in other media.

OutofSight posted:

I kind of miss Todd McCormick's Gage. Whatever he may lacked in acting ability, he was kind of a unique non-white goony action hero with a pony tail.

I will miss his smug face, he seemed like he was having a lot of fun with the role.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
I didn't mean to double post but I forgot to mention that the upload schedule will be changing a little for the next week or so. I'll be visiting my daughter in Scotland from Thursday to Sunday. I'll try to record two or three episodes on Monday as I won't really have a lot of free time afterwards until the weekend after the next.

radintorov posted:

If I remember correctly you can set Arthur's chattiness so that he will automatically comment without having to click the little thought cloud icon.
As for the new microphone, the audio levels seem to be good already in this first video.

I did consider it, I left at the default setting to begin with but I will switch it to the automatic mode for the next video. It'll be much more convenient to have Arthur ramble on automatically when he sees a specific hotspot, I'll turn it on during the next recording.

Thank you for the feedback, I appreciate it!

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Similarly, I don't speak for anyone else but I reckon you don't have to exhahust all of Atrhur's hint lines either. They tend to be much the same kind of thing but him outright telling you the solition to the puzzles makes the game feel kind of wrong. Hace a good trip!

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

Gage has just been told that he is under contract to appear in a third JMP game, doesn't he look excited? I have genuinely fond memories of this game and I'm excited to get this started. The first eleven and a half minutes are compromised of two intro videos and some key events appear quickly during the short game time. I'm still trying to get used to the new mic so it may take me a little while to tweak things into something more balanced. And I know that I've said it before but I will try to update the bios this weekend.

You didn't mention it but Daughton is also a different actor than in Buried.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Wow, serious upgrade to the in-game stuff. Also dig the new Chameleon Suit, it's less of a small spacecraft(or timecraft, I suppose) and more of an actual suit.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

In this episode, we explore the other time zones to find the remaining time codes and we get to see another eight-minute video sequence. The next video will be up on Sunday when I return from Scotland.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Okay.

I have been waiting 20 years for an explanation for this.

HOW DID SHE DO ANY OF THIS? Seriously, I know it's the tutorial and all setting up the main storyline and all that, but this is a plot hole I feel deserves some attention. Somehow, Agent 3 goes to Shangri-La, El Dorado, and Elliot Sinclair's space prison, goes back to the first two and Atlantis to leave her time code bread crumbs - ALL WITHOUT HER JUMPSUIT - leaves her cryptic notes with Arthur (without him knowing what she's done), and then somehow gets back to the space prison, where she's waiting for us, completely caught up on the whole aliens thing.

I just - HOW.

:psyboom:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Time travel.

:v:

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Fighting Trousers posted:

Okay.

I have been waiting 20 years for an explanation for this.

HOW DID SHE DO ANY OF THIS? Seriously, I know it's the tutorial and all setting up the main storyline and all that, but this is a plot hole I feel deserves some attention. Somehow, Agent 3 goes to Shangri-La, El Dorado, and Elliot Sinclair's space prison, goes back to the first two and Atlantis to leave her time code bread crumbs - ALL WITHOUT HER JUMPSUIT - leaves her cryptic notes with Arthur (without him knowing what she's done), and then somehow gets back to the space prison, where she's waiting for us, completely caught up on the whole aliens thing.

I just - HOW.

:psyboom:

She was in the suit during the opening sequence and from what I understand, she set everything up before she sent the signal to the future and abandoned the suit. How she did all of this without Arthur's knowledge eludes me at the moment but it is clear that she has been messing around with him as she's overridden his program several times. Michelle abandoned the suit before sending the signal back to the TSA, how she found a way to travel through time without the suit but also by using the suit is something I'm unclear on yet too. But it is clear that she has been collaborating with Sinclair who had some pretty strong opinions on the Symbiotry, he is also the inventor of time travel and it seems like he has seen a few things too.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
It's interesting that by the way the writers expanded Sinclair's backstory, he's now presented in the same light as Agent 3 in that both of them were traumatized by their experiences, which led them to make some really questionable decisions believing to be only solution they could find. And now both were together when Gage arrived.

Edit: it might be possible that she used the jumpsuit to travel to the various locations but left it behind when it was time to write down the coordinates? It doesn't really explain how she ended up with Sinclair without one unless she messed with Arthur's memories like it was suggested above, or if she had access to another Pegasus time machine. I wonder if the writers were ever asked about it.

Edit 2: thinking about it more, messing with Arthur is the one explanation that has the least number of plot holes: if Arthur was modified to not remember those specific details or prevented from seeing outside the suit, she could have just placed those time code fragments at her leisure, jump to the prison colony and then make the jumpsuit travel back and cloak, causing the time distortion wave.
After all we don't know how much time passed for her between the initial discovery of Atlantis and causing the time distortion wave. And when we meet Arthur again the jumpsuit was in a different position and orientation from where she left it in the opening movie.

radintorov fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Oct 16, 2019

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I am highly put-off by the happy motorcycle helmets

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment
Especially given that you're getting recorded communications from Michelle at each time destination. You sent her suit back to TSA, so the most likely way you would have been getting those messages would have been from Arthur's memory.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

I figure she got around using the suit, but ditches the suit ASAP to actually do stuff without having to constantly argue with Arthur, before returning to it to time jump again. Meanwhile Arthur has seen enough to understand "yeah this is pretty significant and whoever the TSA sends needs to see it" and is at least going along with the follow the breadcrumbs part of Visard's plot.

edit: I do get a feeling that they're trying to hurry the plot along a bit much - I think it fits together fine, but they're certainly not connecting any dots for the player or giving the player much time to do it for themselves. Perhaps the infodumpy start to JP2 and aiming for a significantly expanded new audience by having a demo packaged with Riven had something to do with this?

Fish Noise fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Oct 16, 2019

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

To steal a line from Destiny, there isn't enough time to explain why there isn't enough time. Now quick, go backwards in time!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
There's actually an issue with continuity; Buried in Time is meant to be relatively soon after the first game, and the Time Suits are from ten years in the future. Legacy of Time is only set two months after Buried in Time for Gage.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I'm glad none of this mattered when I went into JP3 cold having never played 1/2 like I've mentioned before, I think? This thread has been an education.

all of that just sailed right overhead and I got to enjoy it hassle free :v:

e: it made for some unintentional humor when Arthur shows up and is like IT'S ME, REMEMBER? and both Gage and myself were thinking "...no?"

Psion fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Oct 16, 2019

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment

Neddy Seagoon posted:

There's actually an issue with continuity; Buried in Time is meant to be relatively soon after the first game, and the Time Suits are from ten years in the future. Legacy of Time is only set two months after Buried in Time for Gage.

Two months after for Future Gage though, not past Gage. #2 starts later in the same year as #1, and #3 as best as I can make out is a few months after Future Gage is exonerated, 10 years after #1.

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

Albu-quirky Guy posted:

Two months after for Future Gage though, not past Gage. #2 starts later in the same year as #1, and #3 as best as I can make out is a few months after Future Gage is exonerated, 10 years after #1.

It would be logical this new Gage is the Gage from ten years in the future.
After all the discussion in the media (you have read those news broadcasts in "Buried in Time?) what humanity should do with time travel technology and the crisis with the Krynn a shutdown of the TSA would be expected at this point.

OutofSight fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Oct 16, 2019

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Albu-quirky Guy posted:

Yeah, Gage wakes up in his apartment after the events of JMP1, is commandeered by his future self to solve a time crime, solves said time crime with Arthur, gets sent back to that morning after JMP1, gets mindwiped, and goes about the next ten years of his life blissfully unaware of the whole thing. Then he's accused of a time crime, comes up with the bright idea to have his past self solve it, commandeers his past self, sits out the events of JMP2 waiting for his past self to clear him, is cleared, and now realizes he doesn't remember anything that happened the first time around.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

She was in the suit during the opening sequence and from what I understand, she set everything up before she sent the signal to the future and abandoned the suit. How she did all of this without Arthur's knowledge eludes me at the moment but it is clear that she has been messing around with him as she's overridden his program several times. Michelle abandoned the suit before sending the signal back to the TSA, how she found a way to travel through time without the suit but also by using the suit is something I'm unclear on yet too. But it is clear that she has been collaborating with Sinclair who had some pretty strong opinions on the Symbiotry, he is also the inventor of time travel and it seems like he has seen a few things too.

She didn't send a signal to the TSA, she just left the jumpsuit in the past which caused a change in the timeline like in the first game (which the TSA detects). Presumably in the new timeline it would've been found by one of the alien races since we were told by Arthur the island never gets discovered by humans. Gage just doesn't need to go through the process of getting the Journeyman disc and comparing historical records anymore for some reason.

As for travelling without a suit we know the jumpsuits can take other people with them, like in this latest update and in the Buried in Time opening. Maybe they can be set to send someone through time without travelling with them (it would have to be a one-way trip though).

whitehelm fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Oct 16, 2019

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Given we know time travel's safe to do without protection from the first game, most of the JP2 suit's probably to do with hermetically sealing the wearer in and concealing them from observation. As well as lugging around the time-travel equipment.

Burzmali
Oct 22, 2013

whitehelm posted:

She didn't send a signal to the TSA, she just left the jumpsuit in the past which caused a change in the timeline like in the first game (which the TSA detects). Presumably in the new timeline it would've been found by one of the alien races since we were told by Arthur the island never gets discovered by humans. Gage just doesn't need to go through the process of getting the Journeyman disc and comparing historical records anymore for some reason.

As for travelling without a suit we know the jumpsuits can take other people with them, like in this latest update and in the Buried in Time opening. Maybe they can be set to send someone through time without travelling with them (it would have to be a one-way trip though).

Probably for the same reason that they don't need to use the Journeyman Project to time travel anymore, they've improved the process. There's really no need for a person to make the trip, with more precise jumps, a drone could pop in, grab a thumb drive and return to drop it in slot for analysis.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Given we know time travel's safe to do without protection from the first game, most of the JP2 suit's probably to do with hermetically sealing the wearer in and concealing them from observation. As well as lugging around the time-travel equipment.

The first game did have a "bio-suit," we just never really saw it from the outside.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

PurpleXVI posted:

The first game did have a "bio-suit," we just never really saw it from the outside.

You do, actually; When it's put on in the holographic display, and in the death images. It's a simple bodysuit with exposed head and hands.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You do, actually; When it's put on in the holographic display, and in the death images. It's a simple bodysuit with exposed head and hands.
hell, they're probably still wearing some iteration of the biosuit under the jumpsuits, look at what Agent 3's wearing and the sheer number of comments Arthur has about bodily functions while in the null time pocket.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

In this episode, Gage starts to explore Atlantis and greets several of its residents. It seems like it's going to take some time to get used to with Arthur in automatic mode.

For reference, JMP1 took place in 2308, JMP2 in 2318 and in JMP3 the current year is 2329. I would join the debate further but I haven't been home too long and I've already re-recorded this episode. I spent far too long looking for an object, that I didn't find in the end, in the previous recording.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

At the rate things are going, it might be best just to set Arthur back to normal and keep an eye on his icons and prompt him manually. IIRC he has comments that only come up when you look in certain directions or at certain objects, so even looking around at the scenery isn't a totally safe time to talk, might as well go back to having complete control instead of like... oscillating between bomb defusal tension over whether Arthur's going to interrupt you and "oh poo poo I missed one"

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Fish Noise posted:

At the rate things are going, it might be best just to set Arthur back to normal and keep an eye on his icons and prompt him manually. IIRC he has comments that only come up when you look in certain directions or at certain objects, so even looking around at the scenery isn't a totally safe time to talk, might as well go back to having complete control instead of like... oscillating between bomb defusal tension over whether Arthur's going to interrupt you and "oh poo poo I missed one"

I may just do this, the automatic mode doesn't always trigger so I'm still manually clicking on it quite often.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Why worry about changing history in a place that's going to be destroyed? May as well just march down that windmill and say "I AM YOUR GOD, BEHOLD MY POWER, ALSO PLEASE HELP ME SOLVE THIS CASE I'M WORKING ON."

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Hwurmp posted:

Why worry about changing history in a place that's going to be destroyed? May as well just march down that windmill and say "I AM YOUR GOD, BEHOLD MY POWER, ALSO PLEASE HELP ME SOLVE THIS CASE I'M WORKING ON."

A lot of people had big, pointy weapons and were slightly more serious about their religious beliefs back then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

For reference, JMP1 took place in 2308, JMP2 in 2318 and in JMP3 the current year is 2329. I would join the debate further but I haven't been home too long and I've already re-recorded this episode. I spent far too long looking for an object, that I didn't find in the end, in the previous recording.

Where did you get this? The first link I found searching for a timeline says JMP1 is in 2318 and the other 2 in 2329. 2308 is when the Cyrollans first showed up and told Earth they had 10 years to decide whether to join the Symbiotry.