Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Junpei Hyde posted:

the lindsay one is the only good one tbh
i dont disagree with a lot of it but ''a community that jumps at every possibility to apply the worst interpretation of any perceived transgression' is just a dogshit thing to say when you break down what she means by 'community' (she means nb people)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

I expect nothing and yet I keep getting disappointed

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Arist posted:

I'm really not sure what most of you expect here.
'buck angel is a shithead, i support nb people, im not gonna stop being friends with contrapoints but you're free to criticize her'

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Endorph posted:

i dont disagree with a lot of it but ''a community that jumps at every possibility to apply the worst interpretation of any perceived transgression' is just a dogshit thing to say when you break down what she means by 'community' (she means nb people)

tbh trans twitter community toxicity kinda put me into a suicidal place mentally before i deleted so I kinda get it

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Endorph posted:

'buck angel is a shithead, i support nb people, im not gonna stop being friends with contrapoints but you're free to criticize her'

Seriously, this. How is this so hard.

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

Nope, Lindsey's right.

gently caress this thread.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSY7XH_WW8U

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

One Piece was always just the animé the brother watched years and years ago. It's sounding like I should maybe try and pick it up (the manga I mean)? I did get turned onto Berserk and JoJo by something awful, so the track record is good for manga recs here.

Dovi
Feb 21, 2013

At least she didn't plug her new video

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

A lot of sensible stuff is being touched on in this post, but there is one thing in here that I simply cannot agree with: the notion that ContraPoints' deferral of this controversy until her next video is a perfectly good decision. If she has plans to cover the Buck Angel situation in her next video, that's fine. But to use that as a bulwark against concerns which should be addressed as fast as reasonably possible is not the right response. Featuring a transmedicalist in one's video is a pretty bad thing to do, and to content-ify your clarification of that decision is kind of slimy. It also means that Buck Angel's inclusion in Opulence is going to go completely unchallenged/undefended/underclarified for weeks, which is a big problem. The sanctity of the next ContraPoints video should not be given precedence over the need for this controversy to be properly responded to.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Arist posted:

I'm really not sure what most of you expect here.

I dunno, not complete garbage like 'HOW MANY TIMES DOES SHE NEED TO SAY SHE SUPPORTS NB PEOPLE YOU UNGRATEFUL SWINE' when the point is regardless of how many times she says that this keeps loving happening.

Like, whatever, who gives a poo poo, youtube clout means more than walking the walk when it comes to support of marginalized group. It's super easy to make a video about nonbinary people's dignity and monetize it but when it comes to maybe just saying 'yep she hosed up there' and not getting on a loving cross over it that's too much effort to ask. No one's 'isolating' Contra or whatever but the convo has to be centered around that complete non-issue instead of what happened because despite this martyr act she and her friends are actually the ones with the platform who reach people.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

JordanKai posted:

A lot of sensible stuff is being touched on in this post, but there is one thing in here that I simply cannot agree with: the notion that ContraPoints' deferral of this controversy until her next video is a perfectly good decision. If she has plans to cover the Buck Angel situation in her next video, that's fine. But to use that as a bulwark against concerns which should be addressed as fast as reasonably possible is not the right response. Featuring a transmedicalist in one's video is a pretty bad thing to do, and to content-ify your clarification of that decision is kind of slimy. It also means that Buck Angel's inclusion in Opulence is going to go completely unchallenged/undefended/underclarified for weeks, which is a big problem. The sanctity of the next ContraPoints video should not be given precedence over the need for this controversy to be properly responded to.

it makes a lot of sense when you realize the unifying feature here is that #content is the most important thing, not actually doing what's right.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

sexpig by night posted:

I dunno, not complete garbage like 'HOW MANY TIMES DOES SHE NEED TO SAY SHE SUPPORTS NB PEOPLE YOU UNGRATEFUL SWINE' when the point is regardless of how many times she says that this keeps loving happening.

Like, whatever, who gives a poo poo, youtube clout means more than walking the walk when it comes to support of marginalized group. It's super easy to make a video about nonbinary people's dignity and monetize it but when it comes to maybe just saying 'yep she hosed up there' and not getting on a loving cross over it that's too much effort to ask. No one's 'isolating' Contra or whatever but the convo has to be centered around that complete non-issue instead of what happened because despite this martyr act she and her friends are actually the ones with the platform who reach people.
yeah, like, 'how many times does she need to clarify her positions on nb people' presumably as many times as she keeps making weird unforced errors about them?

nobody forced her to make a lovely tweet blaming them for dumb poo poo cis people do, nobody forced her to collab with buck angel. those are things she did herself. ellis's entire point is that you don't know youtubers, which is true, so why is contrapoints owed faith that she isnt lovely about nb people?

people expecting her friends to stop talking to her are morons poisoning the well but that doesnt justify acting like people are somehow not giving contrapoints the good faith she's owed for thinking its lovely to associate with buck angel

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb
One Piece is the best and a lot of folks on Twitter need to read "Conflict Is Not Abuse"

watho
Aug 2, 2013

youtube and twitter are the biggest arguments for anarcho-primitivism

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
also one piece is good and the anime has a bunch of tl;dr summary bits to make up for the length I'll fight everyone in this thread today

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Has anyone posted Pushing Up Roses` review of a Murder, She Wrote episode mocking Friends?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGgVXH2-9WU

Funny stuff and good editing, as usual.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

sexpig by night posted:

also one piece is good and the anime has a bunch of tl;dr summary bits to make up for the length I'll fight everyone in this thread today

I dunno, maybe I've been growing old but the last few arcs have kept adding new characters with intense backstories that reading weekly it wore me and my memory down.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Big Joel's videos on cartoons are always good but his Trolls video was a bit of a misfire. What point was he trying to make? I am simply not sure.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

sexpig by night posted:

imo it can just be hard to sift through the bloat for the good stuff and summaries only do so much to help that

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Stormgale posted:

I dunno, maybe I've been growing old but the last few arcs have kept adding new characters with intense backstories that reading weekly it wore me and my memory down.

alright you're the one person I won't fight because as much as I do like the kinda weirdly political intrigue twist things have gone in I am a little tired of every other storyline involving some new herb all 'AND THIS IS HOW I WAS TORTURED FOR THE FIRST FIFTEEN YEARS OF MY LIFE' and then we only barely see them after.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

speaking of nonbinary people and shonen action manga, nabari no ou is cool, fairly short at only 14 volumes, and by a nonbinary author. it digs into that stuff a bit but its also just a decent manga with some cool characters, i recommend it

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

sexpig by night posted:

alright you're the one person I won't fight because as much as I do like the kinda weirdly political intrigue twist things have gone in I am a little tired of every other storyline involving some new herb all 'AND THIS IS HOW I WAS TORTURED FOR THE FIRST FIFTEEN YEARS OF MY LIFE' and then we only barely see them after.

Yeah individually all the characters are good but we are so deep into the story adding stuff like the babyman with his intense backstory and then going to wano and explaining everything is like.

I only have so much brain

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Endorph posted:

The so-called trans "community" (which, lol, isn't by any definition a community) on twitter is a snake pit of useful idiots and actual psychopaths that uses an extremely thin veneer of uwu acceptance to peddle the worst kind of telephone-game Mean Girls horseshit I've ever seen. It has absolutely driven people to the edge of suicide, probably ruined a couple lives, and the big names in it are constantly rotating as voices gain prominence and then get cancel-harassed into leaving social media.

This is the group Lindsay is talking about and it absolutely deserves scorn.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

The so-called trans "community" (which, lol, isn't by any definition a community) on twitter is a snake pit of useful idiots and actual psychopaths that uses an extremely thin veneer of uwu acceptance to peddle the worst kind of telephone-game Mean Girls horseshit I've ever seen. It has absolutely driven people to the edge of suicide, probably ruined a couple lives, and the big names in it are constantly rotating as voices gain prominence and then get cancel-harassed into leaving social media.

This is the group Lindsay is talking about and it absolutely deserves scorn.
you can remove the first 13 words of this

and associating all criticism with it is bad, which imo the whole 'how many times does she need to explain herself' thing does. by virtue of how that's phrased it implies that nobody should be criticizing her for the buck angel thing because she's somehow made her stance clear, but the entire reason this is blowing up is because people don't trust that stance. not just the community you're talking about, but just normal people who are kinda hurt by the association with angel. and her entire point is that youtubers aren't people you know and you shouldn't devote any like, trust or emotional investment to them. so why is she owed that faith

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

One Pace seems to be the ideal way to watch the anime at this point. Though I heard they got a new Director for the Wano arc so maybe it won't be some bloated ill-paced thing.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

My point is, the corollary to "you don't know YouTubers" is "they don't know you." I think people are absolutely right to get angry about the Buck Angel situation. That said, the personalities involved are just people without PR machines working for them who need to stay engaged with their audiences for the purpose of their livelihood. They literally cannot turn this poo poo off. There's no way to filter out any of what they're receiving, which is not to say they shouldn't be receiving it for these statements.

And of course they're going to close ranks, because they're friends and need to support each other. Maybe it's bad for everyone in this community to be so tight-knit, but it's what's happened. When I say, "I don't know what you expect," it's not me saying your standards are too high. It's me saying I don't think there's another way this could have gone. I'm still disappointed that it's come to this.

Also One Piece is amazing.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Endorph posted:

you can remove the first 13 words of this

The twitter trans community deserves to specifically be called out because it’s insanely toxic even compared to the rest of the site. It’s like GBS in that way

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

if my constant "twitter bad" posting has genuinely upset anyone I apologise, but I can only really speak from the perspective of someone who got on trans twitter, got driven into deep depression, left and then achieved a better overall mood

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

watho posted:

The twitter trans community deserves to specifically be called out because it’s insanely toxic even compared to the rest of the site. It’s like GBS in that way

ok its not gbs tier bad unless gbs has gotten worse since i last checked

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Junpei Hyde posted:

if my constant "twitter bad" posting has genuinely upset anyone I apologise, but I can only really speak from the perspective of someone who got on trans twitter, got driven into deep depression, left and then achieved a better overall mood

The smartest thing I've ever done is not get into trans Twitter. I have friends who I stay in touch with via Twitter who are also trans but I stay out of tht poo poo unless one of them does a dumb thing and pokes the bee hive

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Waffles Inc. posted:

Jesus this one loving sucks too. Astonishing how easy it is to rhetorically ignore everything if you hide behind the specter of parasocial relationships and convince people that your content and your beliefs aren’t necessarily the same thing

Some unbelievable poo poo here

Don’t you have friends? Is it really a surprise that people who care about each other resent the strange investment they get from people watching them over a screen? The reason this looks unreasonable from the outside is that everyone watching has built a whole person out of whatever is publicly visible, but there are whole people there who we’re not able to see.

It’s loving weird to get mad at a strangers because they won’t do what you want. What would an apology give you? Would it do political work, or would it be reassurance that you exist because you could make a stranger acknowledge you? You exist either way and the connection between you and a stranger is exactly nothing.

Would you really do half as well as contrapoints if you lived her life? I would not. I probably would have reacted much worse to almost everything from the start of the channel. These are just people and it’s loving weird to make requests of them. Lindsay Ellis says in her xoxo talk that she was institutionalized. I can’t imagine the kinds of stressors involved in that, but it sure would affect the way I relate to the world. And it tells me that there’s a lot more going on than what anybody posts.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

tbh I prob shouldnt get invested in this convo too much cause ill do something stupid

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I mean tbh I don't think 'trans twitter' matters too much to the topic of 'contra keeps loving over nb people, nb people got mad, yea some shitheads acted like shitheads but she still did actually hurt people and should probably acknowledge that for once'. It feels like the 'trans twitter can suck' derail is a sideshow, I don't even disagree but it just feels like a distracting thing. It's like trying to talk about black twitter drama if a bunch of black people on twitter said 'hey maybe don't have Richard Spencer on your video'.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

watho posted:

For real. It's especially bad compared to other parts of the bird hellsite because it specifically sells itself on being open and inclusive and understanding, but then you peel back the surface and its essentially rainbow helldump.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Don’t you have friends? Is it really a surprise that people who care about each other resent the strange investment they get from people watching them over a screen? The reason this looks unreasonable from the outside is that everyone watching has built a whole person out of whatever is publicly visible, but there are whole people there who we’re not able to see.

It’s loving weird to get mad at a strangers because they won’t do what you want. What would an apology give you? Would it do political work, or would it be reassurance that you exist because you could make a stranger acknowledge you? You exist either way and the connection between you and a stranger is exactly nothing.

Would you really do half as well as contrapoints if you lived her life? I would not. I probably would have reacted much worse to almost everything from the start of the channel. These are just people and it’s loving weird to make requests of them. Lindsay Ellis says in her xoxo talk that she was institutionalized. I can’t imagine the kinds of stressors involved in that, but it sure would affect the way I relate to the world. And it tells me that there’s a lot more going on than what anybody posts.

It's still an incredibly lovely dismissal of all criticism as being unreasonable because some criticism is unreasonable

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Would you really do half as well as contrapoints if you lived her life? I would not. I probably would have reacted much worse to almost everything from the start of the channel.
I mean, I probably wouldn't have a shithead in my video, that I know is a shithead, for the vague purpose of a video to be revealed later?

Like I'm not asking her to be a perfect person, I just don't think 'if you do not agree with a prominent guy's very prominent political positions, either do not have him in your video or go 'oh, my bad' if you do put him in a video.' Otherwise people will associate you with that person. If she does not want to be associated with that guy, then don't associate with him? I don't think these are like, unreasonable asks or holding her to an impossible standard. It's a pretty normal standard. You have a big audience, you put someone in front of that audience and pointed out that you put him in front of that audience, people reacted to you putting him in front of that audience.

People escalating it to the level of mass DMing her friends are stupid, mind.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
It is the twitter trolley problem.

You can apologize for something your friend did and make the 10 honest people in the hate mob feel better. But when you do that you give validation to the 1000s of assholes who take it as permission to attack all your friends and family.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

VictualSquid posted:

You can apologize for something your friend did and make the 10 honest people in the hate mob feel better. But when you do that you give validation to the 1000s of assholes who take it as permission to attack all your friends and family.

you may have the ratio a bit off there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

VictualSquid posted:

I mean, no, I really doubt it was 1000's and no that doesn't 'validate' them, anyone who does that stuff will do it anyway