Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Glagha posted:

I finally finished this game a while ago and maybe it's just because of the sort of social media I follow but I feel like a lot of the complaints I heard specifically leveled at the final boss were a little overstated. Like, he's hard. Definitely the most demanding boss in the game but... I beat it in I think just over an hour of straight attempts and I feel like I struggled way more with other things in the game than him. It felt really good and difficult but I dunno why people who got through the entire game to him seemed to have like, controller hurling frustration directed at him at that point after getting through everything in the game.

From comments I see about people struggling to beat him I suspect the reason if often because they're too cautious, only attacking when there's 100% safe windows of opportunity and turtling the rest of the time, which ends up making the fight much harder because the trick to beating him is overwhelming his relatively fragile posture bar through constant pressure rather than slowly chipping down his HP entirely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Regy Rusty posted:

This comes up a lot but the numbers don't bear it out at all. Bloodborne sold 2 million. Uncharted 4 sold 15 million. Horizon and God of War sold 10 million.

From games very much ride the line of niche-mainstream. They're well known and they'll push fans to buy systems but in no way are they tentpoles.
I havent felt this wrong in a while

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

Glagha posted:

I finally finished this game a while ago and maybe it's just because of the sort of social media I follow but I feel like a lot of the complaints I heard specifically leveled at the final boss were a little overstated. Like, he's hard. Definitely the most demanding boss in the game but... I beat it in I think just over an hour of straight attempts and I feel like I struggled way more with other things in the game than him. It felt really good and difficult but I dunno why people who got through the entire game to him seemed to have like, controller hurling frustration directed at him at that point after getting through everything in the game.

I was mostly annoyed with having to start the fight over against his first form Genichiro each time. The first form is fairly easy, but has a completely different tempo than the other three forms so it's easy to screw up.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

multijoe posted:

From comments I see about people struggling to beat him I suspect the reason if often because they're too cautious, only attacking when there's 100% safe windows of opportunity and turtling the rest of the time, which ends up making the fight much harder because the trick to beating him is overwhelming his relatively fragile posture bar through constant pressure rather than slowly chipping down his HP entirely.

Hesitation is defeat.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Isshin is definitely a lot better to fight if you throw all caution to the wind and mash that attack button.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

Tarezax posted:

Hesitation is defeat.

Not the Messiah
Jan 7, 2018
Buglord
FINAL BOSS IS KILL.

Brilliantly enough I actually just read the last few posts about always being on the attack and applied that to the last two stages instead of just the first two. Worked a treat. Eventually!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

No Wave posted:

What do you think the odds are that PS5 gets a 60fps bloodborne?

I have a strong feeling that Bluepoint is doing exactly this.

No Wave posted:

From games are absolutely mainstream, and I think Bloodborne is sony's most successful exclusive by a mile.

Nope, it's in the top 10, maybe number 5 even. But it is a huge reputation title and that means something.

Spiderman and God of War are Sony's best selling exclusives, and Days Gone has almost outsold Bloodborne's entire 4-year haul in less than 6 months.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

confetti is farmable from the pajamas samurai inside the upper ashina castle area. it helps to have rung the demon bell/ taken the drops up skill but yeah you can get a bunch from it

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
A Let's Play of the game has recently started on these venerable forums, in case anyone wants to follow along and bless the LP thread with insightful comments.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I’m trying to figure out how the Hirata attack and the three following years went down.

Some stuff seems intentionally unclear. We don’t know why Wolf was away. One of the hiding NPCs makes a big deal out of it, so it seems significant. Future DLC fuel?

Owl is the one who killed Wolf, and he was working with the Interior ministry. Is there significance to Jugou the Drunk still being alive in Owl’s memory after Wolf seemingly killed him?

Was Wolf with Kuro during the three years since, or was Wolf just wandering in a fugue for three years? I’d the former, it seems significant that we never learned anything about the circumstances of his kidnapping. If the latter, was he in the custody of the Interior Ministry for a while?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The game just doesn't provide a satisfactory answer for the 3 year gap. We've got exactly zero information to go on for what happened in between.

E: Though for part of your question about the Drunkard, neither memory is a reflection of what actually happened as they are changed by the present player's actions. Wolf just didn't kill him in reality.

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Oct 20, 2019

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Dr Christmas posted:

I’m trying to figure out how the Hirata attack and the three following years went down.

Some stuff seems intentionally unclear. We don’t know why Wolf was away. One of the hiding NPCs makes a big deal out of it, so it seems significant. Future DLC fuel?

Owl is the one who killed Wolf, and he was working with the Interior ministry. Is there significance to Jugou the Drunk still being alive in Owl’s memory after Wolf seemingly killed him?

Was Wolf with Kuro during the three years since, or was Wolf just wandering in a fugue for three years? I’d the former, it seems significant that we never learned anything about the circumstances of his kidnapping. If the latter, was he in the custody of the Interior Ministry for a while?

I strongly suspect it’s a combination of the following:

The initial memory versus the Owl version are the same events but cobbled together from new perspectives + some degree of magic. So you don’t kill the drunk guy twice, you just fight him in two versions of the same scenario.

I suspect the game is mistranslated in some aspect or they otherwise didn’t consider how significant that time gap is. Or, Kuro in some way does not age normally. Or or, they couldn’t be bothered to make more than one Kuro model.

I still maintain that they probably originally meant for the memories to just be conventional flashbacks but then realized the whole prosthetic thing wouldn’t work so they said gently caress it and that a wizard did it and we’re just not meant to ask too many questions about it.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Sekiro brings back a branch of the cherry tree from the dream (which is explicitly a plot point because the tree no longer exists in the reality) so there's some Bloodborne metaphysics going on.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I strongly suspect Kuro is an immortal child, so the fact that he doesn't age is kinda irrelevant. It's also almost certainly several year's time because otherwise Owl wouldn't be so much weaker.

The memory explains how Wolf got the dragon blood initially, it doesn't mean that when he wakes up at the start of the game and "the other day" or whatever it is that Kuro first mentions is referring to him coming back after the Hirata Estate thing.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Lightning Knight posted:

I suspect the game is mistranslated in some aspect or they otherwise didn’t consider how significant that time gap is. Or, Kuro in some way does not age normally. Or or, they couldn’t be bothered to make more than one Kuro model.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

You know, I never noticed how much shorter he is in the flashback. Fair enough.

Although this low angle makes him look comically shorter than he actually is.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

This morning I had Demon of Hatred and Genichiro/Isshin left to beat, and it's kinda funny how much of a weird relief it is to have a normal stand-up fight with deflects and whatnot after the bullshit that was Demon. gently caress that boss.

How does ISS rank in terms of difficulty with the rest of the Soulsborne series? I did Fume Knight (the most difficult DS2 boss IMO) and Orphan of Kos solo, but I think my Slave Knight Gael kill I did coop. I understand Manus is considered the hardest boss in DaS but I never played the DLC unfortunately. I've never played Demon's Souls.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
DeS bosses are really easy with two or three exceptions, and most are more puzzle bosses than stand-up fights.

Gael is probably a bit harder than Isshin but I think it’s between those two for the series as a whole

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

Would probably say that Isshin is below Gael and Kos. I can't for the life of me remember anything about DaS2 despite knowing I also did Fume so ymmv.

e: vvvvv it just never clicked for me on Kos. Gehrman and Maria are pushovers but fishkid just always bowls me over. :(

Kalsco fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Oct 20, 2019

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Orphan is like Gehrman, he's scary if you never learned to parry and trivial if you did

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

got me platinum :getin:

Yeah, Isshin ranks up there. I had to use some divine grass in there somewhere to beat him, and probably all 3 of my res.

I've solo'ed Isshin, Gael, and Kos and I don't care what anyone says they are all complete motherfuckers.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

I remember Gael being very hard, but he never made me question if I was good enough to beat him, unlike Orphan and Isshin.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Mason Dixon posted:

I remember Gael being very hard, but he never made me question if I was good enough to beat him, unlike Orphan and Isshin.

I was on NG+ by the time I made it to him but I remember Gael having a huge moveset full of feints and a brutal punishment of dodge failure. After about 80 attempts I just went to bed exhausted.

I must've done 200 more attempts in my sleep because I woke up the next morning, turned the game on, and destroyed him with a perfect dodge routine and only 2 or 3 uses of Estus. I felt like a god.

I will agree though, Isshin and Orphan are a touch harder. Isshin felt like I had to use every tool in the book and Orphan was just absolute flailing chaos down to the very last hit.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I was on NG+ by the time I made it to him but I remember Gael having a huge moveset full of feints and a brutal punishment of dodge failure. After about 80 attempts I just went to bed exhausted.

I must've done 200 more attempts in my sleep because I woke up the next morning, turned the game on, and destroyed him with a perfect dodge routine and only 2 or 3 uses of Estus. I felt like a god.

I will agree though, Isshin and Orphan are a touch harder. Isshin felt like I had to use every tool in the book and Orphan was just absolute flailing chaos down to the very last hit.

they were all difficult fights, but they never felt unfair or unfun, at least to me. whereas there are plenty of other DS3 bosses that I just summoned someone for and let them beat the crap out of so I could get past it.

I don't think I fought Gael more than like ten times before I won, though. Orphan was probably 30-40 and Isshin was probably 50.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I solo'ed Midir as well, and that was pretty loving hard on NG+

I don't know why I did that to myself.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
The toughest fight in Demon's Soul might be Old King Allant (not to be confused with King Allant)
Mostly because he has that terrible grab that will actually steal a level from you, so if you gently caress up you can easily start fat rolling.
But yeah, that game is the easiest to master, and the only Souls game I could easily do a no death run of.

Personally I'd rank Isshin with Maria in Bloodborne, crazy flashy fights that are satisfying as hell.
I am also someone that had zero problem with Fume Knight in DS2 and find Sir Allone impossible.
:shrugs:

In Sekiro I found the Owl Father fight the hardest, he's just a tricky and dirty fighter.
The demon never seemed as daunting.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Oh yeah, both Owl fights are hard, but Owl Father for sure is one of FROM's tougher foes.

In DeS I always found Maneater to be the hardest.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

I beat Owldad for the first time on NG+ despite being initially skeptical that I could. It’s a challenging fight with some big surprises but if you mastered regular Owl it’s not that bad, he has a lot of the same weaknesses.

The big three bosses in DeS are Flamelurker, Maneater and False King imo.

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

Flamelurker is really quaint by today's standards. I did a playthrough a year or so ago after years of never doing it legitimately (ranged attack with pathfinding exploit). But then after I played, uh, everything other than Sekiro and came back to it and crushed it. Feels like some sort of 1/3rd of the way through a DaS game boss instead of the "probably harder than last boss" it felt like when DeS was its own thing.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

I remember beating flame lurker with a +4 longsword or something similar after Bloodborne because I couldnt be bothered to figure out where to get more upgrade mats.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

Well I beat ISS the first time I got to phase 3. Phase 2 gave me a hell of a time for a few hours though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10lWX-68A8w

I messed up quite a bit: missed mikiri counters that I could have taken advantage of, ate perilous attacks I shouldn't have, and biffed a lightning reversal in phase 3. Plus you can see my seriously bad habit of mashing L1 to deflect when I know there is an attack coming. There was a point where I really wasn't sure I could beat this guy, but when I started getting to phase 2 regularly and learning the attacks I started feeling more confident. To anyone reading this thread that doesn't know if they can beat this game, keep at it! As you can see in the video you can make a bunch of mistakes and still make it through.

Overall I enjoyed Sekiro, but I think I would have liked it a lot more if the rank and file enemies presented a little more of a challenge and the bosses presented a little bit less of one. As it was I was blowing through the content in between bosses but then you hit a boss that is a brick wall miles high. Also the boss and level reuse - you have to fight your way to the idols in Ashina Castle three times, and I fought three Juzous, three Lone Shadows, etc. I do love the combat system and the ebb and flow of offense and defense. As I alluded to before, the way you can spam the deflect button is kind of cheesy though. If you tried to do that in a Soulsborne game you'd get wrecked. Grabs are awful, but thankfully there aren't many of them. Tied in with that are the hitboxes which can be inconsistent. Really good most of the time but then you get a boss (Demon of Hatred!) whose hitboxes are out of control.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I'd argue that Old Isshin is more challenging than Immortal Isshin, despite being more fragile. He is really dangerous, and offers much narrower and less safe punish windows.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Old Issh took me way less time but I think Emma was harder enough to make that combo more brutal

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

I'd argue that Old Isshin is more challenging than Immortal Isshin, despite being more fragile. He is really dangerous, and offers much narrower and less safe punish windows.

He's much less aggressive and has much more predictable moves though. Also only takes two death blows. I think they're pretty equivalent when you're learning them, but once you've got them down I feel like you can reliably beat fire isshin every time, while ISS you could still die to quite easily.

Emma is MUCH harder than Genichiro.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

bike tory posted:

Emma is MUCH harder than Genichiro.

She's also the only one in the game that will anti-air you on the spot if you try to jump at her which still surprises the gently caress out of me.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I just bought this game and am enjoying it so far. I am fighting Lady Butterfly and was wondering is there anywhere else to get snap dragons? I only have the one given to me by the dying man at the entrance to the boss fight.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

RC Cola posted:

I just bought this game and am enjoying it so far. I am fighting Lady Butterfly and was wondering is there anywhere else to get snap dragons? I only have the one given to me by the dying man at the entrance to the boss fight.

There are, but there are very limited amounts to find until way later in the game. You can either come back when you have some more, or learn the fight without having to use them which is what I think most people do. I think you get a tutorial popup right before her room or right as her fight starts regarding the dodge attack? Try that out.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 28 days!

Kalsco posted:

Flamelurker is really quaint by today's standards. I did a playthrough a year or so ago after years of never doing it legitimately (ranged attack with pathfinding exploit). But then after I played, uh, everything other than Sekiro and came back to it and crushed it. Feels like some sort of 1/3rd of the way through a DaS game boss instead of the "probably harder than last boss" it felt like when DeS was its own thing.

Flamelurker is what really shows the rough edges of DeS while From was still working out what would become the Soulsborne formula. Sword and shield is a perfectly viable way to play ~85% of DeS but it falls apart with Flamelurker (doesn’t help that at that point in the game you can even get a fire resistant shield that seems like it would be perfect against Flamelurker but it’s not). Then you try rolling and dodging and it just destroys him. Then you try rolling everywhere else and it’s even better than using a shield.

It feels similar to magic where From seems to have balanced the game around using a bit of magic to support physical combat, but if you go pure magic it actually trivializes most of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

RC Cola posted:

There is one pickup of them you can grab in the snake chasm. Otherwise they don't become readily available until later in the game. But really you don't need them for her at all, they just make it so you don't have to dodge her nastiest attack.