Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Kaethela posted:

Will said changes be permanent or only for this event?

IDK about that specifically, but they've made clear they want to make (permanent) tweaks to mayhem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

CJacobs posted:

And also murdering everybody on the moon with her gigantic fire phoenix thing laser show display because the writers forgot that people live there

Oh god I didn't even think about that lol

Also it amuses me that the characters have to really qualify why they consider Pandora even worth saving every time they talk about it blowing up, because as far as we can tell it's inhabited by nothing by bandits. Seriously, who gives a gently caress if it blows up, there's a whole other galaxy out there to live in.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Also it amuses me that the characters have to really qualify why they consider Pandora even worth saving every time they talk about it blowing up, because as far as we can tell it's inhabited by nothing by bandits. Seriously, who gives a gently caress if it blows up, there's a whole other galaxy out there to live in.

The sun-eating monster inside it maybe?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Not if the Destroyer gets out.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
"it's a hell hole but it's our hell hole."

Riveting justification.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
The Borderlands story is dumb and it doesn't matter.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Mr Scumbag posted:

Honestly I wish they would lean into the dumb instead of trying to make you care about the characters. Like, if the whole game was basically like the entire Pain and Terror sequence in tone, I'd love the story.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I only just started this game so obviously I don't really have anything to contribute there and haven't looked at black bars but my general take is:

BL1 was a pretty barebones story but it worked. It probably had the best tone where it was this awkward mix of dark comedy and seriousness about how Pandora is a godawful shithole.
BL2 had a great story and it could get a little too into its Crazy Whacky Humor and lost that dark depressing undertones of the first game but it still had great moments and was overall a good package. Plus Tiny Tina's DLC was loving dope.
Tales went 500% goofy but it worked for being a Telltale game and it was enjoyable and fun.
TPS is where everything took a sharp nosedive off a cliff. The writing got way too hamfisted for its own good and even when you agree with some of its social commentary it's way to blunt and in your face about it that it's just super cringey.

So far BL3 is alright I suppose? I only just got to Promethea and left off as I landed but nothing feels as atrociously terrible as TPS yet.

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo
I agree. I genuinely enjoyed BL2's story a lot. I'm not trying to say it was Shakespeare, just that it was goofy and fun and made a good backdrop for the gameplay. I've seen a lot of people voice that they didn't like when it swerved into dramatic territory; personally these sequences worked for me, I liked the characters enough to be invested. And yeah, the Tiny Tina DLC was fantastic (the Claptrap DLC from the TPS was also really good, it's just a shame you have to play through TPS to get to it).

BL3's story on the other hand, well, the central narrative doesn't work. The Calypso's motivations are very unclear, they spend most of the game sitting around offscreen doing nothing, then at specific points they teleport in and there's a cutscene where they do some big dramatic thing. But these actions don't have any connection to anything else that's happening in the story or any actions our characters are taking, seemingly they can do whatever they want whenever they want and we are powerless to stop it and it isn't clear why they spend most of the game just sitting around doing nothing. For example, the first major cutscene: we are prepping the ship for takeoff (side-note, we literally JUST arrived at the ship a few minutes prior, there are a few verbal references to it before this but it kinda comes out of nowhere and is completely unrelated to anything we've been doing in the game up to that point), the Calypsos show up to....kill Lilith? And they haven't tried to do this before because... plausibly because we stole their vault key, but they didn't seem to really care about it before this? Tyreen steals Liliths powers and then they are about to kill her, but then don't because...? They teleport out, leaving followers there to kill Lilith. After the cutscene you come in and save Lil, but from that point the Calypsos could teleport in and kill her whenever they want and decide not to because...?

Contrast that with the scene from BL2 where Sanctuary takes off: Jack tricks you into shutting down Sanctuary's shields, this lets him start shelling the city from orbit. This is a major twist, but it fits in with everything that happens in the story prior. You spend the first part of the game getting to sanctuary, meeting the people there, and solidifying it as your home base. Meanwhile Jack periodically checks in to berate you, maybe put a price on your head, whatever; he wants you dead but he's not exactly going to the ends of the earth to get it done. That's why this twist works: we know what Jack wants, we know why he didn't do something like this earlier, we know how our actions impacted the situation, and we care about sanctuary and the people on it.

BL3's story still has some bright spots, a good number of the sidequests and supporting characters are a lot of fun. It's just a shame that the main story line absolutely doesn't work.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan

abaddonis
Mar 4, 2008
While fighting Tyreen, I noticed that the climbing voice of Moze sounds strangely similar to Link in BOTW.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Mr Scumbag posted:

That doesn't mean we're not allowed to discuss and criticize it. It's still part of the game, especially since you can't skip cutscenes or dialogue.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Why would the Calypsos want to stop you when you're essentially doing all the hard work for them? I mean up until Tannis eats the monster instead of Tyreen they are totally whatever on it. They even want you to live because it brings in the views! Except when they don't and try to kill you anyway.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I only just started this game so obviously I don't really have anything to contribute there and haven't looked at black bars but my general take is:

BL1 was a pretty barebones story but it worked. It probably had the best tone where it was this awkward mix of dark comedy and seriousness about how Pandora is a godawful shithole.
BL2 had a great story and it could get a little too into its Crazy Whacky Humor and lost that dark depressing undertones of the first game but it still had great moments and was overall a good package. Plus Tiny Tina's DLC was loving dope.
Tales went 500% goofy but it worked for being a Telltale game and it was enjoyable and fun.
TPS is where everything took a sharp nosedive off a cliff. The writing got way too hamfisted for its own good and even when you agree with some of its social commentary it's way to blunt and in your face about it that it's just super cringey.

So far BL3 is alright I suppose? I only just got to Promethea and left off as I landed but nothing feels as atrociously terrible as TPS yet.

TPS was a different studio iirc

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Big day today, I got my Cryo Lucian's Call earlier for Zane, as well as a Rough Rider. Did a few goes on Slaughter Shafts but couldn't break it until I took my Loaded Dice off. I thought low HP would suit the build but I only needed 2 more goes with a different relic,band still decent drops. I actually found a Cryo Butcher, which is sweet but eats too much ammo for circle of slaughter on its own.

Would really like to get Anointed versions, probably don't have the patience. But with theoretical 100% action skill uptime I can get a lot of milage from it.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

The Shame Boy posted:

Why would the Calypsos want to stop you when you're essentially doing all the hard work for them? I mean up until Tannis eats the monster instead of Tyreen they are totally whatever on it. They even want you to live because it brings in the views! Except when they don't and try to kill you anyway.

My question is why would you even open the vaults in the first place, when it makes so much more sense to hide the keys until after the Calypsos have been dealt with.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Mr Scumbag posted:

The Borderlands story is unskippable.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

Rotten Red Rod posted:

My question is why would you even open the vaults in the first place, when it makes so much more sense to hide the keys until after the Calypsos have been dealt with.
Lilith is dumb, Ava even calls her on it but is an insufferable teen in a room full of adults who are waiting for Lilith to call the shots. It's the unsure leader shtick she was supposed to have gotten over in the Commander Lilith DLC but here we are.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I got the impression that Lilith and Tannis were hoping to consume the power themselves in order to combat the twins

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

DaveKap posted:

I decided to take the extreme stupidity route and actually submitted it as a bug to support. Their answer is that the game is now version 1.0.3 and I'm on version 1.0.2. I just verified the game in the EGS and it's still 1.0.2 so what the gently caress is this support guy talking about.
I got the support guy to admit he "mixed things up" and that the internal 1.0.3 build they have, which isn't released yet, fixes the UI issues. Looking forward to it because as is, it's loving impossible to play this game.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

The Borderlands 2 remaster launched with ui lag and that got fixed so hopefully they can fix this one too.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

Skypie posted:

I got the impression that Lilith and Tannis were hoping to consume the power themselves in order to combat the twins
They didn't know why the Calypso's wanted the vaults until after the events on Promethea, Lilith was in no shape to consume power and Tannis successfully consumed Graveward before the Calypsos got to it, but got yoinked anyways to be sacrificed to the Agonizer 9000.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
gently caress all these secret sirens, maya gang for life

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Lilith has always been terrible at decision making. It started with her shoving an alien artifact into Jack's face instead of just killing him then and there and culminates in BL2 when she explicitly ignores Angel's order to not show up to the Bunker.

Honestly it's a miracle she can even get her pants on correctly.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Turns out that space Diablo has as thin of a premise as terrestrial Diablo. Who knew?

Anyway I've started a Moze playthrough because that's a long ways away from my Amara and Fl4K, and it turns out the splodey weapons are lots of fun. I'm using launchers consistently for the first time in 100 levels! Hordes of grenades! Can't imagine caring about annointments because I'm already barely using the Iron Bear and I'm not even done with Eden-6!

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

How well does Moze's infinite grenades skill work? With Zane, as long as I keep the kill skill up that regenerates one every few seconds, I can almost continually throw grenades and not run out.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Rotten Red Rod posted:

How well does Moze's infinite grenades skill work? With Zane, as long as I keep the kill skill up that regenerates one every few seconds, I can almost continually throw grenades and not run out.

It's not bad but they nerfed it like 2 patches ago so while you technically still have infinite grenades, you don't get them super fast like you used to.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I've been seeing weird behavior where it just doesn't seem to trigger. Could just be RNG, of course.

sfmarine7
Aug 26, 2004
hey, how's it going
Do the circle of slaughter missions count for the 'Do All Sidequests' achievement? As far as I can tell two of those are the only quests I haven't done, but not sure if I'm just overlooking some other quest.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987
I should've just plowed through this game because I just got the Porcelain Pipe Bomb. Is it still good, or is it nerfed trash now?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
^^^ It was fixed, yes.

sfmarine7 posted:

Do the circle of slaughter missions count for the 'Do All Sidequests' achievement? As far as I can tell two of those are the only quests I haven't done, but not sure if I'm just overlooking some other quest.

Yep. So do the Trials

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

Dr.Smasher posted:

I should've just plowed through this game because I just got the Porcelain Pipe Bomb. Is it still good, or is it nerfed trash now?
It's still good, it just doesn't one shot bosses anymore.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
I can't believe Gearbox removed my ability to kill anything with one press of the G key.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Attestant posted:

I can't believe Gearbox removed my ability to kill anything with one press of the G key.
Good thing Cheat Engine can just give you that ability back.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

DaveKap posted:

Good thing Cheat Engine can just give you that ability back.

Or just playing offline, I think. Recurring Hex definitely still crazy, I'm keeping it just for offline Loot Tink farming.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
How do I never fire a shot with Amara? I just want to punch everything to death what's a good build for that?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
https://twitter.com/Borderlands/status/1186281061296177152?s=20

Available October 24th to December 5th

https://borderlands.com/en-US/news/2019-10-21-bloody-harvest-trailer-info/

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I like the idea of timed events like this, but reskinned enemies and a reskinned boss sounds pretty lackluster. Traunt Haunt is not a very inspiring new boss.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Are the guns fun yet in borderlands 3?

The big 2 problems I've always had with the borderlands game is the guns being kind of boring for a loot game and the enemy scaling being so out of whack that the new game+ high level stuff was completely awful.

When the looting and shooting don't encourage me to play to high levels and try to find the coolest guns I feel like I'm really only getting half a game. Is that stuff better this time around?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!

Agent355 posted:

Are the guns fun yet in borderlands 3?

The big 2 problems I've always had with the borderlands game is the guns being kind of boring for a loot game and the enemy scaling being so out of whack that the new game+ high level stuff was completely awful.

When the looting and shooting don't encourage me to play to high levels and try to find the coolest guns I feel like I'm really only getting half a game. Is that stuff better this time around?

The guns and shooting are the best they've ever been. They've done a really good job of making each manufacturer feel unique and you can really adjust your playstyle to weapons you like.