Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

It's the conflict of our age. Traditionalist trans VS non binary trans.

Big trans (played by Mickey Rourke in the movie adaptation) putting pressure on cis content creators to declare themselves.

I can sorta understand Olly chickening out. He has nothing to gain and everything to lose from taking a stance. Wish he would have avoided painting NBs as violent hatemongers. I mean he is a notable leftist celebrity and sifting his email he can probably find 24 hour a day bullshit from rightwingers. I'm not really convinced that NBs telling him to declare himself was any worse than anything else in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Arcsquad12 posted:

So I'm going back to anime chat while I try to dig up some new video content for the other people tired of this conversational minefield.

I've noticed that there's been a distinct lack of book reviewers in the thread, aside from the odd moments when Jenny Nicholson does one.

So, on that front, I'm gonna put out a general recommendation for Krimson Rogue. He used to focus on books that had film adaptions and compare them, to determine which is better, and how good the movie is on its own merits. He seems to have now moved onto more longform reviews of specific books that are, almost always, complete garbage. Like, say, the three books that Onision wrote, or Trigger Warning or The Mister (EL James' one book that wasn't Twilight fanfiction).

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mokinokaro posted:

Oda has outright admitted he had trouble coming up with post timeskip designs for the female crew as he simply isn't as good at drawing women (though he did fine with the women characters in the early arcs)

So we ended up with something really close to their heads being pasted on nearly identical bodies right down to clothing.

My personal guess is that he's adapted things to be easier for him to draw considering the output he's expected to have.

Interesting. Naruto's Kishimoto said he had the same issue. (And it did kinda show.)

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Dabir posted:

The biggest problem with dubs is the massive shortage of voice actors for them, hearing the same voices over and over worsens the experience for me. It's hard to explain why but it just does. That's part of why Cromartie is the best dub, I've never heard anyone in it in anything before or since.

It's pretty much the same situation with Japanese voices unfortunately. Yes their overall talent pool is larger but every production wants the big names for the major roles. If you've got an ear for it you really pick this up.

Japan also has the issue where the voice schools are training everyone to sound like around a dozen voice archetypes so even with the large pool there are a ton of very similar sounding actors/actresses.

Bad acting is definitely harder to notice in Japanese though because it's more likely the actor overacts instead of being monotone.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Hearing familiar voices is my favorite part of dubs honestly. I'm a huge VA nerd though.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Japanese media in general (though not as a rule) embraces hyperbole and exaggeration over subtlety in performances. I feel that's why a lot of anime that tries to convey subtlety in voice acting comes across as monotone, while it's easier to exaggerate your lines when you don't care about that poo poo and you really want to convey a specific, broad emotion as emphatically as possible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgifZjKd6-A
Jim has an Anthem Postmortem

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Arist posted:

Hearing familiar voices is my favorite part of dubs honestly. I'm a huge VA nerd though.

Listening for Keith Silverstein is a unique form of entertainment

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Arcsquad12 posted:

Japanese media in general (though not as a rule) embraces hyperbole and exaggeration over subtlety in performances. I feel that's why a lot of anime that tries to convey subtlety in voice acting comes across as monotone, while it's easier to exaggerate your lines when you don't care about that poo poo and you really want to convey a specific, broad emotion as emphatically as possible.

It likely comes from theater being huge there still.

This emphasis on melodrama, for lack of a better word, also results in dubs that sound ridiculous to English speakers when the acting is actually true to the Japanese. It's a tricky balance for dub direction to hit.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

Interesting. Naruto's Kishimoto said he had the same issue. (And it did kinda show.)

Saw that when I tried to read Fairy Tail. There was one magess who was supposed to be tiny and all the other characters made fun of her for being 'flat'....when she had the exact same build and bust as all other women who were not comically sunken goblin-crones.

I just wanted some actual cool sorcery fights, dammit.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Junpei Hyde posted:

Listening for Keith Silverstein is a unique form of entertainment

Do you listen for all voice actors very often? Ah, what am I saying? Of course you don't.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
dont feel particularly comfortable about disregarding genuine complaints under the rug as just mindless screaming, even if i think chastising everyone who didnt speak up in the 10 minutes following the debacle/decided to stick up for personal friends/the constant twitter engagement of pseudo intellectuals that people regularly fawn over is completely hosed up. Those were some pretty bad apologies and cant help but lol at Teh Freaking Puppetmaster and Check the next video to find out more!!

anyway, black lagoon is the raddest loving show, but i watched in japanese. Turned out to be worth it for revy's frankly insane engrish

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
doing a double take when someone namedrops Ernest Hemmingway in the middle of a shootout with a colombian maid who takes down cartel members with a glock

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Black Lagoon is probably one of the best pieces of action media ever made

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

ArfJason posted:

dont feel particularly comfortable about disregarding genuine complaints under the rug as just mindless screaming, even if i think chastising everyone who didnt speak up in the 10 minutes following the debacle/decided to stick up for personal friends/the constant twitter engagement of pseudo intellectuals that people regularly fawn over is completely hosed up. Those were some pretty bad apologies and cant help but lol at Teh Freaking Puppetmaster and Check the next video to find out more!!

anyway, black lagoon is the raddest loving show, but i watched in japanese. Turned out to be worth it for revy's frankly insane engrish

The problem is that it’s hard to separate them out after a while. If you got ten pounds of ice cream with four pounds of sawdust mixed in, you’d treat it like 14 pounds of sawdust. I can’t blame people for reacting badly to what criticism looks like online. Even a reasonable critique delivered a few thousand times over a week is too much for a human brain to handle.

I don’t know anything about anime but I like Gargoyles.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

I should watch black lagoon

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Black Lagoon isn't bad but the last several episodes are dulllllllll

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Arist posted:

Shoulda ended strong with the Greenback Jane arc, tbh

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Junpei Hyde posted:

i very recently found out its in netflix so if you have that, start your engines

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Junpei Hyde posted:

Yes

Arist posted:

Nah they’re great and they work as a very good bow on Rock’s arc and Revvy trying to speak English is worth it. Also the OVAs don’t work without a them

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

watho posted:

Nah they’re great and they work as a very good bow on Rock’s arc and Revvy trying to speak English is worth it. Also the OVAs don’t work without a them

yeah!

black lagoon is one of the very few times ive read a manga. the series just wont go on until theres enough manga material and i just couldnt wait to see more its gonna be a bit hard to see a desensitized rock since a lot of the appeal was in him being the straight man showing extreme shrewdness here and there despite it all. now it seems like he's gonna be on point 99% of the time. oh well, rocks pretty cool anyway

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Arist posted:

The second season in general just isn't as good as the first. It just goes a bit too grimdark.

But it is indeed necessary for the OVAs.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Sephyr posted:

Saw that when I tried to read Fairy Tail. There was one magess who was supposed to be tiny and all the other characters made fun of her for being 'flat'....when she had the exact same build and bust as all other women who were not comically sunken goblin-crones.

I just wanted some actual cool sorcery fights, dammit.

Fairy Tail actually did score some points with having its female characters who were supposed to be good at combat actually be good at, you know, fighting. Sadly other things in the series drags it down.

Junpei Hyde posted:

You should, and best of all it doesn't matter how you watch it because people are right the dub is amazing. Also make sure to watch Roberta's Blood Trail which comes after. Gets a little bit too talky sometimes, but it's fun.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Roberta's Blood Trail having a slightly different ending in the manga than the OVA makes me kinda curious which one is considered canon.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Mokinokaro posted:

The second season in general just isn't as good as the first. It just goes a bit too grimdark.

But it is indeed necessary for the OVAs.

The twin arc goes too far for sure but greenback Jane or w/e it’s called is the high point of the show imo, sawyer is the beat character in the show and the wizard missing the action because he’s making a dramatic entrance is the best

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

SunAndSpring posted:

It’s very fitting to people here to talk about a comic book series for children after going for pages about how disappointed they are that they couldn’t switch on someone to their friends. Same level of emotional maturity.

Nobody in this thread wants contrapoints' friends to stop talking to her so iunno why people keep acting like that's the thing that's being discussed here. A prominent youtuber had someone who's harmful to the causes they claim to support on and their excuse was 'find out on the next episode of DBZ,' and a bunch of people went 'obviously you just have faith that the next episode will explain it!' That's lovely. That's the sum total of my point here, I don't care who hangs out with the youtube lady.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

The biggest flaw of black lagoon is that it tries really hard to be Jackie Brown era Quentin Tarantino, but it feels the best when it embraces being Desperado-era Robert Rodriguez

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

watho posted:

The twin arc goes too far for sure but greenback Jane or w/e it’s called is the high point of the show imo, sawyer is the beat character in the show and the wizard missing the action because he’s making a dramatic entrance is the best

the wizard getting immediately shot down is by far my favourite non serious moment of the show. its done with such nonchalance too. also the flamethrower guy

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

ArfJason posted:

the wizard getting immediately shot down is by far my favourite non serious moment of the show. its done with such nonchalance too. also the flamethrower guy

Hank Hill Unleashed is by far the best bit character in all of Black Lagoon

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ArfJason posted:

'guy getting shot casually after a bunch of buildup' is one of those gags that will never not be funny, no matter how many times i see it. fullmetal panic has a scene thats just a direct copy of that indiana jones scene and i still laugh.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

The biggest flaw of black lagoon is that it tries really hard to be Jackie Brown era Quentin Tarantino, but it feels the best when it embraces being Desperado-era Robert Rodriguez

On that topic, Rodriguez is better at embracing the Grindhouse exploitation aesthetic than Tarantino ever will and his films are all entertaining because of it. The fact that the uncle from Spy Kids is the same character in Machete will never not be funny to me.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

Fairy Tail actually did score some points with having its female characters who were supposed to be good at combat actually be good at, you know, fighting. Sadly other things in the series drags it down.

Fair. I read it to the point where the summoner girl is kidnapped by another guild with a magical mecha and by then it felt like I'd seen all it had to offer. Magic was just standard shonen powers, power of friendship beats all. Not -bad-, but nothing that hooked me in to stick around.

But I remember there being one magess character that struck terror into everyone else (and that her hugging people forgetting she was wearing armor was funny).

It's just the Ars Magica player in me that still really wants a decent arcane-themed series of any kind.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Dubs are good because they gave us a Bowling for Soup cover of I Ran (So Far Away) as the OP Saint Seiya.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpxrsEAIMT4

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

black lagoon and mushishi are the two extremes of what makes a good anime

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
One thing I really like in season 2 of Mushishi is for all of Ginko's efforts to maintain a balance and never take lives or kill Mushi, there's still a point where he just nopes out and burns a man's house down without hesitation for what they'd been doing.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I liked Roberta's Blood Trail a whole lot until the sexual assault backstory. poo poo was really out of nowhere and took me right out of it. That sort of crap is never handled well and it's a bummer that it was used at all.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Endorph posted:

'guy getting shot casually after a bunch of buildup' is one of those gags that will never not be funny, no matter how many times i see it. fullmetal panic has a scene thats just a direct copy of that indiana jones scene and i still laugh.

Oh hey sup endorph. what brings you here. This is by far one of the worst threads on sa

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

ArfJason posted:

Oh hey sup endorph. what brings you here. This is by far one of the worst threads on sa

Some might even say it is a hell....thread.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Jimbot posted:

I liked Roberta's Blood Trail a whole lot until the sexual assault backstory. poo poo was really out of nowhere and took me right out of it. That sort of crap is never handled well and it's a bummer that it was used at all.

yeah and it's weird because maybe i just misread that part of the manga but there, it was just implied she was beaten by the prison guards, not raped, and the anime tended to actually tone things like that down from the manga, not amplify them.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ArfJason posted:

Oh hey sup endorph. what brings you here.
question

quote:

This is by far one of the worst threads on sa

answer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

How did Integras dad defeat Alucard anyway?

I have no idea why I even like this franchise. There's zero suspense ever because the world is D&D and Alucard is level 50 and everyone else is capped at level 10 so every single fight ever is just him playing with the enemy and then killing them with no risk to himself ever.