Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

Yep, you can get the Micron 1100 2GB for about $200 on the regular. Amazon has them new, in stock and sold by Amazon.

I think it's really worth the extra $20 for a MX500, though

or this:

owls or something fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Oct 18, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
I would not pick ADATA over Micron (or its consumer brand, Crucial) unless there was a substantial price advantage and I didn’t care about reliability etc. Micron makes its own flash memory and that gives them a substantial advantage over smaller companies which must acquire flash from other suppliers (such as Micron).

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I'm seeing 2T MX500s for less than 2 bills on ebay.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
I'll be selling my 2TB Micron 1100 on here for a benjamin if I can score a super cheap 660p this black friday. Good riddance to SATA cables forever!

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

Are those micron 2tb drives still running from last year?

I was going to say, the 1100 hasn't been particularly relevant since the SU800 dropped down to basically the same price, and the latter is a retail drive with warranty. It's regularly available on Rakuten via Adata's own storefront, where they have more or less monthly ~15%-off sales.

BobHoward posted:

I would not pick ADATA over Micron (or its consumer brand, Crucial) unless there was a substantial price advantage and I didn’t care about reliability etc. Micron makes its own flash memory and that gives them a substantial advantage over smaller companies which must acquire flash from other suppliers (such as Micron).

SSDs are quite reliable nowadays. I've literally never had one fail on me ever over the years, let alone a recent one like the SU800. I have no problem recommending the SU800, especially the 2 TB one.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Adata is very much fine, no reason to avoid them.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
I'd like to swap a 256 830 with a 2tb 860 (sata) but I'm not really in any rush. Wait for BF?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

zer0spunk posted:

I'd like to swap a 256 830 with a 2tb 860 (sata) but I'm not really in any rush. Wait for BF?

Definitely wait, while there's no guarantee that the Samsungs will be on sale, almost all of the SSDs drop down a little bit when their competitors are on crazy low sale.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
I hate marketing "sales holidays". Just set the price lower and sell poo poo.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Atomizer posted:

SSDs are quite reliable nowadays. I've literally never had one fail on me ever over the years, let alone a recent one like the SU800. I have no problem recommending the SU800, especially the 2 TB one.

What I'm saying is that when the price is the same (as it was in the post I was responding to), pick the fully integrated vendor like Micron/Crucial over a lower-tier company like ADATA.

I'm not saying you should never buy cheap SSDs. I have done that myself - a few months back I saved about $200 by choosing a 2TB MyDigitalSSD BPX Pro (lol at this name) over a Samsung 970. I have decent confidence in it, it's literally just the Phison E12 reference design and firmware with Toshiba flash. But if there hadn't been a price difference, the 970 would've been a no-brainer.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
What are some good sata SSD controllers that are good at operating in a trim-less environment as a legacy OS drive.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

BobHoward posted:

What I'm saying is that when the price is the same (as it was in the post I was responding to), pick the fully integrated vendor like Micron/Crucial over a lower-tier company like ADATA.

I'm not saying you should never buy cheap SSDs. I have done that myself - a few months back I saved about $200 by choosing a 2TB MyDigitalSSD BPX Pro (lol at this name) over a Samsung 970. I have decent confidence in it, it's literally just the Phison E12 reference design and firmware with Toshiba flash. But if there hadn't been a price difference, the 970 would've been a no-brainer.

Understood, but what I'm getting at is that modern SSDs are commoditized at this point; they all* work well and there aren't meaningful differences in performance or reliability, at least in the same market segment (i.e. consumer versus professional/datacenter/etc.) Yes, a company like Micron or Samsung or whoever else uses all of their own components would in theory produce the "best" product, but in reality they're all* good enough, especially for the average user.

*I say this with the one exception being the really low-end, DRAMless, cheap Chinese drives that are even now probably so cheap they're too good to be true.

I mean you're still right, if there isn't a meaningful price difference between, say, a Samsung and an Adata SSD, then I'd go with the Samsung, but in all likelihood it wouldn't matter which drive I was using in a typical home consumer scenario.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Atomizer posted:

*I say this with the one exception being the really low-end, DRAMless, cheap Chinese drives that are even now probably so cheap they're too good to be true.

Are there SSD scams with falsely reported sizing like there are for USB sticks yet?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
I got taken with of those when I lived in China years ago so they do exist, though I'm not sure what your odds are of getting one.

Reported the correct size when plugged in, seemed to transfer files onto it OK, but at the end of the day it was a small thumb drive glued into an SSD enclosure. Meant to scam someone for just barely long enough.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Shaocaholica posted:

What are some good sata SSD controllers that are good at operating in a trim-less environment as a legacy OS drive.

We've had mixed luck with this.

Old SandForce SSDs were known to have very active/aggressive garbage-collection. OWC would even boast that you didn't even need TRIM with them.

Unfortunately, stock SandForce SSD firmware also had compatibility issues with a lot of system controllers. Everything from weird controller errors forcing the connection down to SATA I, to systems being unable to boot.

Some companies (OWC for sure, maybe SanDisk, as well) made tweaks to the stock firmware. Many times it was called "Mac" firmware, as it improved compatibility with many chipsets used in Macs, but it also made them work better with old PCs, as well.

Since these modified SandForce controller SSDs became harder and harder to find, we just went with whatever was the most compatible (Samsung 850 EVO works in everything we put it in), and made sure to under-provision the heck out of it. 120 GB drive had a single 100 GiB partition, 4K aligned. 250 GB drive had a single 200 GiB partition, 500 GB drive gets a single 400 GiB partition, etc.

Our Windows XP, 2000, and NT4 systems are like this (make sure to partition/format with another OS, to ensure the partition is aligned properly and 4K formatted). I think starting the partition at sector 2048 (1MiB) and 4K-aligning even works with the DOS/Win95/Win98 systems.

The biggest problems we've had with old systems is when using a TRIM-compatible OS with an old chipset that cannot pass TRIM commands (such as the SATA to PATA bridge in a ThinkPad T43). This causes crazy system pauses and hangs during I/O as the OS keeps trying to issue TRIM command to a TRIM-compatible drive, and the controller doesn't understand the command. For Windows 7/8/10, you can issue a command to disable TRIM. For Linux, there was no way to disable TRIM that I know of.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Xenomorph posted:

We've had mixed luck with this.

Thanks. That's really informative but I'm sure there's a lot more to be said. Right now I'm mostly interested in running SATA native(no PATA adapter) SSDs in OS X 10.4 and 10.5.

I thought Win7 didn't have Trim?

And you can't do that fancy partitioning in OS X using CLI tools?

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Shaocaholica posted:

Thanks. That's really informative but I'm sure there's a lot more to be said. Right now I'm mostly interested in running SATA native(no PATA adapter) SSDs in OS X 10.4 and 10.5.

I thought Win7 didn't have Trim?

And you can't do that fancy partitioning in OS X using CLI tools?

Pretty sure Windows 7 had SSD/TRIM support since release.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

orcane posted:

Pretty sure Windows 7 had SSD/TRIM support since release.

If memory serves I recall it wasn't added until later and even then it needed to be manually enabled.

e: it's also the dumbest flag/variable with a negate logic.

Is trim enabled? (This is the logical question)

Is disable trim enabled? (This is the actual variable) :psyduck:

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Oct 21, 2019

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Xenomorph posted:

The biggest problems we've had with old systems is when using a TRIM-compatible OS with an old chipset that cannot pass TRIM commands (such as the SATA to PATA bridge in a ThinkPad T43). This causes crazy system pauses and hangs during I/O as the OS keeps trying to issue TRIM command to a TRIM-compatible drive, and the controller doesn't understand the command. For Windows 7/8/10, you can issue a command to disable TRIM. For Linux, there was no way to disable TRIM that I know of.

According to the Arch Wiki TRIM can be disabled by not passing the discard option when the volume is mounted.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Shaocaholica posted:

If memory serves I recall it wasn't added until later and even then it needed to be manually enabled.

e: it's also the dumbest flag/variable with a negate logic.

Is trim enabled? (This is the logical question)

Is disable trim enabled? (This is the actual variable) :psyduck:
https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/e7/2009/05/05/support-and-qa-for-solid-state-drives/ :haw:

I remember some SSDs having issues being detected as such and some people trying to check whether the flag was on through third party apps, but Windows 7 could detect SSDs and set certain features to on or off accordingly (requires running the Windows Experience Index?) and personally I never had a modern SSD in Windows 7 that wasn't properly detected and TRIM enabled. Manufacturer apps sometimes had a manual TRIM option on top, though.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Mr.Radar posted:

According to the Arch Wiki TRIM can be disabled by not passing the discard option when the volume is mounted.

Now, I haven't messed with this in a while, so things may have changed, but leaving off "discard" did not work, as many systems defaulted to forcing trim by default (tested on 4.0+ kernel versions of Fedora and Ubuntu.)

An "on" toggle is useless when some platforms default to it always being on (so how do you turn it off?).

In fact, discard is assumed even if the drive is NOT mounted.
To format, I have to run this on unsupported systems unless I want to see a ton of IO errors in syslog:

code:
mkfs.ext4 -E nodiscard /dev/sda1
There basically needs to be a "NOdiscard" kernel/boot option.

I know someone found some kernel patches in the past that were for allowing discard to actually be turned off. I don't know what their status is.

https://kernel.ubuntu.com/git/ubuntu/linux.git/commit/?id=71d126fd28de2d4d9b7b2088dbccd7ca62fad6e0

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

isndl posted:

Are there SSD scams with falsely reported sizing like there are for USB sticks yet?

I'm not actually sure, but it wouldn't surprise me if that was a thing. I was warning against the dubious, cheap Chinese SSDs not because I have experience with them, but because reputable drives have been available affordably for a while. There are just some weird brands like Dogfish or Sunbow or Kingspec or whatever, that are either known or suspected to be made with cheap NAND flash, and there are either no reviews or a few bad reviews where users complain about performance or overheating or similar. There's not enough of a price difference to make these SSDs worth the risk.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

There are knockoff SSDs that are just USB sticks adapted to SATA inside an SSD housing. Dunno if it's a thing with M.2 drives yet.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

The Inland Premium 1 TB NVMe SSD with the Phison E12 controller is now back down to $99 at MicroCenter, making it a good buy.

Also, supposedly people who bought it from Amazon got a new firmware revision, ECFM 22.4 pre-installed on the SSD.

Still looking for a link to an ECFM 22.x updater, if I find it or if someone else already does, please post it here.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Is there a PCIe x16 SSD that can use all 16 lanes? I'm trying to do something stupid on an old system. Doesn't need to be bootable.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Shaocaholica posted:

Is there a PCIe x16 SSD that can use all 16 lanes? I'm trying to do something stupid on an old system. Doesn't need to be bootable.

There are but they’re usually quad m.2 drives behind a PCIe switch and big bucks.

Gigabyte just dropped an 8TB one that is PCIe Gen4 compatible too:

https://www.gigabyte.com/Solid-State-Drive/AORUS-Gen4-AIC-SSD-8TB#kf

:eyepop:

Also there are ones that require the x16 slot to be bifurcated x4x4x4x4. Asus has an adapter for this:

https://www.asus.com/ca-en/Motherboard-Accessories/HYPER-M-2-X16-CARD/

priznat fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Nov 6, 2019

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

priznat posted:

There are but they’re usually quad m.2 drives behind a PCIe switch and big bucks.

How does this work? Is there an IC that sits between the M.2 NVME drives and the PCIe bus or does that just expose itself as 4 independent drives each using 4 lanes?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Shaocaholica posted:

How does this work? Is there an IC that sits between the M.2 NVME drives and the PCIe bus or does that just expose itself as 4 independent drives each using 4 lanes?

Actually it looks like the gigabyte one requires the quad bifurcation of a slot as well, no PCIe switch on that. So yes it’s like the x16 slot is just chopped into 4 x4s and each shows up as an independent drive.

It also looks like if you use it with certain gigabyte motherboards the bios supports doing different RAID things with it. In this case it could look like one single drive.

So you could go either way!

Apart from these I think HGST and other high end makers like the Samsung enterprise have done x8 SSDs but I can’t recall seeing a x16 one. It could exist in some specialized design..

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

priznat posted:

It also looks like if you use it with certain gigabyte motherboards the bios supports doing different RAID things with it. In this case it could look like one single drive.

So if it's just 4 independent drives on the PCIe bus then any raid functions would have to be done somewhere on the main board or I guess it could be watered down raid that requires an OS driver which does raid ops on the CPU like intel used to do :/

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Shaocaholica posted:

So if it's just 4 independent drives on the PCIe bus then any raid functions would have to be done somewhere on the main board or I guess it could be watered down raid that requires an OS driver which does raid ops on the CPU like intel used to do :/

Yeah pretty much, it’s fairly gimmicky. There won’t be any sort of raid offloading.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Are these cheap Inland drives fine for replacing a HDD in a low-end laptop (that is only sporadically used)?

https://www.microcenter.com/product/485911/inland-professional-240gb-ssd-3d-tlc-nand-sata-iii-6gb-s-25-internal-solid-state-drive-(240g)

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

priznat posted:

Christ that's gotta be expensive as gently caress.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

Rock My Socks! posted:

Are these cheap Inland drives fine for replacing a HDD in a low-end laptop (that is only sporadically used)?

https://www.microcenter.com/product/485911/inland-professional-240gb-ssd-3d-tlc-nand-sata-iii-6gb-s-25-internal-solid-state-drive-(240g)

The biggest issue with those inland drives (and other 240gb SSDs around the $30 mark) is that they lack a DRAM cache.

It should be fine though. It'll still be a whole lot better than an HDD.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Can someone help me resolve this mystery?

Two months ago I bought a 480GB Corsair SATA 3 SSD. I used it only for Steam games. Played on it for about two weeks, then the drive started "disappearing" from Windows. One day it just wasn't there; I rebooted the computer and it came back and everything was fine. A week later, it disappeared again. Reboot fixed it. Then it happened like the next day. So, like, every time I refresh it, it gives it life but for a diminishing amount of time. I tried to run checks and scans on the disk, but it would only get 70% before the drive vanished. Then 30% before the drive vanished. And eventually Windows stopped seeing it altogether.

Sounded like a dud drive. I ordered a second one (the company sent me a second one after a mixup involving a return shipping label) and it worked just fine, but only for about two days, and then it disappeared. I tried rebooting it, but with this new drive installed, Windows doesn't even really load. It does, but it takes five times as long, and very few things seem to work once Windows loads; I can draw a selection rectangle on the desktop but can't seem to click on anything else.

So, it seems really improbable that both drives are bad, but what else could the problem be?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

The SATA cable?

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Swap the cable, try different SATA ports and if your motherboard has separate SATA controllers try plugging into the other one. Can also slap the drive into an enclosure to test it on another machine.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Oh, yeah, the cable! That seems like an obvious thing to check.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

credburn posted:

Oh, yeah, the cable! That seems like an obvious thing to check.

Yeah, it's never a bad idea to have a few SATA and other assorted cables in reserve. They're cheap as all hell on Monoprice, and you can get right-angled ones if that'd be easier to route.

I'm sure it'd be interesting to know how many perfectly functional monitors are RMAed because someone didn't try a new DP or HDMI cable first.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

priznat posted:

Also there are ones that require the x16 slot to be bifurcated x4x4x4x4. Asus has an adapter for this:

https://www.asus.com/ca-en/Motherboard-Accessories/HYPER-M-2-X16-CARD/

Hmm, the asus adapter is only 85CAD on amazon.ca . Hmm, that looks quite reasonable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Volguus posted:

Hmm, the asus adapter is only 85CAD on amazon.ca . Hmm, that looks quite reasonable.

Yeah there's not a lot to it, no active components apart from a fan and some LEDs. The single x4 ones are less than $20 usually and is a good option if you have PCIe slots but all out of m.2 sockets.

Just check that your motherboard can bifurcate to x4x4x4x4 for the asus x16 adapter though otherwise you'll only see 1 of the drives.