Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
There is a good slate money about this and other companies starting to grind down now that the market psychology getting slightly less delusional. WeWork had a really self-dealing and "visionary" CEO who would probably have supplied lots of Silicon Valley storylines if that show wasn't in its last season, and when the prospectus went out for the IPO their dire cash flow came to light and they had to can him.
https://slate.com/podcasts/slate-money/2019/09/slate-money-on-wework-juul-and-thomas-cook

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

a price floor on weed wouldn't be totally unprecedented; the severely restricted supply of on-site consumption (bar and restaurant) liquor licenses in most jurisdictions is partly to accomplish just that, though indirectly. labor is most of the reason drinks at a bar are more expensive than retail, but that enforced scarcity is part of it too

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/coryweinberg/status/1186412716983848960

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I think I speak for most normal folks when I say good

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

vyst posted:

I think I speak for most normal folks when I say good
Those things are such a shitshow. I was in downtown Austin in the spring for a bachelor party, and the main drag of bars had tons of those things everywhere. You also better believe that people were riding them while half in the bag. They also get left all over the place when the batteries run out and the person who rented them is not near a charging station.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013
I cannot in my mind envision paying money for something that is less convenient than walking and also not much faster. Who rides these things and why?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

It’s much faster than walking and you literally don’t need to exercise. At all. I mean hate the idea and its negative externalities but it’s really hard not to see why people like it.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Electric scooters finally infested my city, but before so, a law got passed that they have to be docked in designated zones.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

im on board with anything that gets people thinking outside the mindset of driving everywhere

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

I don't think the thousands of abandoned scooters thrown in the river when Lime et all go belly up are going to be a net positive.

Plus they're not a car replacement, they're a walking 5 blocks from your car in downtown replacement.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
They're also a nightmare for our comrades with disabilities as they block up sidewalks and things.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

alpha_destroy posted:

They're also a nightmare for our comrades with disabilities as they block up sidewalks and things.

The corner in front of my building in downtown Austin earlier this year:

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

account has slowed down but remains a pro-follow

https://www.instagram.com/birdgraveyard/

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug
I'm so glad that my city clamped down hard on that poo poo and made their own bikesharing thing(not really but they only allow one dealer to operate in the city) with designated zones where you can park. Of course pro capitalist douchebags are crying foul and how an open market would be so much better.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
i will never not post this video when these scooters come up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hU6WSFG8CIA

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Trabant posted:

The corner in front of my building in downtown Austin earlier this year:

Those scooters just need a slight adjustment to be "in pieces in the dumpster behind my building in Austin".

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Weatherman posted:

Those scooters just need a slight adjustment to be "in pieces in the dumpster behind my building in Austin".
They need a $25 replacement board to become "oh poo poo, we can't trace it anymore guess it's yours now gently caress"

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

FilthyImp posted:

They need a $25 replacement board to become "oh poo poo, we can't trace it anymore guess it's yours now gently caress"

I've been wondering about that actually, we're outside the Austin Scooter Zone but we do have some neat e-bikes I wouldn't mind appropriating

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/ShiraOvide/status/1186430852399583237

https://twitter.com/xoxoclarabeth/status/1172178185234059265

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

the CEO/founder is going to walk away with hundreds of millions of dollars lmao :capitalism:

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

brugroffil posted:

the CEO/founder is going to walk away with hundreds of millions of dollars lmao :capitalism:

He won't get hundreds of millions of dollars. He'll get over a billion.

https://twitter.com/verge/status/1186656033269342208

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Just goes to show you, sometimes all you need is a good idea!

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
I mean, look, the idea is fine! People sometimes need a place to work that isn't home or Starbucks.

Just not sure it's worth 1.7 billion dollars to implement it in a terrible way and ultimately fail.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
It is if you're Adam Neumann.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Wait, this is a coworking space company? For some reason I thought it was more an AirBnB where they matched properties and tenants.

WTF? Some companies like AirBnB and Uber effectively dominate a market and make it difficult for new start-ups to gain a foothold, but there's nothing stopping competing coworking operations from starting up. It's not like WeWork can offer cubes, conference rooms, and VoIP at significantly cheaper prices than a local competitor. Well, they can - but they have to lose hundreds of thousands of dollars a day to do it.

We have a coworking company nearby that was built out of an old CVS drugstore and it's always hopping and they don't have a weird CEO who has to be paid a billion dollars to go away. Hopefully the billion is in WeWork stock that he can't sell for X number of years.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
It's entirely possible that I have not kept up with WeWork's change in business model since they were first founded.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Krispy Wafer posted:

Wait, this is a coworking space company? For some reason I thought it was more an AirBnB where they matched properties and tenants.
They have one of those in L.A.

It's "we'll charge you $500 to sleep in a closet stuffed with double bunk beds and all the living/dining spaces are shared workspace for creatives" and the local news was going wild for it.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I've attended meetings at quite a few WeWork places and they're all quite nice. The niceness is more jarring if you understand how miserable and god awful the average office is.

Companies are starting to see the importance of keeping their office drones happy, yet very few have any expertise in managing the office space part of it. The demand is there, someone just needs to figure out the economics of the supplying. There probably are meaningful economies of scale to centralizing design and maintenance under one firm.

Trouble is this is a pretty high sunk-cost business, so when you gently caress up you find yourself where WeWork is.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I'm hesitant to drag e-scooters too much because they actually are a HUGE help to lower income people who can use them, and provide some freedom to younger people too, but I can't also help but the feel the annoyance at their proliferation.

Vegetable posted:

I've attended meetings at quite a few WeWork places and they're all quite nice. The niceness is more jarring if you understand how miserable and god awful the average office is.

Companies are starting to see the importance of keeping their office drones happy, yet very few have any expertise in managing the office space part of it. The demand is there, someone just needs to figure out the economics of the supplying. There probably are meaningful economies of scale to centralizing design and maintenance under one firm.

Trouble is this is a pretty high sunk-cost business, so when you gently caress up you find yourself where WeWork is.

I don't think I've done WorkSpace but the vast majority of these shared/rented office spaces are pretty bad, and when you end up in the rare one that's good it's like "oh why isn't it always like this?"

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

someone who is good at the economy please help me budget this. my startup is dying

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

totalnewbie posted:

I mean, look, the idea is fine! People sometimes need a place to work that isn't home or Starbucks.

Just not sure it's worth 1.7 billion dollars to implement it in a terrible way and ultimately fail.

I have been wrong this all time; I have made these with 5-figure budgets and 0-EUR leases to get more clients to failing tech parks and I did not get my multimillion USD bailout regardless of being success or not.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Der Kyhe posted:

I have been wrong this all time; I have made these with 5-figure budgets and 0-EUR leases to get more clients to failing tech parks and I did not get my multimillion USD bailout regardless of being success or not.

Should have used "disruption" more in your Powerpoints.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

kumba posted:

i will never not post this video when these scooters come up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hU6WSFG8CIA

lol ok this rules

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

OMGVBFLOL posted:

lol ok this rules

holy poo poo that's a pro-click

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Sir Lemming posted:

someone who is good at the economy please help me budget this. my startup is dying

Get bought out of your ownership for a billion dollars.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Vegetable posted:

There is a business Im working with right now that basically does this. They help companies redesign and improve existing office space

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

totalnewbie posted:

The idea is "commercial property management company" but because our economy is dumb as hell WeWork is treated as some disruptive tech startup and given insane amounts of money

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Vegetable posted:

Keeping office drones happy isn't all that difficult, I think. My guess is probably a few changes. First thing is to make things less loving soulless. Offices are just so bleak. Let the drones actually decorate the drat place. Next if they get their poo poo done early let them go home a bit early instead of forcing them to sit in a box and pretend to work. If they get their work done in half the time you expected then give them a drat raise and find them other things to do. Then stop it with the MANDATORY CORPORATE FUN DAY bullshit. It's always the most boring, inoffensive crap that almost nobody actually likes. Alternatively let the people participating in the activities choose. Maybe get multiple potential options together and let people pick which ones they want. Most assuredly never schedule that poo poo on Saturday. Let them work from home more. Actually reward people who accomplish exceptional things. Leave them the gently caress alone on the weekend unless it's an emergency. Last thing you do is get rid of the politicking busy bodies that have nothing better to do than lord whatever tiny sliver of power they can get over everybody else, actively look for any excuse to complain about inconsequential crap, and actively avoid doing any actual work. Those people are organizational cancer.

Now give me a billion dollars, tia.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Keeping office drones happy isn't all that difficult, I think. My guess is probably a few changes. First thing is to make things less loving soulless. Offices are just so bleak. Let the drones actually decorate the drat place. Next if they get their poo poo done early let them go home a bit early instead of forcing them to sit in a box and pretend to work. If they get their work done in half the time you expected then give them a drat raise and find them other things to do. Then stop it with the MANDATORY CORPORATE FUN DAY bullshit. It's always the most boring, inoffensive crap that almost nobody actually likes. Alternatively let the people participating in the activities choose. Maybe get multiple potential options together and let people pick which ones they want. Most assuredly never schedule that poo poo on Saturday. Let them work from home more. Actually reward people who accomplish exceptional things. Leave them the gently caress alone on the weekend unless it's an emergency. Last thing you do is get rid of the politicking busy bodies that have nothing better to do than lord whatever tiny sliver of power they can get over everybody else, actively look for any excuse to complain about inconsequential crap, and actively avoid doing any actual work. Those people are organizational cancer.

Now give me a billion dollars, tia.

ive known people who work at offices with culture that didn't completely suck and they did all these things

all of them, to a one, also had a culture of glossing over sexual harassment. several still do. all the cutesy crap on the walls and on-site booze don't do much if you make it clear that powerful harassers will be protected and their victims hung out to dry, so i'd add that too. investigate every accusation, and be ruthless about making heads roll when there's a pattern and/or proof

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

OMGVBFLOL posted:

lol ok this rules
The "can't find one" segments didn't ring true for me. At least where I am you can't walk three blocks without running into one brand or other.