Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should Gaj make his own thread
This poll is closed.
Yes, make a new thread 6 54.55%
No, keep things just how they are 5 45.45%
Total: 11 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Is this something new for chick fil a? I don't remember the employees doing that 20 years ago. The few times I've been to once the last 10 years, I asked for an extra sauce packet. The middle aged man behind the counter looked at me as if I just told him he ruined my life and handed me like 10 of them and coupon.

The very last time I was in one, I heard the Boomer manager loudly complaining to his teenage staff about the Cavenaugh hearings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
Chik fil a workers are usually either teenagers working in the kitchen or the cash register or standing outside the drive thru with an iPad OR a decrepit white person ineffectively sweeping with a dust pan and broom. It's looks like a pity job for all the good they're doing.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747
i mean let's be real the only reason fast food isn't completely automated is because it would eliminate millions of jobs so basically all fast food jobs are pity jobs

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
chik fil a is one of those places im surprised doesnt play the anthem at 12 everyday

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

razorrozar posted:

i mean let's be real the only reason fast food isn't completely automated is because it would eliminate millions of jobs so basically all fast food jobs are pity jobs

Uh I think they would love to and are trying to eliminate those jobs

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
All of the Boomer behavior is lead poisoning dementia, starting from the womb till they get other kinds of dementia ganging up on Swiss cheese brains

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Heath posted:

so would i but not at the cost of people's livelihoods

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Heath posted:

All the McDonald's near me added those ordering kiosks and have had to hire additional staff. Plus when you factor in poo poo like UberEats, they are busy all the time. There was an article on, I think, CBC recently about self checkouts and how some grocery stores are opening up more bakery and deli positions instead of cashier jobs.

I could see convenience stores being automated in some way. Maybe automats will come back in fashion.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

When I worked at a Deli there were a lot of older people who didn’t like to take numbers and assumed that being a regular customer means you can just go next. It put you in a no win solution because either way a manager was getting called.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Cowcaster posted:

i think the "no problem" infuriating boomers when you use it instead of "you're welcome" is a branch on the same diseased tree that makes them so obsessed with cursive. in elementary school it was drilled into their heads that the correct response to "thank you" is "you're welcome" and cursive is the proper way to write, and these gosh darned millenials don't respect either

after i made this post it stayed rattling around in my brain a bit and i figured out why

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

Bonzo posted:

All the McDonald's near me added those ordering kiosks and have had to hire additional staff.

Anyone remember the story about the kiosks having feces on literally every one of them? Don't trust your common man to be clean. At least the workers are expected to wash their hands.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
They should get rid of the kiosks and just have everyone order from an app or better yet, COOK YA OWN drat BURGER

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Leon Einstein posted:

Anyone remember the story about the kiosks having feces on literally every one of them? Don't trust your common man to be clean. At least the workers are expected to wash their hands.

fecal residue is on literally everything anyone has ever touched so really to keep yourself sane you should just not worry about it

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

razorrozar posted:

fecal residue is on literally everything anyone has ever touched so really to keep yourself sane you should just not worry about it

Yeah, I know. I just thought it was a funny story. If that bothers you, definitely don't look into what is in the food you actually eat!

Shamino
Mar 14, 2008

I am weary of loitering about Britain. There is much we could be accomplishing! Where hast thou been, anyway?

Leon Einstein posted:

My favorite is when fast food workers are handling credit cards and cash and then go straight to handling food without changing gloves because getting new gloves is a headache.

Just let people use their God drat hands.

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

Sjs00 posted:

They should get rid of the kiosks and just have everyone order from an app or better yet, COOK YA OWN drat BURGER

McDonald's really could make a lot of money if they figured out a way to charge people for raising their own cattle and cooking their own burgers

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747
happened less than five minutes ago:

ive been sitting on a bench waiting for the bus. im a large person so i get that problem where your pants ride down while you're sitting. my bus pulls up, i get up, i reach around to fix my pants, and before my hand gets to my waistband some boomer lady behind me cawed "PULL YOUR PANTS UP!"

like i literally loving was. mind your own loving business.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Something from the r/relationships thread you might find amusing:

AITA for not letting my grandchildren because they call me a dumb boomer?

:bahgawd: Millennials millennials millennials!

:cool: lol boomers

:bahgawd: how DARE you!

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
oh ya, boomers love complaining about low-fitting pants of any kind. If the belt line doesn't coincide with your nipples, it's ghetto.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

razorrozar posted:

like i literally loving was. mind your own loving business.

telling rear end in a top hat strangers who interject themselves in to your day to mind their own business is extremely satisfying

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

boar guy posted:

telling rear end in a top hat strangers who interject themselves in to your day to mind their own business is extremely satisfying

i told her to mind her business and got on the bus while she bitched with her boomer friend about how young people don't respect their elders these days

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Social media has disproven once and for all that respecting one's elders is something you need to do.

(Except nice old grandmas and grandpas who I do think you should respect as in treat nicely but not as in believe they have some kind of unique wisdom)

Live Free
Jan 5, 2019

by VideoGames

Grevling posted:

Social media has disproven once and for all that respecting one's elders is something you need to do.

(Except nice old grandmas and grandpas who I do think you should respect as in treat nicely but not as in believe they have some kind of unique wisdom)

i think generally elders are great at giving advice based on experience. the problem is that boomers just make poo poo up whole cloth or parrot the teevee, on top of being completely averse to self reflection or humility so you basically can only give a gently caress what they say under very specific circumstances. if they don't have the usual boomer attributes for whatever reason they can usually give good advice

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Kung Food posted:

Boomer dads like to show their sons how to fix things, and then scream at them when they aren't immediately proficient at it.

:smith:

:same:

You're expected to do it not only the way they do it, but better and faster, the first time you try.

They will condition you to do everything quickly because they don't want to wait more than 10 seconds for anything, and then when you do rush through everything all the time they will complain about how you rush through everything and need to take your time.

I think it's because they view you as an extension of themselves, and get angry when you aren't doing exactly as they would do at all times.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

razorrozar posted:

so would i but not at the cost of people's livelihoods

automate everything, tax the rich since their workers are no longer being taxed, establish UBI

there, now we can get our orders from mcd's correctly AND all have more time in our lives and be a more stable society! wow!

preventing progress because 'people will lose jobs' is just clinging to the Puritanical ideal that the only way a person can have value is if they're working

gently caress that, there's no reason to keep around lovely slave jobs just to make you feel good that all people are working

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Oct 22, 2019

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Respecting elders probably made sense before modern technology and medicine. So many people died earlier that anyone who made it past 60 or 70 with their body and mind intact was probably experienced/educated/accomplished enough to warrant some respect.

But with the medical advancements and generally stable society we enjoy today, any diabetic, scooter-bound moron can easily live to a ripe old age, totally bereft of any accomplishments or wisdom.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

StrangersInTheNight posted:

automate everything, tax the rich since their workers are no longer being taxed, establish UBI

there, now we can get our orders from mcd's correctly AND all have more time in our lives and be a more stable society! wow!

yes this would be ideal! im not sure where you got the idea that i was opposed to automation but the opposite is true. but we need that infrastructure first because otherwise we just end up with a bunch of jobless people that the wealthy will refuse to take care of, and pushing automation right now would inevitably lead to that.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

razorrozar posted:

yes this would be ideal! im not sure where you got the idea that i was opposed to automation but the opposite is true. but we need that infrastructure first because otherwise we just end up with a bunch of jobless people that the wealthy will refuse to take care of, and pushing automation right now would inevitably lead to that.

Step one to making automation good is to destroy capitalism. Once the people own the means of production in some way, the benefit of free robot labor goes out more horizontally instead of ending up in one dude's pocket while 200 out of work people fight over scraps.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Step one to making automation good is to destroy capitalism. Once the people own the means of production in some way, the benefit of free robot labor goes out more horizontally instead of ending up in one dude's pocket while 200 out of work people fight over scraps.

still preaching to the choir friend! but this is a long term goal, to put it lightly, and we should be opposing automation as long as we're under capitalism, unless my reasoning has gone totally wonky.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I’ve seen older people take long enough at those where a cashier is so much faster, plus the time after when they didn’t get their order right even though they made it themselves.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

razorrozar posted:

still preaching to the choir friend! but this is a long term goal, to put it lightly, and we should be opposing automation as long as we're under capitalism, unless my reasoning has gone totally wonky.

It sucks bad because i work in technology and manufacturing and these jobs absolutely should be done by a robot since the human workers are pretty often maimed or killed in the line of work, but making that happen makes them poor instead of dead.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

It blocks European users because it is angry over the incredibly low standards enforced by the European data protection regulation, which might be an even stronger boomer energy than its actual content.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Nuclearmonkee posted:

It sucks bad because i work in technology and manufacturing and these jobs absolutely should be done by a robot since the human workers are pretty often maimed or killed in the line of work, but making that happen makes them poor instead of dead.

I used to work for a software company that sold to oil/energy companies, drug and chemical manufactures. The plants were always in the middle of nowhere in some flyover state where they don't pay taxes and have a large nearly unskilled population that will thank them profusely for low paying , dangerous jobs.

If you've never seen the movie Norma Rae with Sally Field, go watch it. You'll get sad or angry that a 40 year old film about evil corporations exploiting small town workers is still valid and would probably be laughed out of the theater by many of today's Americans.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0079638/?ref_=nv_sr_1?ref_=nv_sr_1

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Regarding the KFC incident, I think the problem is that some fast food places have 'table service' (granted you still have to go to the register to order). I know this is standard in Carls Jr but sometimes a specific store will do it too-for example McDonald's normally doesn't but there's a location with one of those big indoor play places. A lot of families consist of one tired parent and like 4 toddlers, so it's much easier for them to order then sit down and let their kids play nearby without needing to get up by themselves to get all the food.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Randler posted:

It blocks European users because it is angry over the incredibly low standards enforced by the European data protection regulation, which might be an even stronger boomer energy than its actual content.

Boomer energy posted:

DEAR EDITOR:

Good leadership can affect a business, a battle or a burial. Once I did a funeral at the graveside in Alabama when the minister didn’t show up.

The Founder of Publix Supermarkets, George Washington Jenkins, opened his first grocery store across the street from an existing grocery store. Largely due to the way he treated customers and inspired his associates to do the same, his store thrived, and the store across the street went out of business.

On Dec. 6, 2018, The Marietta Daily Journal published my Letter to the Editor in which I suggested a polite reply for “thank you” is “my pleasure,” not “no problem.” I saw my “letter” was published, so I went across the street to the Publix Supermarket and purchased an additional paper. As I handed the money to the associate, I said, “Thank you.” Her reply was “no problem.” Many people wrote me saying the agreed with my “letter” and regret people treat each other that way.

I went back to Publix. As the young man bagged my groceries, I said, “Thank you. He said, “No problem.” The cashier handed me my receipt and I said, “Thank you”. His reply: “No problem.” So while I had them both together, I gave them both a moment of inspiration: “You should not say ‘no problem’ — you should say ‘my pleasure.’”

I sent a message to the Publix customer comment website, and the replying associate demonstrated a lack of understanding. I decided it was time for a little leadership.

I wrote the chairman of Publix on Jan. 3, and told him, “You have a culture problem at Publix.” I reminded him of Founder Jenkins’ culture of “Where Shopping is a Pleasure.” Do you prefer “Where shopping is ‘No Problem?’” and I detailed his associates’ replies to me, and recommended training associates to delete the words “no problem” and substitute “my pleasure.”

Mr. Todd Jones, CEO of Publix, replied Jan. 8 in a letter saying he “shared your comments with appropriate leadership for immediate follow through to ensure our store teams are properly trained and committed to greeting and thanking our customers in the appropriate manner … not responding with a lackadaisical, “No problem.” He copied the president, the vice president, the district manager and the store manager.

Good leadership, Mr. Jones.

Dan Kirk

Kennesaw

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

"no problem" is a sort of meta empathy. If a non boomer was shopping theyd know that just being a customer creates more work. As an non boomer employee you sometimes dont want the customer to think that they are a burden. Its not a problem that your here, your cool man, were all toiling under capitalism together :(:respek::(

boomers dont have empathy so this doesnt occur to them.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Panfilo posted:

Regarding the KFC incident, I think the problem is that some fast food places have 'table service' (granted you still have to go to the register to order). I know this is standard in Carls Jr but sometimes a specific store will do it too-for example McDonald's normally doesn't but there's a location with one of those big indoor play places. A lot of families consist of one tired parent and like 4 toddlers, so it's much easier for them to order then sit down and let their kids play nearby without needing to get up by themselves to get all the food.

But one would think they would know how KFC works at this point.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

“Where shopping is no problem” doesn’t sound that bad anyway, especially when I want to get in and out as quickly as possible.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Hihohe posted:

"no problem" is a sort of meta empathy. If a non boomer was shopping theyd know that just being a customer creates more work. As an non boomer employee you sometimes dont want the customer to think that they are a burden. Its not a problem that your here, your cool man, were all toiling under capitalism together :(:respek::(

boomers dont have empathy so this doesnt occur to them.

I think that's the best way I've ever seen it explained. It's not impolite, it's letting the customer know that they weren't a problem and we are mutually cool. It's an honest favorable expression while "my pleasure" is maximum rear end kissing. I don't think I've ever said "my pleasure" without extreme sarcasm loaded behind it.

If you're particularly cool I'll say "no problem, I'm glad to help", because sometimes I genuinely am.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Also. Boomers like talking on the phone at maximum volume at the library. Like, dude. We can hear you all the way at the other end of the building.