Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Oh poo poo, that guy has cost me a ton of money on Steam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

I do what I can! :tipshat: You're safe today, though. This one was rear end.

:ohno: SPOOKY GAMES 6: Hellseeker :ohno:

1. Apsulov: End of Gods
2. Conarium
3. TAMASHII
4. Apparition
5. Secrets of the Maw (DLC)
6. Bad Dream: Coma
7. They Breathe
8. The Final Station
9. Love, Sam
10. Pacify
11. Return of the Obra Dinn
12. Silver Chains
13. Bad Dream: Fever
14. DISTRAINT 2
15. Pamali: Indonesian Folklore Horror
16. Tormentum - Dark Sorrow
17. The Light Keeps Us Safe
18. Kalaban
19. Verde Station
20. Evil
21. Stygian: Reign of the Old Ones

22. Watch This!

I’ve been sitting here for about ten minutes trying to come up with some profound insight to start this review with, as I do with pretty much all my reviews, but you know what? This game is just dumb. Dumb games exist, and I even like a few of them, but others are just so profoundly stupid that they don’t really deserve a complex, in-depth takedown. There’s a seed of a good game buried in the manure of Watch This, a germ of an idea that could make a pretty entertaining romp, and since its release other games have built on the whole “deadly game show” concept. I won’t give Watch This credit for that, though, because it’s really not intelligent enough to have spawned anything in its wake.

In the dystopian hell future that Trump is surely dragging us all towards, the hottest new game show in the world is a sort of murder maze take on The Running Man. You are deposited into a twisting labyrinth of pipes, catwalks, spikes, grinders, and more, and are tasked with finding your way out alive. There’s money tucked away all over the place though, and the more you score the more fabulous prizes you can escape with. But you’ll also need to find keys to reach the exit, and finding them may put you in the path of the maze’s deadly denizens. With a little bit of luck and some help from magic powers, you just might walk away with a grand prize or two.

All of this is explained up front in a corny, awkward, and possibly racist animated sequence that also features the likenesses of Vladimir Putin and a triple-breasted alien. Trying to make a game funny with memes and edgy humor is almost always worse than playing it straight, and the “jokes” in Watch This just sap my patience for the rest of the game. And that’s a problem, because the randomly-generated mazes you scoot around are claustrophobic messes of confusing chambers and boring hallways. I found it impossible to keep my bearings or any sense of direction at all, which led to wandering around until I stumbled across a key, a door, or death.

None of the traps are any more interesting than crushers or conveyors over spike pits, yet somehow the enemies are the weakest part of this package. There are a couple flavors, like the naked green mutant, the random ninja guy, and the genuinely cool TV brute, but they all follow roughly the same pattern, which is chasing directly after you. They can’t climb or jump, which is a real problem in levels with so many ladders and platforming challenges. Really if you can hold out until you reach a vertical room, you’ll leave your foes impotently pacing while you hustle off to other parts of the maze. The only things that will kill you are spiked floors if you flub a jump, and crushers if you’re not paying the least bit of attention.

So that’s it, running through boring, confusing mazes and collecting junk. It’s not scary or challenging, and it sure as hell isn’t funny, which doesn’t leave much reason to play it at all. I honestly expected a bit more from Watch This, considering how clean and detailed the graphics are, but that’s literally the only place this game isn’t terrible. The developers might have realized this, which is why the store screenshots are all just boring scenes of rooms and halls. It’s a sad truth that meme games are often only as fun as their memes are, and the garbage that this one is built around isn’t enough to prop up a Flash game, much less a full product like this.

Too Shy Guy fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Oct 22, 2019

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

AI War 2 just dropped out of early access and holy poo poo that launch discount, Arcen games must be desperate for some cashflow.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

StrixNebulosa posted:

AI War 2 just dropped out of early access and holy poo poo that launch discount, Arcen games must be desperate for some cashflow.

In the Kickstarter announcement a few days ago Chris Park, the creator of Arcen, mentioned that he had one cash-positive month in 3-4 years. There will be DLC, so he's probably banking on those sales for the real cash.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

bbcisdabomb posted:

In the Kickstarter announcement a few days ago Chris Park, the creator of Arcen, mentioned that he had one cash-positive month in 3-4 years. There will be DLC, so he's probably banking on those sales for the real cash.

Arcen games is my favorite disaster indie dev, they will always make weird interesting games and they will always be in dire financial straights.

On the bright side Thotimx is doing an LP of 2 so I'll be able to learn how it plays before I dive in.

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

StrixNebulosa posted:

Oh wow, forgot about this. How's the game itself?

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
It's a much better version of AI War 1, minus some of the more weird DLC stuff like the aRPG mode that took place on entirely different maps with entirely different mechanics.

Gameplay wise it's a more streamlined but also deeper version of the first game, with the little gimmick subfactions expanded into actual full blown factions that can conquer systems, build units and have their own agendas. The AI is still nasty as hell, but the UI is better and it's less fiddly.

The art is still kinda awful, but now at least it's not a mixture of fantastic hand drawn Tyrian sprites and ultra-high-res model converted sprites. Now everything is a mix of odd things that don't look like there's any coherent connecting thread - which oddly actually means there is a coherent artstyle of "no coherent art style".

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

DatonKallandor posted:

The art is still kinda awful, but now at least it's not a mixture of fantastic hand drawn Tyrian sprites and ultra-high-res model converted sprites. Now everything is a mix of odd things that don't look like there's any coherent connecting thread - which oddly actually means there is a coherent artstyle of "no coherent art style".
Yup, there's the Arcen we know and love.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Hwurmp posted:

My top results come from Salvo+Battery. Salvo is one of those weapons that benefits from literally any weapon perk and Battery is the frame that's best suited for it.

Salvo doesn't actually benefit in any significant way from additional projectiles, actually; the extra projectiles get applied only to the first fraction-of-a-second burst of missiles, so it's like ten extra missiles at most.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

anilEhilated posted:

Yup, there's the Arcen we know and love.

I don't know how they managed to make Last Federation because that one looks legitimately good.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

DatonKallandor posted:

I don't know how they managed to make Last Federation because that one looks legitimately good.
It's much more disappointing in practice. I tried playing that game for hours looking for a way to make it fun and couldn't find one.

Womyn Capote
Jul 5, 2004

I can't figure out how to build lust in breeders of nephelym

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
very carefully

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

I've been posting a ton of reviews in here so I hope I can be forgiven for just linking this one, but I've been playing The Surge 2 in the background of Spooktober since getting a review key from the publisher and I finally put together a review of it.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I would disagree with you that Dark Souls offers a stronger motivation than The Surge 2 does. If anything, I would say it is TS2 that feels stronger - instead of being already dead, the world is still very much alive and you can see it break down all around you. Instead of only finding snippets and hints at the people who used to live in the world you explore, you get to see the suffering caused by the catastrophe as it happens, which makes the need to solve the problem feel much more immediate. There's less in the way of a clichéd "prophecied hero, go save the world" plot to it, certainly, but whether by simply escaping or by finding a way to cure the nano-plague, you have plenty of motivation for what you do.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
If you need more Idea Factory games and more Nep in your life, the latest humble bundle has got you covered.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
That bundle is weird. Far as I know Fairy Fencer F Advent Force is a straight upgrade to the original so you are getting the exact same game twice.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Well, its free. Can't argue with that!

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost
Pathway is on sale and just received a big update that appears to solve most of the issues it had at launch. Does anyone have an opinion on the latest patch?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

RVWinkle posted:

Pathway is on sale and just received a big update that appears to solve most of the issues it had at launch. Does anyone have an opinion on the latest patch?

Oh cool! the reviews have gone from mixed to very positive, which is a good sign.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Older games tend to have more positive recent reviews in general, so I'd wait for the trend to keep up for a week or two before deciding to buy.

singateco
Jan 28, 2013
My favorite thing about Arcen games is their weird-rear end tutorialization which involves the devs basically writing their own Gamefaq guides

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I picked up Freeman: Guerrilla Warfare again after not having played it for... oh, a year?

It's still a janky FPS-lite version of Mount and Blade. Maybe too janky. Still, having fun getting my little army together and popping dudes in the dome with a sniper rifle in combat.

I'm liking it overall, though. The FPS gameplay is decent enough while still making it feel "tactical." You might be able to set an ambush if you really tried.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

two bad games for story-BOO-ktober today. gonna spoil the one of them because no one has ever played this garbage:

STAIRS - this one i come to after INFRA, a similar walking sim involving photography.. but this one is a few years older and a few years worse. for starters, you can only photograph 8 things per 'area' whereas INFRA has dozens in each chapter. also the story is bizarrely bad and has a "twist" at the end that is not set up at all. has shoddy stealth with lovely looking creatures that are not remotely scary looking. game is poorly lit as gently caress too. and there's an awful "follow the light" puzzle that is purely trial & error when it starts splitting up into multiple lights. the error kills you

Lust for Darkness - this one has an actual budget to it but is still bad. here we have lovecraft by way of hedonism, an erotic cult creating a portal to the elder ones' realm, specifically the elder god that is about lust or something. the game starts with your girlfriend being kidnapped and raped, and then at the end she shouts at you about how she actually loved being given a forced abortion, raped, and then giving birth to the rapists child, and that she deserved it. cool writing, game devs. real cool. this one is also mostly stealth where being caught is an insta-gameover, and the enemies only sometimes have a listening range, and sometimes you can run loudly right by them if they're facing another direction. whatever!

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

:catstare:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Trip report! I'm playing AI War 2 right now and I'm really, really impressed. The tutorials are simple but efficient, and then you can just jump into a quick-start and get into the roll of stomping the AI and figuring out which path you want to take through the galaxy. They did an absolutely fantastic job of removing basically all the busy-work and cruft: my fleets replenish themselves, engineers automatically repair and claim things, etc. AI War 1 bogged me down with this to the point that I never played it properly, but in this one I'm actually playing it. And so far I'm having fun. The choices I'm making are along the lines of "do I claim this corner of the galaxy? eh I don't need what it has, I'll go up through this middle region instead" and "ooh I want these kinds of turrets because I have tech invested in them" and "what do I research next, I have 70x v-wings but do I want to make them better? or should the other ship-types get them? hmm"

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The 7th Guest posted:

two bad games for story-BOO-ktober today. gonna spoil the one of them because no one has ever played this garbage:

STAIRS - this one i come to after INFRA, a similar walking sim involving photography.. but this one is a few years older and a few years worse. for starters, you can only photograph 8 things per 'area' whereas INFRA has dozens in each chapter. also the story is bizarrely bad and has a "twist" at the end that is not set up at all. has shoddy stealth with lovely looking creatures that are not remotely scary looking. game is poorly lit as gently caress too. and there's an awful "follow the light" puzzle that is purely trial & error when it starts splitting up into multiple lights. the error kills you

Lust for Darkness - this one has an actual budget to it but is still bad. here we have lovecraft by way of hedonism, an erotic cult creating a portal to the elder ones' realm, specifically the elder god that is about lust or something. the game starts with your girlfriend being kidnapped and raped, and then at the end she shouts at you about how she actually loved being given a forced abortion, raped, and then giving birth to the rapists child, and that she deserved it. cool writing, game devs. real cool. this one is also mostly stealth where being caught is an insta-gameover, and the enemies only sometimes have a listening range, and sometimes you can run loudly right by them if they're facing another direction. whatever!

But if she got an abortion then how oh never mind

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

RBA Starblade posted:

But if she got an abortion then how oh never mind
she starts the game pregnant with the protag's child. there's a baby room being built with a crib in it in your house before you get a letter telling you where she's located and begin the game proper. midway through the game the protag is told that she was pregnant when she was kidnapped... and acts as if he didn't know this, even though... he did.... but that baby is forcefully aborted, and she is then impregnated by her kidnapper

it's just so loving dumb, also the new baby has eldritch 'essence' in it or some poo poo

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I just finished a couple games that I think are worth checking out.

FutureGrind:

quote:

Nail the perfect line in the future's most challenging stunt sport! Grab your bike and hit the rails in this stylish stunt-racer all about tricks, skill, and speed. Chain together huge combos on tracks made of floating rails, but watch out: touch the rail of the wrong color and you'll explode!
It's pretty much what it says it is, but it's well done and the difficulty curve is fairly smooth. Most importantly, going from death to the next trial is very quick, which you'll appreciate by the end. It's on sale this week for $4, so take a look.

The Journey Down:

quote:

In a shady corner of Kingsport Bay, at the outskirts of St Armando, Bwana and his trusted sidekick Kito struggle to make ends meet at their run-down gas station. Little do they know that they are about to be thrown into a spine-tingling adventure that will take them far from home and right into a twisting plot of corruption and danger.
I have a lot of gripes with games that rely on adventure game logic for puzzle solutions, and I tend to steer clear of most point and click games as a result. This one completely avoids that and does everything else pretty well. It's a little rough around the edges at times, but none of the protagonists would want to be in a perfectly smooth game. Wait for a sale on this one, but definitely keep an eye on it.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Video games were a mistake

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I hadn't checked this thread in a while and wondered if I had stumbled into the "Bad Steam Games" thread.

Ironic considering how many people wandered into that thread thinking it was the normal one

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Trip report! I'm playing AI War 2 right now and I'm really, really impressed. The tutorials are simple but efficient, and then you can just jump into a quick-start and get into the roll of stomping the AI and figuring out which path you want to take through the galaxy. They did an absolutely fantastic job of removing basically all the busy-work and cruft: my fleets replenish themselves, engineers automatically repair and claim things, etc. AI War 1 bogged me down with this to the point that I never played it properly, but in this one I'm actually playing it. And so far I'm having fun. The choices I'm making are along the lines of "do I claim this corner of the galaxy? eh I don't need what it has, I'll go up through this middle region instead" and "ooh I want these kinds of turrets because I have tech invested in them" and "what do I research next, I have 70x v-wings but do I want to make them better? or should the other ship-types get them? hmm"

I bought AI War 2 immediately since it's Arcen and they're weird and I want them to live and I've been waiting for a successor to AI War for years, but I won't have time to play until the weekend. They'll probably have a couple good patches by then anyhow. It was nine bucks on GOG (maybe b/c I have AI War on there).

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

ultrafilter posted:

I just finished a couple games that I think are worth checking out.

FutureGrind:

It's pretty much what it says it is, but it's well done and the difficulty curve is fairly smooth. Most importantly, going from death to the next trial is very quick, which you'll appreciate by the end. It's on sale this week for $4, so take a look.

The Journey Down:

I have a lot of gripes with games that rely on adventure game logic for puzzle solutions, and I tend to steer clear of most point and click games as a result. This one completely avoids that and does everything else pretty well. It's a little rough around the edges at times, but none of the protagonists would want to be in a perfectly smooth game. Wait for a sale on this one, but definitely keep an eye on it.

I played Future Grind on the Switch and I was reminded of Uniracers if anyone is familiar with that title. I also give an endorsement for FutureGrind

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I got an extra discount for AI War 2 for owning the first game, so I hopped on that right away. Wound up less than half price, so there would be no point waiting for a half off sale somewhere down the line.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Hmm, I've got one of those, too, but if the first game is any indication, there is going to be a metric shitload of DLC down the line. Might be better to wait for a bundle again.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Man, if any one was thinking "I'd really like to go back and play the exact same almost-decade-old game except now it has more identifiable enemies, more perks, can use music from basically any source, but also has procedurally generated spaceships to hunt and collect like hit playstation game monster rancher - each with their own equippable item to unlock to further customise any ship" then Beat Hazard 2 has you covered in spades.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
Yakuza 0 is amazing. Oh my gosh.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Cardiovorax posted:

Hmm, I've got one of those, too, but if the first game is any indication, there is going to be a metric shitload of DLC down the line. Might be better to wait for a bundle again.

There's one DLC announced (it contains the rest of the Kickstarter rewards that didn't make it into release and is free for backers) - after that they're out of money and the developer shuts down the studio unless he can get some cashflow. Waiting for more DLC is probably not the best plan.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Jamfrost posted:

Yakuza 0 is amazing. Oh my gosh.

its a pretty great game!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

singateco
Jan 28, 2013

singateco posted:

My favorite thing about Arcen games is their weird-rear end tutorialization which involves the devs basically writing their own Gamefaq guides

lol