Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Helsing posted:

:siren:

In celebration of our wonderful free and fair elections I've decided to let the people decide if this toxx succeeded or failed. So between now and the end of the next page I welcome anyone who feels like it to vote on whether just another here failed or passed his toxx clause and I shall merely enact the will of the people.

I vote he's okay, he said "measurable" and you have to either think that poll aggregators are incapable of measuring anything or that the poll aggregators didn't register a measurable change when or after the blackface thing came out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Kreez posted:

Anyone have any insight as to why the Cons in non-Anglo suburban/exurban Montreal get about as many votes as the Marxist-Leninist party, and the Cons in suburban/exurban Quebec City win in landslides?

I have family in both areas, and their communities, lives, and views seem identical to me.

This is baffling to Québécois too - this trend is usually referred to as "le mystère de Québec" in the commentariat.

Québec does have a very different media environment than Montréal does. Montréal talk radio is dominated by Radio-Canada, which is as staid and boring as the CBC is and 98.5fm, which is basically Radio-Canada-lite. It's measured and has both left- and right-wing voices on, but is less likely than Radio-Can to have segments on, like, trans organic farmers raising urban chickens. Montréal has two major newspapers, le Journal de Montréal and La Presse. The JdM is right-wing tabloid trash, but La Presse is just a real newspaper.

Québec is very different - Québec talk radio has Radio-Can but also couple of popular channels of weird americanised angry white men railing about anything that makes traffic worse. These channels are very politically powerful - they might be singlehandedly responsible for the Québec government dropping 400m on a hockey arena that has no team in Québec and they've helped scuttle major public transit projects. Newspaper-wise, they really just have the right-wing tabloid Journal de Québec, and all of these media groups engage in quite a bit of Montréal/elite (those are synonymous)-bashing.

It's hard to separate out cause and effect here, but there's just something weird in the water there.

(Obviously, also, Montréal is very diverse and people from the Montréal suburbs are used to being around non-white, non-francos, whereas people from Québec are not as much.)

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
Does Trudeau really have any other options other than an NDP coalition?

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Helsing posted:

In celebration of our wonderful free and fair elections I've decided to let the people decide if this toxx succeeded or failed. So between now and the end of the next page I welcome anyone who feels like it to vote on whether just another here failed or passed his toxx clause and I shall merely enact the will of the people.

No effect whatsoever. Canadians are some combination of:

1. Too dumb to understand the racist ramifications of blackface and minstrel shows.
2. Too proud to be not-Americans to accept the American origins of blackface and minstrel shows.
3. Too racist themselves to care either way.

The rest of the world cared far more about the blackface than Canadian voters did.

Toxx passed.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Chuka Umana posted:

Bribe Quebec for occasional Bloc support?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

DariusLikewise posted:

Conservative convention says that if a leader loses an election there's an automatic leadership review, so it's not Andy's choice

yeah so that will certainly happen at their convention next year, I more mean that it's going to be very, very hard for Scheer to wrangle his caucus over the next however long until then while everybody is more interested in jockeying for position and currying favour with whoever's next. Whereas if he resigned and let an interim leader deal with that while the various candidates declared their runs publicly it would probably be easier for them to focus on the House and on the more intricate politicking of a minority.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Chuka Umana posted:

Canada doesn't do coalitions. He'll just govern as a minority getting support from at least one other party on any major bills, until he either pisses everyone off and loses a confidence vote, or he decides he's stronger than everybody else at a particular moment and calls a new election hoping for a majority.

TealShark
Mar 22, 2004

I shall duck behind that little garbage car.
Well, it looks like last night has already led to something, between the Liberals holding power and a fresh new Green Party MP in my riding:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/carbon-tax-new-brunswick-higgs-federal-election-1.5330765

quote:

New Brunswick Premier Blaine Higgs says Monday's federal election result means he'll look at how to comply with the Trudeau government's federal climate plan, including the requirement for a carbon tax for consumers.

Higgs signalled Tuesday morning that the Liberal victory, including a decisive win in the popular vote in New Brunswick, may be a turning point in the carbon-tax debate in this province.

"People voted for it, so we have to find a way in New Brunswick to make it work," he said.

That includes exploring a made-in-New Brunswick plan that would meet Ottawa's requirements for an escalating price on fossil fuels from now until 2022.

"I will," Higgs said. "I can't ignore the obvious here. The country has spoken."

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Postess with the Mostest posted:

you have to either think that poll aggregators are incapable of measuring anything or that the poll aggregators didn't register a measurable change

Actually, I can think both those things

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Very excited for Jason Kenney vs Patrick Brown next summer.

Arabian Jesus
Feb 15, 2008

We've got the American Jesus
Bolstering national faith

We've got the American Jesus
Overwhelming millions every day

Hey, do any of you guys have any articles/effort posts about how equalization payments work? I'm getting a lot of those posts today and I'd like to be able to correct some people's misconceptions

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Postess with the Mostest posted:

Okay, I hate to be the gambling stickler but I'm not seeing how the third part was correct.

Leader: 22,817 votes
PPC Bernier: 16,772 votes
Rhino Bernier: 1,072 votes

Rhino Bernier got 1,072 votes which is not greater than the number of votes PPC Bernier lost by (6,045 votes)

You know now that you mention it that food bank is owed its due.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
The narrative that the Conservatives got ripped off by the system last night is in full swing in Alberta. It's kind of empowering to see the absolute despair of some of the most hard core regressives finding out that the system worked against them for once.

The funny thing is that the Conservatives weren't actually ripped off, they actually benefited from fptp on aggregate. They got 35.8% of the seats in the parliament for only 34.4% of the total vote. The parties that got screwed were the NDP and the Greens, but I don't see any news articles yet complaining about how the system robbed those voters.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Chuka Umana posted:

The Bloc also have the seats to get them over the line. But as funny as a Liberal-Bloc coalition would be, it's much more likely that the Libs will just try and run as a minority government rather than through a formal coalition.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The cons on my facebook feed are frothing, sharing Moe's tantrum letter and screaming about how more people voted con than lib so therefore we don't live in a democracy.

Fun times ahead, glory to the losers.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

It was very generous of Andrew to give several press conferences before the election where he repeated that the party with the most seats must form government. He also helpfully ensured that everyone knew a coalition was a serious possibility so really you can't claim that people didn't know what they were voting for.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
I wonder if there will be any self-reflection on the Conservatives part that they are never going to move past 33% by running Alberta-centric campaigns and going hard-right on crime and immigration or if they will just double down on it all in 2 years

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Helsing posted:

It was very generous of Andrew to give several press conferences before the election where he repeated that the party with the most seats must form government. He also helpfully ensured that everyone knew a coalition was a serious possibility so really you can't claim that people didn't know what they were voting for.

Right? It's hilarious

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

DariusLikewise posted:

I wonder if there will be any self-reflection on the Conservatives part that they are never going to move past 33% by running Alberta-centric campaigns and going hard-right on crime and immigration or if they will just double down on it all in 2 years

Given the success other parties around the world have had in doubling down on rightward rhetoric, I'd assume so. Depends who takes the leadership and has power in the inevitable shuffle.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
If any province has the piss offensive stupidity to want to secede from Canada I hope Trump annexes it calls them all Murcia #2 and then they can enjoy their misery until a reasonable American administration can return those lost wayward children back to Canada

Besides the racism that’s the other thing I never understand about Canada politics and why dumbasses think it’s wise to want to break free. I get it’s to rile up the stupids so they can be in power but let Trump and the GOP in America be a warning to that

Kreez
Oct 18, 2003

Pinterest Mom posted:

This is baffling to Québécois too - this trend is usually referred to as "le mystère de Québec" in the commentariat.

Québec does have a very different media environment than Montréal does. Montréal talk radio is dominated by Radio-Canada, which is as staid and boring as the CBC is and 98.5fm, which is basically Radio-Canada-lite. It's measured and has both left- and right-wing voices on, but is less likely than Radio-Can to have segments on, like, trans organic farmers raising urban chickens. Montréal has two major newspapers, le Journal de Montréal and La Presse. The JdM is right-wing tabloid trash, but La Presse is just a real newspaper.

Québec is very different - Québec talk radio has Radio-Can but also couple of popular channels of weird americanised angry white men railing about anything that makes traffic worse. These channels are very politically powerful - they might be singlehandedly responsible for the Québec government dropping 400m on a hockey arena that has no team in Québec and they've helped scuttle major public transit projects. Newspaper-wise, they really just have the right-wing tabloid Journal de Québec, and all of these media groups engage in quite a bit of Montréal/elite (those are synonymous)-bashing.

It's hard to separate out cause and effect here, but there's just something weird in the water there.

(Obviously, also, Montréal is very diverse and people from the Montréal suburbs are used to being around non-white, non-francos, whereas people from Québec are not as much.)

Interesting, thanks for the response. I don't doubt that listening to SRC and being exposed to people who can't trace their ancestry to the first boats across the Atlantic reduces the Con vote by a significant chunk, but surely that alone can't account for those ridings not even being able to hit 10% of the vote. Is there much in the way of media narrative that a vote for the Cons is a wasted vote, that unless you pick a side in the Bloq/NDP vs Liberal fight you're throwing away your vote?

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

tagesschau posted:

The next federal election will be before the next Ontario election. Which means the federal Tories are going to have to suggest Ford go into hiding again, but by then he'll probably have presided over a teachers' strike and a college strike. Maybe more than that, depending on how hard he decides to piss people off.

Next Ontario provincial election is June 2022, assuming Ford doesnt find a way to be so bad he collapses his majority and triggers an election. Next federal election is October 2023 with a VONC being the only way to get one earlier and I doubt the CPC wants that with Scheer holding onto the party reins.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Pinterest Mom posted:

I remember that there was some finger pointing at Quebec radio and its impact on winding people up about Muslims right around the time of the Quebec mosque shooting. It sounded like there was a day or a week of standard self-reflection before everyone kept doing what they were doing. Is that accurate or did things change at all?

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

The polls for party preference were pretty close the whole election between the Liberals and Conservatives. However, the polls for PM preference always clearly favoured JT by 10 points or more and Singh was way down the list. Yes, we don't vote for the PM directly in Canada but a lot of people view it that way. It's not really surprising that the Liberals got a wide margin of a majority and the NDP, under Singh, faltered the way they did.

This was the last poll before the election.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ocrumsprug posted:

Burnaby-North Seymour, definitely a Lib-Con contested riding needing strategic voting to save us from the Sheerpocalyse.

I'll put my account where my mouth is.

:toxx: Sven Robinson is elected in Burnaby-North Seymour.

Apparently Svend's villainy knows no bounds and he has now absconded with my SA account.

Helsing, as duly appointed Sheriff 'round these parts, exercise your authority. I ain't no welsher.

Development
Jun 2, 2016

Mr. Apollo posted:

The polls for party preference were pretty close the whole election between the Liberals and Conservatives. However, the polls for PM preference always clearly favoured JT by 10 points or more and Singh was way down the list. Yes, we don't vote for the PM directly in Canada but a lot of people view it that way. It's not really surprising that the Liberals got a wide margin of a majority and the NDP, under Singh, faltered the way they did.

beaulieu or blanchet? :thunk:

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Mr. Apollo posted:

That poll is old, note Beaulieu as Bloc leader. The last nanos this election had 31-26-20 for preferred pm.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

DariusLikewise posted:

"Is self-reflection when I'm mad about immigrants or when I'm mad about taxes or when I'm mad at Justin Trudeau?"

-Conservative responding to your question

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

https://twitter.com/RobertFife/status/1186664544942415878

I guess whatever Kinsella was doing must have been pretty shady, because he's trying to get out in front of it.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Pinterest Mom posted:

That poll is old, note Beaulieu as Bloc leader. The last nanos this election had 31-26-20 for preferred pm.
Oh geez you're right, my mistake. Still a significant margin for Trudeau over Scheer.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
In case you felt too excited about Maxime Bernier's dramatic collapse, I'm hearing rumours that Hamilton police have started to arrest antifascists who protested him at Mohawk College

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Kreez posted:

Interesting, thanks for the response. I don't doubt that listening to SRC and being exposed to people who can't trace their ancestry to the first boats across the Atlantic reduces the Con vote by a significant chunk, but surely that alone can't account for those ridings not even being able to hit 10% of the vote. Is there much in the way of media narrative that a vote for the Cons is a wasted vote, that unless you pick a side in the Bloq/NDP vs Liberal fight you're throwing away your vote?

I haven’t heard anything like that, it’s really more of a “I don’t think about you at all” thing. The Conservatives just don’t have roots there. There hasn’t been a single Conservative win in greater Montréal since 1988.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Furnaceface posted:

Next Ontario provincial election is June 2022, assuming Ford doesnt find a way to be so bad he collapses his majority and triggers an election. Next federal election is October 2023 with a VONC being the only way to get one earlier and I doubt the CPC wants that with Scheer holding onto the party reins.

I'm assuming they were referring to the average lifespan of minority governments being around 14 months. It's very likely we will be heading to the polls again before 2022

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

extremely difficult task that I needed to pay a secret firm to accomplish

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Gatts posted:

If any province has the piss offensive stupidity to want to secede from Canada I hope Trump annexes it calls them all Murcia #2 and then they can enjoy their misery until a reasonable American administration can return those lost wayward children back to Canada

Besides the racism that’s the other thing I never understand about Canada politics and why dumbasses think it’s wise to want to break free. I get it’s to rile up the stupids so they can be in power but let Trump and the GOP in America be a warning to that

Nah. If you make Alberta & Sask another state, there'll be a push for statehood for DC and Puerto Rico too.

They'll just give it the same status as PR.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Arabian Jesus posted:

Hey, do any of you guys have any articles/effort posts about how equalization payments work? I'm getting a lot of those posts today and I'd like to be able to correct some people's misconceptions

There was a really good one in the previous thread IIRC. I'm on my phone at the moment, but I'll try to find it this evening.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

xtal posted:

In case you felt too excited about Maxime Bernier's dramatic collapse, I'm hearing rumours that Hamilton police have started to arrest antifascists who protested him at Mohawk College

Any links to relevant articles, social media and/or a defense fund would be greatly welcome.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

infernal machines posted:

There was a really good one in the previous thread IIRC. I'm on my phone at the moment, but I'll try to find it this evening.

https://lop.parl.ca/sites/PublicWebsite/default/en_CA/ResearchPublications/200820E

Hover
Jun 14, 2003

Your post hits a tree.
The tree is an ent.
The tree is angry.

Do it ironically posted:

This is what people from Alberta think, pulled from a calgary forum

You can't have a rational debate or conversation with that lmao

Accurate, maybe unintentionally. Alberta communities have been failed by their leaders and are being fed that an oil economy is the solution. The personal is political and these communities breed anger that pushes them further into seemingly bizarre ideas like #wexit. If there is a Canadian Qanon, it will come from Alberta. Disenfranchised workers would be voting NDP in another province but see the Cons are their only out instead because that's what their community says. They didn't reason themselves into "left bad!" so explaining the science or calling them idiot rigpigs certainly isn't going to help.

As a non-Albertan, I'm curious what alternative leftist communities exist in Alberta, if any. The ANDP seems as steeped in oil as everyone else. I mean, we have PT6A and others floating around in here so there must be pockets of supportive leftists talking about actual solutions to Alberta's economy, right?

Hover fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Oct 22, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

ocrumsprug posted:

Apparently Svend's villainy knows no bounds and he has now absconded with my SA account.

Helsing, as duly appointed Sheriff 'round these parts, exercise your authority. I ain't no welsher.

Congratulations on having a stronger conscience than the Prime Minstrel himself.