Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Schneider Heim posted:

I asked because I'm writing a wrestling story that follows kayfabe and it involves the main character busting out a never-before seen move which I have to name for maximum impact, so I'm going to just let them yell it out loud.

The Sodomizer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Schneider Heim posted:

I asked because I'm writing a wrestling story that follows kayfabe and it involves the main character busting out a never-before seen move which I have to name for maximum impact, so I'm going to just let them yell it out loud.

yes do this

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Seams posted:

Wrestlers should scream the name of their finishing move as loud as possible when they do it

Same, but every move.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Kennel posted:

Same, but every move.

My plans foiled because I laid on my back screaming “LADY OF THE LAKE” while my opponent stomped me straight to Hell

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

jesus WEP posted:

ZSJ just screaming HURRAH! ANOTHER YEAR, SURELY THIS ONE WILL BE BETTER THAN THE LAST; THE INEXORABLE MARCH OF PROGRESS WILL LEAD US ALL TO HAPPINESS while wrenching on several body parts at once

ZSJ is really good.

edit: hang on let me rephrase that as a question

ZSJ is really good?

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
yes

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, they tell the commentators which is why Michael Cole always says SHE CALLS IT THE PTO THE PAIGE TAP OUT instead of just PAIGE TAP OUT like a normal person.

This would work better if he had like a regular name "That's a reverse armbreaker neck hold but she calls it the PAIGE TAP OUT" or whatever.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Schneider Heim posted:

When wrestlers debut a new move or finisher, the commentary team is usually given a heads up on what it's called, right? Has there been instances wherein the wrestler themselves say what the move's called?

The Chikara Special fits in with this. Mike Quackenbush and Chris Hero had a lengthy feud where Hero kept ducking a singles match until he got overconfident. The match played up how well the two knew each other and their moves, culminating in Quack busting out a new submission that Hero had no answer to and tapped out. On the DVD, Quack cut a post-match promo where he named it the Chikara Special and threatened to teach it to all of his students so everyone could make Hero tap.

But my favorite story for how a move got named is when Bret Hart started his singles career. Nobody knew how to call his finisher until he did a match on Wrestling Challenge, where Jim Neidhart was on the commentary team. Neidhart referred to it as the Sharpshooter because of course Bret tells him these things.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Schneider Heim posted:

When wrestlers debut a new move or finisher, the commentary team is usually given a heads up on what it's called, right? Has there been instances wherein the wrestler themselves say what the move's called?

That reminds me of Survivor Series 1990 when the Undertaker was supposed to be a surprise mystery man that nobody but Dibiase and Brother Love knew about, and then Gorilla yells "TOMBSTONE!!" when Taker hits it the very first time.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
Wrestlers should always say the name of their finisher, and it should always, always be a pun on their own name.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Alternately be like Jack Evans, loudly declare "Here's a move you've never seen!", do two backflips, a cartwheel and then rake the guy's eyes

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Halloween Jack posted:

Wrestlers should always say the name of their finisher, and it should always, always be a pun on their own name.

You just made me lose The Game

The Game in this case is remembering Kizarney existed

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Pope Corky the IX posted:

That reminds me of Survivor Series 1990 when the Undertaker was supposed to be a surprise mystery man that nobody but Dibiase and Brother Love knew about, and then Gorilla yells "TOMBSTONE!!" when Taker hits it the very first time.

The tombstone had been around a while in wrestling, just nobody in NWA or WWE used it

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

This guy Gets pro wrestling :hai:

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

jesus WEP posted:

ZSJ just screaming HURRAH! ANOTHER YEAR, SURELY THIS ONE WILL BE BETTER THAN THE LAST; THE INEXORABLE MARCH OF PROGRESS WILL LEAD US ALL TO HAPPINESS while wrenching on several body parts at once

:hai:

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Halloween Jack posted:

So which is it? Halloween Jackknife or Halloween Jackhammer?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
No, those are both poo poo. "Jackknife" and "Jackhammer" both sound like something violent. And neither name is long enough.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

No, those are both poo poo. "Jackknife" and "Jackhammer" both sound like something violent. And neither name is long enough.

He calls that the Hit The Road Jack And Don't You Come Back!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
Perfect.

(It's the Overdrive, the best finisher)

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Endless Mike posted:

Yeah, they tell the commentators which is why Michael Cole always says SHE CALLS IT THE PTO THE PAIGE TAP OUT instead of just PAIGE TAP OUT like a normal person.

This would work better if he had like a regular name "That's a reverse armbreaker neck hold but she calls it the PAIGE TAP OUT" or whatever.

wwe commentators are not allowed to say move names. its bleedingly obvious and annoying as hell once you hear, like, any other competent commentary team

vince called everything the WHATTA MANEUVER. vince hates wrestling.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

shiksa posted:

wwe commentators are not allowed to say move names. its bleedingly obvious and annoying as hell once you hear, like, any other competent commentary team

vince called everything the WHATTA MANEUVER. vince hates wrestling.

hey

hey

hey

he called the BIIIIIIIIIIIIIG BACK BODYDROPS

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

El Gallinero Gros posted:

The tombstone had been around a while in wrestling, just nobody in NWA or WWE used it

Was it called a tombstone before undertaker did it? I always assumed the name related to his gimmick.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

My finisher is an avalanche overdrive

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

I'm reminded that Jimmy Havoc yells "Rainmaker!" every time he does his lovely version of it and for some reason I find it very charming in a Laszlo Cravensworth sort of way.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
what's going on with ICW these days? i kept up with it and PROGRESS like three years ago when the scene was hot before the NXT UK deal. i remember hearing talk that they might have to shut down since lionheart died

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

STORM

CRADLE

DRIVERRRR

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Low Desert Punk posted:

what's going on with ICW these days? i kept up with it and PROGRESS like three years ago when the scene was hot before the NXT UK deal. i remember hearing talk that they might have to shut down since lionheart died

Hastened the death of the UK indy scene so Mark Dallas could show his pals the 2 texts Triple H sent him 3 years ago.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Hellblazer187 posted:

Was it called a tombstone before undertaker did it? I always assumed the name related to his gimmick.

It was called that before Taker, but I assume the conversation went something like: "Hey, this guy's an undertaker, what should his finisher be?" "How about a TOMBSTONE piledriver? Get it? Har har har!" "Actually yeah, why not"

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Hellblazer187 posted:

Far as I remember it was just an inverted piledriver. Except in Mexico, it was a Martinete and was a dastardly move to do.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe
Does Vince actually like wrestling? I know it seems like an obvious joke question, but for someone who spends his whole life 24/7 working in wrestling, I somehow can't picture him sitting down and watching a match just for the enjoyment of it.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Vince has a very specific idea of what a good match is, so if that was what was on, I imagine he'd watch and enjoy. Vince Russo is the one I'm not sure actually likes wrestling as much as lovely bigoted melodrama.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

As "The Rock" Don Muraco, he used the Tombstone piledriver, but it was never called a Tombstone. First time I ever heard it called the Tombstone was at Taker's debut.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Undertaker showed up for the "first time" at Survivor Series 1990 but he'd already been on a TV taping that was going to air afterward, so Gorilla accidentally called the Tombstone when he and Piper were supposed to have no idea who this guy was, since he'd already seen it before. Piper tried to cover for him and Gorilla pretty much immediately realized he hosed up, but they just sort of brush it aside afterward.

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

Vince has a very specific idea of what a good match is, so if that was what was on, I imagine he'd watch and enjoy. Vince Russo is the one I'm not sure actually likes wrestling as much as lovely bigoted melodrama.

I've always thought Vince Russo thinks he likes wrestling, but is actually bored by most of it. That's why he always needs to make things more interesting, by adding a gimmick to every match and a swerve to every angle.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
Russo's entire aesthetic sense is down to the parts of tabloid talk shows where they get into staged fistfights. That's what he wants wrestling to be, and that's all he wants it to be. This explains most of the many problems with his approach to it.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Thanks for the discussion. I had always thought the Tombstone was a Taker original. It's so iconic that they just call it that now. It's also fun to reverse-engineer what finishers actually are because I learn new poo poo like modified reverse crossbody grapplefuck or something.

Okay, so a new question. Has anyone tried to make a wrestling promotion simulator? Like you're an indie trying to get a TV deal without getting gobbled up by the fed, something like that.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Schneider Heim posted:

Thanks for the discussion. I had always thought the Tombstone was a Taker original. It's so iconic that they just call it that now. It's also fun to reverse-engineer what finishers actually are because I learn new poo poo like modified reverse crossbody grapplefuck or something.

Okay, so a new question. Has anyone tried to make a wrestling promotion simulator? Like you're an indie trying to get a TV deal without getting gobbled up by the fed, something like that.

that's what games like TEW and EWR ostensibly are.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Schneider Heim posted:

Here's something to gently caress with your head: Bret Hart learned the Sharpshooter from Konnan.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

MassRafTer posted:

Here's something to gently caress with your head: Bret Hart learned the Sharpshooter from Konnan.
Shut the gently caress up. No way!

When did Sting start doing it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

LividLiquid posted:

Shut the gently caress up. No way!

When did Sting start doing it?

Sting got it from the inventor, Riki Choshu