Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

LividLiquid posted:

Shut the gently caress up. No way!

When did Sting start doing it?

after he did quick tours with ajpw, he probably lifted it from watching Riki Choshu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
So did Sting base his gimmick around the Scorpion Deathlock or did it just fall into place? It also refers to a scorpion in the original Japanese name of the move.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
I'm not comfortable with the assertion that Sting ever learned how to do the Sharpshooter.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Schneider Heim posted:

So did Sting base his gimmick around the Scorpion Deathlock or did it just fall into place? It also refers to a scorpion in the original Japanese name of the move.

I believe it fell into place, he took the name Sting and right after he saw the move.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
I always thought that the Sting/Scorpion thing really didn't kick off until he was Crow Sting and having scorpions as part of his goth look was fitting but I did a quick Google and he had them on his dayglo surfer gear too. Huh.

I have even more questions about the Black Scorpion gimmick now.

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

I used to love the crowd all chanting 3D when the Dudleys are mid flight of hitting the 3D!

Oh and the Wassup....

Dudley's ruled!

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm not comfortable with the assertion that Sting ever learned how to do the Sharpshooter.
Back then I actually weirdly viewed them as different moves, despite being so similar because they did them so differently. Did they use different legs? Either way, Sting's whole build between starting the move and locking it in was way different.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

The Scorpion Deathlock usually is done with a wide stance, with one arm around the ankle of the straight leg to hold it and the free hand clutching the foot of the crossed leg (making a grapevine not much unlike the figure four) or just letting that foot hang loose. Bret generally crossed the legs more towards the ankle and on smaller guys hooked his arm around both (with larger guys/longer legs he would apply more like a traditional SD), and would put his hand on a guy's kneepad or tuck it under the legs. The deathlock also is more of a squat where the guy will lean forward, whereas Bret, you'll notice, tended to actually sit back on it (which, by all accounts, really made the move suck to be in).

Probably the closest I can think of to Bret actually applying the Sharpshooter like the Scorpion Deathlock would be Wrestlemania 9, honestly, and that's because he knew it would be loving impossible to actually do it the way he normally did on Yoko (and also so he would be in the best position for the salt in the eyes spot).

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Speaking of the Tombstone, what other moves have been around a while and are now named after a wrestler or their gimmick, instead of whatever it was originally called? Sharpshooter is one, what was the Crippler Crossface called before Benoit if anything?

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Speaking of the Tombstone, what other moves have been around a while and are now named after a wrestler or their gimmick, instead of whatever it was originally called? Sharpshooter is one, what was the Crippler Crossface called before Benoit if anything?

I always liked that they called it the Spicolli Driver in ECW after he passed away, but it never really stuck except with nerds I guess.

Rings of Saturn probably falls into that Crippler Crossface category? I don't know what that thing would have been called before he used it, but that's the only thing I know to call it.

Diamond Cutter is called way more than the Ace Cutter, but what was it even called before it was the Ace Cutter? Just a Cutter?

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Ganso Bomb posted:

I always liked that they called it the Spicolli Driver in ECW after he passed away, but it never really stuck except with nerds I guess.

Rings of Saturn probably falls into that Crippler Crossface category? I don't know what that thing would have been called before he used it, but that's the only thing I know to call it.

Diamond Cutter is called way more than the Ace Cutter, but what was it even called before it was the Ace Cutter? Just a Cutter?

Johnny Ace called it the Ace Crusher/Crusher. It was only after DDP that people started calling it a cutter.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Admiral Joeslop posted:

The Ace Crusher -> Diamond Cutter comes to mind

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Ganso Bomb posted:

I always think of it as an Ace Crusher purely because that's what Homicide called it, I assume from watching Johnny Ace in All Japan on tapes. And if that's good enough for Homicide it's good enough for me.

FunMerrania
Mar 3, 2013

Blast Processing

Admiral Joeslop posted:

It was just called a crossface(crossface neck crank/crossface facelock) iirc.

BodyMassageMachine
Nov 24, 2006

:yeah:

Daniel Bryan’s crossface was the “LeBell Lock” for a while before becoming the “Yes/No Lock;” I’m assuming it would have continued to be the “Crippler Crossface” if Benoit hadn’t Benoit’d.

Edit: the Rock Bottom, Stunner, Pedigree, etc.; the Attitude Era names for moves seem to be the ones that stick the longest.

BodyMassageMachine fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Oct 23, 2019

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
Bryan's move has always been slightly different, though; it's a crossface from an omoplata setup.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe
On the flip side, not many people give the chokeslam a name. It's usually just called a chokeslam.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Blast Fantasto posted:

Johnny Ace called it the Ace Crusher/Crusher. It was only after DDP that people started calling it a cutter.

Derp, Ace Crusher not Cutter. Shows how much DDP did to change the perception of that move and who is most associated with it at first thought for many of us.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Excalibur would call it a Ace Crusher in PWG idk if he still is in aew

BodyMassageMachine
Nov 24, 2006

Move name preference question: clothesline or lariat?

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
They're different things. That being said, lariat.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

They're different things. That being said, lariat.

I've never been 100% clear on the difference.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hellblazer187 posted:

a lariat is what Stan Hansen used to kill fools back in the day.

(note: Stan Hansen loving owned)

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Hellblazer187 posted:

A clothesline is when you stick your arm out and don't move it and someone runs into it. You can do a standing clothesline or a diving one from the top rope or a running one. A lariat is when you throw your arm at someone. JBL's Clothesline from Hell is the best example of an actual lariat.

Also it's fun to yell LARIATOOOOOOOOOOOOO

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

BodyMassageMachine posted:

Move name preference question: clothesline or lariat?

lariatoooo

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Liontamer has seemingly taken over for elevated crab. Vader Bomb for the second rope corner slingshot splash. Hurricanrana & Frankensteiner for their respective headscissor takedowns.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
the Irish whip used to be a guys finishing move

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

I always assumed JBL’s lariat looked good because he hit dudes as hard as he could

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

jesus WEP posted:

I always assumed JBL’s lariat looked good because he hit dudes as hard as he could

Yeah, he very much followed the Hansen rule of “just steamroll them with your bicep and let god sort it out”, although that Heathgif (:dadjoke:) shows him working it real soft

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

oldskool posted:

Vader Bomb for the second rope corner slingshot splash.
Is that what they call it now?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

frankenfreak posted:

Is that what they call it now?

That's so cool!

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

A clothesline is when you stick your arm out and don't move it and someone runs into it.... A lariat is when you throw your arm at someone.

i always think that this is a bit of a retcon and originally the difference was whether it happened in the WWF or WCW

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

shiksa posted:

the Irish whip used to be a guys finishing move

the original irish whip was more like an ippon seoi than what we call an irish whip now

TheCool69
Sep 23, 2011
Thinking about Seth and Fiend and how lame ot really was, I want to know some real blood feuds or rivalries that had real heat and satisfying and beliavable end?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
remember when Bray could have been a legit main event guy, but he never loving won an important match

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

The Cameo posted:

Yeah, he very much followed the Hansen rule of “just steamroll them with your bicep and let god sort it out”, although that Heathgif (:dadjoke:) shows him working it real soft

At least in Hansen's "defense" he's practically blind without glasses so he just throws his arm hoping to connect with something.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Randaconda posted:

remember when Bray could have been a legit main event guy, but he never loving won an important match
He won the Elimination Chamber! which was just to set him up for Orton’s make-good Wrestlemania® Moment™

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

Alaois posted:

the original irish whip was more like an ippon seoi than what we call an irish whip now
https://twitter.com/catchwrestling/status/1092452756248543232

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

and don't even get me started on what passes for an ura nage in pro wresting these days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

TheCool69 posted:

Thinking about Seth and Fiend and how lame ot really was, I want to know some real blood feuds or rivalries that had real heat and satisfying and beliavable end?

Undertaker destroyed Edge in an awesome match and followed it up by throwing him into Hell.