Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Sickening posted:

Yes its for real. As of this morning, it seems its one of these assessment tests that companies are using for applicants. I really don't understand it purpose when used for people who already work for you.

Arent you on your way out of that job? Maybe the CIO just wants to use the scores to justify people leaving.

I once worked at a place that had us take these strength finder tests. HR put a TON of work into this big corporate event where people took the test got the scores and talked about it. It mustve cost them thousands to stage the event. The only end result I could see was people putting their strengths in their email signatures. It was pretty quickly forgotten about after that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Sickening posted:

Yes its for real. As of this morning, it seems its one of these assessment tests that companies are using for applicants. I really don't understand it purpose when used for people who already work for you.

The same purpose it's used for in applicants, confirming biases and doing class and racial discrimination.

There is zero scientific basis for any of these tests, even the guy who originally floated the concept said they were bullshit and wished they would go away.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Super Soaker Party! posted:

I....don't?

Look I usually don't go all America rahrah jingoistic bullshit, especially since the past 20 years have made it real fuckin hard to do that with any semblance of sincerity, but Americans literally died in multiple wars for the right to vote and to uphold our system of government slash give the middle finger to kings and dictators. They didn't die for the right not to vote, and anyone who doesn't vote is in fact part of the problem and isn't "nobly avoiding the fray" or "taking a stand" or any other such crap. If more of the moderates had voted in the past 5 elections we might have avoided this sequence of presidents (Obama was....I was going to say not a war criminal but then I remembered the hugely escalated drone strikes and his implementation of Newt Gingrich's lovely health plan from 1994 so I guess I'll just say at least he didn't start any MORE foreign wars. Edit: to be clear I'm only mentioning his misdeeds since people seem to think he was a good president - I didn't feel it necessary to mention but I guess I will that obviously the bookends to his terms were respectively a dumbass war criminal who was incompetent at reading intelligence reports and a literal fat monkey who can't actually read at all and <redacted to avoid Lowtax getting another visit from the Secret Service>).

And if we all showed a little more interest maybe we could get some real positive changes to the system that would help fix the problems, like all the things I mentioned (instant run-off alone would go a long way towards eliminating extreme results since candidates would have to actually try and appeal to the broadest swath of people). But everyone goes "Congress is terrible! Except my dude he's good" and just votes back in their Congress person, and we get what 20% of us voted for.

P.S. And I'll go out on a limb and call for if not the abolition of the electoral college, at least implementing the workaround a bunch of states have already done where the winner of the popular vote gets the state's electoral votes.

In the interest of not going fullblown D&D or being a snarky rear end in a top hat, I'm just going to say that there are assumptions in your post that show that we're so far apart politically that I'm not even in your Overton Window.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

BaseballPCHiker posted:

The only end result I could see was people putting their strengths in their email signatures. It was pretty quickly forgotten about after that.

They for sure jammed whatever confirmation bias they wanted into the results to justify raises / promotions for people they liked. It's hard to avoid discrimination liability when playing favorites. Having test results to point to and shout 'they earned it!' absolves them of (their mostly internal) guilt.

If your company is collecting information that doesn't seem to make sense, there's a 99% chance it's so management can justify unethical decisions.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Advantage of being expat: I have no voting rights.

I have voting rights in my home country, but since I have 0 interests there I don't vote.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

unbutthurtable posted:

also its really definitely racist

like if anyone faced career repercussions based the results of an IQ test, I'm pretty sure there's a lot of legal precedent for it being illegal racial discrimination due to biases in the test material
False. See Jordan v. New London, 2000.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/court-oks-barring-high-iqs-cops/story?id=95836

Heffer
May 1, 2003

I, the enlightened CIO, require my employees to complete the "Which Muppet Are You?" Examination.

I find a mix of Tellys and Grovers make for an efficient support staff.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Ataxerxes posted:

Here in Finland you almost allways get access to private healthcare as a part of your job, but what is covered depends on your companys plan. If something is covered you don't pay anything. One cloud service company advertised jobs with the disclaimer "All our employees have full private dental for free!".

I wish I could get my family and friends to move to Finland. Their healthcare and education system are envious and it's basically like midwest America in terms of weather.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
Toss those Oscars right in the trash where they belong :smuggo:

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Heffer posted:

I, the enlightened CIO, require my employees to complete the "Which Muppet Are You?" Examination.

Which Muppet Puppet Are You?

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Sometimes you just gotta have these things ready to slam on the table. Interesting read for sure.

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

Correct--the key term is adverse impact. He'd need to successfully argue that the cutoff disproportionally affected a protected class. It'd be possible if the score cutoff was low enough to exclude a significant portion of whites, East Asians, etc., but it wasn't and he tried arguing age discrimination instead.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
Man we are sitting on a time bomb of a disaster and I'm having a hard time getting people to see the light. Right now developers have the ability to create new networks in our GCP VPCs. We dont allow global routing in these VPCs so its usually no problem. HOWEVER, we have some data migrations going on and occassionally we peer VPCs together in order to avoid passing the data over slower Transit networks (6gbps vs 2gbps for petabytes of data). The problem is you can't fine tune the exported/imported routes over these peering relationships. Eventually what's going to happen is a peered route is going to overlap with a well established AWS subnet and break routing.

I'm trying to have these network creations be owned by networking (eg: myself) but I am apparently fighting against the tide on this one.

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost

Heffer posted:

As long as you don't let any Grovers make it to an architect role. :grovertoot:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

When we start GoonIT and I'm your CIO, I'm going to make all of you take a "what is my ideal Lord of the Rings romantic partner" online quiz and fire you with cause based on the results.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

CLAM DOWN posted:

When we start GoonIT and I'm your CIO, I'm going to make all of you take a "what is my ideal Lord of the Rings romantic partner" online quiz and fire you with cause based on the results.

Spoiler: Everyone gets Gollum. Regardless of whether they deserve love or not.

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice

I....don't?

Look I usually don't go all America rahrah jingoistic bullshit, especially since the past 20 years have made it real fuckin hard to do that with any semblance of sincerity, but Americans literally died in multiple wars for the right to vote and to uphold our system of government slash give the middle finger to kings and dictators. They didn't die for the right not to vote, and anyone who doesn't vote is in fact part of the problem and isn't "nobly avoiding the fray" or "taking a stand" or any other such crap. If more of the moderates had voted in the past 5 elections we might have avoided this sequence of presidents (Obama was....I was going to say not a war criminal but then I remembered the hugely escalated drone strikes and his implementation of Newt Gingrich's lovely health plan from 1994 so I guess I'll just say at least he didn't start any MORE foreign wars. Edit: to be clear I'm only mentioning his misdeeds since people seem to think he was a good president - I didn't feel it necessary to mention but I guess I will that obviously the bookends to his terms were respectively a dumbass war criminal who was incompetent at reading intelligence reports and a literal fat monkey who can't actually read at all and <redacted to avoid Lowtax getting another visit from the Secret Service>).

And if we all showed a little more interest maybe we could get some real positive changes to the system that would help fix the problems, like all the things I mentioned (instant run-off alone would go a long way towards eliminating extreme results since candidates would have to actually try and appeal to the broadest swath of people). But everyone goes "Congress is terrible! Except my dude he's good" and just votes back in their Congress person, and we get what 20% of us voted for.

P.S. And I'll go out on a limb and call for if not the abolition of the electoral college, at least implementing the workaround a bunch of states have already done where the winner of the popular vote gets the state's electoral votes.

lol america did not go to war "for the right to vote and to uphold our system of government slash give the middle finger to kings and dictators"

have you read a single book since like a 6th grade social studies textbook?

and wrt to obama not starting wars: libya? yemen? etc

moderates got us here, champ

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

Sepist posted:

Man we are sitting on a time bomb of a disaster and I'm having a hard time getting people to see the light. Right now developers have the ability to create new networks in our GCP VPCs. We dont allow global routing in these VPCs so its usually no problem. HOWEVER, we have some data migrations going on and occassionally we peer VPCs together in order to avoid passing the data over slower Transit networks (6gbps vs 2gbps for petabytes of data). The problem is you can't fine tune the exported/imported routes over these peering relationships. Eventually what's going to happen is a peered route is going to overlap with a well established AWS subnet and break routing.

I'm trying to have these network creations be owned by networking (eg: myself) but I am apparently fighting against the tide on this one.

Just remember: nobody likes someone who says I told you so

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice

goddamn, I could have sworn there was a firefighter case in CT that went the other way

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Putting my mod hat on for a second - Please take your debates about the current shitshow that is American politics to D&D. Thanks in advance.

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice

CLAM DOWN posted:

Putting my mod hat on for a second - Please take your debates about the current shitshow that is American politics to D&D. Thanks in advance.

i will only debate in c-spam, but otherwise fair enough

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Ok Putin.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

You're the first one I'd fire in GoonIT LLC.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

CLAM DOWN posted:

You're the first one I'd fire in GoonIT LLC.

Settle down Lee Harvey.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
I'm sorry for contributing to the stupid U.S. politics derail.

In thread content, someone just found out that the sso requests we accept don't require a cert to be accepted. Oh, we ask for one, but they can connect with and without it. :allears:

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Sickening posted:

The CIO has mandated that everyone under him must take an IQ/Aptitude test. He sent it out today and its due tomorrow. No, he didn't think that some folks are going to be out because of vacation and other reasons. No, he won't give allowances for them to take it when they get back. He says "its an automatic fail".

I don't know how you fail an IQ/Aptitude test exactly. I don't suspect he would pass though.

The only difficult thing about this is deciding whether to take it honestly, confident that your own score will exceed his by at least one standard deviation, or to tank it so hard that you end up at about 70 and then dare them to do something about it.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

CLAM DOWN posted:

What about CanPol? Are press dinners now Black Face affairs?

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

unbutthurtable posted:

goddamn, I could have sworn there was a firefighter case in CT that went the other way

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ricci_v._DeStefano

Case doesn't go in your favor--validity of testing was upheld. Firefighter exam, none of the black candidates scored highly enough relative to peers to qualify for positions. City throws out the exam so they don't get sued for discrimination. White people sue city for discrimination instead. SC decided that because the test program is fair, the rationale behind throwing it out is discriminatory, and the city loses.

My last company tested everyone with the CCAT. People scoring too high relative to their position supposed to be a good indicator that they'd be unhappy employees, but that's a foregone conclusion at a company with regular layoffs. The questions are not difficult, but it's a race against the clock to answer them. It's basically a proxy for "years since attending high school." If challenged in court, I suspect it would be difficult to demonstrate that the test is relevant to job duties.
Here's a sample report with suggested scoring by occupation: https://www.criteriacorp.com/solution/ScoreReports/CCATScoreReport.pdf Worker bees are low 30s, and VPs/other ubermench are mid 30s.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I can't believe how many loving gotchas there are with putting together servers. There needs to be a PCPartsPicker.com but for servers.

The 1U Quad-CPU SuperMicro I was looking at is only VMWare Certified up to version 5.5 which is like 2012 era, so that could be a problem.

As a backup plan I'm looking at the Proliant DL560 Gen9, which is a Quad-CPU 2U and has 14nm Intel so I might be able to get similar compute density per U.

E5-4620 v4 is 10 cores and 20 threads

E5-4627 v4 is the higher model but it is 10 cores and no hyperthreading? In a 14nm server CPU? Like what the gently caress...

Also is there anywhere besides eBay to get big-boy ram (like terabytes worth of DDR4 64gb sticks) without getting annihilated on price? Consumer desktop ram is commoditized so it's easy to shop for bottom dollar but that falls apart for datacenter pricing.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

That's why we have an HP consulting company build our ESX boxes for us. I'll pay them so I don't have to gently caress around with compatibility.

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

Maybe this is just the field I work in but speccing out servers, picking parts that can handle business requirements and are actually in stock without 6 month lead times, getting them assembled, and then finally getting all that poo poo shipped to a place with electricity and internet and plugged in is a really valuable and apparently rapidly vanishing skill.

You can find hundreds of idiots in any metro area who can type "terraform apply" into a macbook (myself included), but I've only ever worked with one person who's been able to competently deliver more than like 10 servers at once, and I've interviewed dozens of people I wouldn't even trust to type "terraform apply".

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I don't deal with that poo poo anymore. That's what VAR's are for. Email specs, or if specs aren't clear talk to their SE, and they put all that poo poo together. I don't like to think about hardware at all anymore to be honest.

poo poo, we're looking at HP GreenLake for some dumbass reason and then we really won't have to think about hardware at all.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Zero VGS posted:

I can't believe how many loving gotchas there are with putting together servers. There needs to be a PCPartsPicker.com but for servers.

The 1U Quad-CPU SuperMicro I was looking at is only VMWare Certified up to version 5.5 which is like 2012 era, so that could be a problem.

As a backup plan I'm looking at the Proliant DL560 Gen9, which is a Quad-CPU 2U and has 14nm Intel so I might be able to get similar compute density per U.

E5-4620 v4 is 10 cores and 20 threads

E5-4627 v4 is the higher model but it is 10 cores and no hyperthreading? In a 14nm server CPU? Like what the gently caress...

Also is there anywhere besides eBay to get big-boy ram (like terabytes worth of DDR4 64gb sticks) without getting annihilated on price? Consumer desktop ram is commoditized so it's easy to shop for bottom dollar but that falls apart for datacenter pricing.

This is kind of what you get if you decide to whitebox things. That's one reason Dell and HP charge a premium, though I dislike HP because it seems like you have to use a VAR to properly do the quotes anyway. Dell at least you can get a workable box pretty easily from the configurator.

Though that said, good luck adding anything more than RAM to a Dell server. Need another PCIe card? Well you'll need another riser card, but which riser config you need depends on what server model you have and its current riser config and oh yes is there 1 CPU or 2 and also thanks for emailing me, your new Dell rep, but I just stopped being your Dell rep 2 microseconds ago and here's your new rep - hello thank you for contacting Dell I'm out of the office please ask my backup who you can reach at this number.

Followed by the backup and your new Dell rep both getting you quotes a week later that don't match and are the wrong riser config anyway but you'll only discover that THREE weeks later when you have the server cover off and realize the card you were sent is 2 inches too long for the physical space it's supposed to go in.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

This is kind of what you get if you decide to whitebox things. That's one reason Dell and HP charge a premium, though I dislike HP because it seems like you have to use a VAR to properly do the quotes anyway. Dell at least you can get a workable box pretty easily from the configurator.

Though that said, good luck adding anything more than RAM to a Dell server. Need another PCIe card? Well you'll need another riser card, but which riser config you need depends on what server model you have and its current riser config and oh yes is there 1 CPU or 2 and also thanks for emailing me, your new Dell rep, but I just stopped being your Dell rep 2 microseconds ago and here's your new rep - hello thank you for contacting Dell I'm out of the office please ask my backup who you can reach at this number.

Followed by the backup and your new Dell rep both getting you quotes a week later that don't match and are the wrong riser config anyway but you'll only discover that THREE weeks later when you have the server cover off and realize the card you were sent is 2 inches too long for the physical space it's supposed to go in.

I glad I rang up SuperMicro today. I like how their support answers with "hello?!", I guess it just transferred the call to a guy's personal phone and he was confused for a minute.

Anyway, he revealed to me that while there's no official 1U Quad-CPU server besides the end-of-life SYS-8017R-TF+ that I found on NewEgg, there *is* a motherboard called the X10QBL which is a Quad-CPU and can be paired with the 1U SC818A-1K43LPB chassis.

That motherboard takes 14nm broadwell CPUs, and still uses DDR3 ram. So it's like the perfect cutoff point where I can get good power efficiency from the CPU before I get into the crazy expense of DDR4 ram and post-broadwell Xeons. It seems to have proper VMware certification too, and because it isn't EOL, I can allegedly purchase it through my vendor.

edit:

... aaand so much for that idea, turns out the E7-8800 v4 series Broadwell CPUs that I need can't be bought for less than $2000 each, apparently because they only work for 4+ sockets mimimum, so they are super niche, no supply and still demand. All 16 would be $32000.

I had a coworker point me toward AMD and I'm actually pretty impressed. The "EPYC 7601" CPU can be easily found for $1000 each and at 32 cores I'd only need 8 of them. SuperMicro makes a 1U dual CPU server to take them, and because it has 32 ram slots, I can use 32gb DDR4 sticks. 4TB of 32gb DDR4 sticks costs $11000 while 4TB of 64gb DDR4 costs $18000, so I dodge a huge premium there too.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Oct 24, 2019

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

Somehow I've kept the same Dell rep for the last three years, but yeah, had a dozen the two years before that.

I've never had a problem with upgrading the handful of PowerEdge R-whatevers that make up my babby VMware cluster. Crucial RAM and retail boxed Intel 10G card just worked.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

CLAM DOWN posted:

If I'm gay for Gollum do I get a promotion? Or does that put me as Helpdesk lead?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Vargatron posted:

If I'm gay for Gollum do I get a promotion? Or does that put me as Helpdesk lead?

Senior Director of End User Help Services And Executive Support And Scaled Agile Release Train Caboose.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

What speciality is this company?

5er
Jun 1, 2000

My department is pretty much married to our Dell inside sales reps. Their VAR is great... but ya gotta make sure that you get the prosupport warranty. My associate made the mistake of buying a few computers last year with just the basic warranty, and the people you have to go through for support on the 'basic' tier are every reason why outsourced support should be federally outlawed.

HP has a couple nice machines, but they've never returned emails or calls after any of their lunch and learn things. I at least appreciate the two free lunches they've bought me in the past 3 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Contingency posted:

Correct--the key term is adverse impact. He'd need to successfully argue that the cutoff disproportionally affected a protected class. It'd be possible if the score cutoff was low enough to exclude a significant portion of whites, East Asians, etc., but it wasn't and he tried arguing age discrimination instead.
It's not sufficient to argue that the cutoff disproportionately affected a protected class. You also need to successfully argue either that the test is unrelated to the performance of job duties, or that the cutoff disproportionately affects a protected class in ways that aren't explained by the structural biases of the system at large.

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Sometimes you just gotta have these things ready to slam on the table. Interesting read for sure.
Of course it's cops.