Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Randaconda posted:

remember when Bray could have been a legit main event guy, but he never loving won an important match

Has Bray won a single feud?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

He won the feud with Ambrose, pretty sure. Win via exploding TV, win via ambulance match in the blowoff

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

TheCool69 posted:

Thinking about Seth and Fiend and how lame ot really was, I want to know some real blood feuds or rivalries that had real heat and satisfying and beliavable end?
Minoru Suzuki and Jushin Liger just the other week there

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

raven vs. chris benoit. benoit works his way through the whole flock and then in the climactic battle the last half of the match is mostly benoit beating the poo poo out of raven for loving him over so much

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Alaois posted:

the original irish whip was more like an ippon seoi than what we call an irish whip now

the whole logic of running off of an irish whip is based on that being the counter to the original version, crazy to think about

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

CityMidnightJunky posted:

On the flip side, not many people give the chokeslam a name. It's usually just called a chokeslam.

am I misremembering or was it Tazz who would always yell THE DOOZLE!!! when Kane had people up for a chokeslam. I feel like it was THE DOOZLE.

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon
goozle

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

goozle is the carny name for the single arm pre-chokeslam choke

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

oh but seriously I posted:

raven vs. chris benoit. benoit works his way through the whole flock and then in the climactic battle the last half of the match is mostly benoit beating the poo poo out of raven for loving him over so much

that was a good feud

Raven was underutilized in WCW, especially considering how over he was

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Randaconda posted:

that was a good feud

Raven was underutilized in WCW, especially considering how over he was
I agree with you, but he was hooked on heroin at the time.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

On the flip side, not many people give the chokeslam a name. It's usually just called a chokeslam.

I was going to say some announcers would call it a goozle but apparently that’s just the setup move with the hand on the throat? Literally just learned that now after looking it up

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

LividLiquid posted:

I agree with you, but he was hooked on heroin at the time.

Today's wrestlers just don't commit to the gimmick.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013

TheCool69 posted:

Thinking about Seth and Fiend and how lame ot really was, I want to know some real blood feuds or rivalries that had real heat and satisfying and beliavable end?

Austin v HHH back in the day was this for me.

Fully Loaded 99: HHH wins a 1 contenders match against the Rock. Stone Cold retains the WWF title against Undertaker in a first blood match, finally ending his feud with Vince McMahon who is exiled from WWF.

Summerslam 99: after weeks of debate and chaos about who the number one contender is, Mick Foley wins the WWF title in a triple threat match also featuring HHH and Austin.

Raw: the night after Summerslam, HHH pins Foley to win his first world title. Apparently Austin didn't like HHH irl and refused to drop the title to him directly.

Unforgiven 99: not too clear on the details here but HHH wins a six pack challenge match to retain the WWF title.

No Mercy 99: Austin traps HHH in a room with rattlesnake. HHH barely escapes but lets the world believe that he was mutilated by the snake as a ruse to ambush Stone Cold. At the No Mercy main event, Austin beats the hell out of HHH but loses thanks to botched interference from the Rock

Survivor Series 99: Austin gets run over by a mystery assailant, later revealed to be Rikishi who was doing it for Da Rock. Austin is injured for most of 2000. HHH goes on to marry Stephanie, reform DX, retire Mick Foley, feud with the Rock/Jericho/Angle and turn face by default.

No Mercy 00: Austin returns from injury and beats Rikishi within an inch of his life. HHH was a face at the time and I think had a match against Benoit?

Survivor Series 00: Rikishi reveals he has an accomplice in his devious schemes. A mysterious black gloved individual has been trying to murder Austin by trying to drop pianos and anvils on him. While Austin is getting a beat down from Rikishi and Kurt Angle, HHH runs out to make the save (HHH hates Angle). HHH then attacks Austin and places a black glove on, revealing HE ordered the hit and run last year. Austin and HHH face off at Survivor Series in a pretty lovely match where Austin again gets all the offence in. HHH and his new hitmen, the Radicalz attempt to lure Austin into another car accident but Austin turns the tables and picks up HHH in his car using a crane and drops him from about 40 feet up. Very impressive.

Armageddon 00: HHH and Austin are bit players in the six man cage match. My memory is fuzzy here but at one point HHH returns and pedigrees Austin through the announce table, and debuts his Motorhead theme.

Royal Rumble 01: HHH decides Kurt Angle isn't a worthy WWF champion and looks to take the title away from him. Austin interfered and cost HHH the belt. HHH returns the favour and beats up Austin as he's making his way out to the Rumble match. Austin wins anyway.

No Way Out 01: The big one. Austin and HHH settle things once and for all in a two out of three falls match with each fall having a stipulation. Singles match, Street Fight and finally a Steel Cage. This is such a wonderful blow off match to an 18 month long story. Seriously go and watch it. Remembering how great this match was actually got me to renew my network subscription.

After this, Austin went on to face The Rock and HHH faced Undertaker in two more absolute bangers. Then both did the unthinkable and decided to actually TEAM UP as the Two Man Power Trip. It was a bit of a meh storyline, but apparently the plan was to revisit their feud with another match, only this time HHH would be the face and Austin the heel.

I'm sure I've missed a bunch of stuff out but for my money that's one of the best feud enders of all time.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
What caused the rift that resulted in Janela leaving CZW? Money?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

El Gallinero Gros posted:

What caused the rift that resulted in Janela leaving CZW? Money?

I believe the promoter tried to hardball the talent into not working for other groups in the area, which includes GCW which Janela is heavily involved with.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I actually found the conclusion of the third fall in that blow off match very unsatisfying. The match itself was great but I hated the finish.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Hellblazer187 posted:

I actually found the conclusion of the third fall in that blow off match very unsatisfying. The match itself was great but I hated the finish.

Same, it pissed me off big time back then. If we're talking about the Austin and HHH blow off.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I loved The Two Man Power Trip but on the other hand I also loving loved Paranoid Heel Austin losing his loving mind while trying to lead The Alliance. I know blah blah it was bad for business blah blah I don't care it was some of my most enjoyable memories of WWF/E in the early 2000s. I loving love Steve Austin.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I really don't know where to put this but this seems to be the best place for it (I'd put this in the best/worst matches thread but it isn't exactly talking about an actual match), but does anyone use the GRAPPL app? I like the concept of listing and rating the matches you've seen but the interface leaves a lot to be desired (can't search matches very well, have to trawl down a list of shows per promotion, etc). Are there any good alternatives?

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

I loved The Two Man Power Trip but on the other hand I also loving loved Paranoid Heel Austin losing his loving mind while trying to lead The Alliance. I know blah blah it was bad for business blah blah I don't care it was some of my most enjoyable memories of WWF/E in the early 2000s. I loving love Steve Austin.

Paranoid Austin divorced from business really does rule. Especially when the whole reason he joins the Alliance is because VInce hugs Kurt Angle now.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Schneider Heim posted:

I really don't know where to put this but this seems to be the best place for it (I'd put this in the best/worst matches thread but it isn't exactly talking about an actual match), but does anyone use the GRAPPL app? I like the concept of listing and rating the matches you've seen but the interface leaves a lot to be desired (can't search matches very well, have to trawl down a list of shows per promotion, etc). Are there any good alternatives?

Cagematch I guess but there's no app.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Austin was just so good as a heel in 2002. His match at Summerslam with Angle was amazing, even with the DQ finish.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

I hate Austin!

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

Austin was just so good as a heel in 2002. His match at Summerslam with Angle was amazing, even with the DQ finish.

To this day I remember the 1,000 yard state Austin gives when hugging Vince for the first time. He was such a great lunatic.

The segments with Angle and Vince are also the legitimately funniest the WWE has ever done.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

They should have Kept Austin Weird

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007
Without evil there could be no good, so it must be good to be evil sometime !

TheCool69 posted:

The Megapowers.

Followed by Macho King vs Ultimate Warrior

Followed by Macho Man vs Jake the Snake (though that one didn't have a satisfying blowoff, as it was Taker who kayfabe ended Jake's run)

Macho had some great feuds, is what I'm saying.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Flair vs Vader was pretty good, with a great Starrcade match

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Jerusalem posted:

:yeah:

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Yeah, but when the Giant was in WCW, it was AAAAAAAHHHHTHECHOOOKESSSSSLLLLLAAAAAAAAMMMMM!!

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Stone Cold's heel theme was good stuff (the one that wasn't Disturbed) and I love it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCfiwgEE-Qk

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Every once in a while I'm reminded of that Disturbed song and that the lyrics sounded like "Step off 'cause you're the next woman I'm gonna kill you don't believe it but I'm betting that you will"

And I'm pretty sure the chorus is "I'M KILLING THE LIVING INSIDE YOU" which is loving embarrassing.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
There was a period in rock music where all the lyrics were just a report on a domestic violence incident.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Yeah, but when the Giant was in WCW, it was AAAAAAAHHHHTHECHOOOKESSSSSLLLLLAAAAAAAAMMMMM!!

Did they ever actually call it the Show Stopper in WWE or was that just the official name?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

DeathChicken posted:

Stone Cold's heel theme was good stuff (the one that wasn't Disturbed) and I love it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCfiwgEE-Qk

fatherofmustard
May 15, 2018

Every once in a while I'm reminded of that Disturbed song and that the lyrics sounded like "Step off 'cause you're the next woman I'm gonna kill you don't believe it but I'm betting that you will"

And I'm pretty sure the chorus is "I'M KILLING THE LIVING INSIDE YOU" which is loving embarrassing.

I'm baking the lemon inside you!

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

fatherofmustard posted:

I'm baking the lemon inside you!

Too many limes, too many limes

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Triple H's theme at one point was about working in a deli.

"Yo let's make a sandwich for that Triple H"

and

"ALL YOUR STUPID ROLLS"

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

I seem to recall that the actual reality of the Summerslam 99 finish being what it was came down to Jesse Ventura being in office at the time and not wanting to have his face next to the company’s big bad guy, raising his hand, after weeks of putting them on clear opposite sides in the build. He felt it wouldn’t be good for his image as governor. Austin had no problems dropping the title to just about anyone if they were built up as a legit challenger, especially then, since he was on the way to neck surgery in a couple of months anyway. The Foley win was Vince compromising with Jesse, not with Austin.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe

Triple H's theme at one point was about working in a deli.

"Yo let's make a sandwich for that Triple H"

and

"ALL YOUR STUPID ROLLS"

Test's theme, of course, has no lyrics. If it does I never want to know what they are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Test's theme, of course, has no lyrics. If it does I never want to know what they are.

One part sounds like "SITTIN' DOWN WITH THE COCHISE"