Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

To defeat the lynel, stab it until it dies.

Or just avoid them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

ItBreathes posted:

just avoid them

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

i'm real bad at perfect deflections and dodges so i guess i'll just need to practice. and no not for the shock arrows (i had accumulated enough to not even need any at that point) i saw one in the Ruined Colliseum, which i assume is a shrine quest.

You almost have to get good at guardians but at the same time you can pass the game without killing one by running away. Like a little weakling. And then you find out beast mode Ganon is a chump compared to two guardians or one Lynel.

ItBreathes posted:

To defeat the lynel, stab it until it dies.

Or just avoid them.

This has been my philosophy. Needless to say I’m not a twitch superstar.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Real talk, one of my most fundamental problems with the game was that its lethality and the weapon damage system combined to make an almost perfectly-tuned negative reinforcement training for me and combat. By the time I had a good amount of health, my gut reaction was basically to just not fight anything. Then I'm extremely bad at it when it becomes necessary in the "dungeons" - I eventually bumbled my way through, but largely ran past the guardians and tried the final Ganon fight one time before giving up on it forever. Just not for me.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Captain Hygiene posted:

Real talk, one of my most fundamental problems with the game was that its lethality and the weapon damage system combined to make an almost perfectly-tuned negative reinforcement training for me and combat. By the time I had a good amount of health, my gut reaction was basically to just not fight anything. Then I'm extremely bad at it when it becomes necessary in the "dungeons" - I eventually bumbled my way through, but largely ran past the guardians and tried the final Ganon fight one time before giving up on it forever. Just not for me.

I’ve always looked at it as a fun exploration game with puzzle dungeons. And fetch quests, but it doesn’t feel like the fetch quests are as abused as they were back in the day.

I’m very much comparing its looks to Skyrim SE and I can see like whoa those streams and waterfalls and northern lights are amazing but the beauty of a more cartoonish Hyrule is not to be dismissed. And the music and lore.

But you’re not wrong.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Yeah, I've tried it twice and the most fun I have is opening the map up and finding as many shrine points as possible, then I'm pretty much done, I've accepted it's just not for me. If BotW2 has a more traditional solid dungeon progression I'll happily work through all my other issues, but the short, samey ones here with most of the puzzles randomly scattered through shrines just didn't grab me enough to stay motivated beyond that.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Captain Hygiene posted:

Yeah, I've tried it twice and the most fun I have is opening the map up and finding as many shrine points as possible, then I'm pretty much done, I've accepted it's just not for me. If BotW2 has a more traditional solid dungeon progression I'll happily work through all my other issues, but the short, samey ones here with most of the puzzles randomly scattered through shrines just didn't grab me enough to stay motivated beyond that.

King Rhoam help me but I used a bunch of IGN tutorials the first time. After that I got comfortable enough to just wing it and do whatever. Don’t even pass the game because I’m on 100% completion mode. Which hilariously leaves Zelda in the lurch for tens of hours.

It’s not like there aren’t beautiful mountains where I live but I’m afraid of hangliding.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
I briefly showed off BotW to a friend. “See it’s more action oriented than Skyrim”

He was like “I’m into roguelikes let’s play hammerwatch and look out the window sometimes.”

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Friends are for idiots.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Pollyanna posted:

Friends are for idiots.

Hammer Watch is pretty fun for a light roguelike

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I have an unusual request. In the 90s, there was a website called Zelda Headquarters. Since it was the 90s, it had midi background music. 3 different tracks it would switch between. Two original tunes, and 1 techno remix of the LoZ overworld.

I've had these songs stuck in my head for years. Did anybody save those midis before the site disappeared?

Edit: found it!

https://web.archive.org/web/19981203040633/http://www.zhq.com/zelda.htm

LividLiquid fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Oct 25, 2019

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Oh my God, that site is almost a parody of what late 90s websites looked like

quote:

There is no why. This is goodbye.
It's almost three years ago now, that I came up with the idea to make a website about The Legend of Zelda. A lot has happened since. The site became a member of IGN, I got a Nintendo 64, the site started to make me some money, it grew to getting 10,000 visitors a day, I kissed a girl for the very first time, I became fairly good at writing and designing websites, I officially became an adult with my 18 years of age, I got connections with Nintendo Nederland, I flew to Frankfurt to play the new Zelda before it came out, and finally, Zelda 64 came out...

RIP to a real one

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

It's a wonderful artifact of history.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Complete with an auto popup asking me where I want to save the midi file upon loading the page, well done :krad:

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

LividLiquid posted:

It's a wonderful artifact of history.

Truly. It was kind of a better internet back then. There’s no limit to what you can’t google today and it sort of feels creepy.

I’d trade ads for under construction gifs and bad midi any day.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
A pokemon fansite (the unknown dungeon) with a bad MIDI of Cruel Angel's Thesis is almost singlehandedly responsible for getting me into anime.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I used to go to this site on my dad's CompUServ account every day because pre web 2.0, you just did that every day despite the fact that sites only updated like once every six weeks.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

LividLiquid posted:

I have an unusual request. In the 90s, there was a website called Zelda Headquarters. Since it was the 90s, it had midi background music. 3 different tracks it would switch between. Two original tunes, and 1 techno remix of the LoZ overworld.

I've had these songs stuck in my head for years. Did anybody save those midis before the site disappeared?

Edit: found it!

https://web.archive.org/web/19981203040633/http://www.zhq.com/zelda.htm

Holy gently caress I used to go here, the name "Neils'T Hooft" brought up tons of nostalgia, I remember the site being a baby blue though.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
I don't know how anyone can have even a smidge of difficulty with guardians the instant you get ancient arrows. even the flying guardians aren't bad if you, like me, obsessively hop around the map buying up huge stockpiles of arrows.
peg em in the eyes during bullet time, no muss no fuss. it's simple to me, honestly.

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

It's also very satisfying that you can go into battle naked, with only a pot lid, and take out some of the stronger enemies in the game.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

I don't know how anyone can have even a smidge of difficulty with guardians the instant you get ancient arrows. even the flying guardians aren't bad if you, like me, obsessively hop around the map buying up huge stockpiles of arrows.
peg em in the eyes during bullet time, no muss no fuss. it's simple to me, honestly.

When you're me and obsessively stockpile I guess. No no don't waste an ancient arrow on it they're expensive! Which shield should I use? No, not that one, it's my favourite... that one's so pretty... need to hang on to that one in case of lightning... that one's too strong to waste on laser parries, I want a crap-tier one - no, not the one with the bunnies, I want to keep that it's cute.

Basically there needs to be some kind of "enemies get to advance a pace for every move you make in the menu" thing to make me get my finger out and start killing robots.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

I virtually never used ancient arrows on them because they felt too expensive, especially given that you can't get the ancient part rewards then.

Instead I learned how to bruteforce/cheese Guardians using Stasis+ and Master Sword (or any other big/glowing sword, but MS doesn't break) and that was the big turning point for me.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

getting good at shield parrying is good for making you feel invincible if you can pull it off during the sword trials

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Zat posted:

I virtually never used ancient arrows on them because they felt too expensive, especially given that you can't get the ancient part rewards then.

Instead I learned how to bruteforce/cheese Guardians using Stasis+ and Master Sword (or any other big/glowing sword, but MS doesn't break) and that was the big turning point for me.

If I remember right, ancient arrows still get you drops from guardians. It's just regular enemies that are 100% obliterated by them.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
One of my fave BotW moments was starting a Hero Mode file and being met by a Lynel on the fuckin' Great Plateau.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
An update downloaded for Link's Awakening when I started it this morning. Fixed something about Marin not moving and locking the game up.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Gruckles posted:

If I remember right, ancient arrows still get you drops from guardians. It's just regular enemies that are 100% obliterated by them.

Heh, apparently so. Me not knowing or remembering that shows that I definitely didn't use them much despite playing through it twice.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Gruckles posted:

The first time I used one on a non-Guardian was a Lynel, and when it folded it on itself, I said aloud, "it un-existed him!" And it felt like I'd erased him from time. The lack of loot supported this reading.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Runcible Cat posted:

When you're me and obsessively stockpile I guess. No no don't waste an ancient arrow on it they're expensive! Which shield should I use? No, not that one, it's my favourite... that one's so pretty... need to hang on to that one in case of lightning... that one's too strong to waste on laser parries, I want a crap-tier one - no, not the one with the bunnies, I want to keep that it's cute.

Basically there needs to be some kind of "enemies get to advance a pace for every move you make in the menu" thing to make me get my finger out and start killing robots.

Hey it’s a me Link. I’m buying a house to mount shields on the walls. Oh Zelda, she’ll be fine just the ultimate struggle against evil. I really want to get this village built now.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Hey it’s a me Link. I’m buying a house to mount shields on the walls. Oh Zelda, she’ll be fine just the ultimate struggle against evil. I really want to get this village built now.

aka the Lazy Hero timeline

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

:hmmyes:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Honestly I wish there was a way to throw shields like one does weapons. I have a surplus of royal shields and would love to smash a Lizalfo’s face with one.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Does bonking enemies on the head with a shield (jump, stand on shield like to surf (speedrunners would do this to super jump before the bomb chain was found)) damage the shield or do damage to the enemy?

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Zat posted:

Heh, apparently so. Me not knowing or remembering that shows that I definitely didn't use them much despite playing through it twice.

You still get fewer drops from guardians with ancient arrows, because you're not cutting off their legs.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

You still get fewer drops from guardians with ancient arrows, because you're not cutting off their legs.

You also don't get those from the pot lid method, the superior way of defeating them.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Spanish Manlove posted:

Does bonking enemies on the head with a shield (jump, stand on shield like to surf (speedrunners would do this to super jump before the bomb chain was found)) damage the shield or do damage to the enemy?

I'm fairly certain it does both. I believe I've wiped out after breaking my surfin' shield on a bokoblin's face, before.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

mastajake posted:

You also don't get those from the pot lid method, the superior way of defeating them.

But the best way to simply defend against Guardians is meat defense :colbert:

https://twitter.com/Bot__W/status/1187967525834747904?s=20

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

But the best way to simply defend against Guardians is meat defense :colbert:

https://twitter.com/Bot__W/status/1187967525834747904?s=20

Full of DLC.

Cheat mode. Wagging my head.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Full of DLC.

Cheat mode. Wagging my head.

Majora's Mask does not affect Guardians.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

maltesh posted:

Majora's Mask does not affect Guardians.

No it doesn’t.

And I was kidding but I always go for Midna’s helm first. Got that dlc