Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

What would WWE even DO with Hogan at that time? I have doubts Austin would work with him unless it was somehow ironclad that Austin got to beat the poo poo out of Hogan who would never get his win back and if they don't pull the trigger on Austin or treat him like the top of the wrestling world as they did, what even happens?

He'd have gotten so over that Vince would have hot shotted the title on him right before he cooled off just like in 2002.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Admiral Joeslop posted:

What would WWE even DO with Hogan at that time? I have doubts Austin would work with him unless it was somehow ironclad that Austin got to beat the poo poo out of Hogan who would never get his win back and if they don't pull the trigger on Austin or treat him like the top of the wrestling world as they did, what even happens?

i'm guessing he would do the x-pac thing without losing first. be on every night, have his own stable, nobody wants to see him, etc

most wwe guys knew about hogan's m.o by that point so basically everyone was like "hahaha no" whenever he pitches the idea of a return feud or whatever

I mean the Rock got a good match out of him but that was the exception rather than the rule

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Low Desert Punk posted:

Bischoff is very intelligent but also criminally stupid. It's pretty fascinating.

russo has the same problem

i think they just get full of themselves really easily

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Russo is not intelligent. He speaks slowly and clearly and sometimes people confuse that.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

coconono posted:

Russo is not intelligent. He speaks slowly and clearly and sometimes people confuse that.

he can write some good stories whenever he's not huffing a bag of his own farts, which is rarely

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Yinlock posted:

he can write some good stories whenever he's not huffing a bag of his own farts, which is rarely
No he can't.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Yinlock posted:

you're gonna have to cite your sources on this one cuz I don't believe you.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

Yinlock posted:

Lol

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos

Yinlock posted:

Has he ever?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I feel like I read once that a really good storyline was done by Russo.

So good, in fact, that I can't remember it or if it actually happened.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Yinlock posted:

i'm guessing he would do the x-pac thing without losing first. be on every night, have his own stable, nobody wants to see him, etc

most wwe guys knew about hogan's m.o by that point so basically everyone was like "hahaha no" whenever he pitches the idea of a return feud or whatever

I mean the Rock got a good match out of him but that was the exception rather than the rule

Lol if you think Vince would listen to anybody's childish complaining about being forced to work with a much bigger star in 1998. Only person on his level at the time was Austin.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

coconono posted:

you're gonna have to cite your sources on this one cuz I don't believe you.

source: early attitude era where every wrestler was doing important things that made sense to their characters

it hasn't happened at all since then but for a very limited time he was good

like i'm not defending russo here, he is toxic as hell and sucks and ruins everything, but he once did something good

Randaconda posted:

Lol if you think Vince would listen to anybody's childish complaining about being forced to work with a much bigger star in 1998. Only person on his level at the time was Austin.

hogan would only ever want to go against the most popular wrestlers(so he could bury them) so

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Yinlock posted:

hogan would only ever want to go against the most popular wrestlers(so he could bury them) so

despite the numerous times he didn't? he's not stupid

"Why won't Hogan let himself be booked 50/50 into flavorless mush???"

Randaconda fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Oct 24, 2019

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Randaconda posted:

despite the numerous times he didn't? he's not stupid

if hogan felt like someone else could take his spot as The Guy he stopped at nothing to gently caress with them

see: his entire working relationship with randy savage

quote:

"Why won't Hogan let himself be booked 50/50 into flavorless mush???"

in an imaginary world where i said this it would be very dumb indeed

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Yinlock posted:

russo has the same problem

i think they just get full of themselves really easily

Vince Russo is so dumb that the only time in his career he was involved in writing good wrestling it was because loving Vince McMahon was there to tell him when his ideas got too stupid. Because he routinely had ideas too dumb for Vince McMahon, the guy who signed off on Katie Vick.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

forkboy84 posted:

Vince Russo is so dumb that the only time in his career he was involved in writing good wrestling it was because loving Vince McMahon was there to tell him when his ideas got too stupid. Because he routinely had ideas too dumb for Vince McMahon, the guy who signed off on Katie Vick.

i dunno which one of them to credit really since i cannot imagine vince saying anything but "THAT'S SUCH GOOD poo poo" to the dumbest things

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

oh but seriously I posted:

goldberg was only "wrestling over"

goldberg is a household name and currently hosts a spinoff of the knife forging reality game show cmon

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

What is this good story Vince Russo wrote?

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

LividLiquid posted:

"good" is probably an overstatement

RAW Was Competently Booked For A While isn't as snappy though

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Oct 24, 2019

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

shiksa posted:

goldberg is a household name and currently hosts a spinoff of the knife forging reality game show cmon

i was doing a russo also the latter part is news to me

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
His best story was written by Luna Vachon and Vampiro Guerrero.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I suspect that any good story Russo ever wrote just by complete coincidence probably involved one or both of Stone Cold Steve Austin and The Rock, who incidentally are two of the biggest and most naturally charismatic/entertaining stars in pro-wrestling history.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

I suspect that any good story Russo ever wrote just by complete coincidence probably involved one or both of Stone Cold Steve Austin and The Rock, who incidentally are two of the biggest and most naturally charismatic/entertaining stars in pro-wrestling history.

tbf most of austin's stories were just "give stone cold a goal and watch him go loving insane working towards it"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yeah. God it was so loving cool.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Yinlock posted:

if hogan felt like someone else could take his spot as The Guy he stopped at nothing to gently caress with them

see: his entire working relationship with randy savage

Also anybody that's really over at the time. Hogan tried like hell to get Pillman into that loving terrible Doomsday Cage Match at Uncensored '96 because everyone was talking about the Loose Cannon and Hogan wanted to kill his heat. So Pillman scheduled a surgery so even Hogan's creative control couldn't force him into that debacle.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Also anybody that's really over at the time. Hogan tried like hell to get Pillman into that loving terrible Doomsday Cage Match at Uncensored '96 because everyone was talking about the Loose Cannon and Hogan wanted to kill his heat. So Pillman scheduled a surgery so even Hogan's creative control couldn't force him into that debacle.

Pillman was already gone from WCW by the time of the doomsday cage match iirc

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
this was when he worked Bischoff intogetting actual release papers, so other promotions would think that Brian was really a loose cannon not controlled by WCW

another great move in WCW personnel relations

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

Pillman was already gone from WCW by the time of the doomsday cage match iirc

They were still paying him to work in ECW and his goal was to renegotiate with WCW and get a big deal. He had minor throat surgery to avoid doing Uncensored.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

LividLiquid posted:

"Bray Wyatt is in the ring. Lights go out. Lights come back on. Bray Wyatt is still in the ring."

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

DeathChicken posted:

"Bray Wyatt is in the ring. Lights go out. Lights come back on. Bray Wyatt is still in the ring."
That stream was really enlightening, because you could see Russo have a good idea, think it was great, then get bored with it and change it not ten minutes later.

Couldn't even get through booking a show without getting bored.

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

I like the original Kane/Undertaker storyline, from Taker’s championship win to the blackmail to Hell in a Cell to the Wrestlemania match

Which Kane should have won

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pinstripe Hourglass posted:

Which Kane should have won

Agreed. It wouldn't have hurt 'Taker at all.

SLUM KING
Nov 16, 2011

Cornette and others were on the booking team for poo poo like the first Taker/Kane feud. When Russo gained power the tv rapidly became total garbage.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
Yeah Cornette is a pretty competent booker because he at least understands "wrestler A is pissed at wrestler B" is going to be a better storyline than whatever modern wrestling over-contrived dawson's creek thing that I see Twitter screaming "WHAT THE gently caress IS THIS DUMB poo poo" about once a week

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Did Kane ever win over Taker other than the buried alive match where he needed the Dudleys to help him? And then that led to the Wrestlemania XX match where Taker beat him again anyway.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Did Kane ever win over Taker other than the buried alive match where he needed the Dudleys to help him? And then that led to the Wrestlemania XX match where Taker beat him again anyway.

Kane also buried Taker alive thanks to the Nexus I think, and he beat Taker via Paul Bearer heel turn in a hell in a cell match.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

that's why he constantly hosed with sting and sometimes ddp too

Pillman was like the only dude more adept at backstage-fu than hogan but he didn't really use it to gently caress people over like hogan or hhh do, if he didn't die it would've been interesting to see where he went

e: though he just hit the age where his injuries started piling up so he was probably at the end of his career regardless, but still

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Oct 25, 2019

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

LividLiquid posted:

That stream was really enlightening, because you could see Russo have a good idea, think it was great, then get bored with it and change it not ten minutes later.

Was that the stream where Bray Wyatt hit a Sister Abigail on a chicken neck? Because if so then Russo has certifiably had at least two good ideas

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

LividLiquid posted:

that explains why every match he booked ended with a run-in

"bored now, [wrestler] runs in and beats everyone up match over"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Kane beat him clean once during their feud during 2010

E: the first in the series that ended with the buried alive match

oldpainless fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Oct 25, 2019