Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

Honestly, I think this is a great use for an old shed. Especially if the siding was rotten.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Why the gently caress does a greenhouse have a floor :confused:

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc
For compost, obviously.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Jerry Cotton posted:

The plants would fall out the bottom otherwise.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Jerry Cotton posted:

The second one has a floor because the dude just pulled the (rotting) sides off his shed to use the frame, so he just left the existing shed floor in place rather than tear it up. Although he says that it's also rotting, so not sure that was the best choice.

The first one has a floor because it was built by an idiot.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Jerry Cotton posted:

If you've got enough of a gopher/mole/vole problem it can be worth it.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Ashcans posted:

The first one has a floor because it was built by an idiot.

An idiot? Pfft, he said himself he's had YEARS of experience stacking Legos that let him know this is structurally sound and will stay in place just fine.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

DrBouvenstein posted:

An idiot? Pfft, he said himself he's had YEARS of experience stacking Legos that let him know this is structurally sound and will stay in place just fine.

It's held together by $40 worth of screws, this means it is indestructible.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

Baronjutter posted:

I saw some glitter-concrete used in some stairs and it was actually kinda fun.
Glitter floors are real and can be very cool. If you ever want to do a glitter floor: https://www.garagecoatings.com/product/diamond-crystals-4-lb-pail.asp

You have to use a hopper gun and wear a respirator to apply between two layers of epoxy. Probably not the best first project if you are new to epoxying a floor.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Jerry Cotton posted:

so it's easier to dispose of your weed farm when you see the cops coming

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
digging a foot deep makes all the difference for heating and cooling

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

gently caress's sake Elon what is this, a hab dome for ants? It needs to be at least twice this size to seed Mars with the human race!

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

gently caress's sake Elon what is this, a hab dome for ants? It needs to be at least twice this size to seed Mars with the human race!

Please. In silicon valley you can fit at least four cots in there and rent each of them out for a few thousand a month on air bnb dot com. (Utilities and the like absolutely not included, but you may use the water spout in the garden for showering for 99 cents per minute if you provide your own hose.)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Jerry Cotton posted:

When it’s for orchids. :colbert:

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
The rare non-crappy construction. Tree falls on house, "minor" damage:

https://i.imgur.com/CIIBfKL.gifv

You know they're teenagers when she's more worried about the dog than her sister screaming bloody murder.

PS they all made it

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Oct 24, 2019

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

lol

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

kid sinister posted:

You know they're teenagers when she's more worried about the dog than her sister screaming bloody murder.

PS they all made it

That tree did not do proper environmental testing for lead and asbestos before starting demolition. The city will never approve the permit now.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

TREE LAW!
:aaaaa:
TREE LAW!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

I volunteer at this cat shelter that was previously a Knights of Columbus dance hall. There are all these weird little closets and oddly shaped rooms, and a number of crappy constructions, but this is my favorite. Sure, I'll stick my whole arm in a hole to switch the lights off. It's just so loving stupid.

When you have a drywaller, but no electrician on staff.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

kid sinister posted:

PS they all made it

Why the hell do people have cameras pointed in their living spaces?

I've got a whole poo poo load of cameras, but not one is pointed towards anything inside other than the garage and the barn.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Darchangel posted:

Yep. That was a partition wall install and due to lack of electrician they did......that.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

kid sinister posted:

PS they all made it

Lol

"Help me! Aaaaugh!"

"Shut up! I've gotta find Gizmo!"

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Darchangel posted:

You wouldn't need an electrician to build a mechanical system to remotely turn the switch!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Is that a thing people do, just record video and audio of their family rooms at all times? Are the cameras in every room? Is this an american thing or ???

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!
Interior cameras in homes are indeed a thing. The smaller the children the more likely you'll be to find a camera in their room, especially if it is your first kid.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

Is that a thing people do, just record video and audio of their family rooms at all times? Are the cameras in every room? Is this an american thing or ???

Who said it was the family themselves who installed the camera and shared the video? :nsa:

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

H110Hawk posted:

The part that shocks me is that project is only $500k. Meanwhile LA Metro can't seem to add a light rail track for under $50million/mile along existing rail right of way.

That bridge has got to have done at least a few mil in property damage just in recorded footage alone

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Motronic posted:

Why the hell do people have cameras pointed in their living spaces?

In case a tree falls into the house while they aren't there and they need to know if it made a sound or not.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

H110Hawk posted:

The part that shocks me is that project is only $500k. Meanwhile LA Metro can't seem to add a light rail track for under $50million/mile along existing rail right of way.

If you account for the bridge being 92 feet long, this is costing them almost $32 million a mile.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Wasn't the party line always that it wasn't feasible due to being unable to raise the bridge due to slope, and unable to lower the road due to underground works? What changed?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

They're only raising it a tiny bit that wont require the rail line to be re-graded. It'll still eat some trucks though.

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

Jaded Burnout posted:

Wasn't the party line always that it wasn't feasible due to being unable to raise the bridge due to slope, and unable to lower the road due to underground works? What changed?

The changes will only spare the smaller box trucks and other rentals. Semis and anything bigger than a box truck will still get crushed. SA posters were operating on the idea of "raise it enough so no trucks get smushed"

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

To be fair that's still going to be an improvement- we have a similar bridge here and I think 90% of the people it catches are stuff like someone driving a Uhaul who doesn't know enough to be worried about it (all the rentals in the area now have 'You cannot take this truck on Storrow Drive' signs to try and prevent idiots peeling off their roof).

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Baronjutter posted:

We have a few webcams in our apartment but they are only plugged in when we're gone, so we can watch the cats/get alerts for movement at the door.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

It's weird and creepy, especially the internet connected ones. They are becoming ever more popular as your sketchy internet provider gives them to you with their "home security" system and people eat it up.

We have 2, one over each kids bed, but they aren't allowed to connect to the internet at my router and my older kid (3 years) is pretty close to getting his removed. The younger kid (3 months) it's still quite useful as the app does alerting on audio levels and squelches below a certain level. Neither of them record, but I could have my synology do it if I wanted.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
The ones that really weird me out are Ring who make internet doorbell cameras and give the police access to them.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Megillah Gorilla posted:

The ones that really weird me out are Ring who make internet doorbell cameras and give the police access to them.

In the past I have given police footage off of my cameras when they asked nicely and explained exactly what it was for (somebody stole a trailer out of a neighbor's yard down the street and they thought the person may have driven past my house/cameras that face the street). Automatic sharing, live viewing, sharing without my explicit permission: nope nope nope.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Motronic posted:

In the past I have given police footage off of my cameras when they asked nicely and explained exactly what it was for (somebody stole a trailer out of a neighbor's yard down the street and they thought the person may have driven past my house/cameras that face the street). Automatic sharing, live viewing, sharing without my explicit permission: nope nope nope.

Same. I have IP cameras that look over a busy neighborhood intersection and have given footage to neighbors who have asked but that poo poo stays localized and on a totally separate network from everything else I do.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Motronic posted:

Do you feel like you're living in Shadowrun or does it just feel normal to you to have the police use you as part of their warrantless surveillance apparatus (with your explicit permission of course)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Devor posted:

Do you feel like you're living in Shadowrun or does it just feel normal to you to have the police use you as part of their warrantless surveillance apparatus (with your explicit permission of course)

You don't need warrants for cameras pointed at public spaces, and you never have.