Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Have you ever been to the moon?
This poll is closed.
Yes 149 32.82%
Absolutely 100 22.03%
I want to talk to Samson 205 45.15%
Total: 454 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Craptacular! posted:

Is there a good rundown anywhere (YouTube, Reddit, here, wherever) of the new armor system for someone who is intimidated by it? It seems unintuitive for newcomers, and I basically avoided all Shadowkeep hype this summer because I'm poor and busy.

Armour will have an element, which determines the types of mods you can put in. For example, solar gets fusion rifle related mods, arc gets shotgun related mods, and so on. Helmet gets targeting, boots get scav, etc. There are some that are neutral and can be slotted into any element.

Each mod takes up a bit of energy- upgrade the armour (ie masterwork) to get more energy, up to 10.

Armour also has the six random stats- resilience (health), recovery (health regen speed), mobility (strafe speed), discipline (grenade recharge speed), intelligence (super charge speed) and strength (melee charge speed). You generally want pieces with high amounts in the stats you care about, rather than just highest overall total. Pinnacle gear (raid, iron banner, reckoning tier 3) will usually have higher averages.

In short- worry first about getting a piece of each element. Then worry about getting rolls with good stat distribution in each element. Then worry about getting rolls with high stats, distributed well, in each element.

Any old eververse armour you had unlocked are now universal ornaments, so you don't have to worry about looking like a fashion disaster too much.

Mazerunner fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Oct 24, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
Come to think of it, why didn't they include a stat for class ability? If they wanted to keep things simple, they wouldn't have decided on six stats in the first place.

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

Ellipson posted:

This trailer is the canon answer to the tone of Destiny: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpLsTPQtL2k

Holy poo poo I’ve never seen the longer version of this. I feel like I saw a much shorter edit but this is what life is all about.

Also it explains why the dance floor exists at all in the hanger.

Re The Santa Clause/Saint Calus theory: let us compare the facts:

- Jolly af
- has a personal vehicle with impossible travel capabilities which contains limitless treasure for those deemed worthy
- Big fuckin belly
- has enslaved minions which toil endlessly towards the end of time itself which presumably is when Santa must release all his elves to the Grey Lands or whatever. The Psions hopefully built that Super Oracle Machine just in time to slap the start button and toss their collective psychic awareness back through time to function as their ancestor spirit guides.

I admit the last one is a stretch as it’s the loosest link that borrows from Age of Sigmar AND 40k by invoking cyclical timelines and usage of the Warp for soul transference. But the other points are irrefutable.

Now all we need is for Tim Allen to be the VA for Calus in Destiny 3rd Time: The Charm (of Osiris)

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

ItBreathes posted:

Call me a curmudgeon, but something about having guardians ride around on broomsticks, at least on a persistent basis, bugs me. I get that whimsy sells but it's very contrary to the tone of the game, which is otherwise very consistent (especially now that Cayde's gone).

My dude have you seen the Christmas sparrow?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

ponzicar posted:

Come to think of it, why didn't they include a stat for class ability? If they wanted to keep things simple, they wouldn't have decided on six stats in the first place.

Class ability works as it did in Y2, up to the part where 5 Paragon mods = 5 Paragon mods in Armour 2.0.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Ellipson posted:

This trailer is the canon answer to the tone of Destiny: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpLsTPQtL2k

this is loving amazing

i also love seeing the best gun, SWEET BUSINESS, front and center, as it should be

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

Eej posted:

This thread will never stop being wrong about the 3 Ritual weapons being bad

even reddit is more right

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Exit Strat is really good, I've got Edgewise but not used it yet, is Demolitionist better on it or Rampage?

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Just started like 2 weeks ago. Been enjoying the game so far but yesterday was the first day I had a real lovely time in PvP. I was just getting my rear end kicked by melee and melee abilities. People were just one shotting me in the face with what seemed like a basic melee attack, was getting crushed by flaming hammers, getting one-shot shield bashed and things like that. I was doing great with the Risk Runner two days ago and yesterday it felt like I could barely do damage. I am sure I was just having a bad day but drat did that take all of the steam out of me. I know weapons play a huge aspect of it, but since I am a new player my arsenal is rather limited.

Anyone have any tips on what I can do to not get crushed? I am playing a void hunter, which I think is not helping much either.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
1) play more so you get more stuff and recognize what the gently caress is going on
2) it doesn't matter much if you lose, you still get exp/drops/bounty progress/etc
3) practice aiming and getting comfortable with your weapons and abilities
4) join up with a group of goons

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Samopsa posted:

1) play more so you get more stuff and recognize what the gently caress is going on
2) it doesn't matter much if you lose, you still get exp/drops/bounty progress/etc
3) practice aiming and getting comfortable with your weapons and abilities
4) join up with a group of goons

Getting stuff for losing is rather nice, it takes a lot of the stress off the matches.

Does the stats on my gear matter a lot for PvP? I like having INT for PvE, but I feel like grenades are generally more important/useful for PvP so I would spec that way if stats do matter.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I too would like to know what the gently caress the one-shot-from-full melee attacks are.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Ummm, Titans can kill you with a shoulder charge or a hammer strike with one hit in PvP

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
All sprinting melees are a one-hit kill, and they have a pretty big lunging distance too.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Blind Rasputin posted:

If the game is not serious enough for you there is luckily some advice in the grimoire Volume II book that Cayde was given by the fallen:

Weird Calus gave me the same advice

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

I was on the receiving end of this. Activated Stormtrance, got shoulder-checked by a titan. Guy behind me activates Arc Staff, gets shoulder-checked. Skullfort aparently allows you to do that.

I was salty, not gonna lie.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

It's not just that, thunder coils (seasonal artifact mod) + knockout (bottom-tree striker buff from breaking a shield) turns the regular titan melee into a OHK. That's what you'll be seeing a lot of this season.

e: if you got shoulder-checked out of a super chances are they were running peregrine greaves for extra shoulder charge damage.

Rubellavator fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Oct 24, 2019

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Rubellavator posted:

It's not just that, thunder coils (seasonal artifact mod) + knockout (bottom-tree striker buff from breaking a shield) turns the regular titan melee into a OHK. That's what you'll be seeing a lot of this season.

e: if you got shoulder-checked out of a super chances are they were running peregrine greaves for extra shoulder charge damage.

But does Peregrine also recharge melee? Because he did a double check on us. I would have to review the footage to check my health, but I was only a few seconds into a fresh spawn. Mighta got tagged from behind a few times that I didn't notice in my salty tears.

Orv
May 4, 2011

J.A.B.C. posted:

But does Peregrine also recharge melee? Because he did a double check on us. I would have to review the footage to check my health, but I was only a few seconds into a fresh spawn. Mighta got tagged from behind a few times that I didn't notice in my salty tears.

If they had an exotic called Insurmountable Skullfort and were the arc Titan class they get infinite shoulder charges as long as each one kills.

Destiny is rich in various bullshits, not necessarily overpowered, just lots of nonsense.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Cozmo confirmed that all the FotL items will be available for dust at some point during the event, except for some older items which are silver only.

The armor sets will be available for dust which is all I really care about

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

All sprinting melees are a one-hit kill, and they have a pretty big lunging distance too.

Its stupid how middle tree Arcstrider's melee cannot one-hit kill despite requiring you to sprint and then slide to activate it.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Mill Village posted:

Its stupid how middle tree Arcstrider's melee cannot one-hit kill despite requiring you to sprint and then slide to activate it.

That would be way, way too good. You can sprint, slide and aim and fire it in a split second, being able to one hit multiple people at range with an instant refresh on the dodge + paragon mods would be busted as gently caress.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Mill Village posted:

It should be air unblockable like all other shoryukens

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Middle arc titan also can't one hit kill with it's jump sprint melee that is slow and telegraphed

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I've been using Ophidian Aspect on my Warlock ever since I got back to it when Shadowkeep launched, and I haven't felt the need to switch since... passive upgrades to The Things You Do in This Game seems to be the most powerful ability an exotic could have, but I don't know if that's actually true, and a lot of the info that comes up when googling it seems divided, and also old. Any other exotic Warlock armour people would recommend over it?

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL

Hakkesshu posted:

I've been using Ophidian Aspect on my Warlock ever since I got back to it when Shadowkeep launched, and I haven't felt the need to switch since... passive upgrades to The Things You Do in This Game seems to be the most powerful ability an exotic could have, but I don't know if that's actually true, and a lot of the info that comes up when googling it seems divided, and also old. Any other exotic Warlock armour people would recommend over it?

My go to exotics are geomag boots, transversive steps, crown of tempests, sometimes the blinky helmet. I play a lot of arclock.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Hakkesshu posted:

It's a good neutral exotic. You'd replace them if you had specific needs.

Want more and better stormtrances? Definitely go with Crown of Tempest.

Worthwhile kamehameha beam? Geomag Stabilisers.

Fun? Getaway Artist.

Group content? Luna boots or Starfire Protocol.

Lots of useless exotics, but also a good deal of things that are equally or more viable than Ophidian of you have a purpose in mind.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Lightning Reflexes with Arc Battery is really good for PVP. You can also wear Wormhusk Crown and tank even more damage.

https://youtu.be/VyiUm8NFTns

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Are there any decent easy to get weapons? I got the Risk Runner and the Rat King but the purples I have feel a little lack-luster. I've been trying to do the quest (I forget the name of it) where I have to get scout rifles, but since I got it 4 days ago I have not seen a single scout rifle drop. Is the reward for that quest any good?

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
do challenges (the golden icons on the destination screen), finish strikes/crucible/gambit matches, finish bounties, do the imperial chest quests

Orv
May 4, 2011

Mesadoram posted:

Are there any decent easy to get weapons? I got the Risk Runner and the Rat King but the purples I have feel a little lack-luster. I've been trying to do the quest (I forget the name of it) where I have to get scout rifles, but since I got it 4 days ago I have not seen a single scout rifle drop. Is the reward for that quest any good?

IIRC that ends up in MIDA which is pretty much the second best scout before perks are considered and still easily top 5 after that. YMMV depending on what you like in a scout RPM but it's an extremely solid gun.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Samopsa posted:

do challenges (the golden icons on the destination screen), finish strikes/crucible/gambit matches, finish bounties, do the imperial chest quests

Good to know :unsmith:

Orv posted:

IIRC that ends up in MIDA which is pretty much the second best scout before perks are considered and still easily top 5 after that. YMMV depending on what you like in a scout RPM but it's an extremely solid gun.

I normally like full-auto for my kinetic slot, but I've been getting my world rocked in PvP by the MIDA. So I feel like it will probably be a good thing to try to get. Just need to get lucky and get some scout guns to drop...

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

Mesadoram posted:

Black armory stuff is generally at least descent, of particular interest are the pulse rifle, hand cannon, and especially the machine gun. Also check a guide for the menagerie loot system, good stuff can be gotten that way as well. All the exotics take a bit of work to get and can feel like a slog depending on your mood. Ace of spades is a cool hand cannon but it requires forsaken if you don’t have it, and one of the steps require pvp hand cannon headshot kills which can be kinda yikes depending on how you feel about pvp. A lot of exotics are just very rare drops, keep in mind.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Mesadoram posted:

I normally like full-auto for my kinetic slot, but I've been getting my world rocked in PvP by the MIDA. So I feel like it will probably be a good thing to try to get. Just need to get lucky and get some scout guns to drop...

Can't you just pull 5 blue scouts from collections and mulch them for that step? If not, you could just run Menagerie for the guaranteed drop.

It's funny how MIDA is tearing up crucible right now, since most people are only using it for the Randy's quest. It feels like we're back to the Y1 weapon meta, but in an extremely different and better sandbox. I like it, there's a good mix of timid lane dwellers and aping weirdos with crazy builds.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Menagerie lets you keep getting the same gun so you can try to get a best roll.

Also bookmark the website that says where Xur is. He's vital to filling out your exotic collection

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

GoneWithTheTornado posted:

Black armory stuff is generally at least descent, of particular interest are the pulse rifle, hand cannon, and especially the machine gun. Also check a guide for the menagerie loot system, good stuff can be gotten that way as well. All the exotics take a bit of work to get and can feel like a slog depending on your mood. Ace of spades is a cool hand cannon but it requires forsaken if you don’t have it, and one of the steps require pvp hand cannon headshot kills which can be kinda yikes depending on how you feel about pvp. A lot of exotics are just very rare drops, keep in mind.

Ah seems like a bunch of options. I will look into these when I get home, thank you.

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Can't you just pull 5 blue scouts from collections and mulch them for that step? If not, you could just run Menagerie for the guaranteed drop.

It's funny how MIDA is tearing up crucible right now, since most people are only using it for the Randy's quest. It feels like we're back to the Y1 weapon meta, but in an extremely different and better sandbox. I like it, there's a good mix of timid lane dwellers and aping weirdos with crazy builds.

Not sure what you mean by collections :smith:. The Menagerie seems like a good place to get loot, I definitely need to look into what it is about.

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Menagerie lets you keep getting the same gun so you can try to get a best roll.

Also bookmark the website that says where Xur is. He's vital to filling out your exotic collection

I play a lot of Warframe, is he kind of like Baro Ki'Teer? Baro is a merchant that comes by every 2 weeks to sell rare gear, he is pretty vital for getting good stuff.

Mesadoram fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Oct 24, 2019

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Mesadoram posted:

Ah seems like a bunch of options. I will look into these when I get home, thank you.

Not sure what you mean by collections :smith:. The Menagerie seems like a good place to get loot, I definitely need to look into what it is about.

I play a lot of Warframe, is he kind of like Baro Ki'Teer? Baro is a merchant that comes by every 2 weeks to sell rare gear, he is pretty vital for getting good stuff.

The collections tab in your character menu let's you pull out a new non random roll item you've found for a small cost.

Yeah, he's very similar to the Warframe guy. Speaking of which, when are they re-enabling telesto??

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

I want more things involving Calus. Calus should be the primary person you talk to in anything.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Xur is every weekend. One weapon, one armor for each class. And the ~mystery prize~ that has duplicate protection. Or maybe doesn't anymore because rerolling exotic armor is important

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
It doesn't completely have dupe protection because of how it rolls what you're getting but it's pretty solid that if you have the shards and are missing something from Y1/2 (that isn't a quest exotic) then always buy it.