Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

str8 mercin burgers my nigga

Extra Large Marge posted:

When people disconnect right when I'm about to win I send them a message that just says "rude".

A lot of times they reply back with "Yeah I know, I'm sorry" or something like that.

I send them my YouTube playlist of all my rage quitters in every fighting game with them added at the end.

I mean how bad do you have to be to quit on a ultra silver/gold Vega player?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
i find in xrd people mostly self flagellate or scurry away from lobby instead of sending hatemail. unless its hamad i guess.

once i played a jam who was having a hard time opening me up so i just sat there and blocked their offense for 20~30 seconds until they eventually did a throw. i congratulated them for getting the throw and they told me they wanted to kill themselves. i tried to defuse the situation but i'm assuming they had some other stuff going on which i had nothing to do with

Mochiballs
Aug 27, 2006

Spuckuk posted:

Local scenes definitely exist, I run one! We built it from scratch over the last few years and ran our first 150+ person tournament in September.

If you cant find one, build one, you'd be surprised who comes out of the woodwork.

Hrmm my original hometown had a ton of Street Fighter players but nowadays I live abroad in a place where fighting games aren't so popular but I'll give it a shot.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I wish I could find some local stuff for Tekken in New Orleans. Mostly SF & MK here from what I've seen. Last Tekken thing was back in April or something.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Bring a setup of the game you want to play to your local, and you should be able to get some games in

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

HerniaFlange posted:

I wonder if fighting games will become like prestige movies for big film studios, some small division that they label as "indie" to put out Oscar bait. "This is what the real hardcore play, it's not for everyone but that's part of why it's great!" Every big dumb game studio run by abusive, racist, sexist, LGBTQIA-phobic scumbags will throw together a small studio of devs that worked on a game with a good Metacritic rating, except they have no idea what makes a good fighting game good (and the fact that even then it's usually a result of either lightning in a bottle, 3+ revisions, or being Tekken which really doesn't change too much between games anyways) and introduce some really poorly thought out "accessibility" mechanics, alongside mountains of microtransactions that make ASW's $8 a character shenanigans or Netherrealm's "preorder to actually get all the characters on the disc" look quaint. The game will bomb, and they decide it's just easier to pick up a studio making a game that shows promise and murdering the poo poo out the studio after.

What if Riot gave several hundred million dollars to Josh "Rancid PsychoJosh" Psychojosh to finally finish GigaMaidens and it turns out to be the ultimate footsie and messy guessies fighter.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

mysterious loyall X posted:

What if Riot gave several hundred million dollars to Josh "Rancid PsychoJosh" Psychojosh to finally finish GigaMaidens and it turns out to be the ultimate footsie and messy guessies fighter.
gigamaidens would probably have better character designs

yo mamma a Horus
Apr 7, 2008

Nap Ghost

dhamster posted:

i find in xrd people mostly self flagellate or scurry away from lobby instead of sending hatemail. unless its hamad i guess.

once i played a jam who was having a hard time opening me up so i just sat there and blocked their offense for 20~30 seconds until they eventually did a throw. i congratulated them for getting the throw and they told me they wanted to kill themselves. i tried to defuse the situation but i'm assuming they had some other stuff going on which i had nothing to do with

cmon man, don't pick on teresa

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Endorph posted:

gigamaidens would probably have better character designs
I can honestly say compared to League of Legends I think Riot has Gigamaidens beat in that area even if you look past the fetish factor for both games.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

:mrgw:

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

If they're giga enough we would be exploring the new realm of footsies on a spherical surface.

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

:whitewater:

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

So I have been a casual fight game player for a few years now but I've never gotten past the "good enough to beat non fight game players but not good enough to consistently win matches against people who actually practice" level. I have been loving around with Tekken the past couple of days and playing super low level ranked matches.

My problem is that I get so focused on playing that after three or four matches I am sweating my rear end off and feel like I need to take a break for a few. I watch streamers and they seem like they can play for hours at a time. Is this just something that gets easier with more matches under my belt?

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

So I have been a casual fight game player for a few years now but I've never gotten past the "good enough to beat non fight game players but not good enough to consistently win matches against people who actually practice" level. I have been loving around with Tekken the past couple of days and playing super low level ranked matches.

My problem is that I get so focused on playing that after three or four matches I am sweating my rear end off and feel like I need to take a break for a few. I watch streamers and they seem like they can play for hours at a time. Is this just something that gets easier with more matches under my belt?

Hello and welcome to 80% of normie FG players. Play video games and have fun.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

yeah ive had similar experience vs my friends

sets just end because theyre exhausted

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

really just play more. at your level i would play to learn and not get emotionally invested in the outcome of the match. instead work on doing some damage with your most basic combos, moving around in 3d, poking, blocking correctly, and/or punishing. if you set out to do one or more of these things during a round and accomplish them, that's a win.

focusing on just a few aspects of gameplay at a time might also help keep you from getting mentally overloaded. right now you might be trying to do everything all at once and getting overwhelmed. focusing on individual aspects of gameplay commits those things to muscle memory, and then you can focus on other stuff, like adapting to what the other guy is doing and beating that.

Live Free
Jan 5, 2019

by VideoGames
ive been playing fighting games competitively for almost 7 years, made it out of pools several times, won a ton of locals, and getting to top 3 of a pool or local bracket is still completely exhausting, but I could play casuals 24/7. it all comes down to mindset. if you're trying to get better you should be more in the headspace of trying stuff in a match to get it down or explore uses for a specific move etc. it's less stressful, more fun, and makes for faster progress.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

I always suggest finding a few friends or like minded individuals to start out with, and just play for fun and learn as you go. You'd be amazed how much knowledge and experience you can absorb over time without the kind of pressure people put themselves in just by fighting randoms. Like, take two people with the exact same skill level; for me personally, I could probably go FT20s if I was playing with a friend where I know there's no real pressure by the friend or by my own doing. If I was playing with some random? Nah, I'd be done after 3 at best.

You see streamers playing for hours on end because they just love fighters and not much else or it's part of their literal livelihood; sometimes both.

MechaX fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Oct 24, 2019

Spaz Medicine
Feb 22, 2008

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

Try player matches instead of ranked. I find them to be pretty laid back. You can end up against much better players, which is paradoxically kind of relaxing because there is no real expectation of winning. You can just focus on improvement and small, occasional victories, and just appreciate the game for what it is.

HerniaFlange
Aug 4, 2013

You when you read my posts:

mysterious loyall X posted:

I am already funding Gigamaidens, for the same reason an oil company would buy the patents to a cheap clean and bountiful new energy source.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

hello, on top of all the advice given, try to watch more.

when you watch, you have more time to analyse and internalise what is going on, and if something is impressive or seems impossible, you can always rewind and slow mo if need be

get used to casually watching what's happening on screen

don't get me wrong, that focus is really good for playing, especially close matches, but it's hard to keep it up - i am suggesting you watch more to get used to the game while staying at a lower level of investment, so to speak

phone posting over family lunch, so if what i said is unhelpful, please let me know and i will clarify when i am at a comp

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Is there a decent "What should I be thinking about" during a match thing? I find myself frustrated because X or Y doesn't work and then I end up just spamming that, instead of actually watching footsies and trying to confirm hits.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

if you start spamming you're done. just keep that mindset.

take a sec

dash or jump back and reevaluate position and what they are trying to open you up with

react in the way you think is best to counter that. they jump in? anti air them and let em know thats going to keep happening.

spamming projectiles? get in and tell them to stop

etc etc

just focus on openers. once you start to identify that then worry about footsies. learn to use the moves you're trying to spam as punishments rather than openers, then go back to learning them as an opener.

as long as you learn something you're better than you were for not playing, no matter if you win or lose.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

SoftNum posted:

Is there a decent "What should I be thinking about" during a match thing? I find myself frustrated because X or Y doesn't work and then I end up just spamming that, instead of actually watching footsies and trying to confirm hits.

Block more

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

that too

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

SoftNum posted:

It helps to have a general gameplan for neutral. What are your strongest tools? If you know the matchup, what are their strongest tools? Based on this you might be jockeying for position to where your Good poo poo has advantage over theirs. Maybe your #1 good button is faster than theirs and you can get in their face, or longer than theirs and you can keep them out. If it seems like you keep jumping the gun and getting whiff punished when you make a move, learn some lower commitment options (the lowest of which being movement, or even doing nothing).

If you succeed in hitting them, you can shift your focus on how will you press the advantage. This is where combos, corner carry, Oki come into play. If you're the one being pressured, your goal is to get out so you can go back to neutral. Patience can be your friend there.

To use a real example, when I was learning Ky I would get frustrated because I would try to establish fS (long grounded stab) as a poke, which would get jumped over or counterpoked. My go-to anti air was 2h (big upward swing), but I would whiff it a lot, or get stuffed during it's long-ish startup.

What I realized was people would often jump when I walked or ran into fS range, or hard commit to a risky counterpoke or low profile move. So I started sometimes walking/running up into fS range and doing nothing, or fd cancelling my dash, then just looking to react to what happens next. Sure enough I would watch them whiff their counterpoke on reaction to my dash, or jump (giving me plenty of time to line up a clean anti air with 2h or 6p). Doing this successfully lets me actually run up and fS them more often, since it makes them pay for trying to roll the dice and jump over/slide under it.

Live Free
Jan 5, 2019

by VideoGames

SoftNum posted:

footsies is kind of a misleading term because you watch a video of two genius level players and they are cautiously wobbling around and respecting each others' ranges, but that's not going to happen the same way in your average tournament or online match. "neutral" in this case is a much better word and you can think of footsies as a way to accomplish neutral.

for example, if urien is just going wild with headbutts and shoulders, if sol is just constantly doing iad and/or fafnir, if dragunov is just constantly throwing out wr2, if Charlotte won't stop jumping at you, and you're trying to bait out a whiff punish, you're waiting for something that will never happen. they're going to run you over because you're spending a ton of mental RAM on something that doesn't help you win--RAM that could be better spent elsewhere.

but you know that, thats why you asked the question. and it's a great question btw. Most matches you play in your lifetime will not begin with respect already established, so you're going to have to show your opponent that they can't rely on strategies that are mentally easy for them. and that's what it comes down to. why would I not blanka ball over and over again if you don't know how to beat it? I get the satisfaction of winning without having to work for it. people are always going to take the path of least resistance in a match if you let them. you've seen this in action if you've ever heard anyone vocalize "oh, this guy can't tech throws" or something similar.

so instead of focusing on specific neutral tools like whiff punishment, you can use prior experience, matchup knowledge, and the beginning of a match to figure out how your opponent is going to play. these early options they choose are usually going to br their go-to "mentally easy" strategies, aka their autopilot. some people will wiggle back and forth like they're trying to play REAL HONEST FOOTSIES but unless they're actually really good, you can wait this out. they're eventually going to get tired of pretending, or realize it doesn't work, or get frustrated, and revert to their real strategy.

in 2d games, there are 2 major ways for an opponent to hit you: horizontally, or from the air. that's it. you can generally expect your opponent's approach to come from 1 of those 2 directions. shutting down their approach from the air is usually accomplished by anti-airing or air-to-airing. if you can shut down their air game, that leaves us with the ground game, but that doesn't mean your opponent is going to say "ok ok you got me, it's time to play footsies now". they probably have a ground gimmick or two. this is very game and character dependent, but big slow normals, dashing, etc go here. since they couldn't get in from the air, they are now going to try getting in on the ground. the ground is more dependent on gams and matchup intricacies than the air game, but it can still be simplified somewhat. the best case scenario is that you can damage your opponent for trying to get in on you horizontally. for example, if your opponent is dashing in constantly you might try to swat him away by whiffing light attacks here and there to check an unexpected dash. this is the same thing as anti-airing. you are anti-grounding him, but it's a similar concept.

when you have convinced your opponent, by checking his harebrained attempts to get in on you, that there is not an easy path ro beating your rear end, then the real game can begin and you can play honest neutral until he gets frustrated and starts taking risks, at which point the same guiding principles can put you back in control. basically, "what you should be looking for" is your opponent's gameplan in the broadest strokes you can get away with.

my last tip is just to remember fighting games have a ton of information on screen at once, and some of it is not obvious. in order for your opponent to accomplish anything, though, he has to reveal his plan to you to a certain extent. if an opponent wants to command grab you, first he has to get close to you. that forward movement, whether it's walking, dashing, or jumping, will usually indicate aggression. similarly, nobody is going to try to zone you out by getting up in your face. stationary movement usually indicates defensiveness, and backwards movement usually indicates evasiveness. use the clues your opponent is giving you to make educated predictions about his strategy and his next move, and try to hide the clues you're giving to your opponent as much as possible.

anyway this has gone on way too long so i hope that helps and if not at least everyone can get some laughs out of calling me an idiot.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

SoftNum posted:

This fucker keeps hitting me with his poo poo, now I'm gonna hit him with my poo poo!

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

exquisite tea posted:

This fucker keeps hitting me with his poo poo, now I'm gonna hit him with my poo poo!

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015

SoftNum posted:

Depending on the game/matchup, you can get a lot of mileage out of just blocking and being super patient for your opponent to fall into a pattern or do something super unsafe. This doesn't work against people who know what they're doing with a super offensive character/game, but will help a lot in just slowing down what to think about and focusing on one thing. From there, you move onto what pokes or counterattacks you're using to punish the mistake with and then what combos to do afterwards.

Alternatively, you can play a dumb character where their mix up isn't mixing up approaches but is simply "I bet you didn't expect me to do 236A a FIFTH time!"

https://youtu.be/lwLT8DsU5mE

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I generally fall into a pattern of getting fixated on landing some particular thing, which isn't really a game plan, or just trying to react to what they're doing, which between latency, flat guess mixups, and my old man reactions doesn't work too well. Running a consistent plan is definitely something I need to work on.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

OHHHH BOY WE GOT A GOOD NEW SAMSHO LEAK

And if nesica has promo material going in for him already along with him looking render complete as he does, the chances are pretty high he's coming in this year, the real dream will be if he drops with Kazuki next month.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice
Since every game is now a crossover, they should add the cast of Kimetsu no Yaiba to SamSho

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
When is goku with power pole coming to samsho?

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

chumbler posted:

I generally fall into a pattern of getting fixated on landing some particular thing, which isn't really a game plan, or just trying to react to what they're doing, which between latency, flat guess mixups, and my old man reactions doesn't work too well. Running a consistent plan is definitely something I need to work on.

I suck at reacting most of the time and like to drink while I play which probably doesn't help at all so instead of reacting I just make educated guesses about what I think they might do and it usually works out. I'll gently caress up teching gold throws in unist but I'll be damned if I'm gonna get hit by some incredibly telegraphed overhead again. It also helps me open people up myself, trying to think of ways to get in that they aren't looking for.

Alternatively, you don't have to block their mix if you never give them a turn in the first place

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Spanish Manlove posted:

When is goku with power pole coming to samsho?

It's only fair that Yajirobe gets added instead

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Put Sekiro in SamSho

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Yardbomb posted:

OHHHH BOY WE GOT A GOOD NEW SAMSHO LEAK

And if nesica has promo material going in for him already along with him looking render complete as he does, the chances are pretty high he's coming in this year, the real dream will be if he drops with Kazuki next month.

I really want to pick up samsho but I am worried that the player base is even smaller than UNIST and I will never be able to find people to play online with.

Live Free
Jan 5, 2019

by VideoGames

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

I really want to pick up samsho but I am worried that the player base is even smaller than UNIST and I will never be able to find people to play online with.

it's fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Xad posted:

Since every game is now a crossover, they should add the cast of Kimetsu no Yaiba to SamSho

Just squint at Shizumaru or Nekoruru and you're like 70% of the way there