Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Fires of Invention is my new bane, do I need to maindeck enchantment destruction

Also love it that I am getting all these decks when playing BR

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Tibalt posted:

I didn't see any mentions of draft bots in the patch notes

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.

Tibalt posted:

I didn't see any mentions of draft bots in the patch notes

Look harder?

quote:

RANKED DRAFT
- Various improvements to draft bot picks

Sjonkel
Jan 31, 2012
Should have refreshed first...

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Welp

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
You fool, you indescribable dullard

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

As useless a poster as he is a planeswalker, I say.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
everyone was making noises about brawl being all okos but i haven't seen one and 2/3s of my matches have been yarok field

Funkdreamer
Jul 15, 2005

It'll be a blast

quote:

Event Details: Each player begins the game with a Maelstrom Nexus emblem that has the following ability:

When you cast your first spell each turn, exile cards from the top of your library until you exile a nonland card that costs less. You may cast it without paying its mana cost. Put the exiled cards on the bottom of your library in a random order.

Banned Cards:
Flaxen Intruder
Wait, is the converted mana cost of adventure creatures their creature cost + the adventure cost? I don't get this ban.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I've been half watching Amazonian, and the only one Oko I've noticed missed their third land and scooped to her T4 Torbran.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Funkdreamer posted:

Wait, is the converted mana cost of adventure creatures their creature cost + the adventure cost? I don't get this ban.

the cmc of an adventure creature is the creature, but when it goes on the stack you pick whether you're casting the creature or the adventure

so in that case, you could cascade into flaxen and then cast her adventure for free at 2 mana

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hmmm what if it turned out the meta predictions of the MTG community turned out to be wrong for the first time in history

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I played a brawl oko and it did indeed suck. But also I hadn’t played a fields deck in a week so actually people just play what they want it seems.

Kawabata posted:

Thanks for the insight but you answered ironically to a 100% unironic question.

Sorry, just War was disgusting and miserable and now tef and narset and tamayo are all gonna ruin my day now that I’ve invoked their name.

I think you might be looking at a bunch of ‘playable’ stuff from eldraine and not seeing counterparts in war, but like war is on the rear end end of the cycle, green already had steel leaf champion and carnage tyrant and a dozen things besides, it didn’t need something like questing beast.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

There's no real need for meta.
There's no ladder and none of the rewards matter except to people who just want to play Brawl
I managed to win 5 in a row with my mono-G-except-for-Hydroid-Krasis Kiora build.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

quote:

Muting your opponents emotes no longer disables interactions with your own pet

For those who were complaining about this interaction earlier in the thread, they've apparently fixed it.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Kawabata posted:

Just bought the new 9.99 bundle. Now I'm off to crafting some new stuff and it's still surprising to me that almost everything that's rare/mythic and played right now is from Eldraine. Did Spark not have as many good cards or are its good cards somehow not powerful enough for the current meta?

Neither, really.

War had a lot of absolute bombs, but slower cards. ELD simply has more utility cards, better synergies, and more importantly - more flexible cards. A lot of the strongest cards in WAR were late game cards you had to build your deck around, either partially or completely. Think Nissa and Liliana, for instance, or Jace. The faster PWs like Narset and Teferi still see quite a bit of play, and there are some good utility cards in there as well - but there's no synergy as strong as Adventures in WAR, there's nothing as aggressive as Questing Beast or Oko (or even the Goose), and overall it was just a slower set.

The power levels are there, it's just less flexible and gets outraced by plenty of other cards from other sets.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

It's me, I'm the guy who played Oko for his Brawl Commander. It's funny how he houses any creature-based Commander just from his +1. Creatures that would have otherwise made respectful commanders (Niv, Yarok) just turn into 3/3 elks.

That being said Oko has no real way to deal with other PWers besides just out pacing them. Here's my dumb pile that could probably use some refinement but it's just Brawl:

Commander
1 Oko, Thief of Crowns (ELD) 197

Deck
1 Castle Vantress (ELD) 242
1 Opt (ELD) 59
10 Forest (ANA) 65
1 Questing Beast (ELD) 171
8 Island (ANA) 62
1 Trail of Crumbs (ELD) 179
1 Gilded Goose (ELD) 160
1 Breeding Pool (RNA) 246
1 Simic Guildgate (RNA) 257
1 Fabled Passage (ELD) 244
1 Temple of Mystery (M20) 255
1 Nissa, Who Shakes the World (WAR) 169
1 Paradise Druid (WAR) 171
1 Arboreal Grazer (WAR) 149
1 Growth Spiral (RNA) 178
1 Wicked Wolf (ELD) 181
1 Nightpack Ambusher (M20) 185
1 Voracious Hydra (M20) 200
1 Hydroid Krasis (RNA) 183
1 Tamiyo, Collector of Tales (WAR) 220
1 Golden Egg (ELD) 220
1 Feasting Troll King (ELD) 152
1 Maraleaf Pixie (ELD) 196
1 Negate (M20) 69
1 Leafkin Druid (M20) 178
1 Risen Reef (M20) 217
1 Once Upon a Time (ELD) 169
1 Yorvo, Lord of Garenbrig (ELD) 185
1 Pelt Collector (GRN) 141
1 Brineborn Cutthroat (M20) 50
1 Quench (RNA) 48
1 Sinister Sabotage (GRN) 54
1 Essence Capture (RNA) 37
1 Mystical Dispute (ELD) 58
1 Mission Briefing (GRN) 44
1 Wilderness Reclamation (RNA) 149
1 Spectral Sailor (M20) 76
1 Brazen Borrower (ELD) 39
1 Frilled Mystic (RNA) 174
1 Thrashing Brontodon (RIX) 148
1 Cavalier of Thorns (M20) 167
1 Ugin, the Ineffable (WAR) 2
1 Command Tower (ELD) 333

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
boooooooo

Festival of the Fae

Artisan
Event Details: Build a 60-card Standard constructed deck using only commons and uncommons.
Event Dates: November 3 – November 6
Entry Fee: 2500 Gold or 500 Gems
Banned Cards:

Cauldron Familiar

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Familiar is viable on ladder, what are you complaining about

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Bugsy posted:

boooooooo

Festival of the Fae

Artisan
Event Details: Build a 60-card Standard constructed deck using only commons and uncommons.
Event Dates: November 3 – November 6
Entry Fee: 2500 Gold or 500 Gems
Banned Cards:

Cauldron Familiar

Lol but that's also really lame.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
That deck would just completely go over the top of the rest of the format, it’s hard enough to interact favorably with a normal card pool.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

No Wave posted:

Familiar is viable on ladder, what are you complaining about

One of the events coming up is commons and uncommons only, but has a banned list for it.

Cauldron Familiar
Cavalcade of Calamity
Gates Ablaze
Persistent Petitioners

The bottom three I can understand, but the kitty isn't close to their level of power.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Kitty absolutely is. Card would be incredibly stupid in a format full of draft creatures.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

GrandpaPants posted:

It's me, I'm the guy who played Oko for his Brawl Commander. It's funny how he houses any creature-based Commander just from his +1. Creatures that would have otherwise made respectful commanders (Niv, Yarok) just turn into 3/3 elks.

That being said Oko has no real way to deal with other PWers besides just out pacing them. Here's my dumb pile that could probably use some refinement but it's just Brawl:

[decklist omitted]

Swap a Guardian Project in there somewhere.

Truth Quark
Mar 21, 2010

:ffg:
EAT THE DONUTS
:ffg:
Every time I get matched against a cat deck I sigh heavily not because it’s hard to deal with, but because it requires four clicks in every end step and the person piloting it inevitably takes about 2 minutes per activation of witch’s oven

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
What’s the best graveyard hate in the format besides Ashiok?

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Bust Rodd posted:

What’s the best graveyard hate in the format besides Ashiok?
Grafdigger Cage is in the format, isn't it?

Rhaegar
Jul 16, 2006

Truth Quark posted:

Every time I get matched against a cat deck I sigh heavily not because it’s hard to deal with, but because it requires four clicks in every end step and the person piloting it inevitably takes about 2 minutes per activation of witch’s oven

And the slowest of the slow always get the second oven.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

Truth Quark posted:

I think it depends on how much draw the deck has and if its alternative wincon (usually going aggro pretty hard but not always) is as solid as win by kitty. With 2 cats+ 2 ovens you're looking at least at 2 guaranteed damage per turn and 2 unkillable chump blockers, unless it's against Questing or Krasis which black can usually deal with anyway with removal. If you're too greedy you'll get the cats exiled but if you always have an oven untapped to save the kitty it shouldn't happen that often.

Even when they start slow Oven decks can sometimes stall a game for quite a long time, and if the opponent doesn't have enough healing or a commanding enough board position they're just going to lose. The latest Rakdos Aristocrats version seems viable at every level of play, with a decent matchup vs Oko decks thanks to Angrath's Rampage and Bedevil. It's no tier 1 but no deck without Oko in it currently is I suppose.

Kawabata fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Oct 24, 2019

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Playing against cook the cat usually goes like this for me

First 5ish turns - "We got this, we can run them over"

Turn 6-9 - "Wait let me do some math. How did this happen? Son of a..."

After - "Goddammit"

The deck isn't even super powerful but facing it feels like a bug trying to get out of a venus flytrap. That's respectable for a magic deck.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Does the new tiny XP reward for 15 wins stop at some point before the 15 wins are up, or is it for all of them?

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

Tom Gorman posted:

Playing against cook the cat usually goes like this for me

First 5ish turns - "We got this, we can run them over"

Turn 6-9 - "Wait let me do some math. How did this happen? Son of a..."

After - "Goddammit"

The deck isn't even super powerful but facing it feels like a bug trying to get out of a venus flytrap. That's respectable for a magic deck.

It feels like the deck shouldn't be this viable but weirdly it is. I think it's the combination of healing, continuous chip damage and chump blocking that makes it pretty resilient and the opponent not expecting to have to work that hard to beat it.

flatluigi posted:

Does the new tiny XP reward for 15 wins stop at some point before the 15 wins are up, or is it for all of them?

IIRC it's for all the daily 15 wins

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

flatluigi posted:

According to the initial description its 25 XP for the first ten wins of the day.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Spiderdrake posted:

According to the initial description its 25 XP for the first ten wins of the day.

Uhg that's gonna actually make my OCD F2P rear end grind more than I was. Can't give up my pack a day habit!

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

Zero VGS posted:

Uhg that's gonna actually make my OCD F2P rear end grind more than I was. Can't give up my pack a day habit!

I know right? It's straight up more xp available but I was content in being able to max out the XP fairly easily. It might make me play more though, sometimes I feel like I need to stop playing when I have my daily rewards done.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
If they really did adjust the bots, I sure hope this guy was playing a pre-patch deck.

(They played 5 in total. I didn't win.)

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Me an hour ago: “Oh boy after months of waiting I can just sit down and play my Yarok deck in Brawl, this is gonna be awesome”

Me now: “this 7th Yarok mirror match where they play all my best cards one turn before I play them sucks mad poo poo. I am literally watching my own deck go off in my face”

So now I’m building Oko.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I have Syr Konrad as my commander but I don't have enough black cards, I've never played Brawl and I'm a massive idiot. I won a game at least.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Bust Rodd posted:

Me an hour ago: “Oh boy after months of waiting I can just sit down and play my Yarok deck in Brawl, this is gonna be awesome”

Me now: “this 7th Yarok mirror match where they play all my best cards one turn before I play them sucks mad poo poo. I am literally watching my own deck go off in my face”

So now I’m building Oko.

I played against a Yarok deck where they ramped real fast from Rising Reefs then played a single Agent of Treachery to steal 2 of my 4 basic lands. I feel like you should go to prison for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Honestly it felt positively karmic to spend like 20 minutes throwing all the meanest and most obvious ETBs into the deck and then immediately be made to endure all of them, twice at a time, over and over again, like Dante’s Inferno but with magic cards instead of hell.