Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Who What Now posted:

Oh so the souls of the people the Snarl kills aren't completely obliterated, they're just turned into the proto-souls of trillions of single-celled organisms.? That's cool and definitely not hellish in it's own right.

no,more that she didn't sense anything living because that spot is way out in the middle and there is nothing to be sensed.

What kind of range would she have anyway with being able to detect a mind? 500 miles? a thousand?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Johnny Aztec posted:

What kind of range would she have anyway with being able to detect a mind? 500 miles? a thousand?

Sufficient distance to establish that there is no sentient life on that world.

This isn't an actual scientific endeavour, the purpose of that scene is to give the audience a glimpse of the Snarl's world. If the person looking at it says there is no sentient life, then there is no sentient life, otherwise you're straight up lying to the audience for no gain.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Johnny Aztec posted:

Except that in the deep* ocean there is actually little life hanging around. You have great ocean deserts, essentially.
Which is pedantic and lessens her comment, so its not actually that.

* that is not depth, but rather far from land.

Eh, Lauren didn't detect any fish and was clearly expecting to. I think that's more significant than real world aquatic life habitation patterns when considering whether or not Snarlworld is inhabited.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
My personal pet theory is that the snarl isn’t just some reality-destroying monster but that the gods accidentally created string theory and it’s some sort of ‘rational’ universe trying to overwrite the fantastical one the gods created. Of course I have absolutely no supporting evidence for this.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Gynovore posted:

OK so here's my prediction. I'm guessing that after thousands and thousands of worlds (millions?) and billions of years, the hatred slowly drained out of the Snarl. That world we saw inside the rift is home to some or all of the souls it devoured, who are now living peacefully. I'm guessing that Durkon and friends will eventually convince Redcloak and The Dark One about the mission to contain the Snarl (possibly after weakening their position by killing Xykon) but then they find out that imprisoning the Snarl would destroy those souls, so they look for another solution.

That doesn't really scan with it still being angry enough to have killed Soon's wife back in the day, unless it's some Lovecraftian nightmare that can't help but kill people.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Johnny Aztec posted:

no,more that she didn't sense anything living because that spot is way out in the middle and there is nothing to be sensed.

I don't have the Expanded Psionics Handbook on hand but I'd wager to guess that a near- or above Epic level psion could detect pretty dang far.

But it's completely fair to bring up that they could have been looking at a blank piece of ocean, I can't argue that.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Wanderer posted:

That doesn't really scan with it still being angry enough to have killed Soon's wife back in the day, unless it's some Lovecraftian nightmare that can't help but kill people.

It's a crayon drawing. My personal unfounded theory is that all crayon drawings are either outright lies, or stories so eroded by time that they might as well be.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
While crayon memories are probably not the full truth (as most memories and retellings aren't), I have no reason to believe Soon of all people would lie about how his wife died.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
It also lashed out at Laurin as soon as she started prodding her nose in there, and killed a bunch of soldiers. I’m pretty sure that strip meant to explicitly show us that while we don’t understand the Snarl or what it’s doing in there, the threat laid out in the crayon panels was very much on the nose.

Also Laurin says the rift is so lifeless it can’t even be a portal to the Elemental Plane of Water, which I’m pretty sure is more sparsely populated than any ocean on a planet with life. If there’s any life in there, it’s not in a form Laurin would recognize, so microbial early life undergoing evolution could be a possibility, but the souls et by the Snarl living on seems like a stretch.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
My own personal dumb pet theory is that Belkar is somehow the remnant of one of the dead Western gods, specifically Ares. My evidence for this is that he's dressed primarily in green (the color of the Western pantheon's quiddity) and the fact that he's a "sexy, shoeless god of war." Somehow, whatever ends up killing him will end up with him regaining his divine power, and provide another quiddity to either help seal or destroy the Snarl for good.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
There is a chance that whatever form the final battle/ritual against the Snarl will render the OOTS homeworld uninhabitable so everyone got to the fresh but actively lifeless world. Which will also so happen to be out of the domain of the gods, forcing them (and probably the dark one along with them) to have to create a new reality while everyone else gets cut off from the old

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

W.T. Fits posted:

My own personal dumb pet theory is that Belkar is somehow the remnant of one of the dead Western gods, specifically Ares. My evidence for this is that he's dressed primarily in green (the color of the Western pantheon's quiddity) and the fact that he's a "sexy, shoeless god of war." Somehow, whatever ends up killing him will end up with him regaining his divine power, and provide another quiddity to either help seal or destroy the Snarl for good.

Also, the mythological Ares was a real rear end in a top hat, interested pretty much only in fighting and loving. Belkar is, ironically enough, better developed as a person than Ares was because he also likes cooking and a cat!

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

World Famous W posted:

While crayon memories are probably not the full truth (as most memories and retellings aren't), I have no reason to believe Soon of all people would lie about how his wife died.

Soon probably didn't, but it's very possible that Shojo did.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

jng2058 posted:

Also, the mythological Ares was a real rear end in a top hat, interested pretty much only in fighting and loving. Belkar is, ironically enough, better developed as a person than Ares was because he also likes cooking and a cat!

Isn't this largely because most of the mythology we have is from Athens, who wanted to write everything so Athena was awesome and Ares (the patron of their rivals) was a dumb jerk?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
What, do you think the Spartan version of Ares wasn’t a massive dick who only cared about fightin and fuckin?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

At the very least, they probably wouldn't consider the fighting and loving an rear end in a top hat move.

Isn't there a bit where they say how he cries like a baby when he gets wounded in battle?

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

SlothfulCobra posted:

At the very least, they probably wouldn't consider the fighting and loving an rear end in a top hat move.

Isn't there a bit where they say how he cries like a baby when he gets wounded in battle?

And goes runnin' home to daddy for kisses on his booboos, yup.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

What, do you think the Spartan version of Ares wasn’t a massive dick who only cared about fightin and fuckin?

No that's the Spartan version of Aphrodite

Ares was just fightin

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, Sparta has Aphrodite as a war goddess, unlike most of Greece which took that aspect out of her. Because, well, Aphrodite was probably originally Ishtar and got imported, Sparta being one of the first places she arrived and also one of the few parts of Greece that'd view her being a war goddess as a good thing, whereas the rest downplayed that part a lot, to the point that in the Iliad she's outright told by Zeus that she shouldn't be out on the battlefield, because sexism. (Edit: Well, being a war goddess alongside a goddess of beauty and sex that is; Athena probably got away with it because her other focuses were things like wisdom, and also because Athens was full of itself.)

Overly Sarcastic Productions did a good video on her earlier this year. I highly recommend it (and their other videos; they're good in general really).

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Oct 25, 2019

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Same, I got hooked on them with last year’s H.P. Lovecraft highlights video that they did for Halloween; looking forward to seeing what they’ve got for this year.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Who What Now posted:

I don't have the Expanded Psionics Handbook on hand but I'd wager to guess that a near- or above Epic level psion could detect pretty dang far.

But it's completely fair to bring up that they could have been looking at a blank piece of ocean, I can't argue that.

Nah, I'm just being pedantic and thinking about it like an actual event but this person:

Tenebrais posted:

Sufficient distance to establish that there is no sentient life on that world.

This isn't an actual scientific endeavour, the purpose of that scene is to give the audience a glimpse of the Snarl's world. If the person looking at it says there is no sentient life, then there is no sentient life, otherwise you're straight up lying to the audience for no gain.

is correct that as a STORY there would be no point to it just being deep ocean.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Who What Now posted:

The fiends have never once lied, and in fact have gone to extreme lengths to prove that they are truthful about what they want to accomplish. So I don't see why we should assume they're going to suddenly be a bunch of lying liars that lied about their goals just so they could backstab all of existence at the last second. They're all Evil, not Stupid.

They did lie, when they told V that he/she could go send their own severed head back to the boat and Durkon could resurrect him in time to deliver a message to V's old master. Durkon and Elan were already gone from the boat by then. The lie just didn't matter because they knew V wasn't likely to do that plan anyway.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

I imagine Xyklon doing this right after he became a lich, before he could research magical skeleton eyebrows.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
:siren: #1184: Regeneration Gap

Not surprising that after 55 years, it's hard to change one's ways.

Looks like we're just about out of time here. Good thing too, that book needs to go to the printers soon.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
I guess dwarves are catholic

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I’m not sure it’s the intended meaning, but I like to read this as Durkon starting to outgrow his mom, the certified Best character.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I’m not sure it’s the intended meaning, but I like to read this as Durkon starting to outgrow his mom, the certified Best character.

Mebbe, but if you told durkon that he'd flip

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

ikanreed posted:

Mebbe, but if you told durkon that he'd flip

He'd need a nat 20 on his athletics check though.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
”You don’t have to give up one for the other.” Durkon’s grown so much. :unsmith:

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

At this point, I wonder if she's had one arm for longer than she's had two. That's got to reinforce the sentimentality of keeping the loss permanent.

I don't think we've seen her be directly inconvenienced by her lack of an arm in the comic, but if anyone knows about how much she could use another arm, Durkon does. She's trying very hard with weaker and weaker excuses to stop Durkon from helping her, I wonder if there's another emotional level to the whole thing that she's hiding. Maybe she's afraid of being "open" to finding love again? Who knows.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
We did see that not having an arm meant she couldn't be a guard (or militia captain or whatever) and that brought very direct financial troubles down on her and her son for years all the way into Durkon's adulthood when he became a Cleric 1. But she's obviously adapted since then and is thriving, and it's understandable that she wouldnt want to go back.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
It's not about the arm, it's what it represents. Durkons father

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Durkons father is literally getting blitzed and loving all comers in heaven

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Spitball: we're gonna see belkars protection from evil not hurt him someday

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

SlothfulCobra posted:

At this point, I wonder if she's had one arm for longer than she's had two. That's got to reinforce the sentimentality of keeping the loss permanent.

I don't think we've seen her be directly inconvenienced by her lack of an arm in the comic, but if anyone knows about how much she could use another arm, Durkon does. She's trying very hard with weaker and weaker excuses to stop Durkon from helping her, I wonder if there's another emotional level to the whole thing that she's hiding. Maybe she's afraid of being "open" to finding love again? Who knows.

Yeah probably. She got it before Durkon was born and Durkon is a lot older than most of the Order as is.

I think it's mostly survivors guilt, but there's also the fact that she did raise Durkon to be someone who would say " bein' a dwarf is about doin' yer duty, even if it makes ye miserable. ESPECIALLY if it makes ye miserable!" I think she's at least partly internalized that to think that her suffering from having one arm mean she's doing the right thing.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Durkons father is literally getting blitzed and loving all comers in heaven

As Roy's mom said, that vow was from death do we part, and she held up her end of it.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Don't forget that healing his mom's arm was the entire reason Durkon wanted to become a cleric in the first place. Since they couldn't afford to pay a cleric to cast regeneration magic on her arm, he figured he'd go cleric it up until he could use regeneration magic and do the healing himself. It's no wonder he's acting uncharacteristically frustrated about it. His entire cleric career, including all those years of exile, has ultimately all been for this moment...and it's not exactly living up to his childhood dreams.

Sigdi spent most of her life rationalizing and justifying the way she lost her arm and then gave up chances to get it regenerated, even though she faced plenty of hardship as a result. Maybe she feels like it'll all be for nothing if she doesn't stick to it for the rest of her life, despite the fact that regrowing her arm won't do anything to hurt those who were helped by her sacrifices. But she's not the other one who's got decades of suffering backing her position here. Durkon spent most of his life working to get the power he'd need in order to heal her arm, and he faced no shortage of hardships on that path either, having recently faced obstacles like "being exiled", "being dead", and "being undead". So no shock that he's pushing back against her.

We know Durkon's dwarfy enough to be perfectly fine with suffering and sacrificing for a good reason, but we also know that he's not thrilled about suffering and sacrificing for what feels like no reason at all.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Totally agreeing with the sentiment that Durkon is totally in the right here. It's understandable why Sigdi is refusing and as an old, stubborn woman Durkon isn't going to move her, but the message "It's okay to let go," is something she needs to hear.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

As someone who has tried and failed to get my mother to text this is resonating

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Johnny Aztec posted:

I imagine Xyklon doing this right after he became a lich, before he could research magical skeleton eyebrows.

I still can't tell if all these years later, people misspell Xykon's name as an intentional joke or what.