Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
final conflict (the omen part 3) was loving awesome
screw the critics. i seriously cant find any strong coherent criticism against the movie other than that nobody wanted another omen movie :qq: and critics in the 80s were dumb as gently caress and tried to be pretentious and crap over many many awesome movies
the antichrist is the protagonist and hes played by sam neil and its amazing

i hereby declare final conflict my lock of the week

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Cubone posted:

[joker spoilers]
thank you!!

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
What really got me in GREEN ROOM was when Chekov goes to pass his gun (lol) through the door and starts screaming. You think he's just screaming as they try and pry the empty gun from his hand but you find out they were holding his arm and just loving slashing it to ribbons with box cutters.

loving harrowing.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

Drunken Baker posted:

What really got me in GREEN ROOM was when Chekov goes to pass his gun (lol) through the door and starts screaming. You think he's just screaming as they try and pry the empty gun from his hand but you find out they were holding his arm and just loving slashing it to ribbons with box cutters.

loving harrowing.

My favourite line in that film is “Oh dear!”

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
A recommendation and a request:

The Terror is an awesome TV show. Loosely based on the semi mystery of what happened to 2 missing British ice breaker ships trying to find the arctic passage sometime round 1850. There is a supernatural threat out there but it does a good job of making the environment seem just as hostile and deadly. A second season has come out recently but I don't like it as much despite the interesting setting (internment camp for Japanese in ww2 america gets stalked by an evil spirit).

Which brings me to ask for recommendations. I used to not bother with horror much but I'm starting to come around to it. I really like stuff like the above where its not just the monster but the setting - watched The Ritual on the threads suggestion and loved it. Kind of hard describe what I'm after really. Haunted house stuff is not really my jam, I guess I like a general unease and sense of dread rather than ooo spooky ghost

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

el dingo posted:

Which brings me to ask for recommendations. I used to not bother with horror much but I'm starting to come around to it. I really like stuff like the above where its not just the monster but the setting - watched The Ritual on the threads suggestion and loved it. Kind of hard describe what I'm after really. Haunted house stuff is not really my jam, I guess I like a general unease and sense of dread rather than ooo spooky ghost

If you're up for some TV shows that are kind of in the vein of the Terror:

Channel Zero.

There are 4 seasons, each one is based on an internet creepypasta. It's "based' in that it takes the basic concept and expands it into a full blown 6 episode season with twists, turns, character development, and wonderfully weird and memorable imagery. There are 4 seasons, I'll give you a quick rundown of them:

1) Candle Cove. Based off that story we all know, a guy goes back to his hometown and discoveries the mysterious history of a weird TV show. Very good if you're into creepy kids, creepy puppets, and an overall sense of dread.

2) No-End House. Teens go into a haunted house attraction only to discover it contains an entire world inside of it. John Carroll Lynch loving steals the show as one girl's dad, seemingly brought back from the dead by the No-End House.

3) Butcher's Block. Two sisters move to a new city that's seemingly haunted by a serial killer and is definitely preyed upon by a rich upper-crust family. This is my favorite one by far with some amazing visuals, good gore, and Rutger Hauer as the leader of the weird rich family.

4) Dream Door. A couple moves into a new house and they discover a weird door in their basement. Probably the weakest season overall in terms of plot, but Troy James plays the weird "imaginary friend" Pretzel Jack and is constantly twisting himself up into knots, crawling through vents, and all kinds of crazy stuff.

I'd say start with season 2 or 3 to find out if it's right for you, but then check out all of them.

Sound Mr. Brown
Feb 21, 2005

The love of learning, the sequestered nooks,
And all the sweet serenity of books.

el dingo posted:

A recommendation and a request:

The Terror is an awesome TV show. Loosely based on the semi mystery of what happened to 2 missing British ice breaker ships trying to find the arctic passage sometime round 1850. There is a supernatural threat out there but it does a good job of making the environment seem just as hostile and deadly. A second season has come out recently but I don't like it as much despite the interesting setting (internment camp for Japanese in ww2 america gets stalked by an evil spirit).

Read the book! Simmons builds and maintains that atmosphere for like a thousand pages or something. It's great. Ditto his book Abominable.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

A Fancy Hat posted:

Channel Zero.

Thank you for this. Mostly. I started season 3 to check it out and it's pretty good so far, but I'm sad to find out that it's been canceled by SyFy. I'm hoping Amazon or Netflix saves it because it sounds like they didn't shy away from going in freaky directions with it.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

I'm way behind on my horror movie schedule this month, but here are a few more we watched over the last week:

Paranormal Activity Yeah, they bled this thing dry and by the end of the franchise it's insanely predictable and filled with bizarre and contradictory lore that does nothing except overexplain stuff and make it dumb as hell. But man, this first movie is GOOD. There's a lot of jump scares, but they're set up well and the movie builds tension in a lot of clever ways. You'll see the timestamp in the corner go zipping by for a while, then it slows down. And you *know* something is about to happen.

They also do a great job of showing the same hallway or room multiple times, training you to look in every corner and dark doorway to try and see something.

The first time I watched this was on TV with my dad. My dad had never heard of the movie and thought it was a documentary. When we got to the Ouija board catching on fire he paused the TV, stood up, and said "So this loving proved ghosts are real? How did I not know this?". I had to explain then it was a found footage film, but I can't even imagine how terrifying this was to my Dad, thinking it was all real.

Paranormal Activity: The Ghost Dimension What a huge piece of poo poo movie. All that scary stuff in the first movie? Who gives a poo poo, it's all some demon's evil plot and there's time travel or maybe I'm remember that little kid wrong? I tried looking at Wikipedia to explain it and just ended up more confused.

Anyway the big gimmick of this one is a camera that lets you see the ghosts. So again, you're taking a spooky premise and turning it into a gimmick at a crappy haunted house. "Welcome to the ghost dimension, a 4-d experience" and a fan blows some cold air on you while a guy in a crappy costume walks around the room. I think that someone mentions that the camera has "extra tubes" in it or something? I guess that lets you see ghosts. But if you're taking a plot point (spooky camera) from Goosebumps you know you're in trouble.

I don't know why so many movies seem to think we need 100% of a spooky thing explained. If you hear a knocking at your front door, open it, and nobody's there? That's spooky. If you find out that an evil demon named Tobi was standing there (while invisible) and knocking on the door to distract you so a witch could cast a spell on your camera and then your daughter would get a crappy CGI demon face and run at you? That's not spooky, that's just stupid.

Telebite
Aug 23, 2018

If you're into the more grindhouse 70 - 80's themed gory horror, check out Found. It has a "movie within a movie," where the characters watch a movie called "Headless", which was actually filmed as a 24 minute short film, but it's represented as a feature length movie in Found. It proved popular enough that they actually did later on make "Headless" as a feature length 85 minute movie.

Headless is on Screambox.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Dementropy posted:

Time to watch Prince of Darkness again.

I got to see this a few weeks ago in the actual church they originally filmed it in. It was converted into a theater center during the 90s but the outside is still distinctly recognizable.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Hello?

Hello?

Hello?

I have a message for you.

And you are not going to like it.

Telebite
Aug 23, 2018

Another "movie within a movie"... Anguish!

From 1987, with Zelda Rubinstein and Michael Lerner.

I remember I got a French Blu-Ray which looked great but it had forced French subtitles when the original English audio was selected; I had to use AnyDVD to make a copy where the user can switch the subs off.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

I know this probably belongs in the hills you're willing to die on thread but the first paranormal activity sucks loving balls and nothing "happens" or "goes down" until the literal last scene in the movie which, if you've ever seen a preview for, you've already seen because that's the payoff for an hour and a half of nothing and nothing else happens so they had to use it. My partner and I have been getting through a lot of movies recommended in this thread and I'd rather watch under the skin again or the surprisingly wet fart hereditary than sit through the most boring "horror" movie ever made, garbage rear end paranormal activity.

Watch Eyes of My Mother, a horror movie so loving tense you'll swear it's a 3 hour movie even though it's like an hour 20. Do not bother seeing the director's following movie Pierce as it is poo poo. But Eyes of My Mother is super good. If you liked the vuhvitch or get out you'll like this.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

OxMan posted:

I know this probably belongs in the hills you're willing to die on thread but the first paranormal activity sucks loving balls and nothing "happens" or "goes down" until the literal last scene in the movie which, if you've ever seen a preview for, you've already seen because that's the payoff for an hour and a half of nothing and nothing else happens so they had to use it. My partner and I have been getting through a lot of movies recommended in this thread and I'd rather watch under the skin again or the surprisingly wet fart hereditary than sit through the most boring "horror" movie ever made, garbage rear end paranormal activity.

I was going to say something but figured, eh not worth it. But those are my thoughts exactly. It's not even a slow buildup. There is no build. Just minor things barely happening at a constant pace and then something happens at the very end which wasn't scary. Like Blair Witch.

dead prez
Sep 22, 2019

Everytime I look around, I see
So much drama goin down
Everytime I look around, I see
So much fakeness goin down
ive yet to see anything better than pumpkinhead, a puppet designed to skare and eat children

potee
Jul 23, 2007

Or, you know.

Not fine.

Drunken Baker posted:

For a real scare turn your monitor... to whatever program you use to watch films and watch The Borderlands sometimes known as "Final Prayer". The Vatican send a priest and a tech-guy to a small church in the middle of nowhere Scotland in order to verify (but more likely to debunk) a haunting.

Although it's a found footage film (and includes one obvious, but character driven jump scare) the movie is soaked with tension, atmosphere and dread. The two leads have fantastic chemistry and are constantly at odds with the locals (and the land itself) as they film and document the site of the supernatural activity. Mark Kermode said he was desperate for a breather in the final act when things escalate and he's a massive horror snob.

Speaking of the end, I'd implore anyone who's interested in the film to avoid the trailers and to really settle in and absorb everything that's presented to you. Everyone I've known who I've bullied into watching "another dumb found footage film" has ended up saying they just couldn't stop thinking about it for days after.

From way back on the second page, but I ended up coming across this (listed as "Final Prayer") on Tubi of all things, and pretty much agree with all of this. The found footage aspect is barely noticeable, and the one noted jump scare gave me the impression it was included just to mock the trope a bit.

If I had to nitpick I thought the acting from the tech guy was a little weak here and there in the first half, but the last act is incredibly intense and just does not let up until the credits roll.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I really enjoyed the first Paranormal Activity. I've even seen it 3 times! Imagine that!
But I really love the found footage genre.

My favorite FF's are 'As Above, So Below' and 'Grave Encounters'. Highly recommended!

immortalyawn
May 28, 2013

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The genre youre gonna want is Horror, you thank me later.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

That song from under the skin is legitimately creepy.

e: https://youtu.be/c7rY10hY8Cw

It has one of the scarier scenes I've ever seen in a horror movie, definitely worth watching even if I'd say the entire thing is more of a 3/5.

SilvergunSuperman fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Oct 25, 2019

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

potee posted:

From way back on the second page, but I ended up coming across this (listed as "Final Prayer") on Tubi of all things, and pretty much agree with all of this. The found footage aspect is barely noticeable, and the one noted jump scare gave me the impression it was included just to mock the trope a bit.

If I had to nitpick I thought the acting from the tech guy was a little weak here and there in the first half, but the last act is incredibly intense and just does not let up until the credits roll.

I'm made up people are watching and liking the film. It's can be such a hard sell at times and I fear I come off like a weirdo when I endorse it so much.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

SilvergunSuperman posted:

That song from under the skin is legitimately creepy.

e: https://youtu.be/c7rY10hY8Cw

It has one of the scarier scenes I've ever seen in a horror movie, definitely worth watching even if I'd say the entire thing is more of a 3/5.
It's not exactly a horror movie though, but it does have the whole psychological horror / subverted expectations thing going on because you start the movie thinking "Yay, I always wanted to see The Black Widow naked!" and you finish the movie thinking "Harrumph, it turns out I really wanted to see The Black Widow naked like ten years ago."

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Drunken Baker posted:

I'm made up people are watching and liking the film. It's can be such a hard sell at times and I fear I come off like a weirdo when I endorse it so much.

You were right about the ending sticking with you.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

This is probably more a thriller than a horror movie, but I saw Crawl yesterday and it was pretty good. Synopsis: some people are menaced/killed by huge killer alligators in Florida during a cat 5 hurricane and flooding.

I liked that it was really well built. All the tools the survivors use to survive are seen in the background before they are needed, nothing just appears. They establish in the beginning that the pretty girl is a swim champ, so it's plausible that she is very strong for her frame and also has a chance the times she needs to swim in the floodwaters. All the people are acting like people (or at least like Florida Man). People do some dumb things, but they are things that really happen during hurricanes. Nobody is doing completely senseless things just to advance the plot or set up a cool death.

Content warning: There is a little dog which is used to increase tension for people who don't care about humans being eaten by monsters/wildlife. The dog lives.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

OxMan posted:

I know this probably belongs in the hills you're willing to die on thread but the first paranormal activity sucks loving balls
It was not a film I liked either.

quote:

Watch Eyes of My Mother, a horror movie so loving tense you'll swear it's a 3 hour movie even though it's like an hour 20. Do not bother seeing the director's following movie Pierce as it is poo poo. But Eyes of My Mother is super good. If you liked the vuhvitch or get out you'll like this.
I hate black and white movies but I'm gonna give this a go.

Possum - written and directed by Matthew Holness, the guy behind Garth Marenghi's Dark Place. Not necessarily a horror but creepy as hell and guaranteed to ruin your evening.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

toiletbrush posted:

Which means you hate movies such as Young Frankenstein and Dead Man which means you should just go now. Shut the door.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I saw Hausu in the Scream Stream last night.

That's uh... well that movie sure is something. It's a Japanese movie made in 1977. I don't know about everyone else but I saw some huge precursors to anime. I really don't know how to describe this movie. It's so over the top and insane. Basically a bunch of school girls go to a house and it's sort of haunted. I guess. I don't know. It was really fun though even though my brain couldn't process a lot of what was happening.

I don't know if I can recommend smoking weed before watching it. I did, but I really could have used all of my mental faculties to try to understand wtf is happening.

It really isn't my style and I don't know why I like it but I actually recommend this movie.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I don't know if I can recommend smoking weed before watching it. I did, but I really could have used all of my mental faculties to try to understand wtf is happening.

It really isn't my style and I don't know why I like it but I actually recommend this movie.

i fully recommend smoking weed before watching this movie.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

toiletbrush posted:

It was not a film I liked either.

I hate black and white as a stylistic choice and I literally forgot it's even a thing with eyes of my mother because it's just that good. Like I couldn't imagine it in color because it feels so drab and dreary it belongs in B&W and again... I usually hate movies that are B&W on purpose. Shame it's a total fluke since the next movie by the dude is such (color) poo poo.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

John F Bennett posted:

I really enjoyed the first Paranormal Activity. I've even seen it 3 times! Imagine that!
But I really love the found footage genre.

My favorite FF's are 'As Above, So Below' and 'Grave Encounters'. Highly recommended!

You are a man of refined class and taste :golfclap:

curlys gold
Jan 17, 2018

Terrified is a funky little Argentinian spookfest with lots of verve. I don’t normally seek out slick-looking, modern haunting movies but this one has a creepy mean streak and I’ve already watched it multiple times.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Last page, Cubone posted one of Keith Thompson's amazing works of art, the Pripyat Beast.

For those who have never checked out his website, there are short paragraphs that accompany most of his works, and they really do an amazing job of stimulating the imagination. Here's the bit that goes with the Pripyat Beast:

Anyway, they aren't horror movies, but a lot of these pieces have established creepy and unsettling settings that beat out a lot of books and movies in the genre.

Also, he's done Alternate Timeline History stuff, with World War 2 mechs, so there's that, if you're on the fence.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Just saw Devil's Pass aka The Dyatlov Pass Incident. It was good! Another great entry in the found footage genre.

It can probably best be described as Blair Witch but in the snow.

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

But I think those are eyes...
(source)
The Devil's Candy is a fun - its about a struggling painter who maybe kinda might be possessed by the devil or perhaps the power of heavy metal itself

Fucken rules, and has the wobbly eyed fella from Constantine in it. Great soundtrack, cool visuals, no characters that poo poo me.

Th Kirlian Frequency is an animated fictional radio series from Argentina, if you like spooky animated weirdness. Apparently if you like Welcome to the Night Vale you'll like this, but I have no idea.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Finally watched Candyman since it's on Netflix and loved it. The scene where Helen meets Candyman and is entranced by him, only to wake up in Ann Marie's apartment covered in blood with a decapitated dog and a bloody crib in the next room was disorienting as hell and probably my favorite scene in the movie. The Philip Glass score and the urban decay really added a lot. I know Jordan Peele is doing a remake and it'll be interesting to see what he does with the material. There are class and race disparity undercurrents throughout, from Candyman being the ghost of an educated son of a slave who is killed in a spectacle lynching to some really subtle (and maybe unintentional) colorism stuff involving the main character's friend and research partner.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

It's not a whole movie, but this scared the dickens out of me when I was 10.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkf4Cmv0-c0

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Sign me up.

I just looked it up and Jenette Goldstein (Vasquez) is in it. It's an Aliens reunion.

She saw “Aliens reunion” and thought it said,”illegal Aliens reunion” and signed up.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Watched a bunch of movies recommended in this thread, and it was good. Thanks, thread!

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Can we talk about spooky movies more now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I like spooky movies.